Prince Joachim of Belgium - News and Pictures, Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A second person who attended the party has tested positive on Corona. The Spanish minister Jesús Aguirre commented in a press conference yesterday that "this is his fault" and added that the prince should have stayed in quarantine.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/deta...it-aussi-contracte-le-coronavirus?id=10516392

https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/co...uin-belgica-cordoba-202006051228_noticia.html

---
ABC has written a profile on the girlfriend of the prince:

https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/co...rdoba&vli=noticia.foto.andalucia&vtm_loMas=si

She is a striking young lady-no doubt about it. Eminently suitable and "princess material" to the nth degree.;)

Newspaper HLN went published the family properties where the prince has been staying.

On Monday night the birthday was held at the Palace of Moratalla in Hornachuelos near Cordoba.

Later on he was at the family villa in Cordoba. The newspaper was only able to show a photo of the gate & trees surrounding the property.

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...lockdownfeestje-en-coronabesmetting~a9c19e48/

I didn't know Moratalla Palace belongs to Victoria's family. This family really is very interesting.

Last edited:
I also wonder whether Prince Joachim violated the quarantine law because he wanted to attend his girlfriend's birthday, but surely he could afford to simply depart Belgium two weeks earlier. His girlfriend's birthday falls on the same day every year...

Rules change all the time, so I'm not sure that both Belgium and Spain allowed travel between the countries two weeks earlier.

The second infection could very well be because of Joachim; and if that person didn't know that you are ill (and had no symptoms) I don't think he/she broke any rules. Unlike Joachim who was supposed to be in quarantine for 14 days after traveling to Spain.

Yes, you are right on both counts. Apparently the Spanish laws changed effective May 24 to allow travel to Spain from abroad for professional reasons. The restrictions that were effective through May 23 made only a few exceptions for professionals, such as health care providers. So if I have understood the laws correctly, Prince Joachim flew into Spain on the first day when he could use his internship to enter the country, which also happened to be the day before Victoria Ortiz's birthday.

Hopefully none of the people involved in recruiting the prince for the internship (as far as I can find out, they remain unidentified) were involved in arranging either of the two parties he attended, since his employer(s) must have been aware of the restrictions on professional travel. They would therefore know that May 24 was the earliest date possible of Prince Joachim's arrival in Spain and that he should not be invited to social gatherings on May 25 and 26.

I agree that Lorenz and Astrid might not have been fully aware of the Spanish rules; but I don't think they thought Joachim would fly to Spain on the day before his girlfriend's birthday and not meet her :flowers: - but again, I don't know whether they were aware of the quarantine requirement.

Most EU countries seem to have instituted some version of a quarantine requirement for foreign arrivals, but I would like to think that most would respect the requirement implemented to protect health and lives even if it meant missing their partner's birthday party and that most parents would assume their adult children would follow the requirement (which would unfortunately be the wrong assumption in this case).

A second person who attended the party has tested positive on Corona. The Spanish minister Jesús Aguirre commented in a press conference yesterday that "this is his fault" and added that the prince should have stayed in quarantine.

Sad that another person tested positive. I cannot blame the Spanish minister with what he said too.

According to this article, Montealto which is owned by Victoria's family is just 30km away from the very cite King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola had their honeymoon in the 1960's.

Pretty interesting.

I didn't know Moratalla Palace belongs to Victoria's family. This family really is very interesting.

Indeed.

Last edited:
[Wim Dehandschutter]
@WDehandschutter
Prins Joachim (28) krijgt een boete van ​10.400 euro in Spanje, zo vernam hij vandaag. Hij ging niet eerst 2 weken in quarantaine bij aankomst in Madrid maar reisde direct door naar Córdoba. "Een ernstig misdrijf tegen de wet voor de bescherming van de veiligheid van de burger."

Pepe Fernández
@Pepe_Fdez
Once mil euros, la multa al Príncipe Joaquin de Bélgica por saltarse el decreto del Estado de Alarma al asistir desde Belgica a una fiesta en #Cordoba. C/c @WDehandschutter"

"Prince Joachim (28) will be fined 10,400 euros in Spain, he learned today. He did not first quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival in Madrid, but immediately traveled to Córdoba. "A serious crime against the law for the protection of the security of the citizen.""

The Story is closed here in Belgium because it is Princess Astrid's Son.
Now he Has to pay as everybody ! Well done
The Dutch newspapers and reporters are much more informed as the French so thanks for sharing.

Have no sympathy for him and he might think twice next time.

€10,400 is a hefty fine.

:previous: I hope his parents do not cover the fine on his behalf, and will insist that he pay it out of his personal funds. If he doesn't have it he can work to pay it off.

It would teach Joachim a valuable lesson while he is young.

As it is, this messy story will accompany every article about him for the remainder of his life...his wedding, etc...perhaps even his obituary!:sad:

It is probably better for the Royal Family and even for Prince Joachim himself that the fine is hefty and made public. The public reaction would have deteriorated further if it appeared that the prince's royal status lightened the consequences of disobeying the quarantine rules and infecting at least one other individual.

We all make mistakes in life and Prince Joachim is human above all else.
Of course this story will haunt him forever.
But he's already apologized and he's going to pay a fine, so he deserves to move on with his life without ever talking about his mistake.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree 100%.

But I know that the press will always bring this up on the very rare occasions that he is in the news from now on.

That's just the way it works.:sad:

I read he only has to pay half of the fine if he pays within 15 days but that is still €5,200 (I'm sure someone can lend him the money temporarily)

Still it is clear he has been treated now as anyone else would.

It's a hefty fine for ordinary people, but it is a drop in the bucket for people who have access to that kind of wealth and privilege. It amounts to a slap on the wrist, really. First class airline tickets cost more than that in many cases, so I'd hardly call this fine much of a deterrent.

I'm not sure what sort of income he has but the Belgian RF are not short of a few €€€.

It's a hefty fine for ordinary people, but it is a drop in the bucket for people who have access to that kind of wealth and privilege. It amounts to a slap on the wrist, really. First class airline tickets cost more than that in many cases, so I'd hardly call this fine much of a deterrent.

I can imagine such a fine for Joachim is like paying extra for delivery to us ordinary folks. Annoying but can be done.

I think public embarassment must be the worst for him...

Yes and I hope the annoucement of his engagement will be soon ?

The biggest issue with Joachim was that he should have quarantined in Madrid for 14 days and THEN go to Córdoba, he shouldn't have moved between provinces because that was not allowed at the time (example: my sister lives in Logroño but hasn't been able to visit our mother in Donosti for the last THREE months because they are in different provinces of Spain, people couldn't move due to work reasons unless they were essential workers and Joachim didn't qualify for that).

Add that to the fact that there were COVID positives in the party and that they actually made up something to get him to Spain and it's a cocktail of bad things all over the place, I hope Victoria's family also get their just desserts because the job offer was a fake and it broke the quarantine laws.

BTW Joachim should have taken this like a man and make a public statement himself instead of hiding behind a lawyer or his parents, to me it shows he's a spoiled little prince who thinks he can just pay his way out of his faults.

The fines are pretty standard, they won't make them heftier for him because he's a royal/rich person.

Last edited:
That's the problem with fines. They are not based on one's personal wealth. Well to a certain extent they may be (if there is a range in possible fines). $10,000 to most people would be a painful blow financially. Like selling their car and taking a loan painful. For someone like Joachim he will likely not notice it missing from his trust fund any time soon.

A public apology by Joachim and some act of contrition might do better. Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.

The fake job to enter the country, the non-quarantine, the switching provinces..... he certainly didn't have one small slip.

Last edited:
That's the problem with fines. They are not based on one's personal wealth. Well to a certain extent they may be (if there is a range in possible fines). $10,000 to most people would be a painful blow financially. Like selling their car and taking a loan painful. For someone like Joachim he will likely not notice it missing from his trust fund any time soon.

A public apology by Joachim and some act of contrition might do better. Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.

The fake job to enter the country, the non-quarantine, the switching provinces..... he certainly didn't have one small slip.

I agree with you 100%, the fact that has rubbed me wrong the most after he was discovered is that he didn't have the guts to issue a public apology, to show his face.

He hid behind his lawyer and his parents instead.

It perhaps is dependent on the arrangements within the family. Given that both of his parents and three of his grandparents are living he may not yet have come into his portion of the family wealth. As illustrated in the published divorce judgment of his cousin Prince Louis of Luxembourg, there are members of royal families who are provided with easy access to first-class tickets and other privileges of wealth through the generosity of a parent or head of the family, but are not endowed with a great fortune themselves.

Add that to the fact that there were COVID positives in the party and that they actually made up something to get him to Spain and it's a cocktail of bad things all over the place, I hope Victoria's family also get their just desserts because the job offer was a fake and it broke the quarantine laws.

My understanding from the previous reports is that the local health officials suspect the guest who tested Covid-positive was infected by Prince Joachim.

The facts around the internship may certainly appear suspicious, but I have not seen a source with proof that the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family was the driving force behind it and/or that it was fraudulent. If a source does exist I would appreciate it being posted.

BTW Joachim should have taken this like a man and make a public statement himself instead of hiding behind a lawyer or his parents, to me it shows he's a spoiled little prince who thinks he can just pay his way out of his faults.

While issued through a lawyer, the apology was written in the first person and signed by him. Given that he was infectious with Covid-19 and supposed to be in quarantine I don't agree that a public appearance would have been desirable.

Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.

That would be a good idea to consider.

It perhaps is dependent on the arrangements within the family. Given that both of his parents and three of his grandparents are living he may not yet have come into his portion of the family wealth. As illustrated in the published divorce judgment of his cousin Prince Louis of Luxembourg, there are members of royal families who are provided with easy access to first-class tickets and other privileges of wealth through the generosity of a parent or head of the family, but are not endowed with a great fortune themselves.

My understanding from the previous reports is that the local health officials suspect the guest who tested Covid-positive was infected by Prince Joachim.

The facts around the internship may certainly appear suspicious, but I have not seen a source with proof that the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family was the driving force behind it and/or that it was fraudulent. If a source does exist I would appreciate it being posted.

While issued through a lawyer, the apology was written in the first person and signed by him. Given that he was infectious with Covid-19 and supposed to be in quarantine I don't agree that a public appearance would have been desirable.

That would be a good idea to consider.

Joachim could have issued a video with the apology.
In this day and era, it's inexcusable not to show your face, no matter the circumstances.

If elderly royals like Charles and the queen can sort out of how to use zoom to make appearances from the comfort of home, Joachim could have done so.

No one suggested a live press conference. A phone with a camera and internet connection would do just fine.

Joachim could have issued a video with the apology.
In this day and era, it's inexcusable not to show your face, no matter the circumstances.

No one suggested a live press conference. A phone with a camera and internet connection would do just fine.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed a press conference was what was referred to as "a public statement", since in my view a video filmed or livestreamed from a private home is no more public than a statement written in private and published publicly.

We will have to agree to disagree that "it's inexcusable not to show your face". I can't see how it would have altered the contents of the apology.

Last edited:
Hopefully Prince Joachim of Belgium will have learned from this,last thing the BRF need is second Prince Laurent.

The case of Prince Joachim closed

"Prince Joachim (28) paid the fine imposed on him by the Andalusian authorities in good time after violating the corona rules in Spain. Princess Astrid's son was given 2 weeks to appeal. He did not, Spanish media report. The file is classified."

While Lorenz might still prefer royal or noble partners for his children, I wouldn't be surprised if it is considered more important for his sons who are to continue the Habsburg-Este line than for his daughters. Nonetheless, his younger son has a commoner girlfriend (from a rich and prestigious Spanish family but still commoners).

Apparently, there has been speculation in the Spanish press that Prince Joachim has separated from Victoria Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera given that she did not accompany him to the weddings of his cousins Princesses Anunciata and Astrid of Liechtenstein last year. Of course, if they have separated, it is surely unrelated to her family background.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom