Royal Personal Interior Decoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have we seen this room before at Amner Hall? Typically the Cambridges seem to conduct their video meetings in another room. The couple are both sitting on a cream colored sofa or loveseat. The walls appear to be a pale green. There are decorative plates on the wall behind them framing a large mirror. Below the mirror appears to be a small table with plants, a lamp and framed photos.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErztB6yXYA8TJTu?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
Hmm, calming colors on the walls.
Unobtrusive but stylish plates. Are they of a particular manufacturer?

My first impression says: Good and discreet taste.

I don't know. We see just a little part of the room - but it looks oldish...

What I mean: Compare this to the interiors of the Danish household of Crown Princely Couple, or the the Dutch Royals! They are modern! Fit for a modern Monarchy.

Anmer Hall here looks like a museum, what is ok, since or perhaps if the Cambridges are only "museum royals"... And the plates! Who is "de-dusting" them? They are not only so 19th century in style or even older, "chinoiserie" and all..., they are also housekeeping intensive!

They should perhaps discretly ask this Mapelli-Mozzi dude for some advise...! It stays in the family then...

If you look at the way they dress themselves or their children, I think the Cambridge couple has a classic and traditional taste and that reflects in their interior decoration.

I agree their interior design is like their style........ 20-30 years older then they are. What you'd expect from their parents.

The plates on the wall, the chintzy fabric and so on screams grandma's house. A style that was popular in the 50's and so on, that grandma kept going.

There is 'museum' where you have antiques and such (like the palaces). And there is retro. This is just Grandma.

Yes. It's a formal part of the house but it still reflects their personal style.

Have we seen this room before at Amner Hall? Typically the Cambridges seem to conduct their video meetings in another room. The couple are both sitting on a cream colored sofa or loveseat. The walls appear to be a pale green. There are decorative plates on the wall behind them framing a large mirror. Below the mirror appears to be a small table with plants, a lamp and framed photos.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErztB6yXYA8TJTu?format=jpg&name=large

I like it. The colour is currently very trendy in the UK, as is the use of green plants. To my eye, the only "old" or "Grandma" style element is the use of the decorative plates on the sides of the mirrors. On that, I would reserve judgement till I saw the rest of the room,which is quite unlikely. ?

What I mean: Compare this to the interiors of the Danish household of Crown Princely Couple, or the the Dutch Royals! They are modern! Fit for a modern Monarchy.

Modern as the Danish and Dutch royal homes are, I am not sure they are to everybody's taste.

Modern as the Danish and Dutch royal homes are, I am not sure they are to everybody's taste.

And they do not have to be everybody's taste!

And this is the point somewhat: The boring style of the Cambridges is classic (oldish), without any risk, without a personal note and as uncontroversial as possible.

And we amateurs make always the mistake to mix actors and their role... Or perhaps the Cambridges and their royal role. What I mean: Is there something they don't show? Are they hiding something behind their streamlined, conservative personas?

We know, they were alledgedly in their College Years both interested in art. Both! And now this! Suspicious!:whistling:

Nah, I am just making fun. I like them! But on their level everything is political. And the Danes are in their Palace a showcase for a modern Denmark. Perhaps do Mary and Frederick prefer a more classical approach too. But they have to be modern... What do I know?

You sure have a point.

The royals are "curators" of the palaces they live in to a large extent. The frames they live within are set to a certain extent and to some extent also protected by law.
They can't strip the walls down to the bare stone or bricks to create a "rough" look for example. (Fortunately, because it looks hideous with bare concrete walls IMO!)
So I think it's interesting what they do within the limits they have.

That's why I think it's the small details, that tell us a little bit about their taste - and often their personalities.
Choice of color, choice of carpets, chairs, curtains, the way they arrange their desks - or don't...

W&K's room here, which we must presume is a part of the palace that they use on a daily basis, says a little bit about themselves and how they prefer to live. I mean who goes into a more grand room merely to do a presentation on laptop?

And it's interesting to compare this little glimpse with the den of Prince Charles and Camilla. Because that is a cozy, little, cluttered, comfortable cave - a little untidy and perhaps also a little dusty, but safe, homely.

The impression I have of W&K's room is they like it safe. No garish green or orange colors on the walls. No zig-zag pattern on their curtains. No plates with crying children (or dancing elephants) on the wall.
But safe, soothing, calm, unobtrusive, predictable, traditional.
- Pretty much the impression I have of them as a team and as persons.

And some may indeed call that a little boring and that they may actually be, also privately. And as such how they prefer to live. Many people are happy that way.

In the male fashion thread we have long since established that while William may occasionally wear ugly brown shoes (a royal male thing), we won't ever see him wearing a lilac velvet blazer or a tie with yellow sheep on it.
He plays it safe there as well.
So combined with the small glimpses into their private homes, it does give us an indication of his personality.

So all in all this adds to my pet-theory that if William wasn't a royal, he would be perfectly happy as a country-vicar in a small village in Kent. ?

- A long post as usual. :ermm: Oh well, it was a running thought process.

What we have seen of the Cambridges' apartment at KP features beige walls and paintwork. What does that say about their personalities? Safe, boring,...?

I certainly couldn't picture William as a country vicar in Kent, Muhler. Neither he nor Kate have ever shown much interest in religious matters or theology. If he couldn't fly into his forties, and I can imagine him doing that, then I can see him and Kate running a farm or small estate as private individuals.

I like it. The colour is currently very trendy in the UK, as is the use of green plants. To my eye, the only "old" or "Grandma" style element is the use of the decorative plates on the sides of the mirrors. On that, I would reserve judgement till I saw the rest of the room,which is quite unlikely. ?

As I understand it, the members of the BRF have access to a large stock of furniture and accessories that have been collected over the centuries/decades from various royal residences. I believe that the pieces could very likely have historic value and by displaying them they show an appreciation for various forms of decorative arts. Still I would imagine that the various residents like to decorate and furnish to their own tastes as well: contemporary, minimalist, traditional, transitional etc..

Here's an old blog post with some good photos from when we've seen a glimpse of Apt. 1A and Amner Hall. Catherine seems to like adding color with pillows, rugs, and other accessories that can be changed out from time to time. There's also a story on how she ended up with the wrong purple shade for one of the bedrooms. Apparently she also appreciated what the Danish CP couple had created at Amalienborg by combining traditional furniture with contemporary art.

Kate paid several visits to the Design Centre at Chelsea Harbour, a one-stop haven for home furnishings with five hundred brands in a three-storey, modern showroom. A source told People: "I think she likes to pop in every now and again to look for inspiration. She is always by herself and very low-key. She browses and stops for a coffee." On one recent trip, Kate looked at traditional lighting at Vaughan Designs, fabrics at Sanderson (the arts-and-crafts Morris and Co. range was a favourite), as well as fabric at Mulberry Home where she was particularly taken with a jade green and teal paisley stripe material.

https://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.com/2016/08/kate-loves-interior-decor.html

Last edited:
So all in all this adds to my pet-theory that if William wasn't a royal, he would be perfectly happy as a country-vicar in a small village in Kent. ?

William made the decision to work as a professional hero, a rescue pilot, who flew his helicopter into storms and all... This do we know. And this was not only a very brave decision but also a very humanistic and caring one. So, the heli-hero-vicar? What?

And we only see his interior design and think: How boring! But maybe in reality he is moonlighting as an abstract painter or a graffiti sprayer. :whistling:

What do we know?

William made the decision to work as a professional hero, a rescue pilot, who flew his helicopter into storms and all... This do we know. And this was not only a very brave decision but also a very humanistic and caring one. So, the heli-hero-vicar? What?

And we only see his interior design and think: How boring! But maybe in reality he is moonlighting as an abstract painter or a graffiti sprayer. :whistling:

What do we know?

Well, flying repeatedly in bad weather can easily turn someone religious. So the country vicar stands. ;)
I can well see William host a tea-party for the members of his congregation. And eagerly take part in the village-fair. Strolling along in a white summer hat and white jacket among his flock, presenting prizes.

If, and I'm actually serious, William does decorate the interior of their home in a special way, it is IMO very likely with some obscure items that he collects. Like tea-pots, pocket watches, dentures or pre-WWII telephones.
The "boring" types are often passionate collectors.

Here we have a look inside the home of Queen Maxima and King W-A.

I don't know what residence.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsRVf9EW8AEnqIx?format=jpg&name=large

It is a mix of what is to be expected from an old house and a royal residence, in regards to the paintings and the wallpaper. The house is being respected.
But it is also a room that is being used.
This is not Queen Maxima looking her best in very neat and orderly surroundings. This is Queen Maxima at work!

The table and chairs. Nothing special. Probably good quality and expensive though. Appropriate for a secondary dining room.

The clock on the fireplace is to drool over.
And is that an electric "hygge-candle" I spot on the mantel piece?

Carpet is neutral and fits the room.

And now we come to the chandelier. It's an... eeh... it's an acquired taste.
The Christmas decoration is still in place, I see. Complete with cones and cherubs I think they are.

A functional room, that is alive, because it is used.

It is a mix of what is to be expected from an old house and a royal residence, in regards to the paintings and the wallpaper. The house is being respected.
This is not Queen Maxima looking her best in very neat and orderly surroundings. This is Queen Maxima at work!

The table and chairs. Nothing special. Probably good quality and expensive though. Appropriate for a secondary dining room.

The Christmas decoration is still in place, I see. Complete with cones and cherubs I think they are.

It's Huis ten Bosch. Máxima started using this room some time ago for video conferencing; previously she used her ipad while sitting at her 'own desk'.

Other than that chandelier the room is my favourite one used by the queen who also seems to like it and so much so that H.M. doesn't seem to have her shoes on either.

:previous:
The chandelier is exquisite, I would love to see it in person (in a natural light). The pictures don't do it justice.

The chandelier is located in a meeting room on the garden side of Paleis Huis ten Bosch now used frequently by Queen Máxima but during Queen Beatrix's reign, the weekly secretarial meeting took place there.

Its by far much nicer than the queen's private office which we haven't seen in quite some time.

According to these articles we're going to be seeing more of the Sandringham interior in the coming weeks/months. The Queen has reportedly given the Cambridges permission to use Sandringham as an office during this time. The articles do not state if it's Sandringham House or one of the other properties on the estate.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...am-homeschooling-sandringham-george-charlotte

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/queen...am-house-as-an-office-during-lockdown-154979/

The Queen has granted permission for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to use Sandringham House as a temporary office while the UK endures a third national lockdown.
Their Royal Highnesses are now permitted to use Her Majesty’s Norfolk residence as a place where they can conduct official business for the duration of the lockdown.
William and Catherine are currently living in Anmer Hall alongside their three children – a short distance from Sandringham.
The Duchess conducted a video call from Sandringham this week in which she praised nurses for “going that extra mile” during the ongoing public health crisis.

Last edited:

I have once read that the colourful chandelier of Venetian (Murano) crystalware was a purchase by Queen Sophie born Princess of Württemberg. Her marriage to King Willem III detoriated so that the couple started to live in separate residences. In 1855 Queen Sophie was given Huis ten Bosch at her disposal and she had redecorations done to make the place to her taste. (Since 1795 Huis ten Bosch had not been used as permanent residence).

By the way: this is not part of the private apartments but once was the room for the weekly Secretarie under Queen Beatrix. The royal family has a glass construction attached to one of the wings. It is there where they have a modern apartment. We have never seen images of it.

Last edited:
Its traditional as I expected and a style I personally favour.

https://images.app.goo.gl/w9TVwb8fGZ5eTe3U8

Yep, a style well to like... But: There is the political aspect of monarchy - That the royals have to be, yeah..., important for the society, what means in certain aspects popular.

So, popular: Whom like folks more? Those perfect types or those with the little edges, which "live and learn" and develop? I tend to say, the latter. At least I do.

And the style of the Cambridges is boringly noble and oldish royal. No experiments, albeit William is not even (and I hope for a long time, since I am a fan of the Queen) Crown Prince. He does not have to be this way! He is still young. He can experiment...

But he does not have to, this is true, too!

I have once read that the colourful chandelier of Venetian (Murano) crystalware was a purchase by Queen Sophie born Princess of Württemberg. Her marriage to King Willem III detoriated so that the couple started to live in separate residences. In 1855 Queen Sophie was given Huis ten Bosch at her disposal and she had redecorations done to make the place to her taste. (Since 1795 Huis ten Bosch had not been used as permanent residence).

By the way: this is not part of the private apartments but once was the room for the weekly Secretarie under Queen Beatrix. The royal family has a glass construction attached to one of the wings. It is there where they have a modern apartment. We have never seen images of it.

Duc_et_Pair, I now wonder if the exquisite colorful glass chandelier is possibly part of the redecoration that dates back to Queen Sophie. I had mentioned my fondness for it only a few posts back. ?

And the style of the Cambridges is boringly noble and oldish royal. No experiments, albeit William is not even (and I hope for a long time, since I am a fan of the Queen) Crown Prince. He does not have to be this way! He is still young. He can experiment...

It could also be described as more traditional, which of course is not to everyone's tastes.

The Cambridge's have their own style and I see no need for them to keep up with the Euro Jones just to be seen as popular.

The Princess Royal's looks lived in unlike the Pavlos and Marie-Chantal’s ubber glossy magazine look.

Two very different homes!

Marie-Chantal and Pavlov's home is neat and airy and light, but it does lack warmth. That's the first impression I get.
The overall furnishing seems bought and paid for in my eyes. It's a little too neatly arranged for my taste.

Anne's living room however is the completely opposite. It's a little messy, a little too cluttered for my taste, but it's warm and lived in. It's a home, a den.
Even what must be presumed to be a former TV-cabinet still serves a function.

There is one little thing that does annoy me, and I know it's current fashion; using books as decoration on tables. It must be my past as a bookbinder that sets in here: Books are not for decoration, they are for being read.
Books should not be stacked on tables and what not for show, they should be treated with respect and placed on bookshelves. :ermm:

Give me Anne's any day, I'd much rather have a warm cosy room that I may have to tidy rather than MC and Pavlos' all style/hotel like interior that lacks warmth.

I don't mind books on tables it it encourages people to read them...and some books are designed for tables rather than book cases.

Give me Anne's any day, I'd much rather have a warm cosy room that I may have to tidy rather than MC and Pavlos' all style/hotel like interior that lacks warmth.

Agree 100% I can just imagine Anne's room with the dogs lying infront of the fire.

The home of Pavlos and Marie Chantal is just for show like most aspects of their social media lives.

Back
Top Bottom