King Willem-Alexander, Current Events 3: Dec 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to the first three episodes.
I also really enjoyed listening to them.
The King sounds very relaxed and open. Personal questions are allowed, but since the focus of the podcast is about his 10 year reign, he generally sticks to that topic.
Interesting fact, the King and Queen knew 18 months in advance that Beatrix was going to step down. It was only one month before the anouncement that others were informed.
Every podcast a person is called to comment on the king, for 2013 it was a relative of a MH17 victim, describing his feeling that the King could really understand him because of prince Friso's passing.
All three episodes also feature a young boy asking a question.
I look forward to listening to the next episodes.

I am enjoying the podcast as well (hope to listen to the others and comment on them separately).

FIRST EPISODE
Next to what already was mentioned I liked how he discussed his awareness of the change of his role in how people (in the royal household) responded to him. He explains that he always used to fire off various ideas and while he was still the Prince of Orange people would discuss those ideas and often tear them apart. However, once he was king, they started to carry them out as he was 'the boss' now. Nonetheless, he still wanted them to critically evaluate his ideas before running off to execute them. Therefore, when interviewing people for a position in the royal household, one of his main concerns is whether they are able to criticize his ideas. If they are not, they are not a good fit.

Furthermore, he characterizes his kingship/role with three key words: unifying, representing (both of the people to those in power (he especially talks about the current topic of those outside the 'Randstad' (in the region) not feeling well represented and treated as less than those in the Randstad) as well as representing the Netherlands abroad) and encouraging.

Finally, he discusses the concept of ministerial responsibility and acknowledges that indeed he cannot completely freely express himself but stresses that it is quite healthy to consider what you say, that he is not the only one in a position in which you really need to think before you speak and that he doesn't see it as a hinderance (but rather as a protection).

SECOND EPISODE:
Mostly about the MH17-disaster. Other than that, the king was diverting any more personal questions such as whether there are laws that he had to sign that he disagrees with to which he repeatedly answered that 'it isn't relevant' - if the process was done correctly, his role is to sign the law. The only thing that stood out a little was how he described himself as rather emotional, something he shares with his Latina-wife.

THIRD EPISODE:
A bit more personal tidbits: including that the king became an avid golf player during the pandemic, that he enjoys stand-up paddling during his holidays and that he rides an electric car (for personal use; the official one is 11 year old and therefor on fuel, but the next official one will most likely be a hybrid car). Due to regulations for monuments, solar panels are a no-no for Palace Huis ten Bosch but they got permission for solar panels on Palace Noordeinde as it has a flat roof, so they can make it invisible from the street.

Like in previous epsiodes his background as a historian is showing and he shows himself to be rather nuanced and good in putting things in perspective (he doesn't let himself become crazy - as we would say in Dutch). He explains that especially with regards to social media, that's something he had to learn: not to take things personally but understand that people at times need to vent. Previously they did so with their friends in a bar, nowadays they do so on social media. He also explains that of course his daughters also read social media. As a family they discuss what they read on social media as at times it can be very harsh. However, he realizes that it is part of today's world, so it would be impossible to shield them from it. So, the only way is to learn how to deal with it - and their strategy is talking things through with their parents and with others.

EDITED: added reflections on second and third episode

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander received the President of the Republic of Estonia Alar Karis today, April 13:

** ppe gallery **

The King is quite busy with receiving the one President after the other...

The King is quite busy with receiving the one President after the other...

I was wondering if it was just a meeting or do the Dutch offer a luncheon in honour of the visit ,like the Spanish king?

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander paid a working visit to the Holst Center and PhotonDelta at the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven today, April 20:

** anp gallery **

King Willem-Alexander received Volodymyr Zelensky, President of Ukraine, at Palace Huis ten Bosch today, May 4:

** ppe gallery **

Although we should expect it by now it is truely shocking to read the comments under the tweet of the King and the president by the account of the royal house. A never ending barrage of fascists furious that the king met the president, hurling insults and conspiracy theories.

I hope the court will start to consider disabling the replies to their posts as it is a magnet for all sorts of deranged people, of which we apparently have many.

Leaders of several extreme or populist-right parties -including the oracle of the Farmers Party- have refused to attend a speech by the president too. What a cesspit they have turned our country into.

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander received the Vice President of China Han Zheng at Huis ten Bosch Palace today, May 11:

** Pic ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

Last edited:
In this week's podcast (10 podcasts because of his Jubilee) the King looked back to the year with that travel to his residence in Greece. He admitted it was "the worst assessment I ever made in my life" and "I absolutely deserved all possible criticism on it."

The King actually wanted to show that - despite lockdown- travels were still possible and allowed (which was totally true). However he underestimated the optics of many people living with restrictions while their King went on a foreign holiday. The King took all blame on him.

At the same time he acknowledged that the planned trip was for many weeks known in a wide circle (the Government, the Household, the King's councillors) but no one, "not one" has uttered any word about it.

The King revealed that after return "it has thundered at the palace" because when he makes poor assessments - and why not - his surroundings should stand up and object. That no one has uttered an objection opened the King's eyes and caused a review of how the Court Organisation works.

It gave a little Putin vibe: no one telling Putin that the war is not at all going to plan. It shocked me that even in 2021 apparently experienced and well-paid professionals at the Court came no furtherer than "Yes, Your Majesty. Sure, Your Majesty. As you wish, Your Majesty"....

The King already revealed it in the first podcast. As Prince of Orange he so now and then had ideas which he brought forward during the weekly secretarie at Noordeinde Palace (the Queen in conclave with the top of the Household Organization). He was used that his ideas were, one by one, shot down.

But - to his own amazement- when he became the King himself, all his ides were welcomed during the weekly secretarie ("Yes, Your Majesty! Your wish is my command".) During the first podcast the King told the amazement turned into fun as all his wishes simply were fulfilled. Now he realized true and honest feedback seem difficult - for whatever reasons - inside the Royal Household Agency.

Last edited:
In this week's podcast (10 podcasts because of his Jubilee) the King looked back to the year with that travel to his residence in Greece. He admitted it was "the worst assessment I ever made in my life" and "I absolutely deserved all possible criticism on it."

The King actually wanted to show that - despite lockdown- travels were still possible and allowed (which was totally true). However he underestimated the optics of many people living with restrictions while their King went on a foreign holiday. The King took all blame on him.

At the same time he acknowledged that the planned trip was for many weeks known in a wide circle (the Government, the Household, the King's councillors) but no one, "not one" has uttered any word about it.

The King revealed that after return "it has thundered at the palace" because when he makes poor assessments - and why not - his surroundings should stand up and object. That no one has uttered an objection opened the King's eyes and caused a review of how the Court Organisation works.

It gave a little Putin vibe: no one telling Putin that the war is not at all going to plan. It shocked me that even in 2021 apparently experienced and well-paid professionals at the Court came no furtherer than "Yes, Your Majesty. Sure, Your Majesty. As you wish, Your Majesty"....

The King already revealed it in the first podcast. As Prince of Orange he so now and then had ideas which he brought forward during the weekly secretarie at Noordeinde Palace (the Queen in conclave with the top of the Household Organization). He was used that his ideas were, one by one, shot down.

But - to his own amazement- when he became the King himself, all his ides were welcomed during the weekly secretarie ("Yes, Your Majesty! Your wish is my command".) During the first podcast the King told the amazement turned into fun as all his wishes simply were fulfilled. Now he realized true and honest feedback seem difficult - for whatever reasons - inside the Royal Household Agency.
Seems like His Majesty learned a valuable lesson from travelgate. If he manages to implement lasting changes based on this it could prove invaluable.

King Willem-Alexander opened the Center for Chemistry and Technology, the ChemTech Center, of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), in Pijnacker-Nootdorp today, May 12:

** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander received the Ambassadors of Belize, of the Union of the Comoros and of the Ivory Coast for audiences today:

** ppe gallery **

And this evening he attended the celebration of the 225th anniversary of the Rijkswaterstaat at Fort Lent:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery ** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander paid a working visit to the three planning offices: the Central Planning Bureau (CPB), the Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) and the Social and Cultural Planning Office (SCP) in Den Haag today, May 25:

** rex gallery ** anp gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
This afternoon, May 26, King Willem-Alexander attended the celebration for the 100th anniversary of the Oranje-Nassau Historical Society at Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn:

** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

King Willem-Alexander paid a working visit to Brightlands Chemelot Campus and Chemelot industrial park in Geleen today, June 9:

** anp gallery ** rex gallery **

Later he opened the exhibition 'The Sun King and Orange - Battle on the Maas' at the Limburgs Museum in Venlo:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:
Today, June 12, King Willem-Alexander visited the Provincial House Assen and was informed about politics in the Provincial Council of Drenthe:

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery ** rex gallery **

Later he attended the performance "East Side Story". "The performance is part of the theater triptych 'On the other side' about the Moluccan-Dutch history and the arrival of 12,500 Moluccan KNIL soldiers and their families to the Netherlands more than seventy years ago":

** anp gallery ** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
This morning, June 13, King Willem-Alexander and a delegation departed by train for a two-day visit to Spain.

Today and tomorrow King Willem-Alexander will visit several hydrogen projects in Madrid and the states of Castilla-La Mancha and Andalusia in Spain, partly accompanied by King Felipe.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

Also today King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe attended a lunch on the occasion of the 375th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Netherlands and Spain and the contribution of hydrogen valleys to the decarbonisation of Europe:

** casareal ** gtresnews gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
On his second day in Spain King Willem-Alexander together with King Felipe presided over the institutional act of presenting the first green hydrogen maritime corridor between the ports of Algeciras and Rotterdam today, June 14:

** gtresnews gallery ** casareal **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom