The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

Roslyn, the point I was trying to make was that we see both scenarios quoted as validation for what the Queen/RF did or didn't do. On the one hand, the RF was grieving and therefore they were too upset to do this or that and, on the other, there was no reason for them to do this or that because she had no longer been a member of the family. It just seems to be an attempt to justify certain actions, or the lack thereof, from every angle.

Marg, you may not agree with what I've said or approve of the source, but people were quoted in the book and in all these years we have yet to hear a flat out denial. Surely someone would have gotten to the 'truth' by now if it were wholly inaccurate.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
Marg, you may not agree with what I've said or approve of the source, but people were quoted in the book and in all these years we have yet to hear a flat out denial.

Salon Media Circus | Diana: One year later, still dead

Quote:
Buckingham Palace has denounced the story as a "complete fantasy," along with everything else in Andersen's opus, adding that the royal family will be treating the book "with the contempt it deserves" as the anniversary of Diana's death approaches.
I've seen a lot of quotes, and a lot that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. David Icke says the Queen is a lizard. Lyndon LaRouche says she's a major international drug trafficker. I think they're both quacks, and as far as I know, the palace has never directly denied either of those allegations. That shouldn't be taken as an indication of truth.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they. I'd like to hear the nurse's account from her own lips. He/she does not have a PR agenda.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they.
So no denial is an indication of truth, and a denial is an indication of a cover-up? And if it's true (a big if, IMO), it's hardly an indication of coldness or an unfeeling monarchy. When people die, the possessions they have are usually collected somewhere. Inquiring about that stuff at some point is hardly amazing. When my uncle died, my father had to go to the police station to get the things he had on him when he crashed his car.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

If Diana and the RF had remained on good terms, no one would have questioned their staying in Balmoral.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, BP would have every reason to call it 'fantasy,' wouldn't they. I'd like to hear the nurse's account from her own lips. He/she does not have a PR agenda.
Don't you think it odd that the 'nurse' is not named?

Stranger still, why the 'nurse' was not asked to attend the inquest?

Even more strange that all this didn't come out with all the rest of the dirty linen at the Inquisition, sorry, Inquest?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Marg especially the part about the nurse not being asked to attend the inquest.
Unfortunately there are always deluded people who want to hang on to a fantasy at all costs.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
SNIPPED- As well as whatever sadness they felt about the fact of Diana's death, I'm sure that HM and the Duke and Charles felt intense anguish and pain seeing the boys suffer and, quite rightly IMNSHO, felt compelled to give priority to helping William and Harry cope with their pain and loss.
Well said Roslyn, their priorities were indeed the two boys, part of their family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
For all the truly awful things said about how the Queen behaved after the death of Diana, not one credible source is/has been given about any of her actions or conversations with any of the aforementioned "sources".
Absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
So no denial is an indication of truth, and a denial is an indication of a cover-up?
Why let the facts get in the way?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I agree Marg especially the part about the nurse not being asked to attend the inquest.

Unfortunately there are always deluded people who want to hang on to a fantasy at all costs.
Like the Anna Anderson subject. . . .????
Couldn't resist!
HM has always been about consistency and has always been solid. When there has been ANY crisis to the United Kingdom, she has always been there and always has been unshakable.
Even her address to her people after Diana's death is comforting and solid. Strong. I really think HM got a bad rap for being accused as being cold.
I apologize, this is the only one I could find:
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
HM has always been about consistency and has always been solid. When there has been ANY crisis to the United Kingdom, she has always been there and always has been unshakable.
Consistency? Over her life one of the few things she's been criticized for was her hands-off approach to motherhood. The queen always put duty before motherhood, or grandmother hood. Why change her consistent behavior when it is suitable all of a sudden. The public ain't as stupid as some like to think.

There could have been a brief statement made at Balmoral and then she could have stayed their indefinitely. The silence was not appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
................but I think Charles said something like we are dealing with the Diana that the public knew, not the Diana that we knew.
I think the Diana that Charles knew was not the real Diana. The Diana Charles knew was one that was reacting to his continuous provocation and infidelity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40
In his prewedding interview, Prince Edward made a comment on his reaction to the death of Princess Diana. My interpretation of his choice of words and his body language validated I was in disagreement with his perspective of Diana.
Prince Edward once said after Diana was killed was that he was surprised it took so long -- after she lost her HRH and thus royal protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile
It wasn't in her nature to become overly riddled with grief.
I guess she could still shed a tear for the death of many unknowns on 9/11.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
There could have been a brief statement made at Balmoral and then she could have stayed their indefinitely.
You mean, something about how they're deeply shocked and distressed at the terrible news?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

If a statement like that would have been made, people would have yelled "hypocrites" at the top of their lungs! I honestly don't think that the Queen could have done anything that week to make people happier. A young, popular woman died; and someone had to be blamed.

Quote:
You mean, something about how they're deeply shocked and distressed at the terrible news?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
If a statement like that would have been made, people would have yelled "hypocrites" at the top of their lungs!
It was made. Within hours of the announcement of Diana's death, IIRC.

CNN - World reacts in shock, grief to Diana's death - Aug. 31, 1997

Quote:
Britain's royal family and leaders from around the world reacted with shock and sadness Sunday as they learned of Princess Diana's pre-dawn death after a car crash in Paris. Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales said they were "deeply shocked and distressed by this terrible news."
Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I guess she could still shed a tear for the death of many unknowns on 9/11.
That's not my quote.

And to address your statement about the Queen putting duty above motherhood, very few people are, or have been, in the position that HM has been in in this world. I think it unfair to accuse her being a cold mother--even though I have read numerous bio.'s on the RF that "said" she was--because of her duty. She feels, she cares, she loves, just like everybody else. Her job, however, is to lead a nation. And I applaud her for that. She has made the best of her situation and she has been solid like a rock. Would you or I do half as well were we in that situation?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. She's a normal woman in an extraordinary job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Would you or I do half as well were we in that situation?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the reference, wbenson. I probably heard about this at the time but had forgotten about it.

Quote:
It was made. Within hours of the announcement of Diana's death, IIRC.

CNN - World reacts in shock, grief to Diana's death - Aug. 31, 1997
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think the Diana that Charles knew was not the real Diana...... SNIPPED... after she lost her HRH and thus royal protection.
Charles and his family were more likely to know the real Diana, than those who have only read about her or seen her for a few minutes in the street or on the TV!

Diana, against advice refused Royal Protection when the boys were not with her, her decision!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not a very intelligent decision either as it turned out. What a strange thing to say Zhontella. Charles didn´t know the real Diana? Who did then?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Not a very intelligent decision either as it turned out. What a strange thing to say Zhontella. Charles didn´t know the real Diana? Who did then?
Did Diana know who Diana was??
She seemed to be searching an awful lot at the end there. . . .
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, dispensing with her protection officers was her decision. Spending vacation time with the Fayeds was her decision as well. The tragedy on that Paris night due to her decision and her decision alone. She wasn't kidnapped and forced into that car. There was a lot of misplaced anger during the week after the crash IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Diana, against advice refused Royal Protection when the boys were not with her, her decision!

Tags
balmoral, buckingham palace, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii, tabloid press, tony blair