Names for the next Prince/Princess of Belgium

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really stumped on a girl's name because of the "el" pattern that this family has developed. Elisha follows the pattern and is also hebrew as are the other children's names. But possibly to similar to Elisabeth. I can also think of Danielle. As for the boy names: Daniel, Samuel, Elijah. I also think Jean, Philippe, and Albert are strong possibilities for the middle names!

Just to comment about the previous few posts on godparents. The Belgian royals have always stayed close to the family when choosing godparents for their children so I would expect for that to happen again. Therefore I very much doubt that Letizia or Mary would ever be chosen. I think there is only a small chance for Maxima to be chosen.

For a boy:
For a girl:
Christine Marie Mathilde Paola
Madeleine Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Caroline Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Amélie Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Charlotte Paola Mathilde Marie
Marie Christine Paola Mathilde
I don't think we will see "Christine" since that is the name of King Albert's "evil" half-sister. We can count on "Marie" being one of the four names. (Elisabeth Therese Marie Helene; Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie; Emmanuel Leopold Guillaume François Marie)

Doesn't every member of the Belgian Royal Family have the name "Marie" as part of their name?

Since the other names of the children of Phillipe and Mathilde all have a religious meaning I expect the next child will have one too.

How about Princess Orpah?

I believe if it is a baby girl her first name will be Astrid. :)
If it is a boy probably will be Baudoin

Usually the forth children are always the prettiest among their brothers/sisters :rolleyes: so I think we'll have a super-hyper pretty baby royal.

I agree with you Myriam! These names are very suitable for the new royal baby. I read an article before Elisabeth was born, and in this article Philipe and Mathilde mentioned these names. But in the end Elisabeth didn't get the name Astrid.

How about Princess Orpah?

At first I thought you said Princess Oprah :lol:

Then again, Oprah Winfrey is one of the most powerful women in the world.....

For a boy : Baudoin
For a girl : Fabiola or Astrid

For a princess: Christine Alix Ghislaine Marie :wub:

For a prince: David Albert Louis Marie :)

I dont know a lot about the Royal family but following their preference for Biblical names, I like the following:

Rebekah Astrid Sarah Anna Marie
Isaac Abraham Noah David Marie

For a boy:
Albert Philippe Jean Alexandre
Nathaniel Albert Philippe Jean
Alexandre Albert Philippe Jean

For a girl:
Christine Marie Mathilde Paola
Madeleine Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Caroline Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Amélie Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Charlotte Paola Mathilde Marie
Marie Christine Paola Mathilde

:flowers:
I loved the name Christine Marie Mathilde Paola.........:flowers:

Prince Nathaniel Jacob Albert Marie

Princess Charlotte Astrid Alix Marie

Princess

For the first name , it think it could be :

Anna , Hannah , Judith , Ruth , Sophie or Marie

for the other names : Paola Anne Maria Josephine , Henriette , Astrid ,
Louise

Prince

for the first name :

Samuel , Simon , Alexander , Lucas , Matthias

other names : Albert Maria Patrick Filip

My favorites are :

Anne-Sophie Maria Josephine Astrid

Samuel Albert Maria

I think there are no many choices among royals. It´s always Charlotte, Alexandra, Victoria, Sophie, Elizabeth. I hope they surprise me as they did with their boys.

I like the continuation of Biblical themed names,

For a girl I love

Madeleine
OR
Anna

HRH Princess Madeleine Charlotte Astrid Marie
HRH Princess Anna Mathilde Sophie Marie

For a boy I love

Samuel
OR
Matthew (perhaps a different spelling in Belgium)

HRH Prince Samuel George Albert Marie
HRH Prince Matthew Philipppe Albert Marie

Matthew is an English name, so very little chance that's what they'll choose. A Dutch and French variant is Matthias, a very current name in Belgium.

I think Matthias means Matthew in French, Dutch and German, I am i right or wrong?, some one please correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited:
If she were to have a boy I'd choose:

Ken Alvin Toby Bartholomew

And if she had a girl I'd name her:

Marilyn Roxanne Jenny Jossete Rose

I hope Mathilde has a wonderful time choosing his or her name. I'm sure the name will be great. Can't wait for the birth. Good luck to the Crown Prince and Princess.

I've had fun reading through the suggestions. A few notes though: I don't think they are going to name the baby (if it's a girl) Josephine. That's the name Philippe's halfsister Delphine Boël gave to her daughter, so I don't think they'll be using that one.

Laura is a possibility, as Queen Paola had a sister called Laura. Astrid is also a possibility, definitly if Princess Maria Laura is to be a godmother.

Somehow I don't think Crown Princess Máxima will be a godmother. For each of their children they have chosen godparents with whom they share family bonds: Mathilde's siblings and some of Philippe's relatives. I don't think they will be breaking that pattern.

Oh, what about Mathilde's brother in law as a godfather (someone mentioned it's that side of the family which should deliver the godfather) and then Maria-Laura can be godmother...

Leopold is also possible, just like Alexander or Alexandra, although both names are currently in use in the immediate family. Charlotte is also a possibilty, although Luxembourg has a Princess Charlotte (one of the twins of Prince Guillaume is called Charlotte).

Anna is also a strong candidate: it's a biblical name and it's used in both French and Dutch.

Guess we will have to wait untill the baby is born...

I've had fun reading through the suggestions. A few notes though: I don't think they are going to name the baby (if it's a girl) Josephine. That's the name Philippe's halfsister Delphine Boël gave to her daughter, so I don't think they'll be using that one.

Laura is a possibility, as Queen Paola had a sister called Laura. Astrid is also a possibility, definitly if Princess Maria Laura is to be a godmother.

Somehow I don't think Crown Princess Máxima will be a godmother. For each of their children they have chosen godparents with whom they share family bonds: Mathilde's siblings and some of Philippe's relatives. I don't think they will be breaking that pattern.

Oh, what about Mathilde's brother in law as a godfather (someone mentioned it's that side of the family which should deliver the godfather) and then Maria-Laura can be godmother...

Leopold is also possible, just like Alexander or Alexandra, although both names are currently in use in the immediate family. Charlotte is also a possibilty, although Luxembourg has a Princess Charlotte (one of the twins of Prince Guillaume is called Charlotte).

Anna is also a strong candidate: it's a biblical name and it's used in both French and Dutch.

Guess we will have to wait untill the baby is born...

I also have the feeling that Laura will de the godmother. Furthermore I like the name Amelie. This is pronounced the same in French and Dutch..

How about Antonia, it's one of Queen Paola and Fabiola's names. I think that would be a nice tribute to both. Let's see --- how about HRH Princess Antonia Astrid Mathilde of Belgium. And for a boy, HRH Prince Alexander Albert Baudouin of Belgium.

The longer I think about it, the more I like Anna for a girl. 'Anna' is used in French, Dutch, German (and English and....). It's simple and elegant and goed with Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel. Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Anna: it sounds great!
For a boy I'm sticking to Christian or Matthias.

they will find a name similar in the three official languages I think

For a girl I keep voting for Amelie, Helen(e) or Madeleine. Elisabeth's fourth name is Helene, but I don't think that's an issue. For a boy I would go for Daniel or Raphael.

Helene Paola Marie Astrid ...
Amelie Antonia Marie Sophie ...
Madeleine Louise Marie Sophie ...
Raphael Felix Philippe Marie ...
Daniel Eugene Albert Marie ...

I like the name Marie-Amelie.

For a Boy
Michael Philippe Amedo Felix Marie
For A Girl
Charlotte Marie Amelia Daniella

I had a weird dream that they had a baby girl and named her Aurelia. Is that a common Belgian name?

I had a weird dream that they had a baby girl and named her Aurelia. Is that a common Belgian name?

Not really, not in the Flemish part I don't know about the french part of the county. I think Aurelie is more commen but it is a more French name so I don't think they would go for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom