The Swedish Monarchy Under Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Oskar II is his Coronation regalia and mantle.

314px-Oskar_II_by_Oscar_Bj%C3%B6rck_-_no_border_%28Nationalmuseum%2C_38942%29.png

I liked the Swedish "solution" of draping the ermine mantle over the throne. When I saw King Willem-Alexander in 2013 with that ermine, I thought: that is really an anachronism.

Of course monarchy is an anachronism itself, but using the ermine as an attribute rather than wearing it was an elegant Swedish solution for modern era.

I hope Queen Victoria will use these monarchal attributes as well. Seeing the three Swedish royal weddings, the funeral of Princess Lilian, the Nobel festivities, I am sure the Investiture of Queen Victoria will be a grand and stylish affair.

I liked the Swedish "solution" of draping the ermine mantle over the throne. When I saw King Willem-Alexander in 2013 with that ermine, I thought: that is really an anachronism.

Of course monarchy is an anachronism itself, but using the ermine as an attribute rather than wearing it was an elegant Swedish solution for modern era.

I hope Queen Victoria will use these monarchal attributes as well. Seeing the three Swedish royal weddings, the funeral of Princess Lilian, the Nobel festivities, I am sure the Investiture of Queen Victoria will be a grand and stylish affair.
From what I've heard rumored (but without a valid source) the main difference will be that Victoria won't take her seat on the Silver throne. Besides that to me the big questions are if the Royal Trabants of Karl XI will be included in the ceremony and if Queen Victoria and other female members of the Royal family will be in court dress (as in a floor length gown not the old State robes) or if she will have simplified the dress code.

From what I've heard rumored (but without a valid source) the main difference will be that Victoria won't take her seat on the Silver throne. Besides that to me the big questions are if the Royal Trabants of Karl XI will be included in the ceremony and if Queen Victoria and other female members of the Royal family will be in court dress (as in a floor length gown not the old State robes) or if she will have simplified the dress code.
In a way is it sad that a future Queen Victoria won't take her seat on the Silver throne, on the other hand very reasonable. The Silver throne is no longer in use, and no one has taken his or her seat on the throne since the last State Opening of the Riksdag in 1974.

It might me possible that they opt for a similar setting as for her Coming of Age Ceremony in 1995, with her and Daniel seated on chairs on the side of the podium. At least, I assume we won't see that much people, officials and/or drabants crowded at the podium.

Could she opt for a simple swearing-in ceremony at the Riksdag chamber similar to the current Spanish or Belgian practice? That would be consistent with the Parliament Act, which says that the Head of State may make a "statement of office" (Google translation, probably not the best one) before a session of Parliament.

I am not sure the Hall of State and the Silver Throne will be used as in 1973.

Could she opt for a simple swearing-in ceremony at the Riksdag chamber similar to the current Spanish or Belgian practice? That would be consistent with the Parliament Act, which says that the Head of State may make a "statement of office" (Google translation, probably not the best one) before a session of Parliament.

I am not sure the Hall of State and the Silver Throne will be used as in 1973.

But why would they wanted to do so? The Swedes typically seem to like their lavish ceremonies so why reduce the installation of a new monarch to a more limited ceremony?

But why would they wanted to do so? The Swedes typically seem to like their lavish ceremonies so why reduce the installation of a new monarch to a more limited ceremony?

For the same reason that the state opening of Parliament was downgraded after 1975. Victoria will be the first monarch to be inaugurated under the new Instrument of Government, which radically changed the constitutional position of the King.

Last edited:
For the same reason that the state opening of Parliament was downgraded after 1975. Victoria will be the first monarch to be inaugurated under the new Instrument of Government, which radically changed the constitutional position of the King.

I see. Although I am not sure how a swearing-in ceremony in the Riksdag stresses that the role is less political than it was previously. But you might be right; I guess I just hope that a more elaborate ceremony will be held. I am sure it can be adapted in such a way that it fits with its current constitutional role.

DN Debate article
"The next head of state must be governed more strictly by the politicians"
The form of government is a renunciation of the job description for the king. This has given King Carl XVI Gustaf, who in theory should be powerless, great power to elevate the ideals and groups he sees fit. To suddenly change the rules of the game now would be wrong. But the future head of state should be protected from unilateral external influence, writes author and professor Mikael Holmqvist.
”Nästa statschef måste styras hårdare av politikerna” - DN.SE
Translation

DN Debate article
The form of government is a renunciation of the job description for the king. This has given King Carl XVI Gustaf, who in theory should be powerless, great power to elevate the ideals and groups he sees fit. To suddenly change the rules of the game now would be wrong. But the future head of state should be protected from unilateral external influence, writes author and professor Mikael Holmqvist.
Translation
Here's a reply by Associate professor in Legal history Martin Sunnqvist (who wrote the commentary to the parliaments inquiry into a modern honours system, flag days and the royal family's finances)

https://www.dn.se/debatt/hardare-politisk-styrning-av-statschefen-gor-mer-skada-an-nytta/

Translation:
https://www-dn-se.translate.goog/de...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:
What will happen to the Swedish Royal Anthem, Kungssången, when Victoria is Queen? Unlike the UK's God Save the King, the lyrics of the King's Song seem cumbersome to adapt to female titles and pronouns. Will the lyrics change or will they be kept the same even though the monarch is a Queen and not a King?

What will happen to the Swedish Royal Anthem, Kungssången, when Victoria is Queen? Unlike the UK's God Save the King, the lyrics of the King's Song seem cumbersome to adapt to female titles and pronouns. Will the lyrics change or will they be kept the same even though the monarch is a Queen and not a King?
Who knows what will happen. Only the first and second verses would need some adaption and while the first could prove a little tricky it can be done so the lyrics will most likely be adapted.
It's not a big issue. Most people don't know the lyrics to the song and I doubt that many even know that the song exists. Maybe Queen Victoria will scrap the use of the song altogether.

Last edited:

In Denmark they still sing ”Kong Christian stod ved højen mast” even though the Monarch is a female… In. Netherlands they sang ”Het Wilhelmus” also with female Monarch’s….
The British solution of changing the words of the Royal Anthem after the gender of the Monarch is the exception here rather than a rule…

Most Swede’s barely knows the lyrics to ”Ur svenska hjärtans djup en gång” and many don’t even know it exists at all so it’s really not a big deal…

Perhaps the National Anthem ”Du Gamla - Du Fria” will be sung in the presence of the Monarch instead. A solution i personally favour.

DN Debate article
Translation

Here's a reply by Associate professor in Legal history Martin Sunnqvist (who wrote the commentary to the parliaments inquiry into a modern honours system, flag days and the royal family's finances)

https://www.dn.se/debatt/hardare-politisk-styrning-av-statschefen-gor-mer-skada-an-nytta/

Translation:
https://www-dn-se.translate.goog/de...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Very interesting. Are there many people in Sweden who share Mr. Holmqvist's concerns about the soft power of the monarchy? And would they agree with his suggested reform of having a government-appointed committee regulate the monarch's day-to-day activities?

Article at Hemmets Journal Magazine:
Herman Lindqvist (has written 69 books, mostly about royalty and history) says that Victoria knows how the country and nation work and how people think. She is well prepared and will do the job well. Lindqvist says that Victoria has a great ability to show presence and interest in what and who she meets. She prepares carefully for all her tasks. Who are important in the place and what they want to show and tell about. She is genuinely interested and asks good follow-up questions.
Drottningholm Palace's walls are decorated with paintings of Victoria's predecessors and warlords, everyone has a role in Swedish history. Victoria wanted to know more, she came to Lindqvist after a reception and told that she was severely dyslexic and had difficulty reading and wanted Lindqvist to come and "talk history" with her. They met several times a week for three years and could sit for up to three hours. Victoria was very interested and diligent, curious and enthusiastic. She took notes and the next time she could ask for details.
Victoria has said: "The monarchy survives if it can be adapted to and shaped according to the demands of the times. When the day comes, I am ready to become Queen of Sweden. It would be sad if the cultural heritage that my ancestors worked to hold together were to be spoiled. For example, I feel great pride in wearing one of the historic tiaras worn by my ancestors long ago on occasions."
Lindqvist believes that queen Victoria will hurry slowly, she doesn't want to change that much. She will of course rejuvenate the court staff and modernize a lot at the Palace, but she will probably cherish and carry on traditions.
Arne Norlin, author of the book "Familjen Bernadotte", says that Victoria will be better than her father, who never seemed comfortable in the role. Victoria is a good performer. She will be a new type of head of state, not as rigid and austere as her father. She even hugs people. The King has never done something like that. Victoria feels natural and genuinely nice. The fact that she married a wise man and had two cute children probably helps.
How the monarchy can change with Victoria on the throne, Norlin would be happy if she wanted to make a contribution in the matter of succession to the throne - that Estelle shouldn't be forced to take over if she doesn't want to or feel suitable. Norlin thinks that Princess Christina would have been a better queen than the king.
About her role models Victoria says that she is impressed by her parents. "And by Queen Margrethe in Denmark, whom we in the family call Daisy. She is my idol. She is wise and smart and means a lot to me.”
More here:
Hovexpert om Victoria som regent_ “Blir bättre än sin far”
Translation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom