Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
190px-Arms_of_the_Most_Noble_Order_of_the_Garter.svg.png

Arms of the Most Noble Order of the Garter

Welcome to Thread Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information, Part 2

Commencing September 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Next year’s Garter Day is going to be a special one I think, especially if it takes place just after the coronation.

Is it appropriate to speculate here about who may receive it next or should that be elsewhere? The only senior working member of the royal family who doesn’t have it right now is Catherine and it would be very special for her to be among the first to have it granted by King Charles.

He probably does. Most people would feel a bit silly walking around in medieval attire. Those hats do look a bit comical, tradition or no!

It is tradition to wear these clothes. And traditions must be preserved.

King Charles III may invite King Philippe of the Belgians and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and give them endly the Order of the Garter .

King Charles III may invite King Philippe of the Belgians and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and give them endly the Order of the Garter .

I am pretty sure King Charles III would be glad to do that, but who gets invited to a state visit depends on the UK government and I suspect Belgium and Luxembourg are not priorities right now.

Going by tradition, however, the new monarch should visit his more senior colleagues first before they visit him. So it would make sense for King Philippe to invite King Charles III first to visit Belgium. King Philippe is somewhat unique among his peers in the sense that, not only does he not have the Garter, but actually he doesn’t have any British order. If King Charles III made an outgoing visit to Belgium first, I don’t think he would award King Philippe the order of the Garter right away. Probably King Philippe would be made a GCVO first and perhaps be additionally bestowed the Royal Victorian Chain , before being made a KG, which would happen only at a future incoming Belgian state visit to the UK..

But it is a new reign and protocol may change. See for example how the Queen Consort did away with Ladies in Waiting.

Next year’s Garter Day is going to be a special one I think, especially if it takes place just after the coronation.

Is it appropriate to speculate here about who may receive it next or should that be elsewhere? The only senior working member of the royal family who doesn’t have it right now is Catherine and it would be very special for her to be among the first to have it granted by King Charles.

Sophie doesn't have the Garter either although married-ins normally don't get it other than future consorts. Camilla only got it this year so I am not sure that it is time for Catherine yet. Actually The late Queen giving it to Camilla was a break with tradition as Edward VII, George V and George VI all gave it to their wives when they became Kings. George VI gave it to Philip just before his wedding day rather than make him wait until he became the consort.

Sophie doesn't have the Garter either although married-ins normally don't get it other than future consorts. Camilla only got it this year so I am not sure that it is time for Catherine yet. Actually The late Queen giving it to Camilla was a break with tradition as Edward VII, George V and George VI all gave it to their wives when they became Kings. George VI gave it to Philip just before his wedding day rather than make him wait until he became the consort.

I would normally agree that it would take time for Catherine but there’s a lot on her in terms of continuity of the monarchy plus, I would think that in other circumstances, Charles might have granted it to The Duke of Sussex, but that would be tough to do at present.

Either way, I really am looking forward to seeing who gets this huge honor in the first year of the new reign.

I would normally agree that it would take time for Catherine but there’s a lot on her in terms of continuity of the monarchy plus, I would think that in other circumstances, Charles might have granted it to The Duke of Sussex, but that would be tough to do at present.

Either way, I really am looking forward to seeing who gets this huge honor in the first year of the new reign.

I would not expect Sophie or Catherine to get the Garter in the first year of the King's reign.

I doubt any royals will be installed next year… The Duke of Sussex could have been, but i really can’t imagine that as long as the situation is what it is….

I could be wrong but i don’t think it is Catherine’s turn just yet…

I am more curious to see wich non-royals will be installed and how many… QEII installed 2 persons at a time but there is 5 vacancies right now among the 24-person limit category of non-royal Knight/Lady Companions…. Every Duke of Norfolk has recived it in time for the coronations so that’s definitely a possibility… I would also expect a new Field Marshal to be appointed since the death of The Lord Inge earlier this year…

I doubt any royals will be installed next year… The Duke of Sussex could have been, but i really can’t imagine that as long as the situation is what it is….

I could be wrong but i don’t think it is Catherine’s turn just yet…

I am more curious to see wich non-royals will be installed and how many… QEII installed 2 persons at a time but there is 5 vacancies right now among the 24-person limit category of non-royal Knight/Lady Companions…. Every Duke of Norfolk has recived it in time for the coronations so that’s definitely a possibility… I would also expect a new Field Marshal to be appointed since the death of The Lord Inge earlier this year…

The next former PM in line to be admittted into the Order of the Garter is Gordon Brown, but, since he is Scottish, he may be admitted into the Order of the Thistle instead (or both?).

I also think the Duke of Norfolk is a likely candidate because of the upcoming coronation.

The next former PM in line to be admittted into the Order of the Garter is Gordon Brown, but, since he is Scottish, he may be admitted into the Order of the Thistle instead (or both?).

I also think the Duke of Norfolk is a likely candidate because of the upcoming coronation.

It’s definitely possible that Brown will get the Order of the Thistle instead, like the other scottish P.M Alec Douglas-Home did… There is currently one vacancy among the 16 persons limit category of non-royal Knights/Ladies (after Alec’s son David Douglas-Home actually) so i wonder if that will go to Brown ��

His Majesty The King has been graciously pleased to appoint the Right Honourable the Baroness Ashton of Upholland GCMG to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Right Honourable the Lord Patten of Barnes CH to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
New appointments to the Order of the Garter | The Royal Family

Last edited:
His Majesty The King has been graciously pleased to appoint the Right Honourable the Baroness Ashton of Upholland GCMG to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Right Honourable the Lord Patten of Barnes CH to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
New appointments to the Order of the Garter | The Royal Family

Unexpected appointments to be honest, especially Catherine Ashton, a former Labour politician who had a very controversial tenure as the EU's first High Representative for Foreign Affairs and was also a European Commissioner for Trade and Vice-President of the European Commission. It looks like an unusually political appointment for the Order of the Garter, at least in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for providing some background. What did Lord Patten do to deserve this honor?

From an article in the Telegraph:

Lord Patten was first elected as an MP in 1979 and served across government for more than two decades, including as secretary of state for the environment and chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster, as well as Conservative Party chairman.

He also led the Independent Commission on Policing for Northern Ireland and served as European commissioner for external relations from 1999 to 2004, and was chairman of the BBC Trust between 2011 and 2014.

Baroness Ashton served as parliamentary under-secretary of state in the Department for Education and the Ministry of Justice between 1999 and 2007.

She also served as leader of the House of Lords, as well as diplomatic roles including British European commissioner and commissioner for trade in the European Commission, vice-president of the European Commission and as the EU’s first high representative of the union for foreign affairs and security policy.

She contributed towards negotiating a peace settlement between Serbia and Kosovo, and bringing about the Iran nuclear agreement.

Unexpected appointments to be honest, especially Catherine Ashton, a former Labour politician who had a very controversial tenure as the EU's first High Representative for Foreign Affairs and was also a European Commissioner for Trade and Vice-President of the European Commission. It looks like an unusually political appointment for the Order of the Garter, at least in my humble opinion.

Many Garter Knights are former Labour or Tory politicians… By appointing one of each, Charles eliminates the risk of being seen as partial…

But i was surprised that the Duke of Norfolk was not appointed… Previous Norfolk’s have usually been appointed in time for the coronations…But he was made a GCVO last year in the Platinum Jubilee Honours so Charles maybe felt that was enough

Last edited:
What are the criteria to becoming Knight/Lady of the Garter?

The official criteria is
The knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign to honour those who have held public office, who have contributed in a particular way to national life or who have served the Sovereign personally. The Order is limited to 24 members.

https://honours.cabinetoffice.gov.u... Order of the Garter,is limited to 24 members.

In addition the sovereign may appoint Royal Knights and Ladies of the Garter who are usually senior “working royals” plus Stranger Knights and Ladies of the Garter who are foreign monarchs (in reality usually only from Europe and Japan)- people in these two groups don’t count towards the 24 members.

Last edited:
Four new members, including the Duchess of Gloucester, and some appointments to other orders:

His Majesty The King has been graciously pleased to appoint four new Companions to the Order of the Garter. The Companions are:

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Gloucester, GCVO, DStJ, CD, to be a Royal Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Air Chief Marshal the Lord Peach, GBE, KCB, DL, to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

The Right Honourable the Lord Kakkar, KBE, to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

The Lord Lloyd-Webber to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Last edited:
Very nice to see The Duchess of Gloucester included after all these decades of service.

Being a fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber- I like seeing this one too.

Air Chief Marshal Lord Peach was also a surprise as the RAF already have one Garter Knight (Lord Stirrup) while there is noone from the Army since the death of Lord Inge, or from the Navy since the death of Lord Boyce

I guess that the next, considering time of service to the monarch, is the Duchess of Edinburgh, right?

Such a lovely tribute to the Duchess of Gloucester! I am glad that Charles is recognizing various family members for their service - in different ways.

I guess that the next, considering time of service to the monarch, is the Duchess of Edinburgh, right?
That is possible, but it’s up to the King.

The former Duchess of Gloucester, recived the Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath as the first female ever, so the Gloucester’s have always got a little special treatment when it comes to royal orders…. and rightfully so i think. Both the current and the former Gloucester’s were loyal work horses for a very long time.

Absolutely delighted for the Duchess of Gloucester! It's wonderful to see Charles recognizing and honoring the work of his cousin-in-law.

Back
Top Bottom