Palaces and Chateaux

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exterior view of the Palais Royale in Paris, France
http://www.maryevans.com/history/10455471

It was originally the residence of Cardinal Richelieu and after him it was given to Anne of Austria ,the mother of Louis XIV and Queen Regent of France. It then became known as the Palais-Royal.
Queen Henrietta Maria and her daughter also later resided here and after that became the Parisian residence of Philippe de France, duc d'Orléans.
In the 18tyh Century the Regent Philippe d'Orléans resided here as did his son Duke of Orléans until his arrest in 1793 and later execution.
The Palais-Royal under Anne of Austria
640px-Moliere_Palais-Royal.jpg

Which French palaces were the favorite palaces of Emperor Napoleon I?

The now destroyed Château de Montceaux or Château de Meaux outside Paris.

640px-Chateau_de_Montceaux.jpg

It was given to Catherine de Médicis in 1556 by her husband Henri II . Catherine employed Philibert Delorme to redesign the residence.
It was a favoured residence of the queen and was used up until the foiled Huguenot plot to capture Queen Regent and her son Charles IX during the Surprise de Meaux of 1567.
Following the death of Catherine in 1589 it was later given to Gabrielle d'Estrées and later to Marie de Medici and the Prince de Conti.
It was confiscated in 1793 and ransacked and then sadly demolished in 1798.

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Montceaux

Catherine and Charles leaving Meaux in 1567 during the foiled Huguenot plot
Charles_IX_attaqu%C3%A9_par_les_calvinistes_%C3%A0_Meaux.jpg

A few months ago I discovered this YouTube video below on this property that is not for sale but is now a former castle converted into a multi-use complex as a museum, hotel and owner residence.

I love architecture and even used Google maps to look at it from the satellite settings and was amazed by the restoration done by Jaques Garcia, who had to sell his two Paris hotels to acquire the property when it was put for sale. The only thing I dislike is the excessive use of taxidermy, I hate anything that glorifies hunting animals for display in homes. But the rest of the property is magnificent.

Another thing, I got a surprise for my birthday last week: the actual oversize book on the restoration, first and only print in French! Was not available anywhere but Amazon UK. It's so heavy I use a laptop table to look at it, daily, because you can't keep it on your lap for too long since it's immense and heavy as if made of bricks.

Here's the video that caught my eye on this legendary place restored by Jaques Garcia

Emperor Napoleon III of France's apartment in the Louvre in Paris, France

The 800 year old history of the Louvre from Royal Castle to Palace to Museum.

Back
Top Bottom