Lech Photo Sessions: 2005-2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beautiful photos! the orange children look cuter everyday. i have the impression they will be really close in the future.

alexia seemed to be tired or hungry, catharina seems to be getting used to cameras... she acts so naturally! i loved maxima's boots this time and specially the fact of her talking to the girls in dutch, spanish and english :) it's so good that they learn from their early life three languages...

can anyone tell us what maxima and willem tell the cameramen at the end of the NOS video?

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
These pictures more or less show the new Royal House after the accession of Prince Willem-Alexander. The Act on the membership of the Royal House says: those who are in the line of succession and are no furtherer related to the King than two degrees of consanguity. The pictures already gives a hint:

0 HM The King
- HRH The Princess of the Netherlands (or: HM Queen Máxima)

1 HRH The Princess of Orange (Princess Catharina-Amalia)
1 HRH Princess Alexia of the Netherlands
1 HRH Prince(ss) .... of the Netherlands

1 HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands

2 HRH Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands
- HRH Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands

------------------------------------------------------

3 HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands*
- Professor mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven

* On base of the Act she would loose her membership of the Royal House because she is too far related to the King, but out of benevolence for her role she is allowed to remain a member of the House for life.

i didn't know the queen would be addressed as princess beatrix if she abdicates... wouldn't she be allowed to be refered as the queen mother or something like that? princess seems such a low title after being queen and after the work that the queen does!

Standing practice formalized

Queen Wilhelmina reigned for 58 years and after her abdication in 1948 she requested her daughter for permission 'to retain to the title I was known with before the kingship'. So she became 'Her Royal Highness Princess Wilhelmina of the Netherlands'.

When her daughter Queen Juliana abdicated in 1980, she made known she wanted to follow into her mother's footsteps. So she became 'Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana of the Netherlands'.

In the Act of 2002 this standing practice was formalized. After an abdication Queen Beatrix will retain to the style she was known before the kingship and will become 'Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands'.

This also means that when King Willem IV Alexander abdicates for his daughter, he will retain to the style he had before the kingship and become 'His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands'.

'Queen-Mother' is no option for the government because:
- the 'King' or the 'Queen' is exclusively the head of state (therefore the desire not to make Máxima Queen)
- this is never used for a former reigning Sovereign
- what about Willem-Alexander: will he become 'King-Father'?

Last edited:
There is amazement about the attention poor Alexia got because she cryed according to HJA on his Royalblog.Imagine,a one and a half year old,trying to stay put in the slippery deep snow,with 30+ press people in front of your nose with camera's,falling over and then being the "subject" of conversations all over the world.Germany's largest daily newspaper had a pic of the "crying Princess" on it's front cover yesterday,poor Alexia.

That is kinda sad it isn't her fault. She fell over and it was upsetting. I'm sure if W-A and Maxima had left her there standing crying the press would have had a problem with that too. Better to lift her and comfort her than leave her crying in front of the world's media:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amelie said:
but she said "mama is here, i'm right here" surely that is all in english and not dutch.

no she didn't, or I'm deaf! I really don't think she said that, I even checked twice before responding! you tell me when you heard her saying I'm right here in the video..:huh:
seriously I didn;t hear a word of english. except when someone shouted the word party to stop alexia from crying, lol

Henri M. said:
Indeed, she spoke Spanish, English and Dutch to her little Princesses. I have not heard Prince Willem-Alexander saying anything against the kids:
he was just glowing and beaming with a smile from ear to ear.

Fatherly pride, I think.

:lol:

no she didnt. and Willem-Alexander did say some stuff! go watch the video again..

No English was spoken. Maxima spoke spanish with the girls, and said Mommy is here in Dutch not English. I just love it when she speaks spanish with the girls. Especially when she asked Alexia if she wanted to go 'abajo con Ama'. So cute :wub:

princess leonor said:
No English was spoken. Maxima spoke spanish with the girls, and said Mommy is here in Dutch not English. I just love it when she speaks spanish with the girls. Especially when she asked Alexia if she wanted to go 'abajo con Ama'. So cute :wub:

yeah I love it that the girls are spoken to in both dutch and spanish! and I now know some spanish words too! :lol:

and now we know maxima calls amalia "ama", so sweet, although i love the complete name. sounds wonderful and so regal. i keep thinking they made a wonderful choice for the heir's name.

indeed, maxima does speak in english in the video. its about at the first part, when alexia is picked up by daddy and she calls "mama".

Maxima definitely is not speaking english. She said 'mama is hier' which happens to sound almost the same as 'mommy is here', since 'hier' and 'here' are pronounced in the same way.

I really loved the pictures and I was glad to see Constantijn, Laurentien and the kids too! Thanks for sharing, all! :flowers:

Maxie said:
Maxima definitely is not speaking english. She said 'mama is hier' which happens to sound almost the same as 'mommy is here', since 'hier' and 'here' are pronounced in the same way.
It indeed sounds really similar to the english pronounciation!
Honestly, when I first saw the video I thought Máxima was speaking German .
"Mama is hier!" (dutch) sounds very similar to "Mama ist hier." (German) ...
The sentence sounds so similar in all 3 languages...
:lol:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they mentioned before what language do communicate to their kids? ENG & DUTCH

amina1 said:
Does anyone know if they mentioned before what language do communicate to their kids? ENG & DUTCH
the princes of orange talk with the girls in spanish, dutch and english

AnneGirl said:
no she didn't, or I'm deaf! I really don't think she said that, I even checked twice before responding! you tell me when you heard her saying I'm right here in the video..:huh:
seriously I didn;t hear a word of english. except when someone shouted the word party to stop alexia from crying, lol
Well, maybe her "Ik ben hier/mammie is hier" came across to some as being English as Maxima's "rr" sound sometimes seems to be similar to the type the well-heeled folks around Wassenaar tend to deploy (Dutchies here, you all get my drift ;))

I think there's something infinitely more impressive here, though, than Maxima chatting in her native Spanish with her girls.

And it's, I think, the fact that you (if you're Dutch) can really tell from what she says in Dutch in the interview (and how she says it) that she really uses that language all thoughout her daily life. She's using colloquials (sp) from that language that she'd only know by really "living" that language day in and out.
And, no, that's not a given in her case. Not at all: For example, it is known that for example Monaco's Prince consort Gracia's French was notoriously bad, although it improved a bit over the years to be fair. But not to the level of where Maxima's Dutch already is today (even if she still makes mistakes here and there--it IS a difficult language to master).

Kudo's to Maxima, in other words, of her grasp of Dutch!

Maxie said:

I really loved the pictures and I was glad to see Constantijn, Laurentien and the kids too! Thanks for sharing, all! :flowers:

yes, hier definately sounds like here, thats why english speaking people will think it's english, and only dutch people (or maybe german people too) will hear that she really was speaking dutch, not english. hier may sound like here, it really isn't the same. there's a slightly different tone to it.

corazon said:
the princes of orange talk with the girls in spanish, dutch and english

I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little frustrated, can;t you read the previous posts? she really wasn;t speaking english. and it's not just you, there are others too who keep claiming that they heard maxima speak english. but she really didn;t. come on, trust us dutchies on this, we should know!!

Ok. So Máxima speaks spanish&dutch to the girls and Willem-Alexander in dutch... but in which language do Máxima&W-A talk to each other?English or Dutch?

Princess Maxima said:
Ok. So Máxima speaks spanish&dutch to the girls and Willem-Alexander in dutch... but in which language do Máxima&W-A talk to each other?English or Dutch?

Dutch, Spanish and English.
Also the Prince can understand Spanish very well, and speak it more or less.

oh, now we solved the mistery of that phrase being similar in english and dutch....

i remember seeing a video long time ago (the famous stolen video of willem and maxima's argentinian visit) where maxima was talking to amalia in spanish while getting her hair done. she was saying something like "donde esta la bebita linda de mama?" (where's mommy's cute little girl?)... thought it was really cute.

Henri M. said:

Very impressive that the family is having their children raised to be multi-lingual. Do they employ Spanish speaking nannies?

There are quite a few Spanish speakers among European royalty besides the Spanish royal family. Queen Fabiola, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Maxima are three native speakers who have married into families where Spanish is not the primary language.

TLLK said:
Very impressive that the family is having their children raised to be multi-lingual. Do they employ Spanish speaking nannies?

Yes, the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima do employ staff at Villa De Eikenhorst but their nationality is not known. To me it looks looks logical that the nannies are native Dutch speakers with Spanish as a second language. After all Princess Catharina-Amalia needs to develop excellent Dutch language.

But the royal family is known with this concept. For the 604 years that the Orange-Nassaus are in the Netherlands, the Stadtholders, Princes, Fürsts, Kings or Queens have never ever been married to a Dutchman or -woman. So bilinguality must be in their genes.

:flowers:

TLLK said:

I actually think they do. I don't know if they're native speakers, but the nannies do speak spanish. I thought they were native speakers, but I'm not sure

Henri M. said:

He has said that he learns with Amalia :flowers:

carlota said:
oh, now we solved the mistery of that phrase being similar in english and dutch....

i remember seeing a video long time ago (the famous stolen video of willem and maxima's argentinian visit) where maxima was talking to amalia in spanish while getting her hair done. she was saying something like "donde esta la bebita linda de mama?" (where's mommy's cute little girl?)... thought it was really cute.

I would like to see that video :ermm:

TLLK said:

There are quite a few Spanish speakers among European royalty besides the Spanish royal family. Queen Fabiola, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Maxima are three native speakers who have married into families where Spanish is not the primary language.
Plus the other way around, like Dutch princess Irene, Beatrix's sister. Irene was married to a Spanish prince, Carlos Hugo of Bourbon PArma I believe, an heir to the Spanish throne. (he didn't end up landing the throne because a different family did, the one that dictator Franco prefered if I'm not mistaken) Their four kids speak Spanish fluently, among a slew of other languages. Most recently one of these kids, Jaime, was named godfather of his cousin Prince Friso's youngest daughter, Zaria (still follow? ;)
Back on the topic of Lech, my hunch why the Friso branch of the family wasn't there has to have to do with Mabel's work. She probably couldn't make the time away from her high-level job. At the baptism of her daughter recently, she looked absolutely exhausted, the poor thing. The one who really could use a nice vacation!

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
the 604 years that the Orange-Nassaus are in the Netherlands
:flowers:
604 years with a few, well, let us say, Oranje-breakes in between (during some of which the Republiek did just fine being a republic, thank you very much!) ;)

Back
Top Bottom