"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question, did this statement come from a "named person" or from a "source" similar to one who claimed Harry had the ring and gave it to William (which turns out to be false as Harry denies it in the book)?

come on, how likely is it taht William said this? he knew Im sure that it was tradition that he got a title of DUke when he got married, and Im sure he iddn't complain about it or say he didnt want it.

See here (though there is nothing about 'older people'):

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...sh-styles-and-titles-258-344.html#post2518564

Last edited:
Asteria12, respectfully disagree, I don't think Harry is viewed by fellow celeb comedians as simply "topical"...... I think he had made himself "comical" and fair game to mock. The weird part to me is the "joke" wasn't even funny. Its like Trevor Noah just wanted to have a go at Harry anyway.

Once People lose respect for you, its a hard slog to get it back.

Just think, next year at this time Harry and "Spare" might win the Grammy for Best Audio Book Narration.
Did people in the US have respect for Harry? I think once he left the RF he was on the slippery slide to celebrity and would not get respect unless he serously courted respect, by hard work for charity etc. And he didn't really do that. A lot of the time in the past couple of years he did not seem to be doing anything much, but when he DID come out and give an interview or a podcast he usually said things that made him seem foolish or told fibs or began to destroy his good image of a hard working decent young man. but I agree that this book has made him seem a complete buffoon, changing his story every five mins, being nasty about his family, weird about his mum and so on....

Last edited:
Did people in the uS have respect for Harry? I htink once he left the RF he was on the slippery slide to celebrity and would not get respect unless he serously courted by hard work for charity etc. ANd he didnt really do that. A lot of the time in the past couple of years he did not seem to be doing anything much, but whne he DID come out and give an interview or a podcast he came out with things that made him seem foolish or told fibs or began to destroy his good image of a hard working decent young man. but I agree that this book has made him seem a complete buffoon, changing his story every five mins, being nasty about his family, weird about his mum and so on....

Not respect, but more like fascination, I reckon. He was the fun prince who got to hang out with the L.A. folk. What I think Harry didn't realise was that most of his allure came from the mystery and glitz of the surrounding the BRF. Without the BRF, he is just another rich boy, no different from Beckhams' son.

Also, his image was carefully curated by the Firm around the clock. Without them to keep him in check, I think this is the first time we are seeing the real Harry.

Not respect, but more like fascination, I reckon. He was the fun prince who got to hang out with the L.A. folk. What I think Harry didn't realise was that most of his allure came from the mystery and glitz of the surrounding the BRF. Without the BRF, he is just another rich boy, no different from Beckhams' son.

Also, his image was carefully curated by the Firm around the clock. Without them to keep him in check, I think this is the first time we are seeing the real Harry.
Agree. I think that Harry's reality is a foolish and often nasty person, and without the RF handlers to control his image, and with his own desire to make money, it is all coming out. ANd poeple may watch in amusement, but not many admire or respect him.

Denville, as an American I can tell you that Harry was very popular and respected here, especially after Invictus rolled out. The perception was that he was a happy go lucky guy, not standing on ceremony personality. A great guy to have a beer with type. But someone of purpose too.

Veterans causes like our Wounded Warrior, your Invictus Program intermingled got great Press. The most eligible bachelor in the world, a rich handsome Prince.
Harry was embraced by both Obamas. Who didn't love the Invictus video promo with Harry, The Queen and The Obama's from 2016 too !

He was coming into his own. A force for good in his own right. Stepping up into 'full time' Royal role too, after leaving The Army.
Who didn't enjoy seeing William, Kate and Harry working together ? On BOTH sides of the Atlantic he was celebrated.

But as we NOW KNOW from Spare, it was mostly spin. He himself laid it ALL out. His Palace PR team was fantastic at marketing Harry.
It was a facade.

He was plagued by ALOT. The book just reeks about his insecurities. Still waiting to find out about "the man he has become", as I have yet to see it.
Consumed by bitter sibling rivalry, jealous of his brother's rank in the Family and that he Harry, would be 'aced out' by his own nephew in a few years time. Become irrelevant. Bitterly and bizarrely telling in his book that he was only born in case William needed an organ or transfusion ! The worst part is that is not true. I believe that HAD Harry stayed in the fold, under Palace guidance, he would have remained hugely popular.

Then Meghan, then Megxit. Then Oprah.

People here *mostly* gave The Sussex's the benefit of the doubt, BUT doubts were creeping in. Us Royal watchers saw the dangers during The Megxit-Sandringham negotiations, but the the vast majority were oblivious.
Then the continued allegations and attacks KEPT Coming, as Prince Philip lay dying and the disrespect by them was undeniable. The Sussex's were starting to be seen by many here as just profiting off of The Royal Family shamelessly and the tide turned. And continues too.

"Spare" has not presented Harry as a stable contented Man. That I can assure you. Spiteful, petty and score settling "tell allls" against the most famous family in the world SELL, but as for reputation enhancing ? No. Just the opposite.

It has only gotten worse since their petulant behavior at the Jubilee and then The Queens shocking death too.

Last edited:
well as I've said, I think he was slipping down in the respect he got, from the end of his royal life, esp when he started with the Oprah interview. He was pretty well liked in the UK too before his gradual going away from the RF and royal duties, but he wasn't adored. Admired, yes and liked etc but the UK population doesn't usually go mad for royals, except for a time when Diana was so popular. but my point was that once he left royal life, he went on a downward spiral and bit by bit, I think he lost both liking and respect in the US as well as in the UK. In short, the decline in respect started well before the book came out.
But I agree that the book really does prove that 90% of Harry's niceness and his working at good causes and being a nice guy was false, it was largely cooked up by the Palace PR bods.
I wasn't really a fan by the time he married Meghan, i felt there was something wrong, and I felt she was very fake, but i envisaged that if she got fed up with royal life, she would go back ot the US and they'd divorce.. not that he would go with her and turn to being nasty bout his family to make a living.

Last edited:
Denville, as an American I can tell you that Harry was very popular and respected here, especially after Invictus rolled out. The perception was that he was a happy go lucky guy, not standing on ceremony personality. A great guy to have a beer with type. But someone of purpose too.

Veterans causes like our Wounded Warrior, your Invictus Program intermingled got great Press. The most eligible bachelor in the world, a rich handsome Prince.
Harry was embraced by both Obamas. Who didn't love the Invictus video promo with Harry, The Queen and The Obama's from 2016 too !

He was coming into his own. A force for good in his own right. Stepping up into 'full time' Royal role too, after leaving The Army.
Who didn't enjoy seeing William, Kate and Harry working together ? On BOTH sides of the Atlantic he was celebrated.

But as we NOW KNOW from Spare, it was mostly spin. He himself laid it ALL out. His Palace PR team was fantastic at marketing Harry.
It was a facade.

He was plagued by ALOT. The book just reeks about his insecurities. Still waiting to find out about "the man he has become", as I have yet to see it.
Consumed by bitter sibling rivalry, jealous of his brother's rank in the Family and that he Harry, would be 'aced out' by his own nephew in a few years time. Become irrelevant. Bitterly and bizarrely telling in his book that he was only born in case William needed an organ or transfusion ! The worst part is that is not true. I believe that HAD Harry stayed in the fold, under Palace guidance, he would have remained hugely popular.

People here *mostly* gave The Sussex's the benefit of the doubt, BUT doubts were creeping in. Us Royal watchers saw the dangers during The Megxit-Sandringham negotiations, but the the vast majority were oblivious.
Then the continued allegations and attacks KEPT Coming, as Prince Philip lay dying and the disrespect by them was undeniable. The Sussex's were starting to be seen by many here as just profiting off of The Royal Family shamelessly and the tide turned. And continues too.

"Spare" has not presented Harry as a stable contented Man. That I can assure you. Spiteful, petty and score settling "tell allls" against the most famous family in the world SELL, but as for reputation enhancing ? No. Just the opposite.

It has only gotten worse since their petulant behavior at the Jubilee and then The Queens shocking death too.

I wholeheartedly agree that this sums up how many Americans likely viewed Prince Harry over the years.

He was very popular in the UK too, with his cheeky chappie image and charity work. Things like the Nazi uniform were long forgiven. Now he's incredibly *un* popular. All his own doing.

I think people are making too much of a fuss about this, he should have told Sasha, but he didnt. but he might have made out she was an older woman because he was trying to conceal her identity. I dont suppose H is trying to say that all couples have to be exactly the same age.
I agree that he should have told her. From the quote I read, she said that friends in their “horsey group” were blowing up her phone about it and she wanted to have control of the narrative.

I also agree that it’s not a big deal that it happened, it was consensual , but he gave enough details that people were able to figure out her identity which is an invasion of HER privacy - something Harry goes on and on about. What a double standard! ?

Even if he wanted it to sound more salacious with an “older woman” he could have left out the personal details . Perhaps he thought he sounded clever with the “stallion” and hitting his bum due to the riding lingo. Hmm, NO. :nonono:

Asteria12, respectfully disagree, I don't think Harry is viewed by fellow celeb comedians as simply "topical"...... I think he had made himself "comical" and fair game to mock. The weird part to me is the "joke" wasn't even funny. Its like Trevor Noah just wanted to have a go at Harry anyway.

I'm actually surprised Saturday Night Live didn't have a go at him and his "todger". Man, those frostbitten skits could write themselves. But then SNL is a shell of itself now comedy wise too.

And as for Sasha, I think She handled her privacy been violated with grace. Very well done. I mostly hope, that She got a nice check for telling her side too, by the Media. Making lemonade out of lemons.
Can you imagine how absolutely apocalyptic Harry would have been had Sasha sold this " tale" to the Media, say around the time of the Wedding ?

Just think, next year at this time Harry and "Spare" might win the Grammy for Best Audio Book Narration.
Yes, I thought That Trevor Noah was actually getting a dig in at James Corden as well - remember the “bus interview” with tea? It is all over the US that Harry (Prince not Styles) was mocked on the Grammys.

It was a facade.

As an American, I agree with you 100%! Honestly, I am still shocked that he fooled so many of us - what a great spin team! I really thought he was sincere about his charity work. While IMO Harry and Meghan bring out the worse in each other, I think Harry saw a way to escape his “gilded cage.” While I used to think this whole mess was Meghan’s doing, I now think that their relationship enabled him to show his true colors. Terribly sad how he/they have destroyed so much of their family of origin and extended family relationships.:sad:

As an American, I agree with you 100%! Honestly, I am still shocked that he fooled so many of us - what a great spin team! I really thought he was sincere about his charity work. While IMO Harry and Meghan bring out the worse in each other, I think Harry saw a way to escape his “gilded cage.” While I used to think this whole mess was Meghan’s doing, I now think that their relationship enabled him to show his true colors. Terribly sad how he/they have destroyed so much of their family of origin and extended family relationships.:sad:

I have to agree. I really used to believe that this was all at Meghan's instigation because it all so suddenly happened after her appearance on the scene and because I said from the moment of her first "introduction" to us through the "Wild About Harry" cover that this was not going to be good. There were so many red flags there in both of their behaviors that it should have been obvious that these were two people feeding off each others energy but at the time I didn't see that so much as seeing Harry infatuated and desperately trying to hang onto a relationship and keep that person happy however he could. But it's become crystal clear that Harry played just as large a role in this as Meghan. I would have to agree that they absolutely bring out the worst in each other and fuel each other's worst impulses. It's terribly sad that they've destroyed so many relationships and that they appear to believe that they hold no responsibility at all for that but that it's all everyone else's fault. In general a healthy marital relationship, while supportive, is also able to help tame and temper one's worst impulses or tempers or irritations rather than fuel them. It's become very, very clear that these two feed off of each other and far from tempering the others behaviors, they fuel them.

I'm actually surprised Saturday Night Live didn't have a go at him and his "todger". Man, those frostbitten skits could write themselves. But then SNL is a shell of itself now comedy wise too.

And as for Sasha, I think She handled her privacy been violated with grace. Very well done. I mostly hope, that She got a nice check for telling her side too, by the Media. Making lemonade out of lemons.
Can you imagine how absolutely apocalyptic Harry would have been had Sasha sold this " tale" to the Media, say around the time of the Wedding ?

I agree with you! :flowers:

Irony doesn't translate too well on a forum, but I was wryly quipping about how Harry "made" himself topical. I should have just said he'd made himself the peach-fuzz butt of jokes!:whistling:

He mentions in the book that he has no interest on his family's history, past kings and such. If he has no interest in his ancestors, why would he put any mind to the history of furniture?

How is it possible that Harry has no interest in his family's ancestry and family history?

How is it possible that Harry has no interest in his family's ancestry and family history?

Some people don't. Especially if you're constantly surrounded by it and it's just your mundane atmosphere, it would seem easy to tune it out, especially if you're not that interested and feel you're just there as the "spare part".

It's hardly Harry. Charles is apparently the only person in the family (aside from maybe now Kate) who was at all interested that they own things by Leonardo.

Right! I legitimately think that he doesn't understand that people are interested in him because of his family.

We don’t know that William has a huge knowledge of the provenance of the paintings, furniture and artefacts in the apartments of the Royal Palaces at all. It’s never been remarked by any media that he has a great interest in the design or history of furniture or art. Prince Charles, yes, Queen Mary almost certainly, Kate perhaps, but we don’t know about William.

And I believe it was Sir Roy Strong who observed that the Queen and Prince Philip at least had little knowledge of the history of paintings hanging on Palace walls.

William studied Art History at Eton and during his first year of university. His future overall custodial role regarding the Royal Collection combined with his wife Catherine's art education make it unlikely he would be as naive as Harry presents himself to be regarding Royal Collection items.

I got the sense, reading "Spare", that Harry was encouraged to contrast the luxurious homes of other royals with his modest quarters -- the "badger sett" at KP then Nottingham Cottage. The Royal Collection input regarding Frogmore Cottage is conspicuously absent.

There was a time when the philistine sensibilities of the BRF ... indeed, many world leaders, were looked upon with fondness by their subjects and citizens. When FDR was asked what his favorite song was, at the height of the Big Band Era, he said, "Home on the Range". He was more sophisticated than that, but he knew his country.

The late Queen did, too. And so does her son. Harry's ignorance, real or pretend, has no place in a BRF for the 21st century.

Let's stick to discussing the book, and not get sidetracked on to off topic discussion of other members of the royal family. Further posts along those lines will also be deleted.

Bea and Eugenie have both expressed interest and knowledge of family art, furniture and history (on TV and in print) and both have been given projects by HM to do with that. But to me it doesn't matter if William anyone else may or may not know more than Harry, it's that Harry expresses ignorance on practically every topic to do with his family being royal that is baffling. Okay fine he and some others may not think too closely about furniture and artwork they see as normal and grew up with but there's a lot "surely that must have come up?!". Including asking for permission to get married which his brother and cousins did within the last decade or the times when he's astonished that his grandmother reacts as Queen when he's on camera previously talking about how she sometimes *has* to be Queen first and making appointments to talk.

So some of it I think is being disingenuous there because multiple reporters made it quite clear that when William was made Aide de Camp to HM Harry knew exactly what that was and demanded to also be made one (which he was). Unless that falls under his list of keeping track of every petty thing that William got and he didn't that he seems to have instant recall of - including an extra sausage at breakfast!

Last edited:
William was made ADC to the Queen in Nov 2013. If Harry demanded the same, and there’s no evidence he did so immediately, then it wasn’t granted, as he became an ADC at the time of his marriage, though he had entered the Guards regiment earlier than his brother.

William was made ADC to the Queen in Nov 2013. If Harry demanded the same, and there’s no evidence he did so immediately, then it wasn’t granted, as he became an ADC at the time of his marriage, though he had entered the Guards regiment earlier than his brother.

I’m not sure being made ADC has anything to do with seniority in the army. It’s not exactly on merit that any of the brothers had it.

There’s no evidence that Harry demanded that his grandmother make him an ADC at the time his brother was made one, or at any other time.

A Story about Harry considering hosting a late night comedy show to promote the book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ussions-host-SNL-talks-stalled-11th-hour.html

I know, The Fail etc, but given their litigation history with said couple, the chances are that the paper got it right.
Saturday Night Live isn't "a" comedy show it's "the" comedy show. If he had made a success of hosting SNL he would have turned all the negativity surrounding Megxit around and become the darling of American media in only an hour. It's a very influential and historical comedy show that has both created and destroyed many careers in it's almost 50 year history.

Harry has little interest in anything apart from his own pursuits. He doesn't have to be an expert but its clear that for him being royal means being rich and able to do what he likes provided he doesnt' get found out.

But it's become crystal clear that Harry played just as large a role in this as Meghan. I would have to agree that they absolutely bring out the worst in each other and fuel each other's worst impulses. It's terribly sad that they've destroyed so many relationships and that they appear to believe that they hold no responsibility at all for that but that it's all everyone else's fault. In general a healthy marital relationship, while supportive, is also able to help tame and temper one's worst impulses or tempers or irritations rather than fuel them. It's become very, very clear that these two feed off of each other and far from tempering the others behaviors, they fuel them.
I suppose one doesn't want to beleive that ones impression of H, or any royal is so wrong. I sort of thought Meghan was not a good idea and when H started to act more oddly, I thought she was encouraging him. but to say that Harry was always awful, is probably a lot closer to the truth..
what is kind of sad I suppose is that he doesnt realise it, doesn't seem to see how he has chucked away the goodwill that he had in the UK and in America.

Bea and Eugenie have both expressed interest and knowledge of family art, furniture and history (on TV and in print) and both have been given projects by HM to do with that. But to be it doesn't matter if William anyone else may or may not know more than Harry, it's that Harry expresses ignorance on practically every topic to do with his family being royal that is baffling. Okay fine he and some others may not think too closely about furniture and artwork they see as normal and grew up with but there's a lot "surely that must have come up?!".

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/how-the-royals-did-in-their-a-levels

The above article in Tatler details education levels and interests of the royal family. As pointed out Harry was/is not an academic. His focus has been sports and military. Harry's book is maybe reflecting these differences.

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/how-the-royals-did-in-their-a-levels

The above article in Tatler details education levels and interests of the royal family. As pointed out Harry was/is not an academic. His focus has been sports and military. Harry's book is maybe reflecting these differences.

Harry's publisher were not going to pay him millions for a book about art work in the RF or anything anodyne. He was expected to tell something about his private life and to reveal things about the RF's darker side.

I have to agree. I really used to believe that this was all at Meghan's instigation because it all so suddenly happened after her appearance on the scene and because I said from the moment of her first "introduction" to us through the "Wild About Harry" cover that this was not going to be good.

I agree too. Women do tend to get the blame for their husbands' actions - Yoko Ono, Marie Antoinette, Alexandra Feodorovna, Henrietta Maria, etc - but it did seem that Harry had changed completely since Meghan appeared on the scene. But it's clear from this book that Harry was a very angry and bitter man long before he met Meghan. I'd love to know what Chelsy and Cressida made of it all during his relationships with them. He seemed so happy when he was with Chelsy, but who knows?

I dont think it was Meghan. I think she helped him, in that she knew the showbiz world and could help him to get into it.. but Harry was an angry unpleasant mess IMO before she came along. Was he happy with the other women? Did they overlook his faults because they loved him? I cant help feeling that for the RF, there was a nervous feeling all the time about Harry, at least for several years, that he might just explode one day, and do something that would really look bad, and could not easily be covered up. so I suspect the staff had to work hard on trying to keep some control of his drug use and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom