Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did some reading up on what such a vessel is doing.

It's quite an important thing actually! Not least in the Netherlands which to a very large extent is a mix of a delta and huge areas that are dammed up.
In such a geography silting is big and constant issue.
So there is no chance Alexia's little sucker is going to have an idle life!

To put it simple: It's basically a big trawler that suck up silt and sand as it sails along. Instead of a net it trails a set of seriously powerful pumps over the seabed. A filter system prevents large objects from being sucked into the pumps, but if need be whatever large objects the pumps may encounter can be either bulldozed down or picked up.
Anyway, water is pumped overboard while the silt and sand and gravel is pumped into the hull to be off loaded somewhere else or used to fill up something inland.
The vessel basically "vacuum" a large area - and then it can start all over again. Because silt and sand is constantly brought along by the rivers and deposited on the Dutch coastline. - And that's how it's gonna by until the Rhine changes course or run dry, whatever. Which is unlikely to happen any millennium soon.

Not a particularly glamorous job, but for the Netherlands a pretty vital job. And if you are a crew member: Well, you pretty much got a job for life and can expect to be home every few days.

Princess Ariane apparently is visible in the pictures UWC Adriatic shared on Instagram of their introduction week. As I don't have an Instagram-account, I couldn't see them myself, but some others might be able to.

It seems that the school has removed the photo. The link on the website of RTL Boulevard seems not to be working. Perhaps the RVD contacted the school after the item was discussed on national television.

Muhler said:
Not a particularly glamorous job, but for the Netherlands a pretty vital job. And if you are a crew member: Well, you pretty much got a job for life and can expect to be home every few days.

It is very important indeed, to protect the country from flooding as well. These ships often place the sand in front of the coast, after which the beaches can broaden in a 'natural' way. Which in its turn can protect the Dunes, which are protecting the low lands behind it.

They often can be used abroad too, Boskalis is or was active in Dubai f.e.

In 2018 Queen Máxima baptised the Vox Amalia of Van Oord. Pss Amalia was not an adult yet and did not accompany her mother.

https://www.maritiemnederland.com/nieuws/koningin-maxima-doopt-van-oords-vox-amalia

In 2009 then Pss Máxima baptised a simular ship from the same company (Van Oord): the Vox Maxima.

-> I imagine the next ship will be a Vox Ariane.

In 2003 Queen Beatrix baptised a simular boat for Boskalis, which was called 'Prins der Nederlanden' and in 2002 Pss Margriet baptised a simular ship of IHC Holland, which would be active in the Yangtse River in China. So I suppose we can speak of a (family) tradition.

Last edited:
Last edited:
:flowers: :flowers:

Looking neat and so is the vessel.

Alexia certainly seems to be perfectly nice when she's in action. It's a shame that her photographic persona somehow gives off the opposite impression. Not in the sense of the gendered cliché, but it probably really would benefit her if she smiled more.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5lMZMyXEAABhwJ?format=jpg&name=large

She got to sit on the bridge, and you can see the resemblance to Amalia here.

And contrary to the jokes about how unglamorous this initially seemed to be, the shipping company is clearly doing quite well for itself (all that vital work) and was very happy to welcome her. Not everybody gets a band and champagne for their first event!

Last edited:
:previous: Alas, but it sure would be nice with a band and champagne on the first day on the job.

Alexia sure can't talk her way out of being a daughter of Queen maxima!
Her big sis, Amalia, looks quite bit more like her dad.

Alexia definitely resembles a redheaded version of her mom (especially around the mouth, I think) and her sisters definitely take after their dad's side, but you can also see how she can't explain away being Amalia's sister, there, either, which is a more unusual occurrence.

(And I say this as someone who has spent large stretches of time not looking like my own sister.)

She's a world famous pop-singer?!?

That explains a lot of things. She didn't go to school in UK, she went on a world tour.

I know King WA is moonlighting as an airline pilot. Never imagined him to be a country singer as well.
That family is full of surprises!

Now that I watch this video again, you can clearly tell this is King WA.

The Dutch boyband "Aantal jongens" has recorded a song for Princess Alexia to motivate her to study in Groningen.

It's one of the pictures taken during the photo session with the whole family.

She does give off the impression of being a fun kid and maybe the most self-confident of all three.

It would be lovely to get pictures of her in Italy, but I don’t suppose we’ll get one until she graduates.

She does give off the impression of being a fun kid and maybe the most self-confident of all three.

It would be lovely to get pictures of her in Italy, but I don’t suppose we’ll get one until she graduates.
This picture of Ariane in Italy was shared on her first day. Like you I expect the next picture will be next summer at the goodbye party.

© RVD / Z.M. de Koning

Back
Top Bottom