"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I can separate fact from fiction, so I'll be watching Series 5 when it airs. If I can sit through the crap that was the last season of Game of Thrones, whatever The Crown serves can't possibly be worse.

Well, I can separate fact from fiction, so I'll be watching Series 5 when it airs. If I can sit through the crap that was the last season of Game of Thrones, whatever The Crown serves can't possibly be worse.

I agree, on both counts.:flowers:

Intrigues me that netflix is so happy to declare now "its fictional" yet won't put that disclaimer at the front of an episode.

Perhaps they will be forced to do so given the level of public criticism?

Good to see John Major stand up to the utter tosh that appears to be The Crown these days.

Whilst I agree I also think it will only generate more and more publicity for Season 5!

Yougov has a live poll ongoing at present about the Crown

"From what you've read and seen do you think the TV The Crown is or is not an accurate account of what really happened?

Worryingly, 37% answered "don't know"
1% said "fully accurate"
22% said "mostly accurate"
24% "not very accurate"
17% said "not an accurate account at all"

The Crown has well & truly passed its sell by date.

The first series was the standout & the Aberfan disaster in series two was the standout of the entire show. In fact the episode on Aberfan is probably the finest example of tv ever.

But now it's entered muckraking territory. I don't think there's much appetite in the UK for it. Not now we have a new king who is the focal point of national loyalty.

What's the point other than making money? And the lies called out by John Major must be a real embarrassment & a blow to Netflix's credibility.

Last edited:
Aberfan was in Series 3, as Olivia Colman had taken over by then. I agree that it was the standout episode of that series.

I think the problem is that evens like the Aberfan were unknown and long in the past for those watching whereas now we are approaching a period most viewers will remember. Those that don't are the ones who may well take the made up elements as truth. Likewise as these events are better remembered (if anything we have War of Wales fatigue IMO) it takes more to make the episodes have that "something" whereas those focussing on oder episodes could rely on the events being unknown as a "pull" now they are relying on "a new twist" to create the draw.

I honestly think they should have waited much longer between each set of series i.e. done the first two seasons then waited longer before the next two and then again with these late two seasons. It obviously wouldn't work for Netflix and money making but its all a bit ott and a bit much now IMO. I definitely think they should have delayed this series until after the coronation, anything too critical towards the late Queen and even Philip will not go down well IMO.

Good to see John Major stand up to the utter tosh that appears to be The Crown these days. I have not seen the last 2 series, and have no intention of watching series 5.

I’m glad to see him take a stand too.

It’s utter fiction and paints both men in an incredibly nasty light. That’s just not right.

After John Major it is now Judi DAench who is critisizing The Crown:

Dame Judi Dench calls The Crown ‘cruelly unjust’
With Season 5 of the Netflix drama hitting screens next month, including some entirely invented scenes, Judi Dench has joined the ranks of those expressing dismay at its ‘crude sensationalism’
By Natasha Leake

Judi Dench has joined the growing opprobrium over the storyline of The Crown, in a ‘strongly-worded letter’ to the Times. The Oscar-winner, who is one of Britain’s most distinguished actresses, has accused the Netflix series of ‘crude sensationalism’ and said that it was ‘cruelly unjust’. She called on Netflix to insert a disclaimer at the start of the programme to say it is a ‘fictionalised drama’, a move that the streaming giant has resisted so far. This, she said, would not only be a mark of respect for the late Queen, but would also help preserve Netflix’s reputation.

https://www.tatler.com/article/the-...ter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

its always been silly stuff nad full of inaccuracies. That wouldnt' matter if people were capable of distinguishing between ficitonal series about the RF and history

Sadly this is a common occurrence with modern historical tv shows who take such historical licence ,the Tudors,Versailles and so on.

Obviously, but this is a series, coming up to the present day, about real life people, who are still around, and I think that it has had a very bad effect on the RF

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Season 6 was scrapped given the backlash against the series.

Well, the trailer for Season 5 just dropped, and regardless of how you feel about the show or how certain people are portrayed, Elizabeth Debicki as Diana was genius casting. I'd share the video for it, but I don't know how to imbed a YouTube video in a post.

Last edited:
I don't think Staunton got the voice, which is another disappointing thing.

I love the Crown and fully accept it as a prestige soap opera based on real events but this trailer isn't as engrossing as the previous trailers. I'll still be watching though and all the negative publicity will surely generate even more views for Netflix. The 90s were a dark and tumultuous time for the BRF, a lot it through the BRFs own doing, but I still sympathize with them. However, part of living life so publicly, as H&M have discovered, is that you cannot control the narrative completely all the time.

I'm not sure why Imelda Staunton not sounding like QEII is a problem. Olivia Colman didn't sound anything like her either, and she was marvelous. Claire Foy is the only one of the three actresses we've seen actually nail the voice and intonation.

I'm not sure why Imelda Staunton not sounding like QEII is a problem. Olivia Colman didn't sound anything like her either, and she was marvelous. Claire Foy is the only one of the three actresses we've seen actually nail the voice and intonation.

Personally, I didn't think Olivia's Season 3 performance was that great, either, so perhaps it will take another season for Staunton. Colman did absolutely maintain her clipped diction and uber-RP intonation, though. I understand the real Queen's voice "relaxed" a bit over the decades, but I'm just not hearing it from Staunton, nor is she visually there in this trailer.

So there's not much Queen to go on for maintaining the dramatic illusion, frankly.

Last edited:
Maybe John Major can sue Netflix for slander? It's a foul accusation to lay at a PM, that they conspired to replace a reigning monarch.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Season 6 was scrapped given the backlash against the series.

I doubt that will happen; for the networks it's all about the money, and The Crown is one of the most popular series that they have.

(They'll probably air it until George is a grandfather!)

I doubt that will happen; for the networks, it's all about the money, and The Crown is one of the most popular series that they have.

(They'll probably air it until George is a grandfather!)

Nah, the plan was always six seasons. Two with young QEII, two with middle-aged QEII, and two with older QEII. If she was still alive, maybe they could have wrung another season out of it and show Charles and Camilla getting married, then William getting married, but I couldn't see it going much beyond that.

Well that didn't take much.

It's not on tv yet, though, and isn't known if it will air before episodes.

Timothy Dalton will be in at least one episode of Season 5 as Peter Townsend.

So no matter how awful this season may get with regards to portrayal and truth, that makes me happy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom