The Imperial Household Council

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think they (IHA) are concerned that Masako could overshadow Nahurito.

Don't forget...Japan is a very traditional country (in terms of the roles of men and women).

on the head of the Prime Minister himself since he leads that Imperial Household Agency

The Japanese Prime Minister is not part of the IHA and wants to change the law to allow for women to succed. He began the process but it will take some time and if there is a boy born, he might lose support. But at the moment he is backing Aiko claim.

Here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Household_Agency

Oppie said:
The Japanese Prime Minister is not part of the IHA and wants to change the law to allow for women to succed. He began the process but it will take some time and if there is a boy born, he might lose support. But at the moment he is backing Aiko claim.

Here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Household_Agency

That's not what I found online: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/482746-post2.html

Article 29. The member of the Imperial Household Council, who is the Prime Minister, shall preside over its meeting.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and take it back when I see him getting it done. Until then he is just another politician playing his own cards with human lives at stake, in this case royal lives.
PS. I stand corrected on something, it's two royals allowed as members, not three as I said on my post above.

:flowers: But let's go back to the thread topic before the moderators give us a warning for getting off topic

Last edited:
And the current Prime Minister is about to leave office, isn't he? Can anyone comment on that and on who might be the likely successor -- someone conservative or liberal on this issue?

If the IHA is upset about the gender of Naruhito's child, they should take it out on him, not Masako, since it's the father's genetic contribution that determines the gender of the child.

And I'd be willing to bet also that whatever trouble Masako had in getting or staying pregnant was only made worse by any pressure placed on her by the IHA.

Oh, Lord, I just get so furious when I write or even think about this. I've got to knock off for a bit.

The IHA and IHC are different, it's the IHA that makes you want to :bang:

Emily said:
And the current Prime Minister is about to leave office, isn't he? Can anyone comment on that and on who might be the likely successor -- someone conservative or liberal on this issue?

The likely new Prime Minister is reported to be a conservative.

This article is about a year old, but it gives an idea. Looks as though it's going to be business as usual when he takes over.

AnnieCat said:
On a related topic -- does anyone know why the IHA was so reluctant to let Masako travel abroad? The woman was a trained and experienced diplomat before she married. What on earth did the IHA think she would do overseas, throw furniture???

The former Chief Steward of the IHA ( he's since retired) said in an interview a few years back that they deliberately restricted Masako's trips abroad as they wanted her to get pregnant. If you look at the dates of her official overseas trips ( there were only 5, that's part of the problem) the trips initially were in the first years of her marriage, the final trip in 2002 to Australia was when Aiko was a year old.

Had Masako got pregnant early in her marriage ( Aiko was born after 8 years of marriage, she also had a miscarriage 6 years into her marriage) ideally had a son, then there wouldn't have been any restrictions on overseas trips. In comparison the current Emperor and Empress, as crown prince and princess made multiple overseas trips, but then they had a son in the first year of their marriage and the sucession was guaranteed.

Charlotte1 said:
The former Chief Steward of the IHA ( he's since retired) said in an interview a few years back that they deliberately restricted Masako's trips abroad as they wanted her to get pregnant. If you look at the dates of her official overseas trips ( there were only 5, that's part of the problem) the trips initially were in the first years of her marriage, the final trip in 2002 to Australia was when Aiko was a year old.

I wonder if it occurred to them that she was very unlikely to get pregnant when her husband was off on foreign trips and she wasn't with him.

Had Masako got pregnant early in her marriage ( Aiko was born after 8 years of marriage, she also had a miscarriage 6 years into her marriage) ideally had a son, then there wouldn't have been any restrictions on overseas trips.

We don't know that. If the IHA wanted to lower her profile, there'd have been some nonsense about how a young mother's place was at home with her children while her husband was travelling.

In comparison the current Emperor and Empress, as crown prince and princess made multiple overseas trips, but then they had a son in the first year of their marriage and the sucession was guaranteed.

Princess Michiko wasn't quite such a threat as Princess Masako with her western education and her career and her desire to put her diplomatic skills to work. We don't know what would have happened, we can just speculate.

Charlotte1 said:
The former Chief Steward of the IHA ( he's since retired) said in an interview a few years back that they deliberately restricted Masako's trips abroad as they wanted her to get pregnant.

Haven't they read about the troubles animals have breeding in captivity? Perhaps the opposite approach would have been best -- send her off to an island with Naruhito for an extended stay. Wouldn't it be great if she returns from this trip pregnant?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Emily said:
Haven't they read about the troubles animals have breeding in captivity? Perhaps the opposite approach would have been best -- send her off to an island with Naruhito for an extended stay. Wouldn't it be great if she returns from this trip pregnant?!

In a way yes it would relieve some of her stress. But then again if she has another girl it would be just the same.

The traditionalists in Japan would maintain that it is impossible for Aiko to become Empress (or any woman) as the Emperor as a male is seen to be a descendant (in fact a diety before the post WWII MacArthur revisions) of the original Sun Goddess ( ironic, yes?). Daily, he has to participate in Shinto religious rites in the Palace as the earthly link to the mystical past. As Shinto priests are all male, the person who sits on the Imperial throne has to be male or an Emperor.

I think changing Succession laws in Japan will be a lot more complex culturely than just an act of Parliment. It goes back to the religious beliefs and the mythical core of how traditional Japanese see themselves. It may just not be the right time. I think after the entire WWII generation passes, a more pragmatic viewpoint may emerge. Remember, those who lived through or fought in WWII were brought up to view the Emperor as Divine.

I support a constitutional monarchy which at least lets the children, male or female, of the Emperor suceed to the Throne, exactly as Elizabeth II became Queen of England after the death of her father, George VI. Ideally, the eldest child of the sovereign, regardless of gender, should inherit.

Caroline Mathilda

Toledo said:
she could pick up courage and yes, throw some furniture...on the head of the Prime Minister himself since he leads that Imperial Household Agency. ;)

The Prime Minister leads the meetings of the Imperial Household Council ( a Constitutionaly mandated group) . The secretive Imperial Household Agency(IHA) is the bureaucratic organization which runs the Family's affairs.

The Imperial Household Council is similar to the British Privy Council ( ig the PM serves on this Council).

The Imperial Household Agency is similar to the Royal Household. (The Queen's powerful Private Secretary serves in this group).

The current Prime Minister is probably the best political ally that Masako and Aiko have ever had.

Caroline Mathilda

Last edited by a moderator:
caroline mathilda said:
The current Prime Minister is probably the best political ally that Masako and Aiko have ever had.

Caroline Mathilda

Probably but don't give him too much credit as Koizumi ( the current prime minister) is a populist who wants to leave a historical mark and be remembered in history. ( Through his policies and reforms)
He had no real interest in changing the sucession laws until, opinion polls showed that most Japanese would accept a female Emperor. Then he became the champion of female sucession. But as soon as Kiko's pregnancy was announced he could have pass the sucession bill in parliament but instead shelved it ( there's no rush, let's wait and see) His term in office runs out in September so even if Kiko's baby is a girl, he won't have time to get the sucession laws changed.

(The same opinion polls that favoured female sucession, after Kiko's pregnancy was made public came back and showed that, yes female sucession was OK if there was no other choice. Chance of a boy, leave them as they are)

It seems we have no thread for the Imperial Household Agency (Kunaicho), thus I shall post this here.:)

Issei Nomura, Grand master of the Crown Prince's household has retired, since he is 71 years old. He was in charge for the Crown Prince's household since 2006. Mr Nomura is a well-known diplomat and childhood friend to Mr Owada (the Crown Princess's father).
The new Grand master was appointed Kyoji Komachi (born 1946) who is also a Japanese diplomat and worked as an Ambassador to the kingdom of Thailand.
Kyoji Komachi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
... also already an old man .. why that?

(not a fan of old man)

On November 8th, the House of Representatives Steering Committee acknowledged former Prime Minister Naoto Kan will be a reserve member on the Imperial Household Council. It will be official at the plenary session of the current Diet session. Kan's election is unusual. A member of the House of Representatives should have taken the spot left by Tatsuo Kawabata's retirement; Kawabata proposed the ex-prime minister and the exception was allowed.

Source: Sankei

Last edited:
Why is this significant?
What political color has Naoto?
Do you think he will be there to better advise the new emperor in regards to dealing with the Japanese government? It's after all something of a tight-rope-walk!
- Or to reign him in?

I'm not sure how significant. Kan joined the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan after the break up of the Democratic Party. He regained his district seat (Tokyo 18th district) in the 2017 election so he is a member of the House of Representatives. Maybe it's his brief stint as prime minister (June 2010 - September 2011) that's unusual. When he was PM, Kan would have been a member of the Imperial Household Council.

The Imperial House Council - The Imperial Household Agency
Council Members
  • Two Imperial Family Members
  • Speaker of the House of Representatives
  • Vice-Speaker of the House of Representatives
  • President of the House of Councilors
  • Vice-President of the House of Councilors
  • Prime Minister
  • Grand Steward of the Imperial Household Agency
  • Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
  • A justice of the Supreme Court
Reserve Members