The Crown Prince family's trip abroad

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder who's idea this was? Haakon or MM? It seems that they want to go at reat lengths to do this

It sounds like they've been planning this for a while. I think they probably want to give the kids a taste of 'normal life'. They'll only be gone two months so what I don't understand is why they couldn't do it over the summer holidays when their children are out of school?

Not only the children have school, but Mette-Marit has her University courses also unless she has made some special arrangements.

I guess they will stay mostly in Europe. Remember that MM don't like flights too much. But not western Europe, I think that they may visit eastern/central Europe, maybe some parts of Asia. Those are by me countries they do not know a lot and there is also not a risk of any ilnesses which is not typical for Norway. I donť think they will take such small children to any very different place, to climate which they are totally not used to it.

Not only the children have school, but Mette-Marit has her University courses also unless she has made some special arrangements.

According to this blog, Mette-Marit's classes end mid-November and don't start again until just before they return from their trip.

I think the choose USA, or any other country of Americas.
They love to be in NY and I think they want their children to know the life there.

I think they would find the "private" life they want if the came to the US, most people here, unless you are a royal watcher, would not recognize them, so they could travel without a lot of photogs around them, especially if they visit middle America.

Good Luck to them, it's nice to go away. Shame they're gone for christmas though.

I don't really know what to think about that. It's a great idea to show the kids parts of the world (which is really important esp. for Ingrid-Alexandra in her future) and to show them "normal" life, but how normal is it to take children out of school for two month whenever you want it... I think the summer holidays would have been a better time. They are going to miss the Nobel Prize and christmas at home.
The idea itself is great though.

Something about this is rather weird... Maybe someone needs to reminds them they're royal and not celebrities.... This whole thing is odd I hope everything is okay with them...

Maybe someone needs to reminds them they're royal and not celebrities

What do you mean?
Just because they are deciding to go away for two months, where they won't be doing much anyway, that makes them celebrities?

I see this trip as a great opportunity for them and I don’t have any problem with them going away for some time. It’s not like this is the start of a new tradition.

I’ve read through some of the articles posted and watched one of the videos and made some translations of what is said.

From the NRK video, posted in post number 1.

About the trip:

The Crown Prince says they wish to spend time together as a family, and they wish to show their children the many different peoples, cultures, religions and ways of life there is, and that this will be something the children can bring with them as they grow older and something they can share as a family. They hope to experience great things together, and for the children to see that the world is full of diversity and variety.

About Princess Ingrid’s and Marius’s schooling:

Crown Princess says they have great respect for the daily work that happens in Norwegian schools, and this is a part of the trip they have thought the much about. It’s been important for the family for the schools not to experience that they got more work in relation to the trip. They have made a program together with the schools that the children will follow so they won’t find themselves behind when they get back, this according to their syllabus. They have also made another program about the different places they will visit. They think it will be great, but this is the aspect of the planning they have used the most time on and prepared the most so that they were able to solve the challenges in the best way.

Crown Prince says they wish for their children will learn the importance of schooling, because it is. The family has taking schooling into account as they have been planning and working out how to do this, and found that they thought it was right for the children to be taken out of school when they know had the opportunity to take the trip. Again, they have though this true and planned it so that it will work.

About the King and Queen:

The Crown Prince says he is lucky he has positive supporting parents who understand that they take the chance to do this when they are able.
It is so that the King and Queen won’t be left with too much work on them alone that the trip has been planned for these months, because there is less representation work during this time, and many of the ones that do take place take place with both the Royal couple and Crown Prince couple together. Part of the trip also takes place during the Christmas holiday. They believe the trip will be a wonderful experience for all of them and that it will be a learning experience as well.

The Crown Princess says that the modern world is a small one, and that if something happens at home it will be easy for them to travel back.

Money:

Crown Prince Haakon says it’s a private trip that they will pay for with their own money and not money from the state. The money the royal family are given from the state for their official work is given on a yearly basic and it is not natural to split that up in months and hours.

From the official press release:

The purpose of the trip is to meet people and to experience other countries and cultures together as a family. As they have a whole life in the public eye they ask the press to leave them undisturbed during the trip.

“The people of the world live very different life. Our experiences make the foundations for the way we understand the world and for all of our perspectives. As well as spending more time together, we hope this trip will give the children insight to other cultures and knowledge to how people live other places in the world.”

From the side2 article linked in post number 9:

Crown Prince Haakon says he thinks the children are quite excited and that they don’t exactly know what to expect, but he believes they are all looking forward to it. It will be exciting to experience something new, but it is a difference between a four year old and a thirteen year old.

The Crown Princess says that the children are looking forward to spend a greater deal of time together with their parents, regardless of where. She believes this will be good for them as a family.

Further on she tells the press that they are not bringing a private tutor, so it is only her and The Crown Prince that will act as teachers for the children. This will be a nice way to continue the work they already have been doing regarding schoolwork and homework. They have together with the schools and their stab made a program where the children will learn about other cultures and religions. A great focus is on the children so that they shall be able to follow their regular school syllabus.

Will they have security with them or is just going to be MM, Haakon and their children?

I hope they will have a wonderful and eventful trip. There would be much less discourse in the world if more people take time to travel and get to know other peoples and cultures. The whole family will remember this for the rest of their lives. You are not chained to the throne because you are a royal. How much time does not some royal families spend at their summer/vacation castles. CP Haakon is very busy and engaged so this is a great trip for him to be with his family before they are too grown to want to spend time with their parents.

Something about this is rather weird... Maybe someone needs to reminds them they're royal and not celebrities....
I don't see anything celebrity-like in their plans to experience other cultures at all.

Actually I think it's a great opputunity for the whole family.
The CP couple is involved in many humanitraian and developmental programmes (both are ambassadors of the UNDP) and often mention cultural differences in their spreeches. I think it will be quite interesting for them to get a feeling what it is actually like to live in other cultures. It's a great chance for the whole family.
I'm pretty sure the trip was planned since quite a while now (and I really cannot imagine martial problems are the reason for this trip). As King and Queen they most likely wouldn't have the chance to go on a trip like this. I think the time for such a trip is right: King Harald isn't the youngest anymore; the children are old enough for an experience like this...
(Well, maybe they could have gone to this trip in the summer. Too bad they won't be in Norway for the Nobel Prize and Christmas ;)).

Last edited:
What do you mean?
Just because they are deciding to go away for two months, where they won't be doing much anyway, that makes them celebrities?

Well I meant they're not celebrities because they can't just do what they want when they want without expecting to be followed by reporters. Celebrities don't need to have responsibilities & priorities but royals do.....

I don't see anything celebrity-like in their plans to experience other cultures at all.
I meant it's celebrity like because they're acting as if they have no responsibilities to their country...

This trip could actually be a good thing I just wish it was executed differently, that's all....

I don't understand, how can they pay it with their own money? Do they work only for the Royal House, or they have also own business, other jobs? Because if they work only for the Royal House, than they get the money from the state. How can they have "own money"? They have spared from the money of the state?

I don't understand, how can they pay it with their own money? Do they work only for the Royal House, or they have also own business, other jobs? Because if they work only for the Royal House, than they get the money from the state. How can they have "own money"? They have spared from the money of the state?

They probably have private, inherited wealth from 'the old days'. I remember reading somewhere that King Harald gave Princess Martha Louise her 'share' near her wedding and did it in such a way as to minimise taxes or something..

Well I meant they're not celebrities because they can't just do what they want when they want without expecting to be followed by reporters. Celebrities don't need to have responsibilities & priorities but royals do.....

I meant it's celebrity like because they're acting as if they have no responsibilities to their country...

This trip could actually be a good thing I just wish it was executed differently, that's all....

How is it to be executed differrently?
What responsiblities do they have, in the months when they do very little engagements?
If the Norwegian people have no problem with them going on this trip, and if the press understand they want to be left alone then it's okay.

They're probably paying for it with inheritance or invested money.

I hope when they returned from the trip that they share their experiences with others. I imagine if they decide to do this, it will be interesting to see if they write a book about it or talk about it in an interview.

I hope when they returned from the trip that they share their experiences with others. I imagine if they decide to do this, it will be interesting to see if they write a book about it or talk about it in an interview.

I am also hoping that they for example do a video diary or the like to share their expriences with us. But maybe this is just wishful thinking. Hopefully they will have lots of great moments together.

How is it to be executed differrently?
What responsiblities do they have, in the months when they do very little engagements?
If the Norwegian people have no problem with them going on this trip, and if the press understand they want to be left alone then it's okay.

They're probably paying for it with inheritance or invested money.

I guess since I'm not Norwegian it really doesn't matter that I don't like the idea, like you said if they're okay with it then that's what matters! :flowers:

By saying executed differently I means as in taking up a few official duties during the time that they're gone making it more of pleasure mixed with business if that makes sense...

It's only 8 weeks?! That's just a long vacation! Odd that they're taking this "vacation" during the Nobel Prizes month. Guess we can count on not seeing them there. Given MM's aversion to flying, I'm guessing the US will probably not be their destination (although that would be great - there's so much to see). I hope they take sufficient security with them.

The family asked the king and the Queen if they are not against the trip. They are not. As the majority of Norwegians. They are really open-minded and know how it makes children grow mentally. So this 8 weeks are a great contribution to the future of the 2 future monarchs.

I hope that they'll make a film as well. It'd be great to share their experience with people of their country.

In this 2 months have the kids their birthdays...

The way I see it, is that this (going away)and MM's image change, are all the result of the same thing, maybe the need to make a change, midlife crisis (some pple have it early)etc.

The first thing that occurred to me was that the King's health is slipping and they want to exercise a little freedom before assuming the top job, whenever that might be. Of course, we will not be privy to that information so it's just my speculation.

Regarding the education aspect, as the mother of a 2nd grader myself, it seems REALLY odd to start your daughter at school for the first time only to pull her out within a couple of months. That's what makes me think that there is something we don't know about all of this.

Further, the darkest months of winter seem an odd time to tour Europe, IMO, so I hope they do go to warmer & sunnier climes.

Now that my misgivings have been aired, I wish them a happy and safe trip and can't wait to hear all about it! :flowers:

Interesting, hope they have a wondeful time and it would be interesting to have Royals in the US.

Back
Top Bottom