Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's disgusting, a lot of people will believe that and buy the product.

I still hope that something happens and she will not marry this charlatan.

I don't understand why the king & queen of Norway let this Durek Verrett, a con man of their daughter princess Martha Louise accept him into the family. Durek Verrett is a charlatan, a crook, using the royal family to his advantage for his shady deals.

"I still hope that something happens and she will not marry this charlatan."

"I don't understand why the king & queen of Norway let this Durek Verrett, a con man of their daughter princess Martha Louise accept him into the family. Durek Verrett is a charlatan, a crook, using the royal family to his advantage for his shady deals."

Totally agree with you both on both comments.

I don't understand why the king & queen of Norway let this Durek Verrett, a con man of their daughter princess Martha Louise accept him into the family. Durek Verrett is a charlatan, a crook, using the royal family to his advantage for his shady deals.

Presumably because she is 50 years old and will just do it anyway if they refuse permission. And would probably still use her title. Except this time they'll cry racism and have the US press on their side giving them more publicity. Especially given Haakon was allowed to marry MM and Martha was allowed to marry Ari. Haakon also made it clear that they wanted to try and avoid the problems other Houses have faced over this.

Their own love story has also made them never wish to do the same thing to their own children. And probably in this way they hope to still have some control over the situation and be able to be there for her and their granddaughters if things go wrong. They may also think he's okay personally -especially as Durek seems capable of being charming but just have a problem with his "profession".

It's not just the medallion that is controversial. It's also his comments on cancer treatments, chronic diseases, blaming past lives for current illnesses and not to mention his IMHO misogynistic comments on refreshing women's genitals (including graphic talk about MLs at one point.) Among other things.

Also his troubling history of past relationships...

But you don't get someone out of a cult, or away from a conman, by simply telling them what they're doing is wrong. The more gentle approach is so she will not choose him over them.

The problem is of course that not only is ML insistent of marrying Durek - love is blind or whatever her motives may be. But his business methods and claims are at best ethically flawed and at worst downright criminal in Norway.
And as someone pointed out, I'm sure Durek can be very charming, funny and attentive - as long as he gets his way...
Personally I genuinely think they are fine in each other's company.

The problem is that Durek is a foreign national - a Norwegian or even a Scandinavian, would probably face multiple charges for quackery by now and easily dealt with by the NRF.
But if the King deny ML to marry Durek, there is a more than good chance they will return to USA and play the race-card in every talk-show imaginable and perform a song and dance act about the unreasonable NRF, the racist and intolerant Norwegians and so on...
And while I doubt many Americans would buy that or even care, they can cause enough stir to be an annoyance.
Keep in mind that the NRF just like the DRF and SRF are used to brand Norway and help Norwegian export to foreign countries including USA, so a controversial accusation that is difficult to defend against is the last thing the NRF and indeed Norway needs.

- So I think it is hoped that the happy couple will leave for USA permanently and stay there and show themselves as little as possible in Norway.
After all a self-proclaimed shaman and his angle-conversationalist of a wife selling products and spiritual shows in California will probably have a much less damaging impact than them going full Harry and Meghan.
It will still irritate the Norwegians to no end, but outside Norway few will care one bit.
Because if anyone believes ML and Durek won't use their royal connections and ML's royal status (and title) regardless of whatever conditions they agree to, then I've got an Eiffel tower for sale.

The problem is of course that not only is ML insistent of marrying Durek - love is blind or whatever her motives may be. But his business methods and claims are at best ethically flawed and at worst downright criminal in Norway.
And as someone pointed out, I'm sure Durek can be very charming, funny and attentive - as long as he gets his way...
Personally I genuinely think they are fine in each other's company.

The problem is that Durek is a foreign national - a Norwegian or even a Scandinavian, would probably face multiple charges for quackery by now and easily dealt with by the NRF.
But if the King deny ML to marry Durek, there is a more than good chance they will return to USA and play the race-card in every talk-show imaginable and perform a song and dance act about the unreasonable NRF, the racist and intolerant Norwegians and so on...
And while I doubt many Americans would buy that or even care, they can cause enough stir to be an annoyance.
Keep in mind that the NRF just like the DRF and SRF are used to brand Norway and help Norwegian export to foreign countries including USA, so a controversial accusation that is difficult to defend against is the last thing the NRF and indeed Norway needs.

- So I think it is hoped that the happy couple will leave for USA permanently and stay there and show themselves as little as possible in Norway.
After all a self-proclaimed shaman and his angle-conversationalist of a wife selling products and spiritual shows in California will probably have a much less damaging impact than them going full Harry and Meghan.
It will still irritate the Norwegians to no end, but outside Norway few will care one bit.
Because if anyone believes ML and Durek won't use their royal connections and ML's royal status (and title) regardless of whatever conditions they agree to, then I've got an Eiffel tower for sale.

Most people in the United States know little about Norway and don't even know that Norway is a monarchy. The US press has no interest either in Norway or the Norwegian royal family. I don't see ML being able to play the race card in the US as Meghan and Harry did and anyone paying serious attention to them. Besides, the US press will not side with a con man who sells healing medallions (especially after they all claimed to be the greatest defenders of science during the Covid pandemic and the Trump administration).

So honestly I don't think the NRF should have any fear of a public opinion backlash in the US if they cut ML off, which, incidentally, would be irrelevant to the Norwegian royals even if it did happen, They should fear, however, a public opinion backlash in Norway itself, which will happen if they don't distance themselves from Durek and disown ML. I am afraid there is no other way.

Last edited:
So honestly I don't think the NRF should have any fear of a public opinion backlash in the US if they cut ML off, which, incidentally, would be irrelevant to the Norwegian royals. They should fear, however, a public opinion backlash in Norway itself, which will happen if they don't distance themselves from Durek and disown ML. I am afraid there is no other way.

Why not both? They could distance themselves from Verrett, disown ML, and then face a foreign-engineered media backlash. :whistling:

Not knowing anything about Norway is a great excuse to play the "this place is horrible and racist" card, incidentally.

And I trust King Harald's tact and sense vs. his overindulged daughter. They'll figure something out.

Why not both? They could distance themselves from Verrett, disown ML, and then face a foreign-engineered media backlash. :whistling:

Not knowing anything about Norway is a great excuse to play the "this place is horrible and racist" card, incidentally.

Except that the person playing the race card here is of questionable reputation. As I said, the US media took a clear stance against Donald Trump when he promoted chloroquine during the Covid pandemic. There is no way the mainstream media will side with someone who sells Covid healing medallions or claims that diseases are caused by past life events. If anything, the mainstream media, aftet crowning themselves as the defenders of science in America, will applaud the King for cutting all ties with such a person.

Most likely though, it won't even catch the attention of the mainstream press or will get at most a side node. ML is not a celebrity in America like Harry and Meghan and won't attract much attention. I don't see ML being interviewed by Oprah for example.

Last edited:
We saw with Mako and Kei that a lot of Western media either didn't know or didn't care that Mako's situation wasn't unique to her and was one faced by all Japanese Princesses, albeit she had some unusually difficult obstacles. That whoever she married she would have to "leave" the family not that she was being stripped of her job, home and title because her family didn't approve of Kei. I tried to explain to a friend that her cousins and aunts have married former aristocracy and close friends of the family and the end result was the same even if everyone was happier with those situations, but you'd never know it from some reporting.

Except that the person playing the race card here is of questionable reputation. As I said, the US media took a clear stance against Donald Trump when he promoted chloroquine during the Covid pandemic. There is no way the mainstream media will side with someone who sells Covid healing medallions or claims that diseases are caused by past life events. If anything, the mainstream media, aftet crowning themselves as the defenders of science in America, will applaud the King for cutting all ties with such a person.

I would hope so, really I would. I don't think that any of the press would *promote* his criminally dangerous treatments and schemes at all.

However all it takes is for one or two interviews to big publications claiming "We were denied permission to marry and my title was stripped from me because Durek is black" for many others to jump on the bandwagon and not realise or investigate further even with a simple google search about Durek until the damage has been done. Think about a certain other couple who claimed their son was denied a title and therefore security because of his heritage NONE of that was true and the info was easy to find but many big US outlets at least repeated that "the couple claimed" that it was true without informing their readers that it was actually verifiably false. I know that situation had no dangerous medical angle but I can definitely see some just taking "their truth" for it once racism has been invoked.

I'm not saying it would be a BRF type huge deal even in talk show/tabloid circles and I don't think it would be enough to damage Norway's reputation in general or its import/export trade but it would be embarrassing just as the DRF situation is a bit of an international embarrassment and one that they do seem to be keen on avoiding if at all possible. As well as ML's agreement on her title if at all possible (Which is unlikely).

Last edited:
Watching this spectacle of ML-DV, my opinion as an Asian is how accepting and forgiving the Norwegian and Norwegian media are. Verret certainly manages to make Komuro like an angel compare to him. If Komuro ever did half what Verret did, the backlash towards the IF would be huge, the media (and public opinion) would flay him alive even with the fact that Mako will lose her title anyway. Something like "but they love each other" won't do, no matter what foreign media think.

But maybe that's because us Asians have different family value (marriage is about two families, not just the couple themselves) so we have different criteria of what make a perfect son-in-law candidate.

Just my opinion, while I wish NRF cut tie with ML and her problematic partner immediately, doing nothing regarding their title except publicly opposing their problematic belief probably is the best current option. Taking away her title/succession right/opposing their marriage will definitely bring up the "racist" criticism (no matter from the media or the couple). Just let the couple expose themselves and their nonsense and bs, let them leave the evidence and "prove" that it's not about racism at all by themselves. And the comments from Harald, Sonja and Haakon is just like a disclaimer, “their nonsense doesn't represent the RF or Norway (and we just let them marry for the sake of her personal happiness and their 'true love')", some damage control for future I guess.

I fear given Verrett's history this will only end with ML getting emotionally hurt, or worse.

He is also in need of a kidney transplant again, so who knows how that's going to go?

Just my opinion, while I wish NRF cut tie with ML and her problematic partner immediately, doing nothing regarding their title except publicly opposing their problematic belief probably is the best current option. Taking away her title/succession right/opposing their marriage will definitely bring up the "racist" criticism (no matter from the media or the couple). Just let the couple expose themselves and their nonsense and bs, let them leave the evidence and "prove" that it's not about racism at all by themselves. And the comments from Harald, Sonja and Haakon is just like a disclaimer, “their nonsense doesn't represent the RF or Norway (and we just let them marry for the sake of her personal happiness and their 'true love')", some damage control for future I guess.

Just some thoughts: I really feel very sorry for Harald and Sonja, being the parents of ML. They both are over 80 years old, a age where I would wish everybody peace and calm. And ML with her horrible fiancee is causing them permanent trouble, sorrow and worries. If they were not royals it would be bad anough for them, but in addition they have to make comments in public, defend or not defend their daughter. What a horrible situation for that old couple.
They just cannot go into public and say what they really think, which might be that they are very worried about their daughters future with this guy, they are probably worried about the wellbeing of their granddaughters, but they feel helpless.
This woman is 50 and she will pull thru (me against the world) and puts all these images on insta/twitter and so on, how wonderful this guy is how happy she and her daughters are with the whole situation. Is that really the truth? I doubt it. The daughters have been thru a lot, the divorce, the suicide of ther father and now this.

I feel very sorry for the old parents and for the daughters of ML.

Just some thoughts: I really feel very sorry for Harald and Sonja, being the parents of ML. They both are over 80 years old, a age where I would wish everybody peace and calm. And ML with her horrible fiancee is causing them permanent trouble, sorrow and worries. If they were not royals it would be bad anough for them, but in addition they have to make comments in public, defend or not defend their daughter. What a horrible situation for that old couple.
They just cannot go into public and say what they really think, which might be that they are very worried about their daughters future with this guy, they are probably worried about the wellbeing of their granddaughters, but they feel helpless.
This woman is 50 and she will pull thru (me against the world) and puts all these images on insta/twitter and so on, how wonderful this guy is how happy she and her daughters are with the whole situation. Is that really the truth? I doubt it. The daughters have been thru a lot, the divorce, the suicide of ther father and now this.

I feel very sorry for the old parents and for the daughters of ML.

Maud and Leah have made unasked social media comments to the effect that they like him and they're happy for him and their mom. So they appear to be all right with it, or they would say nothing — at minimum. Let's hope nothing happens to change that.

As far as Harald and Sonja, there's an argument that due to their own grueling courtship, love-conquers-all story, and then Sonja's difficult pregnancies, they may have indulged their beloved kids a bit too much. Princess Ragnhild certainly gave words to that effect. While Haakon appears to have grown up and is dealing with his own difficulties, adversity doesn't seem to have done the same for Märtha Louise.

We're of course not completely sure that Maud and Leah didn't receive a nudge from their mother (or future stepfather) to express their happiness about their relationship.

Durek has been talking. - That usually don't bode well...
On his Instagram account. Going live, answering questions.

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/i/699e2L/durek-verrett-om-kong-harald-han-lytter-til-meg
In this article he is quoted of saying:

"I love the King. I think he's wise and he is perfect at being the King of Norway."
"What I love about the King is that he listens to me. And we listen to each other.
The fact that he allows me space to talk, shows how fantastic he is."
"And that means a lot to me. Because they don't have to listen to me, but they do and that's beautiful." (The word is beautiful, not lovely or nice. In case you use Google.)

- But would he like to be king himself?
"And no, I don't want to be king. I don't want a title and be associated with the royal family in any other way than me getting married to Märtha."

- There are links to a lot of other articles about Durek in connection with this article.

Last edited:
I've no doubt he can be very charming, snake oil sales men/women usually are otherwise no one would buy their products and services. There is every reason to assume he's turned on the charm with everyone in ML's family. His former partners and former clients who spoke out did say he was very good at "love bombing" before turning nasty IIRC. Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors or the future trajectory of their relationship but it doesn't necessarily surprise me that her daughters may like him and obviously wish for their mother to be happy. Although I suspect there might be complicated feelings after everything that has happened in the last 3 years.

Harald and Haakon have been much more of the "we want her to be happy but we have to think of the Royal House." diplomatic approach, no real personal endorsement.

"I love the King. I think he's wise and he is perfect at being the King of Norway."

That just makes me laugh for some reason. What a compliment for a 31 year reign! ;)

"What I love about the King is that he listens to be. And we listen to each other.
The fact that he allows me space to talk, shows how fantastic he is."
"And that means a lot to me. Because they don't have to listen to me, but they do and that's beautiful." (The word is beautiful, not lovely or nice. In case you use Google.)

Something tells me the King does not get a word in edgeways and just lets it wash over him for the sake of peace.

It's interesting how they cite Verrett's "Norwegian" background. Wasn't that proved not to exist, or to only exist through a step-relationship? Can't remember right now.

This part is new to me. Does anyone have more information?

Martha Louise’s private life has long provided fodder for her homeland’s tabloids; in 1994 she was named as co-respondent in a divorce case by Irene Morris, a cashier in an Asda in Chester, who claimed the princess, a keen horsewoman, had been having an affair with her showjumper husband, Philip. She was spared an appearance in court only after lawyers acting for the King successfully argued she was entitled to diplomatic immunity.

This part is new to me. Does anyone have more information?

It's not new. I've heard that about ML and Harald pulling her out for a long time (this would be a "spoiling" example), but these would be the concrete details.

Edit: Given the UK still doesn't have no-fault divorce (I take it back; it's been legal in England and Wales since April. Who knew?), in 1994 ML was either not aware something like this could happen to her or didn't care.

Last edited:
Yes, that is old news, here is a TRF thread on it: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f115/martha-louise-affair-7266.html

I think it's a very good example of the lack of parenting skills of Harald and Sonja. I like them both, but I don't think they were tough enough with ML if she felt entitled to date a married man at such a young age. And more recent facts only seem to back that up. They seem the type to want to be friends with their children, not knowing that sometimes you have to be their "enemy" momentarily to keep them from making life-altering mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom