Royal Miscarriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've known several who has had miscarriages. Most of the time they prefer to be alone in knowing it, and not let everybody know. Especially when it happens early in the pregnancies.

The risk for miscarriages is also why, at least the Norwegian palace, has an unwritten rule that the pregnancy must have entered the second trimester before it is announced to the public.

norwegianne said:
I've known several who has had miscarriages. Most of the time they prefer to be alone in knowing it, and not let everybody know. Especially when it happens early in the pregnancies.

The risk for miscarriages is also why, at least the Norwegian palace, has an unwritten rule that the pregnancy must have entered the second trimester before it is announced to the public.
I know that the Danish palace has the same rule...

Perhaps the reasons for the miscarriages occuring so "often" in the Royal circles is because of the pressures that seem to be placed on the women. They are watched constantly, and I'm sure that is a huge effect from the glare of the media, and often times the "hugeness" of their postions.

I'm sure CP Mary and P Letizia are feeling the pressure to produce heirs to the throne as we speak. Shortly after Felipe and Letizia's wedding, there was speculation about a possible pregnancy. I'm sure Letizia did not feel too comfortable with that - I know I wouldn't.

It's not that royals have miscarriages more often than the common woman, but the reason that it seems more prominent is that the spotlight is on them. You don't hear about miscarriages by non-prominent women but they do happen all the time. Actually, there is a high rate of miscarriages during the first trimester of pregnancy and this rate increases dramatically with age. As with most of the royal women, they tend to start families between the ages of 25 and 35. 35 years old is considered to be, medically, advanced maternal age.

i do not think all of the royals houses report about this, maybe only when a pregnacy is confirmed

How sad for all of these women. I've know women who have miscarried, some will speak of it and some won't. I think it just depends on the person.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
It's not that royals have miscarriages more often than the common woman, but the reason that it seems more prominent is that the spotlight is on them. You don't hear about miscarriages by non-prominent women but they do happen all the time. Actually, there is a high rate of miscarriages during the first trimester of pregnancy and this rate increases dramatically with age. As with most of the royal women, they tend to start families between the ages of 25 and 35. 35 years old is considered to be, medically, advanced maternal age.

Also, with modern medicine, women are finding out they are pregnant much earlier than they would have earlier in history. Early pregnancy is when the risk of miscarriage is highest. Before all of this technology, many women who suffered a miscarriage wouldn't even have known they were pregnant, let alone that they had had a miscarriage.

I don't think royal women have more miscarriages than other women, I just think they are more publicized. I read somewhere that 10% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, mostly in the first few weeks.

Naut2bGrimaldi said:
Princess Grace of Monaco had several (one in Canada).

I believe it was in 1967 during Prince Rainier and Princess Grace's visit to Expo67 in Montreal.

In the beginning Year of 1979 Queen Noor stayed in England as Guests of Anne Marie and Konstantin of Greece. There she had a miscarriage, which she describes in her Book " Leap of faith"

nilah said:
Why happens a lot of miscarriages in the royal circle?

Miscarriages are a lot more common than people think, it's just that most people don't talk about it much. I know of at least four women in my family who have had miscarriages-one relative ended up never being able to have kids.

I was just reading royal news from 2002 and there was a Dutch press release that read as follows:

Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, Contessa di Colorno (daughter of Prince Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma and of Princess Irene of the Netherlands) and her husband, Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, are expecting their first child in December.

Can anyone comment as to what happened?

Eliza

The last I heard about that couple was that Princess Margarita had been accepted back into the family (a very nice thing considering all the harm and pain she caused them), and she was getting a divorce from that reportedly gold-digging publicity-hound of a husband of hers. I think they've been separated for a long time though, so I think the pregnancy story was bogus to begin with.

I can't remember anything of that kind, I know nothing but the things
SpiffyBallerina said too, but maybe other Dutch members here know more on the subject than I do?

I have never heard about these Margarita rumours before either, so I wonder in which newspaper it was published.

Anyway, Princess Marguerite of Liechtenstein, nee Pss of Luxembourg had a miscarriage in the 80-ties. I believe she grew esp. close to her aunt Fabiola in those days.

It is rumoured (falsely probably) that Beatrix had a stillborn twinbrother. Queen Wilhelmina definately had a few miscarriages.

Marengo said:
I have never heard about these Margarita rumours before either, so I wonder in which newspaper it was published.

Anyway, Princess Marguerite of Liechtenstein, nee Pss of Luxembourg had a miscarriage in the 80-ties. I believe she grew esp. close to her aunt Fabiola in those days.

It is rumoured (falsely probably) that Beatrix had a stillborn twinbrother. Queen Wilhelmina definately had a few miscarriages.

Margaretha, princess of Luxembourg, spouse of Nikolaus, prinz von und zu Liechtenstein, had a stillborn baby, Leopold Emmanuel, on may 20th 1984.

Queen Fabiola of Belgium had a miscarriage, July 11th, 1966
Countess of Wessex had a miscarriage December 6th, 2001

I heard from different media that CP Mathilde had a miscarriage during first year of her marriage.
Queen Sonja - as CPss had two miscarriages - before and after Martha's birth.

From long past Queen Bona (nee Sforza, 1495 - 1558) wife of King Zygmunt I Jagiellonczyk had a miscarriage. During horse-riding her son - later king Zygmunt II August scare his mother's horse and the queen fell. (She expect second son.)

Princess Grace of Monaco had a miscarriage 1967 and 1970/1971
Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands had a miscarriage November 9th 1901; July 23rd 1906; January 23rd 1912 and October 20th 1912. She has one stillborn son, born May 4th 1902.

Yes I read that Mathilde had a miscarriage.I read it in a book and there it was a fact.In my opnion it is not true...I hope so...

hilal said:
Queen Fabiola of Belgium had a miscarriage, July 11th, 1966
Countess of Wessex had a miscarriage December 6th, 2001

Did Queen Fabiola have only a miscarriage?I thought she had several ones!

Ii happen, if I good remember three times: May 1961, April 1963 and July 1966.

kittencrews said:
Hmm... I'm trying to remember which years... I do remember from a book that it was of course between Albert and Stephanie. People say that is one of the reasons she spoiled Stephanie so much.

Elizabet the Queen Mother also had a miscarriage.

princess grace lost one baby in 1962 and one baby in oct. 1967.i have that informations from two books.

Last edited:
Was Elena of Spain 3 months gone when her father announced her pregnancy?

I never knew she had had a miscarriage.

Recently I have heard of so many people in my family/friends circle having them, must be very difficult.

I think if I was Royalty and had one I would acknowlegde it publicly, I would not keep it a secret. I would not blurt it out but you would need time off to get over it, I would tell the truth and not pretend it had not happened. Nothing to be ashamed of.

liv said:
Yes I read that Mathilde had a miscarriage.I read it in a book and there it was a fact.In my opnion it is not true...I hope so...

I think we have the same book Liv, because I have a book that says the same. In the book it says she had the miscarriage in February 2001, which can't be right, because Elisabeth was born in October that same year. I do believe the rumors about a miscarriage was from February 2000, like magnik posted, so maybe the fact was misplaced in the book. However, in the book it also says that Albert is not Laurent's father. That's not true, so I don't really believe the story about Mathilde having a miscarriage.

tigerlilly2005 said:
princess grace lost one baby in 1962 and one baby in oct. 1967.i have that informations from two books.

She did have one miscarriage in 1967 but I'm not sure at all about October. She was in Montreal for Expo67 which was a summer event. She was treated at the Royal Victoria Hospital.

The Duchess of Kent had a miscarriage in the 1970's. It caused her great depression and sorrow.

Many famous royal women have had miscarriages, and unfortunately for some of them, it cost them their lives, titles, and the children they did have. Katharine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn come to mind.

Katharine of Aragon's first pregnancy was thought to be twins and that she had only miscarried one of the babies, which was a girl. Her doctors told her that there was still another baby in her womb because she still looked very pregnant. She took to her chamber for the birth but the time came and went. Her stomach deflated and the doctors had to concede there was only one child not two. Katharine was mortified as was King Henry VIII.

The Empress Alexandra Feodorovna miscarried a boy on her second pregnancy in 1896. The Imperial Family was quite angry that she miscarried a boy after only giving them a girl in 1895. Alexandra had to wait until July 1905 and 3 daughters later to have her son. The joy soon gave way to tears when it was discovered he was a hemophiliac.

i feel sorry for empress alexandra of russia that must have been a huge burden on her especially in that time period

Queen Sonja of Norway had a miscarriage July 2nd or 3rd, 1970.
Queen Anne Marie of Greece had a miscarriage in Rome December 28th 1967 and February 1st 1980.

Princess BellyFlop said:
She did have one miscarriage in 1967 but I'm not sure at all about October. She was in Montreal for Expo67 which was a summer event. She was treated at the Royal Victoria Hospital.

i´d read that in 3 books. grace lost a baby in 1962 and one in 1967. it could be that it was in summer....i don´t really remember. but grace lost 2 babies

Back
Top Bottom