"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think doing this is such a mistake. It will sell- I know I will buy it just to see what he has to say- but then I think that’s it. There won’t be much more content for him to sell.

I hope he at least has the sense not to be on the attack the entire time and to leave the door to his family open a crack for himself and his children.

The most painful part would be the audiobook because it's his voice verbalizing his feelings. And even if he records the lines over and over the editor will select the ones where his voice might crack or become sad and add them in to the recording.

That's why whatever happens I don't put 100% of the weight on Prince Harry. There's a lot of marketing involved behind doors, closed even to him, to make this book produce a return that justifies the money the publishers invested on him. That includes his book tours and any cost associated with it from transportation, meals, hotel stays, bodyguards, etc. The book company pays for it and expects a return in sales back.

And that said, before I leave for the day, this was his choice too. If he makes the mistake to tell in any interview the title was not his choice and blame publishers, it will be bad PR for him. You don't throw people under the bus because they will drag you in with them, too.

This was his choice to make. :ermm:

Last edited:
Interesting to see the [.....] ramping up before anyone has a clue about the book's content.

Being indignant about a crime that has not yet been committed is as irrational as announcing the jury's verdict before the trial starts.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I value your comment, but it also made me :lol: a bit on the bile-fest ramping up line. I hope i didn't offend you with my frankness and if so, that was not the intention. :flowers:

We just posted three general messages and I focused on the choice of the word Spare for the title. What I know at a personal and professional level on what goes on behind doors when producing a message, book or production of any other type to be marketed is factored in on my comment. That's why I'm not placing all the weight on Harry for this choice of title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Harry as a young man of enormous privilege, but one who still had an extremely rocky upbringing. His parents' exceptionally messy divorce and all the public baggage that came with that at such a young age. Then losing his mother when still at an age when he needed her and gaining a stepmother who featured so prominently in his parents' troubled relationship. There was bound to be some resentment.

Don't misunderstand me. He's far luckier in situation and wealth than the majority of people in the world, but as a fellow human being I understand his hurt.

I genuinely think this ill-advised book is a result of the influence he surrounds himself with now (and, no, I'm not just talking about Meghan) and possibly not a decision he would have made on his own. People are obviously fluffing and flattering him and have convinced him that it's a smart thing to air out his dirty laundry to garner more sympathy.

However, after seeing him at QEII's funeral, to me he seemed genuinely lost and distressed over his limited participation and loss of honors, and not just because of his lesser rank, but more because I think it may have finally driven home just how large a wedge he's driven in between his family and himself. Perhaps this book would not have happened if he'd attended the funeral before the contracts were signed.

The money will be earned and quickly spent and then there will be nothing left but the regret and the knowledge that it makes it just that much harder to reconcile with his father and brother. It's very sad.

I worry about Harry - for so many reasons. But currently as he does seem preoccupied with his identity linked to his occupation. And yes - many people do this. You are a bank clerk or bus driver and that is your identity.
But mostly people grow or move out of that. Does Harry have an identity outside of prince and officer - Meghan might have provided the identity of husband and father but well - that can change as well. Does this man have any idea who he is? sorry for the ramble.

A journalist ask the Earl of Wessex about the recent removal of the titles in the Danish throne. His reply didn't even get a mention in the press, because I don't think the journalist understood it, or maybe it was not the answer the journalist was looking for. When asked if Joachim was right to be anger about his children losing the HRH and titles - Edward noted, People are more then their styles and titles. I know whom I am without them. If they were gone - I will still be the same person.
I feel exactly the same way and the title of the book unfortunately has not relieved my concerns for him. This doesn't seem to be a man who is content nor likely to be so in the coming years. I sincerely hope to be proved otherwise.

I was expecting something basic, like “Harry - my story”. The title does rather suggest a lot of bitterness. Charles and William really tried to hold out olive branches when the Queen died, and I hope Harry isn’t just going to push them even further away with this book.

Amazon and Waterstones both often discount new hardbacks by half price, and we'll be into the January sales by then so books will be going cheap anyway.

Last edited:
I know it's easy to jump to the worst conclusions about the title but my mind can't help thinking there's more than one meaning to the word. Like "stark, few details".

It may very well be the bitterest of tell-alls, but we just don't know yet.

A journalist ask the Earl of Wessex about the recent removal of the titles in the Danish throne. His reply didn't even get a mention in the press, because I don't think the journalist understood it, or maybe it was not the answer the journalist was looking for. When asked if Joachim was right to be anger about his children losing the HRH and titles - Edward noted, People are more then their styles and titles. I know whom I am without them. If they were gone - I will still be the same person.

Do you have a link or source for this? Would like to read what Edward said, thank you :flowers:

Yes, the title tells me all I need to know. I'll pass.

My guess is the title is specifically for Book#1 of the three part deal.
Title#2 could be “H”
Title#3 could be “Dad”

From the Prince he was born, to the man he became…

This is my opinion….the Wedge was driven between Prince Harry and his family, the Firm, since birth. He was the Spare and he was reminded of it often. The Spare, as a name for Harry, was used more often (IMO) after his mothers death by the not just the Firm but Staff and Friends too. What if Diana had lived? This may not have been a big of issue. She would have helped Prince Harry through this. Charles was not around very much, not just media reports, but William and Harry has said this also. Not a big help from dear old dad. Not only did Harry have to deal with being the Spare, he had to deal with the rumor of him not being Charles son. Sure he does not look like Charles, nor Diana, nor William but look at Phillip in his younger years as well as other Royal relatives….Prince Harry looks like them. Even a bit of Charles Spencer when he was younger. I am sure Charles had a DNA test done on Prince Harry when he was younger not realizing it was being done. Just to make sure. We will never know. As time went on, Prince Harry found a place for himself in the military. He wanted to make it a career, but was called home by the Firm. The Firm wanted him home but yet it was let known by Charles it would be a slimmed down Firm. Probably remarks were made behind the doors, that there was no place for Harry really. What if the Firm had left Harry alone to make the military a career, things may have been a lot different….no more the Spare behind his brother but a Military Career Man, but then Harry could not be let to “out shine” his brother, William, who could not have a military career, as William was the Heir. William had to do as the Firm said. For years there were three people, William, Kate and Harry. Seemed to work well, but then Harry fell in love…..I believe there was some jealousy on the part of W and K that the threesome was gone….now there were four. Harry saw and found some true love. He grabbed it. He had a chance to be his own man and not a Spare, a Puppet, or to be on call IF the Firm asked him to help out. Meghan is not perfect, no one is but she has taken a lot of hits that are not fair. Harry and Meghan both have. So much comes from media who love to add to or eliminate facts from a story. None of us know the truth as we are were not there. The books Prince Harry has written or is writing is his version of what happened. Of course the Firm will deny a lot, they hide a lot..an awful lot. This may be one time a lot of truth will come out. The Firm is not perfect but that’s what they want all to believe. Prince Harry is telling his history. Remember this is my opinion just like you have yours. I will be reading all three books.

This is my opinion….the Wedge was driven between Prince Harry and his family, the Firm, since birth. He was the Spare and he was reminded of it often. The Spare, as a name for Harry, was used more often (IMO) after his mothers death by the not just the Firm but Staff and Friends too. What if Diana had lived? This may not have been a big of issue. She would have helped Prince Harry through this. Charles was not around very much, not just media reports, but William and Harry has said this also. Not a big help from dear old dad. Not only did Harry have to deal with being the Spare, he had to deal with the rumor of him not being Charles son. Sure he does not look like Charles, nor Diana, nor William but look at Phillip in his younger years as well as other Royal relatives….Prince Harry looks like them. Even a bit of Charles Spencer when he was younger. I am sure Charles had a DNA test done on Prince Harry when he was younger not realizing it was being done. Just to make sure. We will never know. As time went on, Prince Harry found a place for himself in the military. He wanted to make it a career, but was called home by the Firm. The Firm wanted him home but yet it was let known by Charles it would be a slimmed down Firm. Probably remarks were made behind the doors, that there was no place for Harry really. What if the Firm had left Harry alone to make the military a career, things may have been a lot different….no more the Spare behind his brother but a Military Career Man, but then Harry could not be let to “out shine” his brother, William, who could not have a military career, as William was the Heir. William had to do as the Firm said. For years there were three people, William, Kate and Harry. Seemed to work well, but then Harry fell in love…..I believe there was some jealousy on the part of W and K that the threesome was gone….now there were four. Harry saw and found some true love. He grabbed it. He had a chance to be his own man and not a Spare, a Puppet, or to be on call IF the Firm asked him to help out. Meghan is not perfect, no one is but she has taken a lot of hits that are not fair. Harry and Meghan both have. So much comes from media who love to add to or eliminate facts from a story. None of us know the truth as we are were not there. The books Prince Harry has written or is writing is his version of what happened. Of course the Firm will deny a lot, they hide a lot..an awful lot. This may be one time a lot of truth will come out. The Firm is not perfect but that’s what they want all to believe. Prince Harry is telling his history. Remember this is my opinion just like you have yours. I will be reading all three books.

Some of this is very ahistorical. Harry didn’t leave the military because his family wanted him to. It was because he didn’t have the academic background to continue to advance and he didn’t want a desk job.

I've worked my whole life in the book buisness and I can't recall such an odd release date ever happening before (unless it's an academic textbook). The beginning of January, when people have no money left after christmas, no money in sight until the end of the month. It's as if they don't really want to sell it. I don't understand.

Normally, biographies and memoirs have their selling peaks in December, if you can't get it out before that, don't bother, wait until spring, around Easter.

I find a lot of suppositions in this post, all bolded. An opinion is formed on facts not suppositions.

As for the three becoming four, no one will know if Will and Kate tried to make Meghan feel welcomed. I hope so.

There are multiple sides to a story, I'd rather read all versions, which we won't get to, than just one person's side.

I've worked my whole life in the book buisness and I can't recall such an odd release date ever happening before (unless it's an academic textbook). The beginning of January, when people have no money left after christmas, no money in sight until the end of the month. It's as if they don't really want to sell it. I don't understand.

Normally, biographies and memoirs have their selling peaks in December, if you can't get it out before that, don't bother, wait until spring, around Easter.

Doesn't it have something to do with it being such a high-demand book that the release date doesn't matter?

That, or it's seen as better not to release it with a glut of competing volumes...

Doesn't it have something to do with it being such a high-demand book that the release date doesn't matter?

That, or it's seen as better not to release it with a glut of competing volumes...

No it's quite the opposite actually. High demand titles sell even better if published in high season.

As for competitors, they've already been published, as I see it, there's no other titel in the same segment, royal gossip, due in the near future. But I may have missed something.

But of course, as you say, an obscure title that's going to fly under the radar anyway could just as well come out in January.

Some of this is very ahistorical. Harry didn’t leave the military because his family wanted him to. It was because he didn’t have the academic background to continue to advance and he didn’t want a desk job.

Absolutely. The days of getting promoted because of who you're related to went a long time ago in the British Army.

The irony is that & I suspect the family would have been very very happy indeed for him to continue in the military. That's one model of a half in half out solution that would most definitely have worked.

Last edited:
The book "Spare"

The Sussexes write books and most of the fans go gaga and the books are a money spinner for The Sussexes, have fun!!

Last edited:

Harry wasn't forced to leave the Army, he didn't want a desk job. It was a surprise to everyone who thought he was going to be in the military as long as Andrew. Instead Harry opted to be a full-time Royal, he did this because he said he had a limited time in the spotlight before his nephew and niece take the spotlight from him. His comment was a disturbing insight into his jealousy and his obsession with fame. A clear indication that a place like Hollywood would appeal to someone with his mindset.

And William did have a military career. He just wasn't allowed to go to battle. But he spent several years in the military and was even stationed overseas. Being a search and rescue pilot is just as honorable as being a gunner.

As for Harry having a chance to tell his story he already does that. He does frequent interviews, also appeared on Dax's podcast complaining about his DNA and the Queen's parenting. He and Meghan contributed to Omid Scobie's book. They did Oprah. Meghan has a weekly podcast, mostly talking about her past. And then are shooting a reality show too. I would say we have been repeatedly shown one side of the story, and that's Harry's side. It's the BRF that's stayed silent and mysterious.

No it's quite the opposite actually. High demand titles sell even better if published in high season.

As for competitors, they've already been published, as I see it, there's no other titel in the same segment, royal gossip, due in the near future. But I may have missed something.

But of course, as you say, an obscure title that's going to fly under the radar anyway could just as well come out in January.

Maybe the Palace chimed in with a quiet word about what would be preferable. They undoubtedly want as much time between book and Coronation as possible, and don't especially want a Christmas bestseller. Maybe this was the soonest it could be released.

Big publication date in the UK, and I presume the USA, is a late Thursday in November some time. November is the big publishing books for Christmas, just as September is a big publishing time especially for award seeking books. Also then June heading to summer reading season.

January is obviously a push back as I presume it was originally meant for the Christmas market and then the Queen died. Spring/summer is no good as it’s the coronation and it couldn’t wait another year…so January it is.

Don’t really care what’s in the book because short of an abuse allegation, these people have been in our lives forever. We all have an opinion on them and it’s unlikely to change. To hear how hard Harry found his life is maybe informative from a subjective point of view but a I never thought his life was great anyway. I vaguely remember the years leading up to Diana’s death. He had a horrible childhood. I don’t think anyone would deny that.

If he is highlighting how he felt number two and hardship of that I may not have much time for it. Nothing Harry has done over the last few years has changed my view that he is volatile, has no pragmatism and is unrealistic. He also seems spoilt and unself aware. But everyone liked him and said how lovely he was. And that too is part of him. We are all a combination of many things.

Last edited:
Harry wasn't forced to leave the Army, he didn't want a desk job. It was a surprise to everyone who thought he was going to be in the military as long as Andrew. Instead Harry opted to be a full-time Royal, he did this because he said he had a limited time in the spotlight before his nephew and niece take the spotlight from him. His comment was a disturbing insight into his jealousy and his obsession with fame. A clear indication that a place like Hollywood would appeal to someone with his mindset.

And William did have a military career. He just wasn't allowed to go to battle. But he spent several years in the military and was even stationed overseas. Being a search and rescue pilot is just as honorable as being a gunner.

As for Harry having a chance to tell his story he already does that. He does frequent interviews, also appeared on Dax's podcast complaining about his DNA and the Queen's parenting. He and Meghan contributed to Omid Scobie's book. They did Oprah. Meghan has a weekly podcast, mostly talking about her past. And then are shooting a reality show too. I would say we have been repeatedly shown one side of the story, and that's Harry's side. It's the BRF that's stayed silent and mysterious.

It’s not in anyone, whose playing a long games, interest to bite back. If this was a divorced couple, with children, and one kept throwing grenades at the other repeatedly. Well the thought process would be the silent parent is thinking of the children. They are thinking of their long term position.

I’m not sure Harry had the academic ability to go further. To be honest I kind of doubted Andrew had either but he most have if he stuck with it.

As far as a potential DNA test on Harry, no need: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/family-resemblances-9974-18.html#post2388840

Since he was apparently the clone of Prince Andreas of Greece at some point.

Agreed, and Harry and Will have the same nose bridge as KCIII's. He just got his looks from another side of the family which is a relief considering the number of royal cousins marrying cousins. For example, look at Harry's cousins the Spanish princesses Leonor and Sofia. They don't look alike and they also do, because each took traits from other ancestors on both sides of their parents' families. Same with Harry and William.

Makes me wonder now if he is going to touch on this subject in that book :ermm:

I find it interesting that Prince Harry did not use his first Christian name of Henry in the title. However, some people are only aware that he is referred to as Harry and not Henry.

I find it interesting that Prince Harry did not use his first Christian name of Henry in the title. However, some people are only aware that he is referred to as Harry and not Henry.

He's never used his legal name of Henry if he doesn't absolutely have to.

Not a thing in the world could convince me Harry would have published this book, with this title and this cover image, with her late majesty The Queen alive. He is giving the impression that he was waiting in the wings with his big reveal until his grandmother died, barely waited for her to be in the grave, and come out with guns blazing.

My first thought on seeing the cover with image and title was that satire has to be a least a tiny bit believable to be funny. It’s not the first time I’ve seen a headline about Harry and (literally) thought it was poorly written comedy only to realize you couldn’t dream this up.

Not a thing in the world could convince me Harry would have published this book, with this title and this cover image, with her late majesty The Queen alive. He is giving the impression that he was waiting in the wings with his big reveal until his grandmother died, barely waited for her to be in the grave, and come out with guns blazing.

My first thought on seeing the cover with image and title was that satire has to be a least a tiny bit believable to be funny. It’s not the first time I’ve seen a headline about Harry and (literally) thought it was poorly written comedy only to realize you couldn’t dream this up.

It’s a rough move from the “no way would they do that” to “of course they would do that” Sussex Camp but once you see it, you can’t unsee it.

The title doesn't appear to be all capitalized; just on the cover.

:previous:

That is great as I do not like things all in capital letters - which online equals shouting. I will change the title of this thread right away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom