Princess Astrid Of Belgium Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Astrid is Paola's only daughter. She will leave properties to her issue. She has already bought a beautiful 17th vicarage in Fenffe for her grandchildren by Laurent & Claire. It seems natural to me that she leaves her little Art Déco Bandeau to her only daughter. Useful as collier and bracelet as well. But we will see.

Princess Astrid has worn the Savoy-Aosta tiara and necklace many, many times. Yet people keep repeating that these jewels are still owned by her mother-in-law, who eventually might leave them to her other children. Princess Astrid also has worn Queen Elisabeth's art deco bandeau once, and yet people keep repeating that she has received it as a gift. :bang: That doesn't make sense to me. The simple truth is, that it is not publicly known which of these jewels were gifts, which were loans.

Everything is a guess but I have understood it still is Archduchess Margherita holding the bulk of the properties (which she brought into the House of Österreich-Este, herself from a very wealthy royal family.)

Elisabetta has to represent her father-in-law's house, or her husband's house in someday I think? After all Amedeo will be the head of house of Austria-Este. And even though they are non-reigning house they still have to attend some tiara events (or they will be invited).

They will be invited to private events, yes, but I suspect that they will be invited as Prince and Princess Amedeo of Belgium. I am inclined to think that even if Princess Astrid had married a Belgian count her children would attend some private tiara events.

Everything is a guess but I have understood it still is Archduchess Margherita holding the bulk of the properties (which she brought into the House of Österreich-Este, herself from a very wealthy royal family.)

It surprises me that the House of Austria-Este doesn't have a larger jewel collection. I would imagine they should own several tiaras like many other former ruling families of Europe. Would the more knowledgeable members care to explain ?

They will be invited to private events, yes, but I suspect that they will be invited as Prince and Princess Amedeo of Belgium. I am inclined to think that even if Princess Astrid had married a Belgian count her children would attend some private tiara events.

Princess Astrid will keep attending white-tie state banquets in Belgium as long as her brother is king. Otherwise, the time for possible royal weddings or anniversaries to which she could be invited and where a tiara would be required is already mostly over for her, I'm afraid. One personal tiara is enough for her IMHO.

Her daughters and daughters-in-law on the other hand will not be invited to royal events. They may need a tiara for private events of aristocratic families, but those are increasingly rarer these days. Besides, Lorenz has his own career, as does Amedeo. If they think their wives need more jewelry, they should buy them some, rather than looking up to the already limited collection of the Belgian RF, especially when historic pieces like the Art Deco bandeau are involved.

Last edited:
I believe that Empress Zita claimed that her jewels were stolen (in Madeira?). Though IIRC a Hungarian gentleman in the sixties claimed that most were not stolen but dismantled & sold in Switzerland to finance Emperor Karl's activities in Hungary in 1921.

There was one large tiara left (has not been seen for decades, it is not unlikely that the piece was broken up and sold), and the empress still had her pearl necklace. But there were many children to inherit and Archduke Robert was only the second son. The jewels that were worn/owned by Archduchess Margherita all seem to come from her own family, not from the Habsburgs. The tiara that Archduchess Francesca wore at her wedding does come from her in-laws, as Archduchess Monika also wore it for her wedding. But it may be a piece from the Saxe-Meiningen's.

The Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida claims to have owned pearl drop earrings that have belonged to the late empress. They were sold at an auction in Geneva in 2013 and raised 2.3 million Euros for charity.

Queen Paola is free to do with the tiara as she pleases. Of course it would be nice if it stayed in the main line as the Belgian RF has already so little jewels. But remember that when -then- princess Paola received the tiara it was still rather likely that the piece would disappear from the main line, as Prince Albert was only the second son.

Last edited:
Princess Astrid will keep attending white-tie state banquets in Belgium as long as her brother is king. Otherwise, the time for possible royal weddings or anniversaries to which she could be invited and where a tiara would be required is already mostly over for her, I'm afraid. One personal tiara is enough for her IMHO.

Her daughters and daughters-in-law on the other hand will not be invited to royal events. They may need a tiara for private events of aristocratic families, but those are increasingly rarer these days. Besides, Lorenz has his own career, as does Amedeo. If they think their wives need more jewelry, they should buy them some, rather than looking up to the already limited collection of the Belgian RF, especially when historic pieces like the Art Deco bandeau are involved.

The Art Déco Bandeau is very versatile and can be worn as a collier or as bracelets. If there is a piece very useful for a modern-day royal with limited white tie events, then it is this one because Princess Astrid or her daughters can wear in alternative forms at black tie events and other befitting events.

See: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/9a/01/c5/9a01c5bd763a6859c04dc571694677e2--royal-tiaras-royal-jewels.jpg

And Marengo raised a good point: already in the 1950's this diadem left the main line when it was given to the bride of a junior son (it was not foreseen that the eldest son, Baudouin, would not have children). So already more than 60 years ago it was purposedly destined to leave the main royal family.

Last edited:
The Art Déco Bandeau is very versatile and can be worn as a collier or as bracelets. If there is a piece very useful for a modern-day royal with limited white tie events, then it is this one because Princess Astrid or her daughters can wear in alternative forms at black tie events and other befitting events.

See: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/9a/01/c5/9a01c5bd763a6859c04dc571694677e2--royal-tiaras-royal-jewels.jpg

And Marengo raised a good point: already in the 1950's this diadem left the main line when it was given to the bride of a junior son (it was not foreseen that the eldest son, Baudouin, would not have children). So already more than 60 years ago it was purposedly destined to leave the main royal family.

True, but, at that time, Queen Élisabeth still had her Cartier diamond tiara, which she left to Léopold, probably assuming it would then pass to Baudouin. She couldn't have foreseen that Princess Lilian would eventually sell her tiara.

The situation now is different as Paola has no other more significant tiara that can be passed to the current queen consort or her successor other than the Art Deco.

Last edited:
Queen Elisabeth should never give her Cartier tiara to King Leopold III , who never attend State Visit after 1960 .
In Argenteuil Castle King Leopold III and Princess Lilian had the Count of Flanders famous Odiot Silver service . They gave only ine official dinner for the 18 th birthday of Princess Marie Christine.
Princess Lilian wanted Royal Weddings for her Children..
The Odiot Service was sold for a very high amount in an Auction.

The greatest jewels worn by the Belgian Royals is the Aoste Emerald necklace which is a loan.
Princess Astrid owns only earrings and sometimes they are fake or from Chanel.

The Aosta jewels are owned by her mother in law?

Yes , She is still alive.
I don't know if Prince Lorenz will inherit the tiara and the necklace . He has 3 Siblings.

Interesting that Astrid has access to far better jewellery through her in-laws than her sister-in-law, the Queen consort!

When a Princess of Belgium, marries an Archduke of Austria Este ! the most glorious wedding in Europe.

Interesting that Astrid has access to far better jewellery through her in-laws than her sister-in-law, the Queen consort!

Even the Greek RF have a better jewel collection than the Belgian RF.

Its a shame that Princess Astrid's tiara events are too rare.

Not real stones , modern set.

I'm pretty sure they are real. The emeralds have the characteristic cloudy colour associated with Grade B and Grade A emeralds.

Glass, paste or another substitute would've been a lot more transparent in this pair of earrings.

According to Twitter, Princess Astrid wore the Savoy-Aosta Tiara,

Yes, she wore the Savoy Aosta with an brooch!

Astrid

Last edited:
Why did she wear a cape when it was so hot ? her unknown brooch is pinned on it !

Back
Top Bottom