Royal Family Of Nepal - Shah dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well,, BeatrixFan, you have completely ignored -or not known in the first place-all of the facts of history. Maoism was and is an unmitigated disaster for China. It shattered the economy and kept an immensely tallented people in a concrete body cast for decades. Its heirs, the current inept leadership, propoganda aside, has also proven monumentally inept in really dealing with a time bonb that may well explode with catastrophic results for the whole world. Ever heard of the "Great Leap Forward" and fifty million Chinese citizens starving to death. And how about the cultural revolution with its total disruption of everything, including of course, the economy. Then there is the minor fact of 50-100 MILLION deaths attributable to this madness, not to mention all the horror, torture, "re-education", prison, and the suffering and exile and all the rest of it for those still living. Talk to some of the Chinese who got out of China and then make the totally irresponsible statement lacking in understanding and compassion you have just made. Go read "Bones of the Master" if you want to get a feel of what it was to live in those times and what the Communists did to anybody who tried to live a life of religious devotion.

Nobody needs a dose of Maoism. That is nothing but blood, torture, prison, death and madness. And Nepal is a fragile and desperately poor country where a large portion of the population have been duped by those same fantasies and lies that have fooled so many. Maoism is a monstrous system that cannot be called an improvement on anything. The king was a man, a brutal man who was totally out of place but the situation in Nepal today, if history is any indication, is the beginning of a nightmare and human tragedy of appalling proportions. Go read a good history of the French Revolution and Louis XVI, another king, but a decent man, who was in way over his head in a situation he never understood nor could control.

I disagree. Any country that is used to absolute rule needs an absolute system. China was so used to an Imperial past that they needed one man making the decisions for them. Democracy just wouldn't work. And Nepal is very much the same, it needs some kind of absolutist rule for the transition at least. China was a fragile and poor country but Maoism transformed it into the world's greatest superpower. What China has today was built on Mao's extremist rule. Yes, there were murders, assassinations, freedom curtailments etc etc but surely that could just as easily have happened under the King? Certainly the curtailment of freedom was happening under Gyanendra. Remember, the world is watching Nepal in a way that it wasn't watching China and I'm sure that this brand of Maoism will be alot more peaceful.

Unfurtunatly I have to agree with you BeatrixFan. What is going to happen in Nepal from now on is uncertain. I can't find any better way to predict the immediate future then quoting Antonio Gramscie: "The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appears."
Hopefully the maoist party is only one of those symptoms and I do so wish that the idaology of this party will not do the same horrible damage to Nepal as it did to China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the royal family own the palaces? If they were deposed, surely they still have a right to live in their own homes?

I'm very very sad about the situation in Nepal. Its the last hindu monarchy to go. I wish crown prince deependra hadn't killed his family(we're not quite sure about that either) but whatever has happened wouldn't have happened with king birendra alive. I just feel bad for the family's trouble (though GOD knows they've contributed) the crown princess is so young and her children barely of age.
There was some talk about her and the crown prince and the family returning to India to live with his wife's family but I don't think thats a good option. They'll never be away from nepal and I have a suspicion Prachanda won't leave the royal family alone. Nepal has changed beyond recognition since the massacre.Its very sad indeed
I agree with your post if that terrible tragedy had never happened Nepal
would still be a monarchy because the late king and queen were loved by
the people as if they were members of the people of Nepal's own family.
I had a feeling someday the monarchy would end because the ex king
was not like by the people of Nepal and I hope that the people are
satsified with their new government and things will go well for them.

Last edited:
Does the royal family own the palaces? If they were deposed, surely they still have a right to live in their own homes?

The argument is probably that the palaces are the property of the people, i.e. the State, and therefore the people who no longer represent/govern the State no longer have the right to live in them. I'm not sure whether I can agree with that or not. Part of the problem with modern monarchies is that they become ever more ossified in tradition, with very little room to change--a far cry from history. For a fictional treatment of this, read or see Gormenghast.

China was a fragile and poor country but Maoism transformed it into the world's greatest superpower.
I don't mean to take this thread off topic but the current economic achievements in China only began after the death of Chairman Mao and the arrest of the Gang of Four, which is why I described Maoism as a discredited ideology. If you want to know what Maoism did to China, read Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

I disagree though Warren, I'd say that modern China was built on Mao. Maoism had to happen in China so that it had a new foundation to build it's modern success on. Nepal will no doubt be the same.

Royal massacre anniversary goes unnoticed in Nepal
1 Jun 2008
As Nepal remained in grip of euphoria over transition to a republic, the seventh anniversary of the ghastly royal massacre that wiped out King Birendra's family went unnoticed today with his successor Gyanendra busy packing bags after being ordered to vacate the palace...
Rest of article: The Economic Times

----

Nepal back to work after republic, palace confused
1 Jun 2008
Nepal went back to work on Sunday as government offices and schools opened for the first time since the Himalayan nation ended its centuries-old monarchy and became a republic...
Rest of article: Reuters India

----

Nepal's Deposed King Loses Ancestral Home in Gorkha
1 Jun 2008
Nepalese officials say the country's dethroned monarch has lost his palace in the town of Gorkha, after the leader of former Maoist rebels, Prachanda, declared it a museum...
Rest of article: Voice of America News

This is getting interesting. Mr. Gyanendra and Mrs. Komal Shadev are no longer entitled to live in the Royal Palace. Does anyone know if Paras Shahdev lives in a state owned property or is it private? I don't understand why they are not leaving Nepal; it is more than evident that they are no longer welcome there.
It has been reported that Crown Prince Paras and his wife and three young children are occupying Nirmal Niwas, which is privately owned by King Gyanendra.

Nepal ex-king 'to go gracefully'
2 Jun 2008
Nepal's former king, Gyanendra, has agreed to vacate his palace within the next fortnight and live as a commoner, the home minister has said...
Rest of article: BBC News

Former Nepalese crown princess Himani along with her three children arrives Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathamndu on July 17, 2008. The wife and children of Nepal's former Crown Prince Paras have left the Himalayan nation, to start a new life in Singapore.

BelgaPicture - Category details

Nepal's ex-crown princess, children head to Singapore
17 Jul 2008
The wife and children of Nepal's former crown prince Paras have left the Himalayan nation to start a new life in Singapore, airport officials said Thursday. Paras' family will join him in the city-state, where he has been for the past two weeks since leaving the new republic...
Rest of article can be found here

I disagree though Warren, I'd say that modern China was built on Mao. Maoism had to happen in China so that it had a new foundation to build it's modern success on. Nepal will no doubt be the same.

I compleatly disagree with you BeatrixFan. Modern China is not build on Moaism, but upon thousind years of great culture, that was oppresses during thouse horrible years of maoisem. I do not wish for Nepal to go through the same kind of opression. It is totally unnessesary.

Yes. I agree. Maoism is not China. Cina is a very old nation and was build courageously by centuries, by its heterogeneous people and its Emperors.

It's too sad to think that Nepal has lost its King. I'm sure the current Royal Family was a disaster for the country and Nepalese , but maybe a new dinasty could have arranged things. When Monarchy ends in a country, it's always sad for me. I can't help to feel sad now...What a disaster..What a bad thing.

Bad Kings can do a great harm to they countries...:cry:

Vanesa.

Nepal palace massacre survivor makes fresh start
6 Dec 2008

Eight years after watching his wife and other family members dying after being struck by hails of bullets and himself receiving grave injuries, Gorakh Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana, one of the few lucky survivors of Nepal’s infamous royal palace massacre in 2001, on Saturday starts building a new life for himself by exorcising old ghosts and exchanging wedding vows once again...

Full article: Times of India
----------
Nepal Ex-Monarch denies audience to Koirala
22 Dec 2008

Unconfirmed reports have it that octogenarian Nepali Congress President Girija Prasad Koirala’s repeated plea to meet Nepal’s last Monarch Gyanendra Shah stood rejected...

Full article: Telegraph Nepal
----------
No curb on Gyanendra's India visit: Nepalese govt
24 Dec 2008

Nepal’s foreign ministry on Wednesday said the government would not prevent former king Gyanendra from visiting India if he wanted to as the former ruler was now a commoner who did not require any protocol or special measures...

Full article: Times of India

Secret royal concubine, 94, to remain at palace
13 June 2008

When Gyanendra, Nepal’s deposed king, left the Narayanhiti palace for the last time yesterday to start life as an ordinary citizen, officials cordoned off a small part of the palace so one of its most mysterious residents could continue to live life as she has done for more than half a century.

While the newly elected Maoist-led assembly plans to turn the former royal residence into a museum to underline the country’s new status as a republic, it will also honour a 60-year-old royal promise.

While Gyanendra Shah – as the former king is now officially known – settles into life in a concrete chalet on the edge of Kathmandu, Sarala Gorkhali, 94, a former concubine to Gyanendra’s grandfather, King Tribhuvan, will remain at the palace – the final member of a royal court and dynasty that ruled for 240 years...

Full article: The National

Maoists planned to kidnap Nepal Prince in 2005
16 July 2009

Maoists had planned to abduct Nepal’s crown prince and kill the country’s Army Chief as part of a plot to give a jolt to monarchy during the reign of the now deposed King Gyanendra in 2005, a media report said on Wednesday.

The plan was to abduct the flamboyant crown prince Paras and take him to a remote hilly district to make him “confess” what actually happened in the palace in June, 2001 when King Birendra was killed along with all his family members, pro-Maoist Nepali daily Naya Patrika said.
Full article: The Indian Express
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nepal's king reflects beyond the throne
22 July 2009

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's request to the UN Security Council for a six-month extension to the world body's special mission in Nepal beyond July 23 is based on a perception of a "growing complexity of the political situation".

Progress towards taking the ongoing peace process to its logical conclusion is palpably limited. Nepal's friends and donors are doubtful of the possibility of promulgating a new constitution (to replace the present interim one) by May 2010. Rivalry and mutual mistrust among key political parties have not abated. Deteriorating law and order amid ethnic unrest leave little room for realistic optimism.

Full article: Asia Times
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nepal to save royal massacre home
23 July 2009

The Nepalese government will restore the house in which King Birendra and his family were gunned down eight years ago, PM Madhav Kumar Nepal has said.

Full article: BBC

Last Nepal king plans further India visit
4 August 2009

For the second time this year, Nepal’s last king Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah is planning a visit to India, this time to attend not one but two weddings in the family.

The back-to-back double wedding of two nieces in December will see the congregation of former royalties from both India and Nepal.

Full article: Thaindian News

What do you think about a restoration in Nepal?

Prognosis for Restoration in Nepal

What do you think about a restoration in Nepal?

I've been watching events in Nepal unfold for the past several years now, and I do consider that there is a fair chance for a restoration. Monarchists only need to worry if this misbegotten "Republic" starts showing signs of durability or functionality. To date, it has shown neither.

I realize that these boards tend to eschew in-depth political discussions [part of the reason I've elected to "lurk" until now...], so I won't clutter this post with too much of my own analysis of what's going on in Nepal. I have, however, posted a few lengthy threads on this subject on another royalty forum, which I shall link for anyone interested in catching up on events.

This thread was started April 10 last year, when the Constituent Assembly election took place and the King's fate seemed sealed:
CA Elections in Nepal - Monarchy Forum

This thread was started August 24 last year [when Prachanda took office], and continues to the present:
Nepal's New Order - Monarchy Forum

Essentially, my contention is that the Maoists' upset victory in the '08 polls is actually a good thing for the King's long-term political prospects. The main parties in the SPA [Seven Party Alliance] had already reached an internal agreement back in December '07 to scrap the monarchy at the first sitting of the CA. The CA poll wasn't going to result in a monarchist vote on 5/28, no matter which party came in first.

But the SPA parties had entered into their tactical alliance with the Maoists on the understanding that there was no earthly way the Maoists could possibly win the April '08 polls. The SPA assumed the Nepalese people would obediently re-elect them, and the Maoists would fade into political irrelevance. Naive, yes, but this fatuous assumption seems to have been shared by India and the U.S.

Instead, the Maoists' unexpected clout in the CA completely scuttled the internal dynamics of the SPA/Maoist "cartel" and forced the SPA into a survival posture. Earlier this year, the SPA parties supported the Chief of Army Staff in a row with the Maoist cabinet, so as to maintain the Army's political independence and the SPA's own political survival. That row collapsed the Prachanda cabinet and brought a new, shaky coalition government into power in May.

If political moderates want to take back political initiative from the Maobadis, they need to patch over the deep fissures in their own ranks and re-fortify their alliance with the [still-Royalist] Army. The best path to this end, I am convinced, lies through the institution of the Crown.

I am glad that King Gyanendra has steadfastly refused to leave Nepal. There are certainly political developments to be exploited as the situation in that country unravels, and HM still has a sporting chance.

--- John K.

I strongly believe that the monarchy of Nepal will be restored. The republic have shown evidence that they can not succeed. Therefore the opportunity for restoration his possible. Monarchist within Nepal and out most join forces and focus on their resources on and definite restoration of the monarchy. If and radical approach is needed to see this through then so shall it be.

Former Nepal king Gyanendra to attend the wedding of the Indian princess in Orissa
An article

Bolliwood actress Manisha decided to join forces with Nepal's deposed king Gyanendra.
A new film will be shot in Nepal.
India Times article

Ex-king Gyanendra had had the medical check-up at the hospital in New Delhi after his four week stay in India with the high level of cholesterol revealed. Now Gyanendra needs his diet's control.
His wife Komal had complained about the hearing problems at the same time. Now she needs her hearing aid battery's changing.

An article - The Times of India

Last Nepal king breaks ancient taboo .:. newkerala.com Online News -47709

Almost two years after he was stripped of his crown and became a commoner, Nepal's deposed king Gyanendra himself has broken a centuries-old taboo.

The last king of Nepal, known to consult an army of astrologers before embarking on a journey or taking any major decision, hit the headlines Tuesday with reports that he had attended, for the first time in the history of Nepal's Shah dynasty, a religious fair in a town till now considered out of bounds for his family.

Back
Top Bottom