Videos of The Imperial Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tea party for the Sochi Winter Olympic Games athletes in July 2014. Apparently Princess Aiko is a fan of figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu and likes his axel jump. [...]

And, when Aiko was younger, her father spoke about her love of sumo, so she might like to provide her patronage to sporting organizations when she is of age. Although given all the scandals, would sumo be too contentious these days?

Yea.. sumo is unlikely. Tradition also forbids women from entering the sumo ring so I can't see a female patron. A few weeks ago, a referee tried to kick out women medics who entered the ring when a local mayor suddenly collapsed. The sumo chairman apologized later but still... hindering medical assistance?! O__o

ETA: more gender issues...
Although rare, female sumo wrestling does occur all over Japan at an amateur level. However, the JSA does not allow women to compete professionally, like their male counterparts.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-to-scandal-hit-sumo-wrestling-idUSKBN1HN182

Last edited:
AP Archive. Mostly low/no sound.

Prince Yoshi's engagement to Hanako Tsugaru on February 28, 1964
State banquet for King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium in 1964
Princes Akiko in Argentina in 2013 for Japan's bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics
Princess Akiko in Chile in 2013.
Then-Princess Margrethe of Denmark visits Japan in 1963. CP Akihito and CP Michiko greet her upon arrival.
Nelson Mandela on state visit to Japan in 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbDzqE_BLWM
Prince and Princess Takamado visit South Korea in 2002.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbxIX1pGbS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1klHG-p3QE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1it4872Pc

Last edited:
Prime Minister Indira Gandhi meets Emperor Hirohito and Empress Nagako on June 25, 1969
Prince Charles visits in April 1970
March 1972 state banquet for Mexican President Luis Echeverria
November 1974 state banquet for US President Gerald Ford
Princess Sayako engagement press conference on December 30, 2004
Yoshiki Kuroda, Sayako's husband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW2mrET0wHM

Princess Hisako attended the opening of her bird photography exhibition in Osaka on July 9, 2014:
Princess Hisako attended the 100th anniversary of AFS and 60th anniversary of AFS Japan at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo on November 22, 2014:
Princess Hisako in Morioka, Iwate for the 71st National Sports Festival on October 7, 2016:

47th Florence Nightingale Medal ceremony on August 7, 2019

Prince Mikasa ice dancing at Shinagawa Prince Hotel in 1985
Princess Hisako departs for Argentina on September 3, 2013 to attend the IOC general assembly
Princess Hisako returning from Argentina on September 9, 2013
Princess Hisako makes kimchi at a Japan-Korea event at the Korean Embassy on December 7, 2013
Princess Akiko planting rice in 2016

On June 22nd, the IHA announced it has produced a DVD of the Emperor and Empress' activities for last year, focusing on ceremonies related to enthronement. The 56 minute video also includes public affairs, international goodwill, and local visits. DVD costs 1700 yen including tax. It's also available for free on government Internet TV.

English version:
https://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/eng/prg/prg6807.html

I skimmed it. Mostly old footage repackaged into 56 minutes.

TBS/JNN Archives: Elementary school entrance ceremonies for Emperor Naruhito, Crown Prince Akishino, Princesses Mako, Kako, Aiko, and Prince Hisahito.

University entrance ceremonies/first day for Princesses Mako, Kako and Aiko

Mako: April 2, 2010 Enrolled in International Christian University

Kako: April 8, 2013 Enrolled in Gakushuin University

Kako: April 2, 2015 Enrolled in International Christian University

Aiko: October 24, 2020: First attendance at Gakushuin University

December 30, 2004: Princess Nori (Sayako) and Yoshiki Kuroda attend their engagement press conference at the Imperial Household Agency. The announcement was originally planned for December 18 and postponed following the death and funeral of Princess Takamatsu.

Prince Hiro (Emperor Naruhito), Princess Chichibu, Prince Takamatsu, Princess Mikasa and Princess Masako of Mikasa (Masako Sen) watched the British musical "Oliver" at the Imperial Theater on May 5, 1968 (Children's Day)
Princess Noriko of Takamado and Kunimaro Senge attend a press conference on May 27, 2014 after their engagement was announced.
Princess Kako at the 2nd National High School Sign Language Performance in September 2015 in Tottori Prefecture.

Imperial babies leaving the hospital: Emperor Naruhito, Prince Akishino, Princess Mako, Princess Kako, Princess Aiko, and Prince Hisahito

Emperor Naruhito, Crown Prince Akishino, and Princess Sayako visited Brazil for their 1st official overseas visit.

At 22 years old, Prince Hiro (now Emperor Naruhito) visited Brazil from October 3-18, 1982. He met President João Figueiredo and attended a welcome event at the House of Japanese Culture.
Also at 22 years old, Prince Aya (Fumihito, now Crown Prince Akishino) visited Brazil from June 14-27, 1988. On June 18th, he attended the 80th anniversary ceremony of Japanese immigration held at a soccer field in São Paulo. Prince Aya also visited Manaus in the Amazon rainforest, fished, and visited the Amazon Museum of Natural Sciences where he viewed a 2.3m, 150kg giant catfish a local Japanese fisherman caught.
At 26 years old, Princess Nori (now Sayako Kuroda) visited Brazil from November 7-21, 1995. After arrival on the 7th at São Paulo airport, Princess Sayako offered a wreath to the pioneer war dead in Ibirapuela Park and met President Fernando Henrique Cardoso.

On November 9th, she attended the Japan-Brazil official relations 100th anniversary ceremony in Brasilia and planted a commemorative tree. She met residents of a senior home in Liberdade, a Japanese district in São Paulo.

Last edited:
March 19, 1992: Princess Sayako attended a press conference before her graduation from the Department of Japanese Literature, Faculty of Letters, Gakushuin University. She graduated the next day.
December 19, 2001: Princess Akiko of Mikasa attends a press conference before her coming-of-age 20th birthday (December 20)

The video's description lists more questions than the Imperial Household Agency's contents
October 23, 2003: Princess Yoko of Mikasa attends a press conference before her coming-of-age 20th birthday (October 25)

Again, TBS video's description lists more questions than the Imperial Household Agency's contents

March 19, 1959: scoop on Princess Takako's engagement to Hisanaga Shimazu
March 10, 1960: wedding day

May 6, 1985: Crown Prince Akihito, Crown Princess Michiko and Princess Sayako took the subway to attend the 20th anniversary ceremony of "Kodomonokuni" (Children's Land) in Yokohama. It was Akihito's first time taking the subway in Japan.

The natural amusement park was founded to commemorate the couple's 1959 marriage and opened on Children's Day May 5, 1965. The 20th anniversary ceremony happened at the end of Golden Week holidays so it was decided to take the subway to avoid traffic jams.

Last edited:
Driving

0:00 Emperor Akihito and Prince Aya (now Crown Prince Akishino) driving a yellow Volkswagen Beetle at Nasu Imperial Villa in 1989. This was Prince Aya’s favorite car at the time.

0:58 Emperor Akihito driving a 20+ year old Honda Integra at the Imperial Palace East Gardens in September 2013. He got his license in 1954 and immediately bought a domestic car. He stopped driving after turning 85 in 2018.

1:11 Princess Sayako went to driving school and got her license before getting married in November 2005. She's seen driving into the Imperial Palace for the family year-end lunch on December 27, 2006.

Wedding of Prince Hitachi and Hanako Tsugaru on September 30, 1964

November 12, 2005: Princess Sayako attended Kashikodokoro-Koreiden-Shinden-ni-Essuru-no-Gi (Ceremony of Worshiping at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace) and the Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience) ahead of her marriage in 3 days.

August 2002: Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, Crown Prince family, and Akishino family at Suzaki Imperial Villa in Shimoda City, Shizuoka Prefecture.

Clips of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa and Nobuko Aso

April 18, 1980: engagement announcement press conference
November 7, 1980: wedding and audience ceremonies

Some Q&A at the press conference.

Prince Tomohito (34 at the time): Personally, I already applied for marriage 7 years ago but there was opposition because [she] was too young. I am very happy it has finally come true after 7 years.

Reporter: Aso Nobuko-san, how are you feeling now?

Nobuko (25 at the time): I can't express it in words. He is a very warm person, and I think he is a very good person because of his leadership.

Reporter: Who made the proposal?

Prince Tomohito: Of course I told her that this is our country and should be done by a man, and then I met her parents and talked to her.

Reporter (Question to Nobuko): What do you call His Highness after you enter the family?

Prince Tomohito (To Nobuko): As I said yesterday.

(Venue: laughter)

Prince Tomohito: My mother calls my father "Miya-sama," so I think that's the case.

Exchanges at the Choken-no-Gi (audience) ceremony after the wedding on November 7, 1980

Prince Tomohito: I was able to finish the wedding ceremony without delay today. In the future, we will work together to fulfill our responsibilities [in the] Imperial family. We would like to express our sincere gratitude for today.

Emperor Showa: I'm happy to conclude the wedding ceremony today and I can't stand Keiga (???). In the future, I hope that [you] will be enthusiastic about each other, run a family together, and contribute to the nation and society.

Empress Kojun: Congratulations on [today]. I pray that you will live in good health and prosper for a long time.

Last edited:
Prince Tomohito (34 at the time): Personally, I already applied for marriage 7 years ago but there was opposition because [she] was too young. I am very happy it has finally come true after 7 years.

Wouldn't he have needed legal permission from her parents for her to marry while a minor?

Reporter: Aso Nobuko-san, how are you feeling now?

Nobuko (25 at the time): I can't express it in words. He is a very warm person, and I think he is a very good person because of his leadership.

Reporter: Who made the proposal?

Prince Tomohito: Of course I told her that this is our country and should be done by a man, and then I met her parents and talked to her.

It seems they were of the same mind that he would take the lead in the marriage...

Reporter (Question to Nobuko): What do you call His Highness after you enter the family?

Prince Tomohito (To Nobuko): As I said yesterday.

(Venue: laughter)

Prince Tomohito: My mother calls my father "Miya-sama," so I think that's the case.

I think the joke/humor has escaped me. Could anyone clarify?

ETA: Did Prince Tomohito mention the possibility of leaving the imperial family, as he later requested?

Last edited:
Wouldn't he have needed legal permission from her parents for her to marry while a minor?

No. Despite the age of majority being 20 the age of marriage has always been under that. I believe it was 16 for women, if not still.
I think the joke/humor has escaped me. Could anyone clarify?

The question was directed to Miss Aso but she looks over and the prince immediately directs her, which contradicts the question's purpose (something she supposedly says). It's funny, if one doesn't dwell on the chauvinistic parts.

Incidentally, "Miya-sama" basically means "Your Imperial Highness", so it's not the most intimate term — and implies a great social and power differential from the speaker. But this is Japan, so not unusual. It's sort of the IJF version of the normal term "Anata", which is just "you".

Last edited:
No. Despite the age of majority being 20 the age of marriage has always been under that. I believe it was 16 for women, if not still.

Minors currently do require parental consent to marry according to Article 737 of the Civil Code, though I don't know if that was already the case in 1973.

https://jp.usembassy.gov/services/marriage/marriage-in-japan/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_law_in_Japan#Marriage

The question was directed to Miss Aso but the prince immediately directs her, which contradicts the question's purpose (something she supposedly says). It's funny, if one doesn't dwell on the chauvinistic parts.

Incidentally, "Miya-sama" basically means "Your Imperial Highness", so it's not the most intimate term — and implies a great social and power differential from the speaker. But this is Japan, so not unusual. It's sort of the IJF version of the normal term "Anata", which is just "you".

Thanks!

Chakko-no-gi (Hakama ceremony)

0:00 Prince Hiro (Emperor Naruhito) November 1, 1964
0:47 Prince Aya (Crown Prince Akishino) October 18, 1970
1:27 Princess Nori (Sayako Kuroda) December 17, 1973
2:07 Princess Toshi (Princess Aiko) November 11, 2006
2:47 Prince Hisahito November 3, 2011

October 22, 1941: Marriage of Prince Mikasa (Takahito) and Yuriko Takagi (poster made the video age-restricted... content's safe though)
December 1967: Princess Yuriko visits Aichi Prefecture
May 27, 2014: news of Princess Noriko's marriage. Noriko and her mother Princess Hisako leave Akasaka Estate and the IHA announcement.
October 8, 2014: Guests arriving for Noriko Senge's wedding reception in Tokyo, including Princess Akiko, Princess Yohko, Prince Mikasa, Princess Yuriko, and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Last edited:
New Year 2000-2009 videos
Engagement and marriage of Princess Suga (Takako) and Hisanaga Shimazu

- She practiced domestic activities such as cooking, flower arranging, dress making, etc. for a year. The IHA had been selecting potential marriage partners for 2 years and Takako eventually agreed to marry Shimazu. (I remember a NY times article reported she asked to date him first whereas her sisters didn't get that opportunity.)
- IHA announced the informal engagement on March 11, 1959.
- Formal betrothal ceremony at the Shimazu residence? (that's new to me, maybe it's the gifts leaving the groom's home...)
- couple on a date on February 14, 1960 at Hayama Villa
- Takako visited her new home 5 days before the March 10 wedding. Her belongings were already being moved.
- March 10 wedding and press conference. IHA staff register the marriage.
- Press asks how they address each other and which lady is in charge.... is mother or wife? Takako would like to as her mother-in-law at first. Shimazu says he's a gradualist and needs to adjust to the change.
- Shimazu family host a reception at 3:30pm for some 130 guests with the director of Gakushuin giving a toast.
- Newlyweds arrive at their new home in Setagaya Ward around 6pm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom