General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to TRF, Elizabeth! I think a lot of us Americans right now echo your sentiments in seeing HM, The Queen as the epitome of what an iconic Head of State and world leader embodies. ?

Sad someone maybe has a meltdown because the Queen went somewhere without telling some nosy people, where she was going. She wore black, it may had something to do with her Cousins demise. She may be the Head of State, but she is not property of the State or people. There is such a thing as Private!.

Sad someone maybe has a meltdown because the Queen went somewhere without telling some nosy people, where she was going. She wore black, it may had something to do with her Cousins demise. She may be the Head of State, but she is not property of the State or people. There is such a thing as Private!.

Although the Queen did not participate this year, there was a Field of Remembrance Service today at Westminster Abbey. I would imagine that would be a good reason for the Queen to be seen in black today. ?

I read that she'd made a visit to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the installation of the tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey, but now I can't find where I read it or any other source, so, pinch of salt.

It is in the Court Circular:

Windsor Castle
4th November, 2020
The Queen this morning commemorated the Centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey, London SW1, and was received at the Great West Door by the Dean of Westminster (the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/register/court-circular-tw8dx0lf5

Last edited:
I read that she'd made a visit to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the installation of the tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey, but now I can't find where I read it or any other source, so, pinch of salt.

It's from Dickie Arbiter, who has posted a picture of the Court Circular with The Queen's commemoration of the burial of the Unknown Warrior

P.s. Thank you Iluvbertie for posting the Court Circular (words not picture) for 4th November. You are faster than me! ;)

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54856877

On Wednesday, the monarch, 94, made a private pilgrimage to the grave of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey to mark the centenary of his burial.

It comes ahead of Remembrance Day commemorations on Sunday. She requested the service after some events were scaled back due to the pandemic.

I am impressed with Queen Elizabeth, with trying times, she came out to pay homage to the Grave of the Unknown Soldier. How easily she could have said no. She has always taken her job very seriously. We all may not agree with what or how she does things, but maybe we should pay more attention to the Queen. The World may be a better place.

The Queen’s 70th anniversary as monarch will be celebrated with a “once-in-a-generation show” over a four-day Bank Holiday weekend, it has been announced.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee will be a truly historic moment - and one that deserves a celebration to remember. Further details on the programme of events in 2022 and how members of the public can get involved are expected to be released in the months ahead. https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-11/extra-bank-holiday-to-mark-queens-platinum-jubilee-in-2022

:previous:

Thank you Lady Daly!! :flowers:

I was planning to post about The Queen's Platinum Jubilee when I saw a tweet released by the Leader of the House of Commons office.

Leader of the House of Commons @CommonsLeader
Tomorrow @OliverDowden will make a statement to the @HouseofCommons on Her Majesty the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.
12:45 AM · Nov 12, 2020·Twitter Web App​

I'm going wait for Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport's oral statement in House of Commons (12th November). Perhaps there would be more details in the Parliament's discussion. I will try to be patient for the Hansard (transcript) to be released :lol:

Last edited:
Wow, that’s awesome ! At first I thought this was going to be actually held on February 6, so I got all fired up and, in fact, actually had posted a response, lol. Thank goodness I read the article again...

Looks like I’ll be getting up early again!

Last edited:
One thing I know is that the Queen would never want February 6th to be a day of celebrations. She always marks that day solemnly (usually at Sandringham) as it's the anniversary of her father's death. After all this time, she still feels the loss terribly.

One thing I know is that the Queen would never want February 6th to be a day of celebrations. She always marks that day solemnly (usually at Sandringham) as it's the anniversary of her father's death. After all this time, she still feels the loss terribly.

Indeed. Also, events of national celebration tend to be scheduled for the summer months, so that the public have a greater chance to enjoy them.

:previous: Thank you Muriel for opening a new thread now that the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, being planned for June 2022, has been announced. A very exciting and happy event to look forward to, and especially in the face of the current coronavirus doldrums. I look forward to following along as the happy event unfolds. ?

Thank you Betsypaige for the picture!!
What a delight to receive anniversary cards from their great-grandchildren. The Queen and Prince Philip look very happy. :flowers:

P.s. There are more cards on the table. I quite like the one with blue flowers. The large card that The Queen and Prince Philip are reading looks great too.

To be still together after 73 years of marriage is amazing. To stick with each other through ups and downs and ins and outs. The good times and the bad times and those "I love you but I really don't like you very much right now" times and to never give up on each other is a rarity in this day and age.

Perhaps their longevity is also strengthened by the fact that they've walked the years together. We should all be so lucky. ?

Thank you Betsypaige for the picture!!
What a delight to receive anniversary cards from their great-grandchildren. The Queen and Prince Philip look very happy. :flowers:

P.s. There are more cards on the table. I quite like the one with blue flowers. The large card that The Queen and Prince Philip are reading looks great too.

You’re welcome ! The card from the Cambridge kids is so beautifully colored - they clearly took a lot of time and care to create something for their great-grandparents who they must dearly miss.

The blue one seems lovely - I tried to figure out who sent it, lol.

Osipi:

To be still together after 73 years of marriage is amazing. To stick with each other through ups and downs and ins and outs. The good times and the bad times and those "I love you but I really don't like you very much right now" times and to never give up on each other is a rarity in this day and age.

Perhaps their longevity is also strengthened by the fact that they've walked the years together. We should all be so lucky.

So true. Rebecca English’s article mentions that most people would be surprised that they haven’t lived together for chunks of time; I’ll bet that has been one reason they’ve lasted this long. I’m not suggesting that we ordinary folk should do that, but HM and the Duke’s lives are so different from ours. Philip gets to have his own time, doing things he enjoys, in an environment he’s comfortable in. I’ll bet thar helps keep him young at heart.

The Queen ceding authority to Philip in their family is probably also a huge factor. She recognized how much he gave up to be with her, and so that was an enormous compromise. I’m sure they argued, of course, but overall they came up with an arrangement that works.

I’m so glad they’ve been able to spend so much time together lately, more than in years past

Nice picture. Not surprised they singled out the Cambridge kids. Brilliant PR right now.

73 years. Quite impressive. Next year will be a fun one with Philip turning 100.

Nice picture. Not surprised they singled out the Cambridge kids. Brilliant PR right now.

73 years. Quite impressive. Next year will be a fun one with Philip turning 100.

Wonderful photo of a magnificent couple who understood and withstood all the trials and tribulations of life.

One observation, I wonder if the Sussex will be offended because a gift from the Cambridge children is featured in this photograph? Sorry —. JMHO, but I have come to them incredibly petty.

They will always feature William's family over the others. That is just how it is with the royals. It is what it is. Still a very lovely image. No doubt other family members sent cards and were enjoyed all the same.

According to Victoria Arbiter, the photograph was taken in the Oak Room at Windsor Castle.
Victoria Arbiter @victoriaarbiter
Replying to @victoriaarbiter
Here they are in the Oak Room at Windsor Castle reading homemade cards from their great-grandchildren George, Charlotte and Louis.​

Love the cards the Cambridge children made, so cute that they did them themselves - an extra lovely touch considering the royals face the prospect of a smaller Christmas than usual this year.

I really don't get this idea that they singled out George, Charlotte and Louis for special treatment. Archie is far away and obviously can not create a card for himself, so the Cambridge trio are the youngest in the family, and their creating a card together is absolutely adorable. That's also very likely the brightest, most colorful card. As far as I'm concerned, that's it......

Suztav:

One observation, I wonder if the Sussex will be offended because a gift from the Cambridge children is featured in this photograph? Sorry —. JMHO, but I have come to them incredibly petty.

It wouldn't shock me, lol.

Last edited:
I really don't get this idea that they singled out George, Charlotte and Louis for special treatment. Archie is far away and obviously can not create a card for himself, so the Cambridge trio are the youngest in the family, and their creating a card together is absolutely adorable. That's also very likely the brightest, most colorful card. As far as I'm concerned, that's it......

Suztav:

It wouldn't shock me, lol.

I'm not seeing where the Cambridge children actually were credited with the card. Going back to the original Twitter posting by Chris Jackson, the photographer, his words only stated that the card was from their great grandchildren. Are we assuming it's from the Cambridge children or has there actually been credible information?

Last edited:
Suztav:

I'm not seeing where the Cambridge children actually were credited with the card. Going back to the original Twitter posting by Chris Jackson, the photographer, his words only stated that the card was from their great grandchildren. Are we assuming it's from the Cambridge children or has there actually been credible information?

It's in Rebecca English's article

And it's clear just what a home-made gift means to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

This beautiful image, shared by Buckingham Palace today to mark their 73rd wedding anniversary, shows the couple looking proudly at card made for them by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's three children.

Prince George, seven, Princess Charlotte, five, and even two-year-old Prince Louis spent hours creating the the colourful greeting, carefully colouring in a large number 73 on the front and decorating it with spots of red, blue, yellow, green and purple.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...rsary-card-great-grandchildren-new-photo.html

They will always feature William's family over the others. That is just how it is with the royals. It is what it is. Still a very lovely image. No doubt other family members sent cards and were enjoyed all the same.

Savannah Phillips, Isla Phillips, Mia Tindall, Lena Tindall [great-grandchildren] and Lady Louise Windsor & James, Viscount Severn [grandchildren] are not mentioned either. Archie is not the only one excluded. One can support the Sussexes without bashing or making cynical/snide comments on the Royal Family :whistling:

George, Charlotte and Louis are children of the future king, senior working royal members and are most likely to be expected to have more prominent public roles in the future. Savannah, Isla, Mia and Lena are not children of senior working royal nor expected to become working royals in future. Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn will most likely choose their career path and probably not use their HRH Prince/Princess titles when they both turn 18. Their parents (Peter Phillips, Autumn Phillips, Zara Tindall, Mike Tindall and Earl & Countess of Wessex) probably wants them to have little public roles possible, apart from major royal family appearances (Trooping of the Colour, Christmas in Sandringham, weddings , photos celebrating major milestone- Queen's 90th birthday etc.). Baby Brooksbank probably would raise in similar ways to the children of the Wessexes, Phillips and Tindalls rather than the Cambridges.

I'm sure The Queen and Prince Philip loves all her great-grandchildren dearly, regardless of external circumstances. Just look at Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie's relationship with The Queen and Prince Philip, despite tension between the princesses' parents and Prince Philip (mostly Sarah and Philip). Perhaps (in my opinion) The Queen agrees with wishes of the Phillips and Tindalls for not focusing on the cards send by Savannah, Isla, Mia and Lena, given that they are most likely to live private citizens and not wanting extra attention.

The Royal Family has released the picture on their twitter account. The post did mention Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh look at an anniversary card made by Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, alongside other cards and letters sent by well-wishers to celebrate their 73rd wedding anniversary tomorrow.
[Camera with flash] Chris Jackson/Getty images
9:02 AM · Nov 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Wonderful photo of a magnificent couple who understood and withstood all the trials and tribulations of life.

I agree with you suztav, some of the Sussex Squad members have been acting ridiculously, especially after the Queen's Christmas speech last year and the photo of the line of succession. Mind you, this isn't their worst behaviour :whistling:

Last edited:

I disagree that William's family with be featured over the other members of the family. We've been treated to photos over the past decades featuring HM and the DoE with their Phillips and Tindall great-grandchildren as well as their Wales, Phillips, York and Wessex grandchildren. Many of these photos can still be found on this site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom