Spanish Royal Jewels: Suggested changes and additions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably the 6 main tiaras will remain in the hands of Felipe, so Leonor will have enough tiaras.

I presume you mean the La Buena, the Loop Tiara, the Cartier Diamond & Pearl, the Wave / Shell, the Floral and the Prussian.

There is also the tiara Felipe bought for Letizia, which she has worn just once publicly in Denmark for Daisy's 75th birthday dinner.

I suspect the rubies will be split between Critina and Elena.

I

I suspect the rubies will be split between Critina and Elena.

I most certainly hope the rubies stay in the main line.
I doubt we'll see Letizia wearing them like most other pieces but hopefully Leonor will appreciate the queen's jewellery collection and wear them with pride.

I believe Christina and Elena are due to inherit a healthy fortune from their father that King Felipe VI has denounced. If that is the case I can see physical things like the ruby parure staying in the main line.

I think the floral tiara and the Prussian tiara will continue in the main line and join the pass-through jewelry.

I believe Christina and Elena are due to inherit a healthy fortune from their father that King Felipe VI has denounced. If that is the case I can see physical things like the ruby parure staying in the main line.

I hope that is indeed the case, and the jewellery largely stays in the main line.

I hope that is indeed the case, and the jewellery largely stays in the main line.

VF / Irene could always ask their uncle to borrow a tiara for their weddings, there is no reason to keep significant jewellery with Elena or Cristina.
But in the end it will be about money, as always.

If there are one royal house that does not need to grow their collection, it is the Spanish royal house. Why? Because they have almost zero tiara events. Do they really have anyone other than state visits? And with so few events, they have more than enough. It will be interesting to see what Queen Sofia will leave to the mainline of her big demi-parure and accessoire collection. King Juan Carlos also tried to buy the aquamarine tiara and jewels but it was declined. Instead of buying back stuff, if I were them I would buy some coloured stones like emeralds and place in the pearl/emerald tiara from Victoria Eugenia or why not use some of the rubies from the Niarchos parure.

If there are one royal house that does not need to grow their collection, it is the Spanish royal house. Why? Because they have almost zero tiara events. Do they really have anyone other than state visits? And with so few events, they have more than enough. It will be interesting to see what Queen Sofia will leave to the mainline of her big demi-parure and accessoire collection. King Juan Carlos also tried to buy the aquamarine tiara and jewels but it was declined. Instead of buying back stuff, if I were them I would buy some coloured stones like emeralds and place in the pearl/emerald tiara from Victoria Eugenia or why not use some of the rubies from the Niarchos parure.

It's true that they have few tiara events. In addition to state visits, they only have royal weddings or when they go to events held by other monarchies. But even so, I believe that all tiaras will remain in the main line.

It will be interesting to see what Queen Sofia will leave to the mainline of her big demi-parure and accessoire collection.

I always wonmdered about the many demi Parures of Queen Sofia. Are they private Property. I think many of them have been gifts at official visits and State Visits so could it be that the are state owned like it is now in the UK. Or how is this handled in Spain.

I always wonmdered about the many demi Parures of Queen Sofia. Are they private Property. I think many of them have been gifts at official visits and State Visits so could it be that the are state owned like it is now in the UK. Or how is this handled in Spain.

I suspect the ownership of those demi-parures is a grey area. Were they received as official gifts in Sofia's role as Crown Princess or Queen of Spain, or in her personal capacity? I suspect Spain did not have a clear policy on the matter at the time the gifts may have been received.

I appreciate Spain does not have many white tie events outside of state banquets, but I would much rather the tiaras are used for those few events than end up with the Elena and Chritina, and then end up being sold in the not too distant future.

If Victoria Federica or Irene will marry do you think that they will wear tiaras? Or the brides of Froilan, Juan, Pablo or Miguel?

If Victoria Federica or Irene will marry do you think that they will wear tiaras? Or the brides of Froilan, Juan, Pablo or Miguel?

It will be a personal choice for the bride.

I imagine Victoria Frederica may want to wear the tiara of her paternal family. It was used by her mother and by her Marichalar cousins as well.

I would think so. The daughter-in-laws of Infanta Pilar wore a tiara. At last those who had a Wedding Ceremony with Press present.

I imagine Victoria Frederica may want to wear the tiara of her paternal family. It was used by her mother and by her Marichalar cousins as well.

That may well be the case.

Last edited:

Before Felipe's assumption all the gifts were private property. After the ''Ley de Transparencia'' (Transparency law) the gifts given from that date are owned by ''Patrimonio Nacional''.

Last edited:
Before Felipe's assumption all the gifts were private property. After the ''Ley de Transparencia'' (Transparency law) the gifts given from that date are owned by ''Patrimonio Nacional''.

That is not the case, since the creation of Patrimonio Nacional, gifts received in official activities had to pass to the institution, another thing is that they were not so scrupulous when doing so or that with some gifts the line between private and public was blurred. It's one of the things Felipe and his team have had to work on, establishing the line between public and private.

Probably many of the jewels that Sofía received as official gifts in the early years can be kept private, but the gifts she received from the mid-80s onwards will belong to Patrimonio Nacional and belong to the State even though they are at the disposal of the Royal House.

As revealed in the Spanish press in 2012, King Juan Carlos tried to buy Queen Victoria Eugenia's Aquamarine Tiara, currently owned by Olimpia y Sandra Torlonia (mother of Princess Sibilia of Luxembourg), but they refused to sell the tiara. King Juan Carlos wanted to buy the tiara to offer Queen Sofia as a 50th wedding anniversary gift. The tiara belonged to Queen Victoria Eugenia, wife of King Alfonso XIII of Spain.

https://www.larazon.es/historico/5739-las-joyas-de-las-bodas-de-oro-ULLA_RAZON_453442/

Photos:
https://c8.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G1d18fa1a/22159717_cT7Ur.jpeg

https://c1.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G0518b647/22593083_72C2G.jpeg

https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gcb171e1d/22593084_oZiTq.jpeg

https://c3.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G4217ce90/22593085_7Wcvq.jpeg

I would really like this tiara to return to the Spanish Royal House.

Last edited:
A shame they didn't want to part with it though I understand the family is quite wealthy and has no issues with holding on to jewels. Without JC's dirty money, the SRF will never be able to afford it. Perhaps their wealthy cousins will gift it to Leonor. One can hope.

Juan Carlos had an eye for jewellery, he knew he had to refill the royal vaults and he did. Whatever deals he made with Infanta Maria Cristina and Infanta Pilar, the Cartier Pearl and Cartier Loop tiaras are now in the mainline. It doesn't surprise me that he also tried to buy Ena's Aquamarine tiara. Well done there, Juan Carlos!

It's much more impressive in the “barbed wire” setting. The interlocking circles one is not all that special.

The aquamarines would undoubtedly look great on Leo, but she can probably aim to build up a personal collection of the gem if she wishes.

Juan Carlos had an eye for jewellery, he knew he had to refill the royal vaults and he did. Whatever deals he made with Infanta Maria Cristina and Infanta Pilar, the Cartier Pearl and Cartier Loop tiaras are now in the mainline. It doesn't surprise me that he also tried to buy Ena's Aquamarine tiara. Well done there, Juan Carlos!

I agree, credit to J-C for bringing the two pearl and diaomond tiaras back to the main line.

I agree, credit to J-C for bringing the two pearl and diaomond tiaras back to the main line.

Something I can't see happening under Felipe VI,his consort has little to no interest in historic jewels unlike her mother in law.

Back
Top Bottom