"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am first time posting here after lurking for a couple of months.

There has been much interesting information in this thread. I wonder about Harry’s financial future and if he has to keep publishing books like this indefinitely. Is he expected to receive an inheritance when Charles dies? What happened after Queen Elizabeth’s death? Did Anne, Andrew and Edward receive an inheritance or was their financial futures set up in advance?

Welcome Katariina

I am not sure but I would have thought trust funds etc would have been set up a long time ago.

Then if you're invited to it wouldn't you perhaps oh I don't know Ask and research? This ignorant American excuse is making us all look bad.
Yes! You certainly would especially if you were interested in international relations which was her major, minor, or double major in college.

I agree, imo there will be plenty of interest in the future, there's plenty of interest still in Diana and for many, as long as Charles/Camilla exist, there will be people who want fo read any accusation against them as a revenge for Diana.
Even on these forums there are posters which deflect any negative story about Harry or Diana with a 'But Charles cheated with Camilla' as if that evens everything out.
Harry used the 'his bedroom was bigger than mine' card against William, so there too, will be plenty of memories left to point out how much better William had it.

I fear you are right. I've even come across messages that accept the ludicrous notion that Harry was conceived in case one day William needed a kidney or something.

There's no idea so outrageous that someone won't believe it!

I fear you are right. I've even come across messages that accept the ludicrous notion that Harry was conceived in case one day William needed a kidney or something.

There's no idea so outrageous that someone won't believe it!

People believe that because Harry implied it in the book. One of the more ridiculous passages.

I honestly can't decide.

1. It's all about money, and creating as much controversy as possible because that sells.

2. It's all about spite, because he couldn't get his own way and now he can't make it on to the A list.

3. He is seriously unwell and has got some sort of Messiah complex about freeing the world from Evil Courtiers and the Evil Press, combined with thinking a lock of his late mother's hair has magic powers.
How right you are, especially the Messiah complex ! Drugs can alter your brains.:eek:

I'm starting to think the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist ghost writer, J.R. Moehringer, did a 'paint by numbers' book and the number of inconsistencies hints the miscommunication between his client and the sketch he created for the book.

He even tweeted the following about his client Harry: The line between memory and fact is blurry, between interpretation and fact

Source: Los Angeles Times JAN. 12, 2023
Prince Harry’s ‘Spare’ ghostwriter defends book’s mistakes as it breaks sales records.
I would imagine that Harry talked with the ghostwriter- phone, tapes, whatever. I cannot really see him typing out all of this but I could be wrong…:ermm:

Does Harry address in the Book when the Sussex's came up with the 'Half In-Half Out' Plan ?
I am very curious if he established a timeline for it.

Lots of his bitterness seems to be that it was denied. In its entirety.
Its obvious to anyone that follows them, that they thought it would be approved in some fashion and that they would keep their prestigious Commonwealth Roles and The VIP Security too, taken away it hit Harry's ego hard. Not to mention his wallet.

All Harry really knows IS being a Royal, I don't think in spite of his words that being a Soldier defined him. He "used" it to establish credibility and a separate identity. But it obviously didn't stick.

All their grand plans literally vetoed, and then Covid Lockdowns came. No ability to make big bucks on the talk circuit as he had wanted. I think they ALWAYS thought that they would be in The States too. Rubbing shoulders with A-listers in Politics and Hollywood and being influential on their own. White House visits, and invites to prestigious events like President Obama's BIG 60th Birthday Gala.

But none of that happened. And I think it absolutely eats them up. They arent A-listers or important. No matter the Podcast, or Docu-series they cant break through.
President Biden WENT out of his way to meet William and Kate when both were in Boston last month. That's power, that clout.

That what The Sussex wanted. Reach.
I think they decided soon after the Wedding, they were leaving, Part time Royals on their OWN terms, with the ability to make lots of money and be Global Figures in their own right, not junior members to William and Kate, either.

Deceiving The Family into the lavish Wedding, high profile Tours that they would be certainly fully committed full time members who ACCEPTED their place in the hierarchy.

I think since then The Family realised that they were played for fools, that Harry and Meghan were just biding their time to build up a public profile and then shockingly lied about false bullying and racism that forced them to leave.....finding their freedom BS..... when the Queen said No, you are in or you are out.

And now their success depends on one thing, trashing and demeaning The Royal Family and yes, The Institution of Monarchy. Selling their grievances to the highest bidder.
They are pathetic.
IMHO you have written a really great synopsis of what I think happened as well - thanks!?

Why didn't Harry explain it to her? He keeps going on about what a difficult time his mother had. If an earl's daughter found it difficult to adapt, someone who wasn't even from the UK was bound to find it difficult. So why didn't he explain things and prepare her?

I don't think it's a big deal that he's not religious. The 2021 census showed that fewer than 50% of people in England and Wales identify as Christian. The monarch and direct heirs have to be seen to be "religious" because of the monarch being Supreme Governor of the C of E, but I don't think anyone's that bothered if minor royals are religious or not.
But should that not affect him in the LOS? :ermm:

But should that not affect him in the LOS? :ermm:

No; he's baptized and confirmed an Anglican and more importantly he's not a Catholic, which is the only religious point you can lose your place over. There's nothing else legally or constitutionally applicable.

I don’t think the son of the King of England could be considered a minor royal. He’s a non-working royal, which is a very different thing, but anyway off topic!

The line of Succession doesn’t care whether people are deeply religious or hardly ever go to Church. Both William and Harry were baptised and later confirmed in the Church of England and that’s all that matters. Neither of them were or are regular church goers.

Harry has given another interview. This time to The Telegraph. In the interview, he says he left out a lot of stuff about his dad and his brother and has enough material for a second book. Claims he’s doing this for the Wales children and also demanded his family apologize to Meghan

Source

Oh, how nice of him to think about his niece's and nephew's future. What if he save his concern for his own children. I don't remember ever seeing photo of Charlotte or Louis having a bath, but I've seen one of Archie (despite not watching the documentary). The Waleses' children also won't need to worry that their highschool classmates know the details of their father's genitalia recounted in their father's own voice, while I can't say the same for Archie and Lili.

I know for some of posters here it's not a big deal, but that because we see it from us as and adult POV, not from a teenager POV. Because if it's really okay, if you have a teenage children or grandchildren then what if you tell their classmates (in front of them) about your genitalia or the detail of how you lost your virginity and while you doing it, show them the baby photo of your (grand)children having a bath. Or better yet, post all of it on social media. I doubt your teenage (grand)children would appreciate it.

As for the blackmail part. Well, this is not the first. I recall, just after Oprah interview, several of friends (Gayle King for one) spoke to the media that they (she) have the "receipts". Then was it The Cut or Variety interview where she said that she never signed any NDA (despite insinuating of being silenced during Oprah interview)? And now this. Well, perhaps third time the charm.

Thanks to everyone for such good insights.

My uppermost thought regarding the book -- after reading everything here and in the papers -- is: What is going on if the esteemed ghostwriter has to admit that the memoir is full of untruths? Do ghostwriters fact-check? Do publishers?

Another thing that occurs to me is that this book, one of the few Royalty books I will not purchase, sets in stone a cold war between Harry and his family. I think his situation regarding the Coronation invite will be left to the last minute so theoretically he has to squirm for a few months. The King might be hoping that we have a fallow post-book period where all is quiet in Montecito, followed by a private springtime olive branch .....

... not with these two. By now, they are addicted to white-hot fame. That is the Sussex reality. Big money, big spotlights, standing on stages with microphones, clad in expensive couture, heads held high as they are shepherded into armored SUVs by burly bodyguards. There is no way this couple can lay low. They thrive on attention.

So no coronation invite. Harry's attacks on Queen Camilla pretty much cemented that, but a few months of reparations might have softened the situation. The Sussexes can't keep their traps shut, and consequently, the doors of the Abbey will be shut to them. 1821 all over again.

Another observation:

Harry's book details situations where Meghan's familiarity is not well-received by William and Catherine. The lip gloss borrowing, the forced hugs, the bare feet ... (and mind, her bare feet were an issue that she made a big thing about in the Reitman's fashion advertising shoots. Tom Bower stated in his Revenge book that Meghan demanded her toes were retouched in the fashion photos. If her toes are so gross they have to be retouched in pictures, why subject others to their hideousness?)

I had a boss who asserted her superiority in this manner. The overshare is a power move that can be traced back hundreds of years. It's humiliating.

Last edited:
Really, it's in the book? Wow, Harry really is paranoid and again pretty foolish, siblings are sometimes a possibility but no guarantee.

Yes, and Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Princess Anne, The Wessex, W&K's children, the British ministers and senior civil servants, Brexit, the press, named courtiers and named persons in the countries he has visited, other royal families, his friends and their spouses, more about the British public, British politics... - there are plenty of topics where he can write about him and/or Meghan being slighted or where he can share his wisdom or can give his frank opinion, depending on how he choose to remember them.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that he could write about US politicians, from presidents down as well a US celebs in general, not to mention US politics - We have already had a foretaste of that vis a vis H&M's remarks about the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.
And then we have religion.

There is plenty of material! :D

Of course there is.
After all Harry did not touch the really HOT taboos.
He could have talked about Andrew for example and especially in the US people are very much interested in this.
But he is very much still "in line" (correct expression?. Did US media pick up on this? Harry could be called everything from coward to accomplice!
And especially him who tells" silence is betrayal" what about Guiffre.

Or the speculations about HM's illness.

But I do not want to absolve him from all the trouble he is causing, just saying it's interesting how he is hiding the really important things away.
Guess he has been kept away from a lot of important stuff as the palace know well he can't be trusted (if for drugs, his low intelligence,jealousy, childishness or whatever)
and if course making this a threat for more to come (againchildish&criminal).

Can the British Parliament - on their own - strip Harry of his royal status, should he go too far?

Theoretically, yes. However, with the cost of living crisis, the war in Ukraine, the pressure on the health service due to Covid and flu, and everything else that's going on, using up parliamentary time on Harry wouldn't go down too well - even though polls show that a majority of people do want him stripped of his titles.

They would have to have Charles' approval to take away the title of Prince and HRH... and I dont think that Charles would want to do this anyway. He may be at his wits end but I dont think he will do that.

Of course there is.
He could have talked about Andrew for example and especially in the US people are very much interested in this.

Why do people say this? Harry knows nothing about the Andrew's sex life that the public doesn't. Do people think Harry was hiding behind a houseplant when Andrew was allegedly having sex? Or that Andrew confided his peccadillos to Harry? ?

Of course there is.

Why do people say this? Harry knows nothing about the Andrew's sex life that the public doesn't. Do people think Harry was hiding behind a houseplant when Andrew was allegedly having sex? Or that Andrew confided his peccadillos to Harry? ?

I doubt if Harry was close at all to Andrew, still I think when Harry runs out of people to dish the dirt on, that wont stop him from making out that Andrew, too was cruel to him in some way.

In this review it is referenced that Harry started properly engaging with therapy (as he stated elsewhere) after Meghan threatened to leave him. Can someone who has read the book tell us a little morre about that 'row' that led to this thread and what else transpired?

How can you know and would it make any difference to Harry if he was behind the plant?
He wasn't in the tunnel and talks about it......

It was himself who said there is a lot more.

That won't prevent Harry from voicing his views, me suspects. :D

In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he lectured on bullying. :whistling:

He clearly does not see that the examples he described in the book was bullying and what he is doing to his family right now, is bullying. Not only that, he is basically threatening to continue bullying his family if they don't do as he says - and love him as well. But if you challenged him he would deny that and of course claim that he is the one being bullied.
His perception of reality is certainly flawed.
Whether that is due to his state of mind having deteriorated/been distorted in some way or whether the flaw has always been there is an open question.

But the BRF tactic by not responding at all is paying off. It hurts them on a personal level, no doubt. But the overall damage is relatively limited, not least because Harry, no doubt unwittingly, have managed to describe his family in a way that is mostly positive.
And the more he is ignored, the more shrill he becomes and the less credible his claims are.

So while Harry can still, and almost certainly will, cause a lot of embarrassment for a lot of people, including the UK as a whole, the actual damage will be relatively limited.
I should be very surprised if there is not a Spare II in the works.

At some point he will also focus on controversial domestic issues in USA, whether he is goaded or otherwise. I don't think that will endear him much among the people in general, nor among politicians. So the sympathy for Harry in high places will IMO no doubt wear even thinner.

Now, what is the US legislation?
Harry can obviously support himself. Vis a vis his fortune.
He may also have a kind of job, as an author, giving speeches and lectures which provide an income. Which means that he is supposed to pay taxes, right?
He is also married to an American citizen.
But as I understand things, he does not have a work-visa.
His residence permit is, I assume, based on his wife being a US citizen.
I also presume Harry is getting protection by USA because he is a VIP?
- So is there a risk of Harry being deported from USA, if he gets too annoying?
In short: What is Harry's current status in regards to the US legislation about foreigners?

(That without touching the possibility of Meghan realizing that he is becoming too unhinged and leaves him. That is after all still only a hypothetical scenario.)

Last edited:
Harry is not getting protection from the US, he has his own security and lives in a safe area in California. what would he be deported for? Being a tiresome idiot is not grounds for deportation and I assume that he's been working towards getting citizenship as he's been there for over 2 years.

The Guardian says there’s a poem written by Meghan that made them roll their eyes. I thought it would be the heart going thump-thump poem but a quick google search shows it is this:

https://www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-love-poem-meghan-markle-bed-spare-book-1773264

Wow, Meghan sure has his number. She knows how to take his insecurities about his mother and his status and milk it.

On the Times article, a meeting with Harry sounds like a bad idea right now to me. He just threatened a second book, surely any conversation directly with Charles and William is at risk of exposure. In time, there may be reconciliation, that would be nice. But, the coronation is less than four months away and Harry does not seem to be in a place where he can keep his word to be discreet. Also it would be mighty strange for the public to have read all of this mudslinging and then have the image of Harry (and Meghan, I presume) sitting with the family as if all was well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom