Muslim Queens Regnant

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
As you see from the following list, there were quite a number of Female Sovereigns regnant, even in Muslim culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_rulers

However, currently no Muslim monarchy allows a women to become a Sovereign of her own.

Do you think we may expect a change in this case - for examle if Crown Prince Hussein of Jordan, Moulay Hasan of Morocco have daughters as first children, would they be declared Crown Princesses?

Or Abdul Muntaquim of Brumei's eventual firstborn daughter?

I don't count for a Gulf Royal families in the nearest future - They would have to give up practicing polygamy first, and that's not going to happen yet.

What do you think?

May it still happen in XXI century, or no one of us present on the Forums will live to this moment?:ermm::ermm::ermm:

Last edited:
As you see from the following list, there were quite a number of Female Sovereigns regnant, even in Muslim culture.

However, currently no Muslim monarchy allows a women to become a Sovereign of her own.

Do you think we may expect a change in this case - for examle if Crown Prince Hussein of Jordan, Moulay Hasan of Morocco have daughters as first children, would they be declared Crown Princesses?

Or Abdul Muntaquim of Brumei's eventual firstborn daughter?

I don't count for a Gulf Royal families in the nearest future - They would have to give up practicing polygamy first, and that's not going to happen yet.

What do you think?

May it still happen in XXI century, or no one of us present on the Forums will live to this moment?:ermm::ermm::ermm:
I don’t think that it will happen in either Morocco, Jordan and certainly not Brunei. Not all the Gulf leaders practice polygamy and stopping polygamy won’t change the succession rules. Where’s the list of Muslim Queen regnants? If there ever were changes in laws (unlikely) then the women would be limited in terms of marital choices

I don’t think that it will happen in either Morocco, Jordan and certainly not Brunei. Not all the Gulf leaders practice polygamy and stopping polygamy won’t change the succession rules. Where’s the list of Muslim Queen regnants? If there ever were changes in laws (unlikely) then the women would be limited in terms of marital choices

Where’s the list of Muslim Queen regnants? I already updated it - it contains not only muslim but all female monarchs known throughout history.

As for polygamy I meant that through practising it a ruler can have many, many sons - as long as there are so many male successors available, they see no reason to appoint a female one.

I mentioned Jordan and Morocco as first because they seem to be the most...well...Westernized ;)

As for possible Muslim Princes Consorts, that they would be likely to come from a particular families - by first centuries after this historical change maybe yes but by the 3000 A.D. there will probably be only one condition to have for a spouse for the Muslim heiress of the Throne - to be Muslim too.

The current Sultan of Yogyakarta only has daughters and few years ago he appointed his oldest daughter as Crown Princess (titled "Mangkubumi" if I'm not mistaken). Both of them are Muslims and Yogyakarta Sultanate is Muslim monarchy. There's a bit squabble within the extended family (Sultan's brother), but I suspect the general public wouldn't really mind since Indonesia already had female president and there's also several female governors in the neighbouring provinces (the Sultan of Yogyakarta is automatic governor of Yogyakarta province for life which is part of treaty when Yogyakarta joined Indonesia).

Sultan of Yogyakarta: A feminist revolution in an ancient kingdom

Where’s the list of Muslim Queen regnants? I already updated it - it contains not only muslim but all female monarchs known throughout history.

As for polygamy I meant that through practising it a ruler can have many, many sons - as long as there are so many male successors available, they see no reason to appoint a female one.

I mentioned Jordan and Morocco as first because they seem to be the most...well...Westernized ;)

As for possible Muslim Princes Consorts, that they would be likely to come from a particular families - by first centuries after this historical change maybe yes but by the 3000 A.D. there will probably be only one condition to have for a spouse for the Muslim heiress of the Throne - to be Muslim too.
The ruler will have many brothers or male cousins and mind you not all Gulf or Arab states have clearly defined and outlined successions. E.g. Saudi Arabia. But the younger generation may not indulge in the polygamy much.

I don’t think you fully understand the tribal and socio-politics of these regions, I don’t think it will be just one condition for the spouse to be Muslim because the system of alliances between the various families are much more important than in Europe and even in the countries where some of them rule, for example if let’s say the Emir of Abu Dhabi doesn’t marry from a royal house from the emirates or other Gulf states, then they will likely marry from one of local sheikh families because their support structure depends not only their people, but on local and tribal leaders from their countries and in some cases the religious leaders.

A foreigner who is Muslim might not be preferred over a local, see in the case of male rulers, King Hussein and Queen Rania, Rania isn’t Jordanian but a Kuwaiti and a little too Western oriented for some in Jordan so some people don’t like her.

I don't see any Muslim monarchy even Jordan or Morocco, which are bit more liberal than Gulf states and Brunei, allowing women ascending to throne. These are too conservative to commit such thing. Perhaps if male lineage go totally extinct (includes too king's distant cousins).

Only possibilities what I can see being possible are Jordan and Morocco but that is not going to happen on this century. And even on that case it is probably male preference succession and males are higher on line of succession even if prince is younger than his sister.

I don't see any Muslim monarchy even Jordan or Morocco, which are bit more liberal than Gulf states and Brunei, allowing women ascending to throne. These are too conservative to commit such thing. Perhaps if male lineage go totally extinct (includes too king's distant cousins).

Only possibilities what I can see being possible are Jordan and Morocco but that is not going to happen on this century. And even on that case it is probably male preference succession and males are higher on line of succession even if prince is younger than his sister.
Correct you are. Plus the list of Queen regnants in the list posted by Biri were either ruling parts of kingdoms or from dynasties that died out centuries ago.

Correct you are. Plus the list of Queen regnants in the list posted by Biri were either ruling parts of kingdoms or from dynasties that died out centuries ago.

Checked that list and indeed there seems being only few female Muslim monarch and they not seem like totally independent rulers or then cases where all of their male relatives have gone extinction. Most of these Muslim female rulers seemed being just vassals of other monarchies at best.

Back
Top Bottom