Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Radu Duda also mentioned that King Carol I of Romania was related to the Belgian royal family via his sister Princess Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. She would marry Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders.

From Nicolas to Amedeo

Nicholas of Romania
=
Princess Elena of Romania x Robin Medforth Mills

Elena of Romania
=
King Michael of Romania x Princess Anne de Bourbon de Parme

Michael of Romania
=
King Carol II of Romania x Princess Elena of Greece and Denmark

Carol II of Romania
=
King Ferdinand I of Romania x Princess Marie of Edinburgh

Ferdinand I of Romania
=
Prince Leopold von Hohenzollern x Infanta Antônia of Portugal, Princess de Bragança

Leopold von Hohenzollern
=
Prince Karl Anton von Hohenzollern x Princess Josephine von Baden
=
Marie von Hohenzollern

Princess Marie von Hohenzollern x Prince Philippe of Belgium
=
Albert of Belgium

King Albert II of Belgium x Princess Elisabeth in Bavaria
=
Leopold

King Leopold III of the Belgians x Princess Astrid of Sweden
=
Albert

King Albert II of the Belgians x Donna Paola dei principi Ruffo di Calabria
=
Astrid

Princess Astrid of Belgium x Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este
=
Amedeo

Thanks, I hope you will do the same for all the to-days guests related since 5 generations.

Thanks Duc et Pair, interesting details. Maria-Olivia, This forum is about Romanian Royals, so it is not really necessary to give masses of information about the other Royal guests from other countries who attended the wedding That can be found on other sites and fora if you are so interested, or you could provide it yourself.

I think he would make both a good King and a good representative for the Romanian people. Everything I read about him seems to indicate that, like his aunt, he connects with the people.

Let's hope he will marry a German Princess and becomes a wonderful father.

Let's hope he will marry a German Princess and becomes a wonderful father.

I know that traditionally a Romanian royal wasn't allowed to marry Romanian nationals but what other rules concerning marriage did the royal family have?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I know that traditionally a Romanian royal wasn't allowed to marry Romanian nationals but what other rules concerning marriage did the royal family have?

They didn't..??? that's ridiculous! Who came up with these rules? How did they otherwise expect the imported dynasty to be nativized?

They didn't..??? that's ridiculous! Who came up with these rules? How did they otherwise expect the imported dynasty to be nativized?

I think that was put in place to ensure that no important family became too powerful. It was the only way that the various feuding politicians of the time could agree on a ruler

All the marriage with Romanians were less popular than the other starting with those of the two srviving sons of Ferdinand I.

The Danube principalities as it was called then was for a long time ruled by the powerful boyar families or the Greek Phanariote families in a corrupt system where the Ottomans sold control of the land to the highest bidder. To ensure a stable development of the newly independent country it was decided to keep the indigenous noble clans from the throne.
One direct consequence of this is the Zizi Lambrino affair where as a Romanian she couldn't legally marry Prince Carol.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I just wish the Romania government would do the right thing and restore the Royal Family while King Michael is still alive. The Crown Princess has worked for Romania her entire adult life and Prince Nicholas continues to impress. If any family deserves to be restored it is this one. They could represent Romania in a wonderful way without the taint of politics.

It's not just the government though, or the family itself.

It's not entirely about whether or not the government wants to restore a monarchy or if the family is deserving, although both can come into play. It's ultimately about whether or not the people want a monarchy, and in Romania they don't. I think the most recent polls put them at 30% in favour of a restoration.

I just wish the Romania government would do the right thing and restore the Royal Family while King Michael is still alive. The Crown Princess has worked for Romania her entire adult life and Prince Nicholas continues to impress. If any family deserves to be restored it is this one. They could represent Romania in a wonderful way without the taint of politics.

My sentiments, entirely. My fears are that with the King's advancing years, the chances grow slimmer that this will happen and after his passing the hornet's nest of the queston of the succession is not going to help. However, I have not given up hope that future constitutional reform may lead to some form of "crowned republic" in which a constitutionally recognised King (or Queen) of the Romanians, performing a purely symbolic and ceremonial role could co-exist with an elected President of the Romanian State.

My sentiments, entirely. My fears are that with the King's advancing years, the chances grow slimmer that this will happen and after his passing the hornet's nest of the queston of the succession is not going to help. However, I have not given up hope that future constitutional reform may lead to some form of "crowned republic" in which a constitutionally recognised King (or Queen) of the Romanians, performing a purely symbolic and ceremonial role could co-exist with an elected President of the Romanian State.

Isn't that what Romania already is?

King Michael lives in his Royal Palace by government legislation; has a staff (which have "His Majesty" in their email auto-signatures); is a prominent and beloved public figure; has served in official roles for Romania (such as touring Western Europe to help Romania's bid to join Nato); has a Royal Family that takes official trips on behalf of Romania; and even, if I recall right, has the Royal Family mentioned in the Constitution.

It seems like the only thing missing is something officially designating him as King of Romania.

Isn't that what Romania already is?

King Michael lives in his Royal Palace by government legislation; has a staff (which have "His Majesty" in their email auto-signatures); is a prominent and beloved public figure; has served in official roles for Romania (such as touring Western Europe to help Romania's bid to join Nato); has a Royal Family that takes official trips on behalf of Romania; and even, if I recall right, has the Royal Family mentioned in the Constitution.

It seems like the only thing missing is something officially designating him as King of Romania.

Indeed, Csenyc, although the situation is primarily linked to HM the King in person and what the situation will be when King Michael is no longer with us is less sure. With this in mind, I am heartened immensely by the recognition given and respect shown to Princess Margareta and Prince Nicolae by various government institutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current constitution of Romania does not, as far as I can see, make any reference to the Royal House. So while Prince Nicholas is setting down firm foundations as a future Head of the Royal House, and King Michael is treated with a certain amount of honour and respect by the government, there is no constitutional recognition.

I wonder if there will really be any fuss about the succession when King Michael dies. Princess Margarita and Prince Nicholas seem to have the popular recognition as the King's heirs, so are the niceties of the 1923 constitution, which was abrogated in 1947, really going to be such an issue? I think it would be wonderful to see a restoration in 2017. Just imagine, 90 years after his first reign began, Michael is proclaimed King for the third time, with Princess Margarita and Prince Nicholas as his heirs.

I could see a fuss being made about the succession after Michael's death.

I think it'll really depend on the people who have a claim and the presence of monarchism in Romania at the time.

If Margarita is recognized as a viable successor then it makes no sense for the succession to bypass Nicholas' mother. So there could be a dispute there, depending on the family relations. There could also be a dispute between Margarita and Nicholas, depending on who monarchist groups in Romania want to be the heir. Nicholas, as a younger individual who could have children in the future, makes a better looking candidate (although not necessarily a better one).

There are also other contenders. Paul Hohenzollern may not have much support now, but that could change once Michael dies. Likewise, the next person in the line of succession under the old rules (I can't remember his name right now) may be claiming that he doesn't want the position now... But he could change his tune after Michael's passing. Or he could die before Michael and be succeeded by someone who does want the position.

Yes, I can imagine rumblings in some quarters. But I get the impression that Margarita and Nicholas have consolidated their public role as heirs to King Michael to such a degree that a sudden about face from some man in Germany would be met by bemusement in Romania. This impression is based on the way I have seen the Royal Family reported in the Romanian media, and the seemingly natural acceptance of Margarita and Nicholas as the King's heirs.

But, of course, I am relying on random articles in translation, and TV reports in a language I do not understand, so I could be completely wrong (as often I am). I don't know the intricacies of Romanian politics, and what, if any, legacies remain from the dark days of communist intrigue. I probably also underestimate the trouble Mr Paul Hohenzollern could cause; he and his wife are such jokes that I cannot take them seriously. But he could, of course, pursue his own cause, or be manipulated by other political forces, to undermine a possible restoration. So, yes, things may not be as simple as I would like to think. But still, I hope that the example of duty, service and loyalty set my King Michael, and the respect in which he is held, will help smooth the way for the general acceptance of the succession according to King Michael’s wishes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom