Sarah, Duchess of York: Ferguson Family and Old Pictures Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In comparing the picture of Sarah in Canada with Prince Andrew to how she looks now, I'm wondering why she's chosen her current hair color (which looks like self-administered bottle of red - maybe that's why). But her hair, back then, was more of a strawberry blonde, and she looked wonderful. In the Canada photo, she's also wearing a brown fur headband, which really helps her look as well. When she gets her foundation right, the current hair is okay - but the hair color she had 25 years ago (with a bit of gray showing through) is what she should aim for - it won't take a good colorist that much time to accomplish.

I think she will need to start toning it down and let some of the grey come through. As you get older you need to change your colour and style especially if you have long hair. In some photos Sarah looks bad for her age you can tell when there has been a lot of airbrushing. Her hair colour isn't helping.

I like her as more of a red but it's all depending on the shade of red.

MM

Sarah is a beautiful woman. I really wish she would start making better decisions for her sake.

I think she will need to start toning it down and let some of the grey come through. As you get older you need to change your colour and style especially if you have long hair. In some photos Sarah looks bad for her age you can tell when there has been a lot of airbrushing. Her hair colour isn't helping.

Please can one of our American forum members help me with this question - I thought that in one of her most recent interviews that Sarah had been claiming that she has never had so much as one grey [gray] hair

Some interesting photos and thank you for posting; I don't think the final photo 'Stunnng in Ascot' is correctly captioned though. Royal Ascot is very formal and there is a strict dress code which means that those in the Royal Enclosure MUST wear hats. I would think from the loose-flowing hair and the other faces in the crowd [apparently in tiered seating] that the 'Ascot' photo is in fact a picture of Susan Barrantes at a Polo match.

Just trying to help

Alex

PS- there is some background information that I want to give about the Fergusons and Sarah. I don't want a Right Royal Rebuke from the moderators and so I think I will start some sort of background thread in due course. Thanks, Alex.

Please can one of our American forum members help me with this question - I thought that in one of her most recent interviews that Sarah had been claiming that she has never had so much as one grey [gray] hair

No grey hairs might be true, but red hair is the first to grey. I come from a long line of ginger-haired women whose hair greyed beautifully (bright like HM's) before they were 55.

Sarah could be the exception, though.

Thanks KittyAtlanta, very useful information. It sounds like you are graying very beautifully.

Can anyone else help me on the apparent recent assertion by Sarah that she has not yet found a gray hair?

Thanks

Alex

I'm not a redhead but I'm mousy brown in real life. I have my hair streaked regularly. My hairdresser has never found a grey hair.

Thanks KittyAtlanta, very useful information. It sounds like you are graying very beautifully.

Can anyone else help me on the apparent recent assertion by Sarah that she has not yet found a gray hair?

Thanks

Alex

I found this article through a search. Some of it is misspelled and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it says that red hair doesn't turn grey - it turns a sandy colour and then turns white. The article also says that redheads go grey later in life.

Red Hair Facts

I can say that I have never noticed any "grey hairs" on Sarah, now or in the past. I have seen her hair look more sandy in photographs, and more vivid red in other photographs. So she may colour it, but I actually don't think she is going grey. I've never seen grey roots in Sarah's hair, either.

P.S. - For some reason I can't edit my post to add this, but I have a great-uncle who is in his early 90s and used to be a redhead. His hair is white now, but when I was younger (maybe 15 - 20 years ago) I remember his hair being more of a sandy/washed-out blond colour, but not grey. So maybe the article is true!

Thanks

Alex
Because she uses L'Oreal and she's (IHO) *worth* it. (*hair toss*)

(Or she does like Russo and plucks them. . . .:whistling:)

That's my experience, that people with red hair go a blondish colour.

I remember his hair being more of a sandy/washed-out blond colour, but not grey. So maybe the article is true!

To add to the red head conversation, Mr. Remote here is 64 and was a life long carrot top. Although his hair color has kind of turned to a burnt auburn now, there's not ONE hint of a grey hair on his head. His beard is another matter. Its predominately grey but only at the chin area.

Because she uses L'Oreal and she's (IHO) *worth* it. (*hair toss*)

(Or she does like Russo and plucks them. . . .:whistling:)

Oh Russo, Russo you may just have stumbled across something great.
Sarah still has the long mane for a *worth it* advert. Coming from a country of redheads I think it would be fab. I do hope someone from L'Oreal is reading this.

In Russo we trust ....;) Amen.

Hi! - Does anybody can give me the companies names where Sarah Ferguson worked before her marriage with Prince Andrew in the 80s? Thanks!!

Thanks

Alex

Thx, Alex, you are tooo kind.

I don't know about Sarah, but my maternal great-grandmother was a carrot-top. She never did sprout grey hair, just one day she had fabulous silvery white (curly) hair. As an aside, she lived until 106 years and wore the same hairstyle all her life...in a loose frantic bun-type arrangement near the crown of her head. I miss her.

In my Post #40, I said "greyed" but I meant fade first.

I come from a family of redheads, my mother, her brother and his daughter and granddaughter. I think it's pretty much true about redheads not actually going grey. Sarah may very well not have any grey hairs.

Last edited:
Sarah is on the front cover of Hello mag 24 mar 2014
looking very glam and very mellow....
lots more pics inside too.

If I ever get the energy to scan them in, Ill try to remem to post them here !

Sarah is on the front cover of Hello mag 24 mar 2014
looking very glam and very mellow....
lots more pics inside too.

If I ever get the energy to scan them in, Ill try to remem to post them here !

Just be sure to read TRF's rules about posting photographs. I think scanning Hello and posting those pictures here would be an infringement of Hello's copyright on their photos. Always best to check and make sure.

What usually works easier though is just posting a link to photos that are published elsewhere and does save a whole lot of trouble scanning, posting etc.

Are nt you being a bit precious ? there are pictures from
thousands of magazines posted on milllions of forums
all across the internet !

Are nt you being a bit precious ? there are pictures from
thousands of magazines posted on milllions of forums
all across the internet !

TRF has rules about what photos can or cannot be posted. Under the Member FAQs, this is the explanation.

What do I need to do so that I can post copyrighted photos and articles?

"In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner. We will not be policing the site to ensure that members have permission to post their photos; however, if a copyright owner (a photo agency, photographer, publisher, etc) demands to see proof of the written permission, the poster will be expected to produce it. Failure to do so may result in legal action against the poster by the copyright owner and will result in deletion of the material and suspension or banning of the poster from this forum. The above applies to all copyrighted material including (but not limited to) photos and other artwork, videos, movies, screencaps, magazine and newspaper articles (both print and online), reviews, blog entries, e-mails, and posts at other forums. Press releases are generally exempt."

I believe that scanning Hello magazine would fit under this description. Hello owns the copyright to the photos and articles that it publishes.

I come from a family of redheads, my mother, her brother and his daughter and granddaughter. I think it's pretty much true about redheads not actually going grey. Sarah may very well not have any grey hairs.

I think Sarah does dye her hair now. I've seen some photos where it looks more vibrant and seems to be a different shade.

I wonder if going grey has anything to do with hair colour at all, though, or if it's just genetic? Redheads might be a special case. But my mom had the same hair colour as me when she was young...she showed me a clip of her hair once, and it was just the same light brown colour as mine. She's always told me that she started going grey in her twenties, and dying her hair in her late twenties! (and told me that it would probably happen to me). But now I'm in my late twenties and haven't seen any gray hairs (yet...)

You often hear of people being bullied about having red or ginger
hair ... but could the bullying be about jealousy ?

Check out the Victorian Pre Raphaelite paintings.... so many of the
beatiful Ladies on canvas are redheads

Back
Top Bottom