Names for the next Prince/Princess of Belgium

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I really like the name Josephine, I don't think they'll coose it, because Philippe already has a niece with that name (Delphine Boel's daughter).
But then, Laurent named his daughter Louise, although his niece was already named Luisa Maria.

What about Princess Lea
It's biblical, pronounced the same way in French, Dutch and German and it is a quite popular name in the southern part of Belgium, maybe it's too much Star Wars?

I'm sticking with Raphael for a boy.

Marie-Alix after Mathilde's late sister
Sophie after Mathilde's grandmother
Marie
Alix or Alexandra
Josephine
Charlotte
Fabiola
Anne as one of the middle names
Paola as one of the middle names

Rafael,
Michael
Fulco

When is she due again? If it is around Christmas, I love the suggestion of Noelle and Nathaniel. I also think Nathaniel would go really good with Gabriel and Emmanuel.

another name I really like is Céleste wich means heavenly.

Maybe when it's a girl it could be: SAR princess Céleste Astrid Laura Marie

I think it goes well with the other names of the children: Elisabeth, Gabriël, Emmanuel and Céleste.

I also love the name Eleonore, but you have already infanta Leonor and Leonore the daugther of prince Constantijn en princess Laurentien so probably they will not give there daugther this name.

I like the name Eleonore too. If Mathilde and Phillippe like it too I think they should forget about Leonor and Leonore and use it.

No it is not in december. It is for the spring so I guess ther beginning of march!

Few more:
Natalie
Barbara
Agnes
Clementine
Eleonore
Theodora
Isabella, Isobelle

Jozef (after saint patron of Belgium)
Martin
Bavo
Hubert

Last edited:
Although I really like the name Josephine, I don't think they'll coose it, because Philippe already has a niece with that name (Delphine Boel's daughter).
But then, Laurent named his daughter Louise, although his niece was already named Luisa Maria.
:neutral:Josephine and Louise are names that run in the family [of Belgium] so it is possible that these names are used somewhere in the childs name if it is a girl. [I don't think that the child gets only one name]. Luisa Maria is posible named after Queen Paola's mother Luisa I think.

Sophie after Mathilde's grandmother
Marie
Alix or Alexandra
Josephine
Charlotte
Fabiola
Anne as one of the middle names
Paola as one of the middle names

Rafael,
Michael
Fulco
:)Oh yes, Fulco, that would be nice, after Queen Paola's father. She will shed a tear or two.
And aunt Fabiola isn't a godmother in the family "van Belgie" yet I think, so Fabiola at least as one of the middle names yes, that could be.:neutral:

What about Princess Lea
It's biblical, pronounced the same way in French, Dutch and German and it is a quite popular name in the southern part of Belgium, maybe it's too much Star Wars?
Why not, princess Lea, :)and Princess Lea [Prince Alexander's wife] could be the godmother.
Or indeed Alexander/Alexandra [with Prince Alexander as godfather]

:ermm:Or they could completely surprise us with a Princes Giovanna of a Prince Zacharias.
Anyway, I hope for Princess Elisabeth that it will be a little sister though.

Isabella Paola Anne Alix Marie

Those are interesting names, but since the baby Danish princess's name is Isabella (and Mathilde is her godmother) I doubt that would be the new baby's first name.

i like the rest of the names- why did you choose them?

Those are interesting names, but since the baby Danish princess's name is Isabella (and Mathilde is her godmother) I doubt that would be the new baby's first name.

i like the rest of the names- why did you choose them?

Isabella/Isabelle/Isabel is unlikely also because it has the same latin root as the name Elisabeth, so I don't think they'd name the baby in such a manner.

Léopold Louis Albert Marie for a boy, or Charlotte Astrid Marie Sophie for a girl :)

What about Charlotte-Josephine Marie Paola

Just popping up in my mind::angel:

Angela-Astrid Paola Giovanella Fabiola Maria for a little sister of Elisabeth.

It is not that I like the name Fabiola so much, but if there will be a child named after Queen Fabiola, in the Belgian Royal Family, I think it will be done by Prince Filip and Princess Mathilde. And though it is said that they like to have many children I think that the chance that they can do it [name a child after Queen Fabiola I mean] is not very big anymore.

Last edited:
Sophie Alexandra:wub:

I also like Lea, Louise and Noelle

Girls:
Amélie
Charlotte
Clementine
Joséphine
Marie-Alix
Marie-José
Pauline
Stéphanie

Marie will be in there regardless, for both sexes They might honor the dead aunt or the grandmother, though they haven't with any of the other grandchildren.

Boys:
Christian
Clemens/Clement
Louis
Michaël/Michel/Miguel
Raphaël
Theodor

Trickier, but my guesses just going by the names that have already been used. It looks like they're due for another Charlotte or Joséphine for a girl. Astrid is the aunt, so if they use that name it'll probably be confined to the middle. Raphaël or Michaël seems to fit perfectly with the names of their other sons, particularly if they want another name that ends in "el." They're both archangel names and Catholic saints. I wouldn't rule out Clement for a boy or Clementine for a girl. Both have precedent in Belgium and Clementine is very fashionable right now.

Last edited:
How about these "el"-names:

Adele
Helene
Madeleine
Rachel

The problem is they don't come from the historic root "el" El (god) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel all do. El (god) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are very many boys' names (Raphael, Daniel, Michael, Samuel, etc)
but not very many girls names. Eleonore would work, but there is already Leonor of Spain and Leonore of the Netherlands.

Madeleine for example comes from Maria Magdalena, Mary of Magdalene, and meaningwise has nothing to do with "el".

That is true, indeed! Then perhaps a feminin form of a male name would do? Ariela/Arielle, Michaela/Michelle, Raphaela/Raphaelle, Muriel/Murielle. But these are not particularily royal names, I guess? For a boy there is more to choose.

Anne, Désirée, Christine, Eleonore, Charlotte, Astrid, Marie-Alix, Josephine

David, Jakob, Samuel, Daniel, Raphael, Nathanael, Michael

For a girl I like Eleonore (or Leonore, Elinor), Anna and Madeleine. The name Aliénor (I noticed that name on this forum) could be an option too (so it will be different to Leonor of Spain en Leonore of Orange).
The 'el' in Madeleine has not the same background as the 'el' in Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel, but the name is biblical. Maybe the biggest problem with the name Madeleine is that it could be seen as too French (though this name is used across Europe).

For a boy: Christian or Matthias. I like the names of Gabriel and Emmanuel. Another name ending with -el would be to much IMHO (I also don't like al the A-names of the children of WA en Maxima).

How about:
Catherine,
Barbara,
Caroline,
Marceline,
Maxima as one of the middle names (would be nice if Maximabecome a godmother)

Charles
Victor
Roger
Orlando

Last edited:
Mathilde is godmother to how many royal kids .. ?

Alexia of the Netherlands and Isabella of Denmark.

For a boy:
Albert Philippe Jean Alexandre
Nathaniel Albert Philippe Jean
Alexandre Albert Philippe Jean

For a girl:
Christine Marie Mathilde Paola
Madeleine Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Caroline Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Amélie Mathilde Paola Charlotte
Charlotte Paola Mathilde Marie
Marie Christine Paola Mathilde

:flowers:

In that case, I think Princess Maxima and Princess Mary should be godmothers to this baby :)
One possible future queen consort for the youngest baby is enough.

Btw. I don't know is it hasany meaning but Mary is Lutheran and Maxima - Catholic.

Last edited:
I think Albert for a boy

But what about incorporating both grandmothers for a girl---
Alexandra Paola Anna Marie?

as maxima and mathidle are such close friends and mathidle was godmother for alexia i think that it is probable that maxima will be one of the godmothers and if not her then maybe they could have Letizia as she is not yet a royal mother

for names (this is actually quite hard as they always surprise me when it comes to names)
girl - paola ??
boy - jean ??

Last edited:
I like Caroline and Alexander. I don´t know if these are common names in Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom