Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...h-Princess-Catharina-Amalia-16-plus-size.html
https://caras.perfil.com/noticias/t...anda-luce-con-orgullo-su-look-plus-size.phtml
https://caras.perfil.com/noticias/a...-de-amalia-la-hija-de-maxima-de-holanda.phtml

The first article from CARAS MAgAZINE talks about Amalia being a real woman and the helps she gets because of the bulling she is regarding her body. Apparently in the Netherlands she is call the princess plus size. And she can be an inspiration for other girls like her .
the second article is the director of the magazine apologizing .

It is a very touchy topic, She still under 18 and she should be protected by the media laws but in the other hand she is in fact not a skinny type and I believe she can be inspiration for other girls too that go though the same situation. I appreciate that media shows her with the body she has and they do not enhance with photoshop . She is a public figure and might not be the best for her to listen in the media about her weight issues but at the same time she can help other girls and use her platform to a more positive aproach

I don't know where the 'princess plus size' is coming from: but I have NEVER read it in the Dutch media. So, while some obscure source might have used that term, it is not common at all. It's probably more a projection of the Spanish media than anything else.

No one, especially the press, should ever comment on a person's weight. It is particularly dangerous to comment about young women, as that is one route to an eating disorder.

I don't know where the 'princess plus size' is coming from: but I have NEVER read it in the Dutch media. So, while some obscure source might have used that term, it is not common at all. It's probably more a projection of the Spanish media than anything else.

Agree, i would even say the dutch media meticulously avoids referring in any way to the appearance of the princesses (occassionally folks who comment on articles do, but even then rarely the term "plus size" is used).

This time the term originated from an argentinian magazine and the dutch media (and most of the comments) were unanimously of the opinion that in this day and age, you shouldn't comment on the appearance of a teenager.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...h-Princess-Catharina-Amalia-16-plus-size.html
https://caras.perfil.com/noticias/t...anda-luce-con-orgullo-su-look-plus-size.phtml
https://caras.perfil.com/noticias/a...-de-amalia-la-hija-de-maxima-de-holanda.phtml

The first article from CARAS MAgAZINE talks about Amalia being a real woman and the helps she gets because of the bulling she is regarding her body. Apparently in the Netherlands she is call the princess plus size. And she can be an inspiration for other girls like her .
the second article is the director of the magazine apologizing .

It is a very touchy topic, She still under 18 and she should be protected by the media laws but in the other hand she is in fact not a skinny type and I believe she can be inspiration for other girls too that go though the same situation. I appreciate that media shows her with the body she has and they do not enhance with photoshop . She is a public figure and might not be the best for her to listen in the media about her weight issues but at the same time she can help other girls and use her platform to a more positive aproach

Everyone knows Princess Amalia is firm, is -at 16- towering over her mother. But I seldom or never have read or heard anyone in media about it. Already from the very first pictures as baby, the future Queen has been a firm person in appearance and it remained that way. She is echoing Beatrix and Juliana whom never were with fashionable sizes either.

It just goes to show that royals aren't exempt from cruel bullying and comments about their appearances as their non-royal counterparts. The fact that this bullying is also coming from the media is despicable. Grown adults who supposedly have a good enough of an education to write and publish articles for a newspaper should know better.

It just goes to show that royals aren't exempt from cruel bullying and comments about their appearances as their non-royal counterparts. The fact that this bullying is also coming from the media is despicable. Grown adults who supposedly have a good enough of an education to write and publish articles for a newspaper should know better.

I certainly agree with you. Bullying is a beastly mutation. I always thought the same when people made pathetic malicious remarks about how thin Letizia or Catherine were behind the safety of fake names. True Bullying. Shameful. It has always struck me that the bully's parents must have done a lousy job and should be ashamed if the bully is young, but if the bully is an adult there is definitely a mental problem that tries to act superior. Pitiful. JMO

Considering the struggle Victoria went through with her eating disorder, yes there is a serious concern with any press talking about body shape of royals. Especially the young impressionable royals who may not be able to handle the stress and may turn to eating disorders.

The photos that the Spanish magazine used were chosen for a purpose. The angle of the photo with her mother, and the clothing she wore were chosen to serve a specific purpose. She has always been a 'sturdy' person but certain angles and clothes make it look more.

Amalia has enough pressure as the future queen without the added stress about worrying about press or readers putting pressure on her to be super thin. That goes for all the young heiresses, as the thin ones will come under the questions of if they are 'too thin'. Especially someone like Leonor because her mother has been criticized her how thin she is (I could see leading to some cruel people wondering if Letizia pressures her daughter to be unhealthy thin).

Considering the struggle Victoria went through with her eating disorder, yes there is a serious concern with any press talking about body shape of royals. Especially the young impressionable royals who may not be able to handle the stress and may turn to eating disorders.

The photos that the Spanish magazine used were chosen for a purpose. The angle of the photo with her mother, and the clothing she wore were chosen to serve a specific purpose. She has always been a 'sturdy' person but certain angles and clothes make it look more.

Amalia has enough pressure as the future queen without the added stress about worrying about press or readers putting pressure on her to be super thin. That goes for all the young heiresses, as the thin ones will come under the questions of if they are 'too thin'. Especially someone like Leonor because her mother has been criticized her how thin she is (I could see leading to some cruel people wondering if Letizia pressures her daughter to be unhealthy thin).

I agree with your post but my impression is that Princess Amalia is a strong 'beatrixian' type of person with the same imperturbablility as her named grandmother.

I think this is the fate of any woman in the public eye who is not QEII or Angela Merkel, looking the same or wearing the same stuff for decades. I do not envy any woman who has to deal with this kind of crap on a daily basis. It can make or break a person, but it will not go away. Many have a choice but royal women are not among them, therefore it will be a difficult way for the likes of Amalia who have to deal with their 'imperfections' compared to the generic looking superwoman we see advertised every day. No wonder that the pressure is high to make some changes and go down the artificial route.

I think this is the fate of any woman in the public eye who is not QEII or Angela Merkel, looking the same or wearing the same stuff for decades.
Even Angela Merkel has gotten a lot of ridicule for her hair and for her pantsuits. The ridicule is a thinly veiled mocking of her not being traditionally feminine and the epithets iron lady, strong willed, imposing are other examples of that. I'd like to add Amalia's grandmother Princess Beatrice to Queen Elizabeth as one of a few women in the public eye who are not subject to the sexist crap the media and it's readers (that is us the public) throw at women. The reason for this is, at least in my opinion, both age and that they both have consciously made themselves into almost fictional characters with unmovable big hair, big hats, clothes that doesn't accentuate their figures etc... By now they are more subjects than objects (I don't really know if that last sentence is the correct translation of what I'm trying to say)

Last edited:
Even Angela Merkel has gotten a lot of ridicule for her hair and for her pantsuits. The ridicule is a thinly veiled mocking of her not being traditionally feminine and the epithets iron lady, strong willed, imposing are other examples of that. I'd like to add Amalia's grandmother Princess Beatrice to Queen Elizabeth as one of a few women in the public eye who are not subject to the sexist crap the media and it's readers (that is us the public) throw at women. The reason for this is, at least in my opinion, both age and that they both have consciously made themselves into almost fictional characters with unmovable big hair, big hats, clothes that doesn't accentuate their figures etc... By now they are more subjects than objects (I don't really know if that last sentence is the correct translation of what I'm trying to say)

Yes, you have to become kind of abstract. Angela Merkel had criticism in her earlier days but hardly anything today, since she wears the same type of stuff every day including hairdo and necklace. Of course age helps and also position, QEII is a monarch and Angela Merkel the chancellor, 2 women with power, Amalia will be a monarch as well, a position that is taken more seriously than eg a consort or wife of, women who don't really have a position but are only judged by what they wear or how they look (Letizia of Spain being a good example, in her formative years when she went everywhere as Felipe's arm candy without her own agenda).

Which newspapers are you referring to? If I am understanding correctly, the accusation that Dutch media are bullying the crown princess about her appearance is derived from one article in a foreign magazine which has now apologized for that article, so I would not presume that the accusation is valid. The Dutch posters in the thread apparently do not feel that it is.

Last edited:
Which newspapers are you referring to? If I am understanding correctly, the accusation that Dutch media are bullying the crown princess about her appearance is derived from one article in a foreign magazine which has now apologized for that article, so I would not presume that the accusation is valid. The Dutch posters in the thread apparently do not feel that it is.

Dutch media outlets would immediately feel the wrath of the public. If not out of solidarity with Princess Amalia, then it is about sexism and bullying of women.

I believe some people on Dutch twitter made / make some remarks about Pss Amalia's weight pretty shortly after she started attending the King's Day celebrations. This usually is followed by people and newspapers tumbling over each other to voice their disapproval of such comments. Although it is sympathetic perhaps it has the opposite effect: it amplifies the original message, which would not have been read by many if the newspapers were not so eager to write their furious disapproval.

IIRC the Queen stated in July 2019 -when asked what she admired most in her daughter- that Amalia is a very sensitive girl with a lot of attention for others and a high empathic ability. This was confirmed by the King.

Any child that age is bound to get damaged by being in the spotlight and criticized about her/his appearance. Don't forget that her school colleagues can also read the newspapers ánd twitter. Let's hope that the Princess has developed a strong resistance mechanism to deal with these kind of comments.

The Spanish one others are talking about - I didn't mention Dutch newspapers specifically in my original post.

The Spanish one others are talking about - I didn't mention Dutch newspapers specifically in my original post.

I understand you didn't mention Dutch newspapers specifically, but your original post stated that "royals aren't exempt from cruel bullying [...] this bullying is also coming from the media", whereas the Spanish-language article being talked about was, if I understand the summaries correctly, "bullying" the Dutch media (i.e., accusing them of bullying) and not the princess.

I understand you didn't mention Dutch newspapers specifically, but your original post stated that "royals aren't exempt from cruel bullying [...] this bullying is also coming from the media", whereas the Spanish-language article being talked about was, if I understand the summaries correctly, "bullying" the Dutch media (i.e., accusing them of bullying) and not the princess.

I meant the original Spanish article that called Amalia "princess plus size" in the first place.

I meant the original Spanish article that called Amalia "princess plus size" in the first place.

I think I can understand your perspective: The original Argentinean magazine article accused the Dutch people of calling the princess by that term, but as its accusation was apparently incorrect, it was in fact the Argentinean magazine which created it.

Oh wow I didn't realise the RF had still been able to travel to their Greek holiday home as usual. Lucky them!
Me too. I thought Greece imposed some restrictions on travel. I guess the Netherlands isn't in the black list (they imposed restrictions to Portugal and I am glad that I went to Greece last year)..
I wonder if they had a lovely summer, Greece is a very beautiful country:flowers:

Me too. I thought Greece imposed some restrictions on travel. I guess the Netherlands isn't in the black list (they imposed restrictions to Portugal and I am glad that I went to Greece last year)..
I wonder if they had a lovely summer, Greece is a very beautiful country:flowers:

The difference of course is that they fly in a special jet, only accessible for a limited number of persons, with the royal couple in their own "suite" including bedroom and douche. No queuing at the check in, at the gate, during the boarding and inside the plane.

The King's compartiment:
https://fokkertechniek.com/vip/wp-content/uploads/ph-gov-header.jpg

Quite a difference with the Ryanair or Easyjet type of holidaymakers.

I'm surprised the Dutch government doesn't also have a smaller jet for the King to use, isn't this rather large for the King and his immediate family to go on holiday using? Heck this is the same size jet that takes 100 odd tourists on holiday usually. I don't have an issue at all with them using a jet for security and even privacy reasons but wonder if investing in a smaller one when a jet this size isn't needed wouldn't also be good? Or maybe they do in which case forget I said anything lol.

I'm surprised the Dutch government doesn't also have a smaller jet for the King to use, isn't this rather large for the King and his immediate family to go on holiday using? Heck this is the same size jet that takes 100 odd tourists on holiday usually. I don't have an issue at all with them using a jet for security and even privacy reasons but wonder if investing in a smaller one when a jet this size isn't needed wouldn't also be good? Or maybe they do in which case forget I said anything lol.

There are two Gulfstreams as well: a new Gulfstream 650 and an older Gulfstream IV. But I think these are too small for a family of five, seeing the spacious interior lay-out, with all the luggage and the necessary staff and security aboard.

The Boeing 737, usually a plane crammed with holidaygoers, only seats 26 (!) passengers due to the lay out with big seats, bedroom, douche, boardroom, etc.

Boeing 737 with "uneconomical" spacing (this is the compartiment for the lesser gods)
https://images.cdn.nouveau.nl/tMjCm...ringsvliegtuig-phgov-anp-02.jpg?itok=e_v_v0dt

Gulfstream IV
https://www.defensie.nl/binaries/la...eam-iv/gulfstream-in-de-lucht-boven-water.jpg

Gulfstream 650
https://www.gulfstream.com/assets/images/aircraft/g650er/d_g650_g650ER_i_mkt_0134_v02r01_web.jpg

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander with Queen Maxima visited the island of Milos

They took walks in the Kleftiko area on a speedboat driven by King Willem-Alexander himself, and then toured the alleys of the island. Although their presence was very discreet, some locals recognized the royal couple and asked to be photographed with them, receiving a positive response.

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/ar...s-ollandias-odigouse-o-idios-to-tahuploo-tou/

Last edited:
Based on the accounts it seems the girls are not with their parents...wonder where they're holiday at?

Probably they stayed back at the house? They are old enough not to need to join their parents when they decide to do a boat trip for the day.

Last edited:
Indeed, I would expect that too.

Did the maternal grandmother return to Argentina? Because otherwise she may be in Greece too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom