State Visit from The King and Queen of Spain: November 24-25 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Splendid Welcome Ceremony on behalf of the Swedish hosts I think this is only the second time I've seen Felipe/Letizia in a carriage and most be a novel experience for them.

The Royal Barge Vasaorden hasn't been used after Victoria and Daniel's wedding.
The Armed Forces announced in August that the Royal Barge Vasaorden is in for a thorough renovation
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...on-cars-carriages-etc-1770-3.html#post2421119

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=429380228560103&set=pb.100044643870054.-2207520000..

I don´t want to offend any fans of these two Royal Families, but from what I have seen so far I really miss the usual warmth and relaxed atmosphere when european Royals normally meet. Everything looked stiff and a bit cold - no comparision to the happy and humorous energy at the state visit of the dutch royal couple to Norway 3 weeks ago!

The Queen of Spain looked as if she doesn´t really wanted to be there. The King of Sweden was his usual strained looking self. Queen Silvias smile looked tormented.
I do hope this won´t go on throughout this visit. But perhaps I´m just wrong with my impressions and everybody was happy inside...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don´t want to offend any fans of these two Royal Families, but from what I have seen so far I really miss the usual warmth and relaxed atmosphere when european Royals normally meet. Everything looked stiff and a bit cold - no comparision to the happy and humorous energy at the state visit of the dutch royal couple to Norway 3 weeks ago!

The Queen of Spain looked as if she doesn´t really wanted to be there. The King of Sweden was his usual strained looking self. Queen Silvias smile looked tormented.
I do hope this won´t go on throughout this visit. But perhaps I´m just wrong with my impressions and everybody was happy inside...

The fact that there is a pandemic still going on might be part of it. Many people who are now required by their employers to go back to in-person work, even with reduced hours, would rather stay safe working at home. Maybe Letizia feels the same with respect to state visits and, if she does, I wouldn't blame her. I also think it is too soon to bring back events like that, as I said in another thread (as much as I like to see them though).

Having said that, Letizia and Felipe are a very business-like royal couple and they normally don't come across to me as "warm and relaxed". Certainly, I don't expect to see Letizia ever acting like Maxima for example. They are more like the British royals in the sense of being "stiff".

If anyone has missed it Casa Real offers a livestream of the State banquet on YouTube.

Queen Letitia has a very negative aura - never you see a radiant, happy person.

The fact that there is a pandemic still going on might be part of it. Many people who are now required by their employers to go back to in-person work, even with reduced hours, would rather stay safe working at home. Maybe Letizia feels the same with respect to state visits and, if she does, I wouldn't blame her. I also think it is too soon to bring back events like that, as I said in another thread (as much as I like to see them though).

Having said that, Letizia and Felipe are a very business-like royal couple and they normally don't come across to me as "warm and relaxed". Certainly, I don't expect to see Letizia ever acting like Maxima for example. They are more like the British royals in the sense of being "stiff".
Well, my point was not to put "blame" on somebody - it was just an observation as I was expecting something else. Queen Letizia is not always like that and usually I know the Queen of Sweden also as a very warm and embracing person. King Felipe on the other hand was smilingly charming as he always is.
The "stiffness" of the british Royals...? Oh well, isn´t that a cliché? The british Queen always welcomed her royal relatives and counterparts at their state visits to the UK with grace and affection - and very warm smiles!
I`m now watching the live broadcast of the state banquet - as far as I can see so far that atmosphere has not improved since midday...

Well, my point was not to put "blame" on somebody - it was just an observation as I was expecting something else. Queen Letizia is not always like that and usually I know the Queen of Sweden also as a very warm and embracing person. King Felipe on the other hand was smilingly charming as he always is.
The "stiffness" of the british Royals...? Oh well, isn´t that a cliché? The british Queen always welcomed her royal relatives and counterparts at their state visits to the UK with grace and affection - and very warm smiles!
I`m now watching the live broadcast of the state banquet - as far as I can see so far that atmosphere has not improved since midday...

Sweden follows rules of social distance, and Spain the mandatory use of masks in many circumstances ... so all of them must keep their distance, which does not favor closeness gestures. And even though both countries are doing better than other European countries at the moment, they try to follow the rules.

The normality of the Netherlands' visit to Norway, where there were no restrictions of any kind, was scandalous for me, because at that time many Central European countries had very high rates of Covid, including the Netherlands, which had strong restrictions a few days after.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia leaving the hotel

EXCLUSIVA - SS.MM. LOS REYES SALEN DE SU HOTEL CAMINO A LA CENA DE GALA QUE LES OFRECEN LOS REYES DE SUECIA - Todos - ..:GTRESONLINE:..

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...e-vi-reina-leitizia-cena-gala-reyes-suecos/2/
https://www.semana.es/casas-reales/...a-favorita-joyas-de-pasar-20211124-002419383/

Last edited:
Sweden follows rules of social distance, and Spain the mandatory use of masks in many circumstances ... so all of them must keep their distance, which does not favor closeness gestures. And even though both countries are doing better than other European countries at the moment, they try to follow the rules.

for me it is not the distance the had to keep but more the facial expressions and tense looks. somehow it looked not like Queen Letizia liked to be there

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=429380228560103&set=pb.100044643870054.-2207520000..

Well they are different persons.... I would never expect King Carl Gustaf to behave as King Harald, simply because he is not King Harald. We can like it or dislike it but he simply has not that personality and has never had.

Likewise i would for obvious reasons never expect Queen Letizia to grin from earlobe to earlobe like Queen Maxima.
Though i must say in Letizia’s defense that she seems to like the compaionship of Queen Silvia (who is a fluent spanish speaker).. She looks more relaxed when they are together...

Many here in Scandinavia reacted negatively that there was no social diatancing rules at all during the Dutch-Norwegian visit, as Norway has much more problems with the current wave of Covid-infections, than Sweden for example...

Last edited:
The Collar of the Golden Fleece , the Collar of the Serafim for the Kings, the Sash of the Serafim and the Sash of the Order of Carlos III for the Queens . For the Crown Princess the Order of Isabella la Catolica. The Queens with their best tiaras. But the King of Sweden is a bad Host and did not speak to the King of Spain ..

But the Guests, a small bow and an other small bow and they left ....

The Official Picture the King of Sweden decided where to stay , he did not ask to smile because he can't but only the King of Spâin did it. and go to the Dinner ....

Last edited:
Great to see that both kings are wearing their collars properly: King Felipe with the collar of the Seraphim and the badge of the Golden Fleece on a necklet, King Carl Gustaf with the collar of the Golden Fleece and the badge of the Polar Star (?) on a necklet.

And Queen Letizia, as expected, also became a member of the order of the Seraphim. The other members of the Swedish Royal Family are wearing the pre-announced Spanish orders they received: Charles III for Queen Silvia, Isabella the Catholic for CP Victoria, and the order of Civil Merit for Daniel, Carl Philip and Sophia.

I like the Aquamarine tiara, but I don't think it matches the yellow sash of Isabella the Catholic very well. It would have looked great with the order of Charles III.

Great to see that both kings are wearing their collars properly: King Felipe with the collar of the Seraphim and the badge of the Golden Fleece on a necklet, King Carl Gustaf with the collar of the Golden Fleece and the badge of the Polar Star (?) on a necklet.

And Queen Letizia, as expected, also became a member of the order of the Seraphim. The other members of the Swedish Royal Family are wearing the pre-announced Spanish orders they received: Charles III for Queen Silvia, Isabella the Catholic for CP Victoria, and the order of Civil Merit for Daniel, Carl Philip and Sophia.

I like the Aquamarine tiara, but I don't think it matches the yellow sash of Isabella the Catholic very well. It would have looked great with the order of Charles III.
It is indeed the Order of the Polar Star.

I agree with you, not the best match for the Crown Princess. Perhaps the Baden Fringe would have been a better option?

Sent from my SM-A725F using The Royals Community mobile app

Well they are different persons.... I would never expect King Carl Gustaf to behave as King Harald, simply because he is not King Harald. We can like it or dislike it but he simply has not that personality and has never had.

Likewise i would for obvious reasons never expect Queen Letizia to grin from earlobe to earlobe like Queen Maxima.
Though i must say in Letizia’s defense that she seems to like the compaionship of Queen Silvia (who is a fluent spanish speaker).. She looks more relaxed when they are together...

Many here in Scandinavia reacted negatively that there was no social diatancing rules at all during the Dutch-Norwegian visit, as Norway has much more problems with the current wave of Covid-infections, than Sweden for example...
May be - but I was referring to atmosphere and relaxed manners in the company of each other, not physical contact. And the dutch-norwegian st. visit was just one example of the rule.
And I would never expect someone to act like another person! It just occurs to me that I have never watched royal families with their traditionally close ties acting so distant. I exclude, as I stated before, the spanish King and also, of course, CPcss Victoria from that.

The Queen of Spain, who I really don´t dislike, on the contrary, looked at some stages of the Defileè even aloof. At some guests passing by she didn´t even smile or nod. She looked absolutely beautiful, though, as always. But a bit like the Snow Queen.

Last edited:
Perhaps Letizia is just cold. Literally.

She and her wardrobe staff seem not to have quite anticipated that it is freezing in Stockholm at the moment, and capes are not the best way of staying warm.

That being said, I've seen perfectly normal smiles from her. She's interested in everything like she always is, just cautious like she always is. Also, cold. (Should have taken Sofia's puffer jacket.)

sigh As usual, I look and see no rudeness from Letizia. She appears, as always, to be a reserved person.

If anyone is guilty of off-nominal royal facial expressions, it's usually the King of Sweden! Which at this point, I kind of find endearing.

sigh As usual, I look and see no rudeness from Letizia. She appears, as always, to be a reserved person.

If anyone is guilty of off-nominal royal facial expressions, it's usually the King of Sweden! Which at this point, I kind of find endearing.

Well, women must always appear pleasant and "smile" and men are excepted from that, dontcha know.

Well, women must always appear pleasant and "smile" and men are excepted from that, dontcha know.
Who said that?! I was also referring to both Kings who have two very different approaches when it comes to relaxing vs cooling down an atmosphere, which is not nothing for somebody acting as "country´s no. 1 diplomat" and head of state. So, read my posts more carefully before you spread any clichès of how women are being seen in public or what was prejudimental expected of them.

I think what we see is a combination of different things: Queen Letizia is reserved and often a bit tense, King Carl Gustav always clams up in front of cameras, Letizia has a tendency for what it's called a resting bitch face, Carl Gustav often looks grumpy as can Daniel do... now when watching the livestream and other film clips I see all of them smiling, talking and I see none of the coldness or aloofness that some of you write about.

Perhaps Letizia is just cold. Literally.

She and her wardrobe staff seem not to have quite anticipated that it is freezing in Stockholm at the moment, and capes are not the best way of staying warm.

That being said, I've seen perfectly normal smiles from her. She's interested in everything like she always is, just cautious like she always is. Also, cold. (Should have taken Sofia's puffer jacket.)
How do you know she was cold? I have seen no indications about that. I guess they will have taken care of the Palace was warm enough - and other ladies, as usual, also didn´t choose any "warm" evening gowns, too.

I think what we see is a combination of different things: Queen Letizia is reserved and often a bit tense, King Carl Gustav always clams up in front of cameras, Letizia has a tendency for what it's called a resting bitch face, Carl Gustav often looks grumpy as can Daniel do... now when watching the livestream and other film clips I see all of them smiling, talking and I see none of the coldness or aloofness that some of you write about.

Perhaps we are referring to two different state visits...?!:whistling:;)

On recent form I think Letizia loves her arms and wants to show them off an every opportunity. (..)

Who said that?! I was also referring to both Kings who have two very different approaches when it comes to relaxing vs cooling down an atmosphere, which is not nothing for somebody acting as "country´s no. 1 diplomat" and head of state. So, read my posts more carefully before you spread any clichès of how women are being seen in public or what was prejudimental expected of them.

For one thing, I wasn't even responding to your post. Perhaps read through more carefully before you become so excited, or just don't read mine at all?

To respond to the rest of your querying, I don't know Letizia is cold, obviously, but she had a cape she had to clutch closed all day. If a stylist had had a bit more foresight she should have had something she could have hooked shut. For another thing, she's huddled into Felipe even with "fur" on - which if it is fake, will not provide very much warmth.

Every other woman there is local and quite used to how cold it is. Letizia is not.

To respond to the rest of your querying, I don't know Letizia is cold, obviously, but she had a cape she had to clutch closed all day. If a stylist had had a bit more foresight she should have had something she could have hooked shut. For another thing, she's huddled into Felipe even with "fur" on - which if it is fake, will not provide very much warmth.

Every other woman there is local and quite used to how cold it is. Letizia is not.

Sorry but before such a trip one makes sure that ones know's the likely temperatures and brings the right gowns/dresses for it. And it is not that she has to do it herself.

I am not used to hearing Carl Gustaf speak in public as you Swedes are, but listening to the King in the press conference earlier today, I realized what you have been saying about him as a public speaker. He really struggles, which is not his fault really being dyslexic, I guess.

Perhaps we are referring to two different state visits...?!:whistling:;)
More likely people see what they want to see.
I for one don't buy into the agenda of a cold, aloof Queen of Spain. On the contrary I'm quite fond of her. That said it's obvious that she's not comfortable with being on show. I'd be quite tense too when facing a long line of strange people I'd have to greet and talk too.

Sorry but before such a trip one makes sure that ones know's the likely temperatures and brings the right gowns/dresses for it. And it is not that she has to do it herself.

Well, aside from the fact weather has famously not cooperated on royal tours before, her stylists don't appear to have gotten the idea. Not to mention going from a climate where the weather is never like this to a literally freezing place is quite hard when you aren't used to it. When was the last trip they had to a place where it was so cold when it was this cold?

Letizia is a small person with barely any natural insulation, from a warm climate. I think she's cold. And her wardrobe missed the mark this time.

I’ve always been fascinated by CG’s and Victoria’s journey over coming dyslexia, and dyslexia and face blindness, respectively.

In CG’s case, I can’t imagine the struggle in school, as it wasn’t understood or diagnosed during his school years. There aren’t really many requirements to be a king, but reading speeches is naturally important.

And my understanding is that Victoria has both dyslexia and face-blindness. You just don’t hear of many people with face blindness. I can’t imagine how much difficulty that causes when your entire role involves diplomacy.

I have face blindness, but wasn’t diagnosed until I was in my late 20’s. I don’t have dyslexia, but both of my kids have dysgraphia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom