Prince Antonio, Princess Christine and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the guests wore kilts.

Foreign Royals who attended:

Almost everyone from the Princely Family of Ligne, The Duke and Duchess of Braganza with their three children, Archduchess Alexandra of Austria and her husband, Ambassador Héctor Riesle, Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, Prince and Princess Casimir of the Two-Sicilies and their sons Prince Luis Alfonso and Father Prince Alessandro of the Two-Sicilias, who concelebrated the wedding, together with Father Jorge Luiz das Neves.

Members of the Families of the Marquises of Garrigues, Marquises of San Saturnino de la Granja, Counts of Stolberg, Counts of Nicolaÿ, Counts d'Ursel de Bousies also attended, as well as lot of British aristocrats.

His Holiness The Pope sent his personal blessing to the couple.

Experts are saying it was the greatest wedding ceremony held in Brazil since the Empire, in the 19th century.

Last edited:
D. Isabel of Braganza was with which of the children to the wedding?

I apologize for asking, but isn't Mr Spearman Protestant ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for asking, but isn't Mr Spearman Protestant ?

No, he's catholic. Aparently, he, his parents and brothers are the Catholic "branch" of the family.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Couple!. Aren't there any more pictures?

Do you think they'll release more pics? An official picture, perhaps? Could it be covered by any magazine?

I am still waiting for more pictures to write a post about wedding in my blog)

Congratulations to the happy couple!

I am surprised that there was hardly media coveraged. Are the people in Brazil not interested, or did the family want it so private?

I wonder if the wedding tiara was a jewel from the groom's family. There is no known tiara left in the Orleans-Braganza family. They used to own a lovely diamond bow tiara. But it was sold several years ago.

Do you think they'll release more pics? An official picture, perhaps? Could it be covered by any magazine?

It's quite possible they'll release some more pictures later. As for magazine coverage, maybe Caras, but certainly Herdeiros do Porvir, the monarchist journal.

I wish she hadn't married a commoner.

So do I.

Her siblings are the hope now. People are saying only Prince Rafael would be allowed to marry a commoner and keep his right, for obvious reasons. No one wants the Headship of the Imperial House to go to the Lignes.

Currently, Prince Rafael is dating a commoner girl, but is has been said he'll not go further with the relationship, because he promised at his older brother's funeral to keep with the Family traditions and values.

And some people say that Princess Maria Gabriela is or was in a relationship with her cousin, Count Guy of Nicolaÿ.

I am surprised that there was hardly media coveraged. Are the people in Brazil not interested, or did the family want it so private?

The Imperial Family wanted to keep it as private as possible, because it was not a dynastic wedding, but the monarchists showed a lot of interest.

The big media outlets do not like to broadcast news about the Imperial Family, but columnist from very important papers wrote about it. In general, brazilian people have some curiosity about the Imperial Family.

I wonder if the wedding tiara was a jewel from the groom's family. There is no known tiara left in the Orleans-Braganza family. They used to own a lovely diamond bow tiara. But it was sold several years ago.

It may be a Spearman family tiara, but it can also be a tiara Prince Antonio and Princess Christine bought for their daughters, eventual daughter-in-law and descendants.

Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria sold her tiara in the seventies, in order to pay for the education of their younger children.

Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria sold her tiara in the seventies, in order to pay for the education of their younger children.
They sold the tiara already in the seventies??? I thought that Princess Maria Teresa wore it at her wedding to Jan Hessel de Jong in 1995? Or are you we talking about different tiaras?

They sold the tiara already in the seventies??? I thought that Princess Maria Teresa wore it at her wedding to Jan Hessel de Jong in 1995? Or are you we talking about different tiaras?

You're right. There are two different stories about this tiara, the one I told and other that says it was sold in the 2000's in order to pay for Princess Maria's very expensive medical treatment.

Princess Maria Thereza definitely wore it at the wedding, I remember it. So now I think the second story is the true one.

What Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria sold in the seventies were his watercolors and her Bavarian porcelain.

Last edited:
...No one wants the Headship of the Imperial House to go to the Lignes...
I don't understand this sentence. Prince Antônio de Orléans e Bragança married Princess Christine de Ligne. He has four children, two sons and two daughters. (One died). As children of Prince Antônio they are not princes (princesses) De Ligne. In my understanding the headship of the House can not go to the De Lignes as the successors of Prince Antônio bear his surname and are princes (princesses) of the House De Orléans e Bragança?

I was talking about a situation where both of Prince Antonio's remaining dynastic children renounce their rights. In such scenario, the Headship of the Imperial House would eventually go to the Princess of Ligne (née Princess Eleonora of Brazil) and her children and descendants.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2411943.html

The above link contains photos from the wedding of Princess Amélia of Orleans-Braganza and Mr Alexander James Spearman.
It is quite surprising that Princess Amelia decided to marry a commoner.

Mr Alexander James Spearman indeed is technically a commoner but his direct paternal lineages are Spearman (Baronets) and Ward (Baronets), both families with great positions in society as army commanders, lords justice, politicians, etc. So the groom is "not from the street" so to say.

:flowers:

I was talking about a situation where both of Prince Antonio's remaining dynastic children renounce their rights. In such scenario, the Headship of the Imperial House would eventually go to the Princess of Ligne (née Princess Eleonora of Brazil) and her children and descendants.

I see, I stand corrected. Anyway, Prince Rafael still is unmarried and can very well chose a lady "befitting his rank and dignity". Let us wait and see...

So do I.

Her siblings are the hope now. People are saying only Prince Rafael would be allowed to marry a commoner and keep his right, for obvious reasons. No one wants the Headship of the Imperial House to go to the Lignes.

But he is only a commoner because of the system in the UK. In other countries he would also be noble himself. But i think for the Imperial Family this would have been a to low noble rank. I think in such cases the Imperial Family should be not as strict and allow the Princess to keep her succession rights.

But he is only a commoner because of the system in the UK. In other countries he would also be noble himself. But i think for the Imperial Family this would have been a to low noble rank. I think in such cases the Imperial Family should be not as strict and allow the Princess to keep her succession rights.

I agree with you.

The Imperial House would accept one of the Princesses as Lady Spearman, but never as Mrs. Spearman. It sounds elitist (and it is, depending on the point of view), but it's the Imperial Family's tradition and I respect them.

But I doubt the Head of the Imperial House will allow Prince Rafael renounce his rights, even if he wants to marry his commoner girlfriend.

Last edited:
Mr Alexander James Spearman indeed is technically a commoner but his direct paternal lineages are Spearman (Baronets) and Ward (Baronets), both families with great positions in society as army commanders, lords justice, politicians, etc. So the groom is "not from the street" so to say.

I was aware of the fact that Mr Spearman comes from the noble family. However, a Baronet is a definite mésalliance for a Princess. When Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria married Count Rodolphe de Limburg Stirum, some royal watchers lamented the fact that Princesses were forced to marry mere aristocrats in these days.

Last edited:
Hm, the Counts van Limburg-Stirum form one of the eldest noble dynasties in Europe and were Reichsunmittelbar (Imperial immediate) since the 13th (!) Century, meaning that they not only belong to the so-called Uradel (most ancient nobility) but also were free from the authority of any local lord and placed under the direct ('immediate') authority of the Holy Roman Emperor or the Imperial Diet. Due to this Reichsunmittelbarkeit they have enjoyed a dynastic sovereign status for more than 600 years.

Don't be fooled by the title only. It is the anciennity and the sovereignity which counts. The family Van Limburg Stirum enjoys high prestige amongst the Gotha. Archduchess Marie Christine could have chosen worse(r) partners than Count Rodolphe. Her brothers simply did marry commoners anyway.

Last edited:
Archduchess Marie Christine dated Princess Amélia's late brother, Prince Pedro Luiz. The relationship was encouraged by their mothers, who are first cousins.

She could have married the future Head of the Imperial House of Brazil.

It would have been a good match but in my opinion they are much to close related.

It would have been a good match but in my opinion they are much to close related.

Her sister, the beautiful Archduchess Marie Gabrielle still is free... but the relationship would not be thát close, bride and groom are second cousins then, sharing a Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg and Prince Félix de Bourbon de Parme as great-grandparents.

Picture: https://royalhats.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2013-09-21-lux-wedding-gabriella1.jpg?w=298&h=500

Relationship between Prince Rafael and Archduchess Marie Gabrielle:

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau
x Prince Félix de Bourbon de Parme
= Jean

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau
x Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium
= Marie-Astrid

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau
x Archduke Carl Christian of Austria-Lorraine
= Marie Gabrielle

Archduchess Marie Gabrielle of Austria-Lorraine

---------------------------------------------------

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau

x Prince Félix de Bourbon de Parme
= Marie-Alix

Princess Marie-Alix of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau
x Prince Antoine de Ligne, 13th Prince de Ligne
= Christine

Princess Christine de Ligne
x Prince Antônio de Orléans e Bragança
= Rafael

Prince Rafael de Orléans e Bragança

Last edited:
I agree, 2nd cousin is a pretty close relationship. Besides, there's no use to cry over spilled milk. Marie Christine chose differently and from what I see her marriage is a happy one. And her sister really is still very young.

I just hope that the pressure to marry equally does not prevent Dom Rafael from marrying at all. I'm not saying that it is impossible to find your significant other within a restricted group of people. But there's no guarantee either.

Back
Top Bottom