Royals at the 2004 Athens Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hoped to see the Greek Royals, they are my favourites, but saw only princess Irene with her sister Queen Sophia.

simeon of bulgary and william alexander were also there.

carlota said:
simeon of bulgary and william alexander were also there.
Yes of course it was Simeon of Bulgary! I thought I knew the face, but couldn't remember the name.

Thank you, Carlota!

From the Royal House of Sweden (known so far):

The King & Queen, H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip (Friday 20/8-Monday 30/8)

I have seen Princess Anne,Queen Sofia,Prince Frederik and Princess Mary,Prince Willem Alexander,Prince Haakon on TV.But i don't see Prince William,Prince Harry and Duke of Edinburgh.Do you know on the Closing Olympics Ceremony which Royals will attend?

Ah,i also saw Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina,Prince Albert of Monaco.I remember that i also saw the Grand Duke and Granduchess Maria-Theresa.

Greece's Princesses

ATHENS, Greece: Spain's Queen Sofia (R) sits with her sister Princess Irene of Greece prior to the start of the opening ceremony of the 2004 Olympic Games at the Olympic stadium in Athens, 13 August 2004.

51166446.jpg

I believe Jaime de Marichalar, husband to Princess Elena of Spain, sat a couple of rows in front of Dr. Jacques Rogge and Gianna Angelopaulos-Daskalati.

ATHENS, GREECE - AUGUST 14: Queen Sofia of Spain writes her signature on the Olympic Truce wall to mark a symbolic call for the observance of the Olympic Truce during the Athens 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games on August 14, 2004 in Athens, Greece. (Photo by Milos Bicanski/Getty Images)

51170312.jpg

ATHENS, GREECE - AUGUST 14: Prince Albert of Monaco writes his signature on the Olympic Truce wall to mark a symbolic call for the observance of the Olympic Truce during the Athens 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games on August 14, 2004 in Athens, Greece. (Photo by Milos Bicanski/Getty Images)

51170306.jpg

Athens, GREECE: Princess Haya from Jordan, daughter of former King Hussein and half-sister of King Abdullah shakes hands with Jordanian swimmer Omar Abu Fares 14 August 2004 during a visit to the Jordanian 2004 Olympics Games athletic delegation in Athens. Princess Haya competed in the Sydney Olympics in the equestrian events, but pulled out from the Athens competition after her horse was injured. AFP PHOTO DANIEL GARCIA (Photo credit should read DANIEL GARCIA/AFP/Getty Images)

51169506.jpg

ATHENS, Greece: Jordanian Khalil Al-Hanahnahe holds a picture of Jordanian King Abdulah II as he leads the Jordanian delegation into the Olympic Stadium in Athens during the opening ceremony of the 2004 summer games in Athens. Some 10,000 athletes representing 202 countries will march together in front of 70,000 spectators during the spectacular opening, kicking off a fortnight of sporting competition that is costing 5.8 billion euros (7.2 billion dollars) to stage. AFP PHOTO / Joel SAGET (Photo credit should read Joel SAGET/AFP/Getty Images)

51166470.jpg

Alexandria said:
About another Dane in the Olympics: Can anyone update me (and other interested parties ;) ) about Princess Benedikte's youngest daughter Princess Nathalie's participation in the Olympics? Last I heard she was fundraising still to get to Athens to particpate in the equestrian events.
According to Bodil Cath from BT:
Nathalie ikke med til OL
Prinsesse Nathalie, Benediktes datter, der havde som mål at komme med til OL i dressurridning, klarede ikke Team Danmarks krav. Hun var med i opløbet, men blev slået af Andreas Helgstrand, Lone Jørgensen, Jon D. Pedersen og Per Sandgaard.
Prinsesse Benedikte overværer ridekonkurrencen ved OL.
Nathalie is not going to the OL
Princess Nathalie, the daughter of Benedikte, had it as her goal to participate in the dressage competitions at the OL, but she didn't pass the demands of Team Danmark. She was a part of the finishing race, but was beaten by Andreas Helgstrand, Lone Jørgensen, Jon D. Pedersen and Per Sandgaard.
Princess Benedikte will attend the riding-competitions at the OL.

According to Berlingske Tidende Nathalie and her mother Princess Benediktewill attend OL as visitors August 20th-25th.

:)

Last edited:
Chatleen said:
According to Bodil Cath from BT:
Nathalie is not going to the OL
Princess Nathalie, the daughter of Benedikte, had it as her goal to participate in the dressage competitions at the OL, but she didn't pass the demands of Team Danmark. She was a part of the finishing race, but was beaten by Andreas Helgstrand, Lone Jørgensen, Jon D. Pedersen and Per Sandgaard.
Princess Benedikte will attend the riding-competitions at the OL.

According to Berlingske Tidende Nathalie and her mother Princess Benediktewill attend OL as visitors August 20th-25th.

:)

Thanks for the update Chatleen. That's too bad about Princess Nathalie. It would've been great to see her participating and her aunts and cousins cheering in the audience for her.

Alexandria said:
Thanks for the update Chatleen. That's too bad about Princess Nathalie. It would've been great to see her participating and her aunts and cousins cheering in the audience for her.
I heard, that it was her horse being to unstable. She will try to quality for the next olympics, using another horse.

But yes, it would have been a truly royal experince to see a family gathering like that :)

While still on the subject of royals at the games, Prince Albert (of Monaco) presented the medals for the women's 10m synchro diving event. He gave each girl two kisses ;) One of the Russian girls looked particularly pleased. :p

here is a few pictures
all from IBL

August 9, 2004

Attachments

• 764404_02.jpeg
    764404_02.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 572
  • 764404_04.jpeg
    764404_04.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 547
  • 764404_09.jpeg
    764404_09.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 764404_06.jpeg
    764404_06.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 764413_01.jpeg
    764413_01.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 764413_04.jpeg
    764413_04.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 560
What a great support for the Dutch athletes :D

Here some more pictures:

Attachments

• FMP-17-08-19150332.jpg
    FMP-17-08-19150332.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 401
  • FMP-17-08-19220332.jpg
    FMP-17-08-19220332.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 286
  • FMP-17-08-19270332.jpg
    FMP-17-08-19270332.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 412
Do you have other pics of Princess Anne at OL?And when will Princess Anne leave Greece?

Great pictures everybody. I wonder why Maxima and Mette-Marit didn't attend with their husbands. Anyone else know? I really think that it is great to see Willem-Alexander so enthusiastic and supportive of his team!

Gabriella said:
Great pictures everybody. I wonder why Maxima and Mette-Marit didn't attend with their husbands. Anyone else know? I really think that it is great to see Willem-Alexander so enthusiastic and supportive of his team!

Maxima is presently in Argentina with Amalia visiting her parents and siblings.

And I guess Mette-Marit is at home in Norway with Ingrid and Marius before he goes back to school.

Will Anne of UK,Willem of The Netherlands,Sofia of Spain,Frederik and Mary of Denmark,Haakon of Norway...attend the Closing Ceremony?

great photos alexandria! thanks for those pics...!

Back
Top Bottom