Relationship between Queen Ingrid and Queen Louise

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suztav

Heir Presumptive
I know that Queen Ingrid was not fond of Queen Louise when she first married her father, King Gustav. Did their relationship warm up through the years? Did Ingrid's children and/or the current King of Sweden and his sisters consider Louise to be their grandmother? Any information will be appreciated.

I didnt know this
:(

How sad i did not know that :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think Louise was popular among the royal children and not particulary popular among the swedes either.
I dont remember where I´ve heard it... I think it must have been some documentary about the king.
Anyone know for sure?

Well I don't know if she was popular among the Swedes or not, I have never heard that she was not liked either. The only thing I have heard is that the relationship between Ingrid and Louise was rather difficult. The reason was that teenager Ingrid was used to being the only female in the family and she saw her new stephmother as an intruder, or something simular. Not very uncommon for a stephdaughter to have that opinion IMHO. The relationship improved when Ingrid was more mature and (and left for Copenhagen ;)), but still both women had very different characters. I have never heard that any of the boys had particular difficulties with their stephmother though, the relationship seems to have been cordial at the very least.

Any information about the funeral for Queen Louise? I wonder if the public had embraced her by the time of her death?

All I know is that she is buried alongside her husband, which must account for something.

its kind of strange that ingrid and louise didnt get along consider the fact that ingrid might have known louise when she was visiting england also the fact that they were both great grandchildren of queen victoria

here's the pic of queen louise funeral in 1965

Attachments

• 205363.jpg
    205363.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5,740
In that photo, who are the men stood either side of what looks like Queen Margrethe?

In that photo, who are the men stood either side of what looks like Queen Margrethe?
The young man on her left is Crownprince Carl-Gustaf (now Carl XVI Gustaf) and on her right is (i think) Carl-Johan Bernadotte

I don't blame that Ingrid did not like her.I would be sad if my father moved on after my mother's death.

Ingrid was only ten when her mother died.

Louise and Ingrids relationship got better as Ingrid got older. Maybe Ingrids move to Copenhagen helped. Louise had à much bettet relationship with the 2 youngest princes Bertil and Carl Johan. Maybe it helped that they were only 8 and 4 when their mother died and really needed a step mother. Bertil wrote in his memories that their father liked Ingrid so much that he belives it must have been a lot of hard discussions between their father and Louise behind closed doors in their bedchamber about Ingrids favour :-D

Last edited:
I dont think Louise was popular among the royal children and not particulary popular among the swedes either.
I dont remember where I´ve heard it... I think it must have been some documentary about the king.
Anyone know for sure?
Queen Louise was very popular with the Swedes. She had the perfect combination of being down-to-earth, extremely hardworking and exuding royal gravitas from every pore on her body.

Back
Top Bottom