The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Nobility

Heres a little more on the queen giving out Maundry money:

http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/inde...?id=72376&pt=n

"
The Queen distributed silver Maundy coins to 80 men and 80 women - signifying her age - at a service in Guildford Cathedral in Surrey today.

Wearing a woven cream ensemble, the Queen arrived at the hilltop cathedral accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh ahead of the service which marks a tradition dating back to at least the 12th century.".......

Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

The Queen gives out Maundy money

Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looks Splendid :)
Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Nobility

from anglican communion.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QueenMaundyThursday.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	238141  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Nobility

From anglican communiion.org
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	acns2922-2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	238140  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Nobility

I wanted to share these photos from today... Its my first time attaching photos, I hope I attached these right, if they are too big, sorry about that!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Some images from abaca
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	482763.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	238102   Click image for larger version

Name:	482764.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	238103   Click image for larger version

Name:	482766.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	238104   Click image for larger version

Name:	482768.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	238105  

Name:	482838.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	238106  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Aristocracy

It is the same outfit Queen was wearing to the Charles&Camilla wedding, isn't it?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Royal Highness

you know i really have to say the when HM is out in public, she never disappoints in terms of her outfit does she? she always looks so stunning!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnesK
It is the same outfit Queen was wearing to the Charles&Camilla wedding, isn't it?
Yes, exactly ! what a beautiful outfit!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_ptit_diablotin
Yes, exactly ! what a beautiful outfit!
Beautiful indeed. I really like it :)
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Aristocracy

Talking 2007 Royal Maundy Thursday service.

Does anyone know where this year's Royal Maundy Thursday service is taking place? Being a member of the Anglican Church,this is of interest to me.As I am also a numismatist (coin collector),I know for a fact that 81 men & 81 women will be chosen for their service to the Church & the community,& that they will be given 81 Pence (8 sets of 10p.,plus an extra silver Maundy 1p. coin).

There are 4 denominations in a set given out at the Royal Maundy Thursday service - 1p.,2p.,3p.,& 4p.Prior to 1971,they were 1d.,2d.,3d.,& 4d.

Here's an article; Maundy money - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

We do perform the Maundy Thursday ceremony in our local parish church.Yes,we do get a foot washed as part of the service.

Here's another article; Maundy Thursday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Aidan.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist0007
Does anyone know where this year's Royal Maundy Thursday service is taking place? ...
It will take place in the Manchester Cathedral as per the Royal Diary.
Quote:
Thursday, 5th April 2007
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will be present at the Maundy Service in Manchester Cathedral. Her Majesty will distribute the Royal Maundy during the Service.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
It will take place in the Manchester Cathedral as per the Royal Diary.
That's very good to read.I can guess that the British coin collectors will be interested in this,as they already have a list of the venues where the Royal Maundy service have taken place between 1953 & 2006.

Aidan.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh depart from the Maundy Thursday service at Manchester Cathedral, Manchester, UK, 05/04/2007.

Pictures:
The Queen and Prince Philip leaving the Cathedral 1
The Queen and Prince Philip leaving the Cathedral 2

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh

Gallery of pictures from ISIFA
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

A couple of more Galleries from Maundy Thursday service.

Gallery of pictures from Abaca
Gallery of pictures from Wenn
Gallery of pictures from Getty
Gallery of pictures from Getty 2

I love this picture of the Queen.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Nobility

It is beautiful Queen Elizabeths dress and flowers!!!Queen is grand old lady in royal family and good alert! She is elegant dress!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen distributes Maundy money in Manchester

The Queen brought some spring cheer to pensioners in Manchester on Thursday when she arrived in the city to celebrate the traditional beginning of Easter weekend.
Accompanied by Prince Philip, the monarch attended the Maundy Thursday service - celebrated this year in Manchester cathedral - where ceremonial purses of money are distributed to pensioners chosen by clerics for their services to the church and community. The ceremony dates back to the 18th century, but it is the first time it has been held in the northern city.

Pictures:
The Queen, Prince Philip emerge from the Cathedral
The queen is presented flowers by a local girl (what a lovely curtsey)
The Queen smiles as she receives flowers
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Queen hands out Maundy Thursday Money - March 20, 2008

In a ceremony dating back to the reign of Edward I, Longshanks in the 13th century, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will hand out coins on Maundy Thursday this year on March 20, 2008.

Maundy Thursday is the traditional night observed when Jesus Christ first broke the bread with his disciples and instituted the Lord's Supper. It is a very important date in the Christian calendar which the British monarch has historically observed by passing out Maundy Thursday coins. A collection of these images, including the coins, can be found at this link.

The night of Maundy Thursday is the night on which Jesus was betrayed by Judas in the Garden of Gethsemane. The word maundy comes from the Latin command (mandate) given by Christ at the Last Supper, that we should love one another.

In Britain, the sovereign takes part in the Ceremony of the Royal Maundy This ceremony, held at a great cathedral, involves the distribution of Maundy money to deserving senior citizens (one man and one woman for each year of the sovereign's age), usually chosen for having done service to their community. They receive ceremonial red and white purses which contain coins made especially for the occasion. The white purse contains one coin for each year of the monarch's reign. The red purse contains money in place of other gifts that used to be given to the poor. This year's ceremony will take place at Armagh.

In the 17th century, and earlier, the King or Queen would wash the feet of the selected poor people as a gesture of humility, and in remembrance of Jesus' washing the feet of the disciples. The last monarch to do this was James 2. The ceremony of the monarch giving money to the poor on this day dates back to Edward I.

Here is a gallery of images from the Queen's website: Royal Insight > March 2008 > Focus > Maundy Service
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

When I started to read the title of this topic, I was alarmed to first see, "The Queen passes out..." I thought that HM had a fainting spell! Fortunately, I was wrong.

Tags
armagh, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, maundy, maundy service, northern ireland, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, royal traditions