Victoria as a Godmother/Sponsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think she has any more royal godchildren than the ones already mentioned. But she does have a few more, non-royal, godchildren, among them her cousin Patriks son Leopold

No, Elisabeth's godmother is countess Helene d'Udekem d'Acoz.

She is godmother of royal children:
HRH Prince Constantine Alexios of Greece *1998
HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands *2003
HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway *2004
HRH Prince Christian of Denmark *2005

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. Well, Victoria is godmother to three heirs of heirs of Europe so she should be very proud.

Wonder if shell be Godmother to any of William or Harrys Children ?

I would think not. She doesn't seem to have any type of relationship with them. She has a relationship with Haakon, Frederick, and Alexander. They grew up together (and I use the term loosely). Their parents are friends, and they have gone to enough engagements together. The Pavlos thing is kind of weird...but I think that was PR move more than anything. Not that she doesn't have a relationship with Pavlos but their son has a lot of future kings/queen as godparents.

Zonk1189 said:
I would think not. She doesn't seem to have any type of relationship with them. She has a relationship with Haakon, Frederick, and Alexander. They grew up together (and I use the term loosely). Their parents are friends, and they have gone to enough engagements together. The Pavlos thing is kind of weird...but I think that was PR move more than anything. Not that she doesn't have a relationship with Pavlos but their son has a lot of future kings/queen as godparents.

What is the Pavlos thing? I'm guessing Victoria is godmother to one of his children. She is second cousins with Pavlos since her father is first cousins with Queen Anne Marie, the same blood relations she has with Frederik. Victoria is definitely closer to Frederik since they are relatively close geographically and share the same kinds of responsibilities of being heir-apparents to the throne.

Hello! :) Can someone post pics from these christenings, please? :)

Zonk1189 said:
As SoCal girl said, they are related. And I think Victoria met Pavlos and Marie Chantal sometimes when she lived in New York (which were around the same time she was chosen to be godmother) so they do know eachother.

In regards to Victoria being the godmother to Pavlos 2nd child (1st son), I never said that Victoria and Pavlos never knew each other. Yes, they are related but IMO it is a somewhat of a PR or power play. Like Christian and Ingrid Alexandria, Constaine has godparents who will one day be Kings and Queen (in Victoria's case) of European countries including Prince William of Great Britain. Which somehow rings false with me. Yes, I shouldn't compare the two relationships(William/Pavlos and Victoria/Pavlos) but I do. Now if Victoria was the godmother to Nikolas of Greece's future children..that would make sense.

Well, Pavlos and Marie Chantal has soon exhausted the intired Gotha as godparents for their children, and they started picking at the top shelf, among the heirs, and there was Victoria:angel: The godparents of Pavlos first son seemed (to me) a little like what looks good on paper, and even overcompensating for the fact that his son will not be King, so better pile up with the future Kings and Queens and goparents

a picture of her with her 4 royal godchildren from Kongehuset and REX

Victoria is god mother to most future heard of royal homes as she is actually the next future queen of sweden

True and again with the other three royal children I definitely see a relationship with the parents. And in Ingrid's case it definitely makes sense as Victoria can serve as a mentor (due to her position) the same way that Beatrix (who I believe is her godmother) helps her.

Again, I don't know the type of relationship that Victoria actually has with Marie Chantal and Pavlos but it just seems fishy to me.

soCal girl said:
Since all these Crown Princely couples are giving her the title Godmother to their firstborns, would it be customary for Victoria in turn to name these couples godparents of her first-born?

Most likely Prince Willem-Alexander, the Prince of Orange.

Juliana of the Netherlands was godmother to Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
Beatrix of the Netherlands is godmother to Victoria of Sweden
Victoria of Sweden is godmother to Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands

There is a pattern in that. Juliana and Beatrix have always taken their 'godmothership' very serious.
Until very, very high age Juliana never missed any highday of her godson Carl XVI Gustaf (who also had his birthday on April 30th, like Juliana).
In Sweden the King always and ever gave the best place to his dear godmother Juliana.

Queen Beatrix personally came to Sweden to attend the Confirmation of her goddaughter Victoria of Sweden.
No doubt she will be given a special place at Victoria's wedding.

Prince Willem-Alexander has no Swedish godmother: his godmother is Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. On 02-02-2002 Queen Margrethe was part of the official bridal cortège and was given an important place (as only foreign royal) during the civil ceremony.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Most likely Prince Willem-Alexander, the Prince of Orange.

Juliana of the Netherlands was godmother to Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
Beatrix of the Netherlands is godmother to Victoria of Sweden
Victoria of Sweden is godmother to Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands

There is a pattern in that. Juliana and Beatrix have always taken their 'godmothership' very serious.
Until very, very high age Juliana never missed any highday of her godson Carl XVI Gustaf (who also had his birthday on April 30th, like Juliana).
In Sweden the King always and ever gave the best place to his dear godmother Juliana.

Queen Beatrix personally came to Sweden to attend the Confirmation of her goddaughter Victoria of Sweden.
No doubt she will be given a special place at Victoria's wedding.

Prince Willem-Alexander has no Swedish godmother: his godmother is Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. On 02-02-2002 Queen Margrethe was part of the official bridal cortège and was given an important place (as only foreign royal) during the civil ceremony.
But she was not present at his Wedding. Do know the reason ??

Stefan said:

Who and which wedding, don't understand?
On w-A's Margrethe and Victoria were there. http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal...967album-5.htm

Margrethe II http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs1...er1967-119.jpg
Victoria http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs1...er1967-165.jpg

If you mean Juliana on Carol XVI Gustaf's wedding she wasn't present - some info on wikipedia (I know it's not always a good source).
"Scandal rocked the Royal family again in 1976 when it was revealed that Prince Bernhard had accepted a $1.1 million bribe from U.S. aircraft manufacturer Lockheed Corporation to influence the Dutch government's purchase of fighter aircraft.
The Prime Minister of the Netherlands ordered an inquiry into the affair while Prince Bernhard refused to answer reporters' questions, stating: "I am above such things." This time, the Dutch people rather than calling on the Queen to abdicate, were fearful their beloved Juliana might abdicate out of shame or because of a criminal prosecution conducted in her name against her consort. On August 26, 1976 a censored and toned down, but devastating report on Prince Bernhard's activities was released to a shocked Dutch public. The Prince resigned his various high profile positions as a Lieutenant Admiral, a General and an Inspector General of the Armed Forces. The Prince resigned from his positions in the board of many businesses, charities, the World Wild Life Fund and other institutions. The Prince also accepted that he would have to give up wearing his beloved uniforms. In return, the States-General accepted that there was to be no criminal prosecution. The Government had manipulated the report on the Prince's conduct and had removed recent cases of corruption. The cases that were published had superannuated and were no longer punishable. Over time, the Royal family would work hard to rehabilitate the Prince's name."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_of_the_Netherlands

Last edited:
Stefan said:

It was in the heighth of the Lockheed Scandal which rocked the Dutch monarchy.

(Prince Bernhard was accused for being accessible to bribery by Lockheed Aircraft, to (mis)use his influence as Inspector-General of the Armed Forces and most important advisor to the Minister of Defence, to push the Netherlands Government to grant an order for the replacement of around 200 Starfighters by F16's made by Lockheed).

During the date of the Swedish royal marriage (June 1976) there was a serious constitutional crisis in the Netherlands, with the Queen threathening to abdicate and Princess Beatrix refusing to accede the kingship. In the given circumstances the Dutch royal couple remained in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Stefan said:
Juliana at the wedding of her godson Carl XVI. Gustaf. asd Henri M. wrote Juliana was present on all highdays of her godson Carl XVI. Gustaf.

I explained above.
:flowers:

By the way: the first outgoing State Visit of the King and his new Queen went to godmother Queen Juliana. :)

Henri M. said:
By the way: the first outgoing State Visit of the King and his new Queen went to godmother Queen Juliana. :)
That was the first state visit after the wedding, but not his first as King of Sweden, right? If my memory is correct he did state visits to all the Nordic countries first (Denmark, Norway, Finland & Iceland), I think that is a tradition :ermm:

rop81 said:
That was the first state visit after the wedding, but not his first as King of Sweden, right? If my memory is correct he did state visits to all the Nordic countries first (Denmark, Norway, Finland & Iceland), I think that is a tradition :ermm:
True. But it was the first state visit for the King _and_ the Queen together.
But you are right. King Carl Gustaf went to the Nordic countries before 1976

Meters van Eléonore worden kroonprinses Victoria van Zweden en prinses Claire van België.

Looks like Victoria will have another child to play Godmother to.

so she has 3 royal godchildren one ex royal
i think she is a godmother to Daniels siters child (am i wrong?)
to what friends children is she a godmother to?

Victoria is also a godmother to the newborn Princess Eleanore of Belgium. :flowers:

Does anybody knows if Victoria will attend the cristening of Princess Eléonore this weekend or not? Since she is the godmother!

Does anybody knows if Victoria will attend the cristening of Princess Eléonore this weekend or not? Since she is the godmother!
I guess so ig she's the godmother!!!!:wub:

If, and I mean, IF (I'm not speculating), Victoria and Daniel tie the knot, I think it would be very nice gesture if 'her' children would be included in the ceremony.

Queen magazine has a list of all of Victorias godchildren. Some new to me...

Princess CATHARINA-AMALIA, the Netherlands

Prince CONSTANTINE ALEXIOS, Greece

Princess INGRID ALEXANDRA, Norway

Prince CHRISTIAN, Denmark

Princess ELÉONORE, Belgium

LEOPOLD SOMMERLATH, son of Victorias cousin Patrick
MADELEINE VON DINKLAGE, daughter of Victorias cousin Sibylla
IAN DE GEER
, son of Victorias cousin Tina
VIVIEN SOMMERLATH, daughter of Victorias late uncle Jörg Sommerlath
ISABELLA CHLOÉ NILSSON daugter of Victorias friend Caroline Kreuger Nilsson
GIULIA SOMMERLATH daughter of queen Silvias cousin Thomas Sommerlath