King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 7: Sept 2008 - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here information and pic from interview SR-radio yesterday morning in Washington:

Drottning Silvia mötte Obama och Clinton - sr.se

Thank you for posting this link.

I have just listend to the long interviw with Queen Silvia. In the end of the interview the Queen was asked if she was embraced by Michelle Obama like Queen Elizabeth was embraced by her earlier this year. I think this is a funny question. The Queen answered that Mrs. Obama did not embrace her but that she is very friendly person and that it was a very short meeting in the White House.

I'm just wondering if the King will attend the Formula One race in Abu Dhabi this weekend when he is in in UAE. As the post of "Turkish Delight" shows the "Festival of Thinkers" will take place in Abu Dhabi and as we know the King really likes cars and also attend to other Formula One races in recent years.

I find the "Michelle Obama embrace question" odd to Q Silvia. Is this really critical information? Strange to me!

King Carl Gustaf will take part at the "Festival of Thinkers" at the United Arab Emirates. Also prince Nikolaos, prince Pavlos and countess Bettina Bernadotte will be there.
Festival of Thinkers/Participants

I wonder that royalcout mentioned in the calender that the queen attend the hunt, too. The last years Queen Silvia don't attend hunt in Hunneberg. But it's pity for us! :ermm:

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1014855 said:
The calender of the royal family says that the Queen also attend. Does someone know more about this?

DAM newspaper (No.46) has an article and pictures from 60th birthday Fredrik Ramberg. The king and queen were guest, too.

On which date was the birthday celebration in Stockholm? Does anyone find pictures (King/Queen) of the celebration?

Last edited by a moderator:
The interview is not so much about her charities but rather about the current state of things within the family.
Queen Silvia says that people should not believe everything they read in the papers, that everyone got to know Daniel very well and stands behind him, and that she thinks he will find his way and contribute a lot of good things both for Victoria and the whole family.
She hopes that although she and the King already did a lot to modernize the court, Victoria and Daniel will continue to work at creating a modern court for modern times.
She appears touched that the chosen wedding day is her own and calls this ‘very sweet’ -, and she says that Victoria and Daniel are independent people who do a lot of planning for the upcoming wedding themselves.
She describes Daniel as ‘open and alert’, which is rather cautious, describes the couple as having a good line of communication as well as sharing a lot of laughter, just two young people about to create a family. Here she added rather hesitatingly: “…hopefully”, which is strange.
She also praises CP Mary of Denmark for her ways of supporting Frederik.

Article about it:
http://www.expressen.se/Nyheter/1.1771848/silvia-ser-fram-emot-brollopet

Some pics of the King and Queen in Uppsala today.

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

Next week they will attend some official activities in Germany.
On tuesday they will be in Hamburg for the 50th anniversary of the Swedish Trade Chamber ( is this the right word for Svenskas handelskammaren???:ermm:) and after this the Queen will attend some events in connection with the World Childhood Foundation. Hope we will see some beautyful pictures of them:D.

Thank you for the pics!
The event attended by King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia in the cathedral of Uppsala was the ordination of openly gay pastor Eva Brunne as bishop of the Church of Sweden's Stockholm Diocese, and of pastor Tuulikki Koivunen Bylund as Bishop of Haernoesand in Northern Sweden.
The ordination comes only a few weeks after the Church of Sweden decided to allow church weddings for gay couples.

In Germany on Tuesday, the mayor of Hamburg will actually give a gala dinner for the King and Queen on the occasion of the trade chamber’s jubilee, so I’m certain that there will be nice pics.
Afterwards, the Queen goes on to Berlin on her own to attend a seminar about the sexual abuse of boys in the Swedish embassy in Berlin, and then to Essen, Germany, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the German division of her World Childhood Foundation.

Thank you for the pics!
The event attended by King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia in the cathedral of Uppsala was the ordination of openly gay pastor Eva Brunne as bishop of the Church of Sweden's Stockholm Diocese, and of pastor Tuulikki Koivunen Bylund as Bishop of Haernoesand in Northern Sweden.
The ordination comes only a few weeks after the Church of Sweden decided to allow church weddings for gay couples.

How nice to see a country where gays get the same rights as straight people - countries like that are far and few in between. And how nice that the King and Queen were supportive as well.:)

In the interview, does it take place in her personal office? There seems to be a photo of Pope John Paul and a child in the background. I was struck how small and cluttered the office seemed......I always imagined her having some more regal and expansive setting!

The interview indeed took place in Queen Silvia's own office at Stockholm Palace, which is working space, not a representative room - so I'd say that its being functional is more important here than 'regal' surroundings. It's very rare that a TV crew gets access to it.
The photo in a frame on the window-sill is indeed of Pope John Paul on a visit to Stockholm, kissing a child - the child being Princess Madeleine.

Yesterday morning the queen open the "Geriatrikkonferens" in Norra Latin/Stockholm:

Höj statusen för geriatriker

In the afternoon the king celebrated (in attention the queen) "Prins Eugen medaljen" in castle of Stockholm. Only information and little pic of the king by "royalcourt.se".
Sorry, but I don't find picture with the queen and the price-winner or group-pic together with the royal couple!

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia pose for photographers with Hamburg's Mayor Ole von Beust in Hamburg, northern Germany on 10 November 2009. Sweden's king and queen visit Germany to mark the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the Swedish chamber of commerce in Germany.

Here are some big pics from today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1017625 said:
I just looked for some articles about the visit to Hamburg. I have also found a press- release where it is said that Queen Silvia gave an interview today when she was in Berlin. This interview will be shown in the german tv-magazine "ML Mona Lisa" on 15th November, next sunday, 18 o'clock on ZDF.

Presseportal: ZDF - Silvia von Schweden in Berlin: "Ich gehe mit offenen Augen durch die Welt" / Schwedische Königin gab ZDF-Magazin "ML Mona Lisa" einziges Fernsehinterview

I don't think that this interview was the only interview this year. In Summer German talkmaster Reinhold Beckmann was invited to Stockholm to interview the Queen. This interview was announced as the only interview by the Queen this year. Or does it mean that ML Mona Lisa was chosen to be the only magazine to interview Silvia?

Actually, Queen Silvia has given an unsually large number of interviews this year, also to Swedish TV, but of course 'only interview' sounds much better... in this case, the 'only interview' can't mean anything more than the only interview she gave during her Berlin stay.
Today, she is in Essen/Germany for 'festivities' on the occasion of the World Childhood Foundation / German division's 10th anniversary, but again the royal website doesn't provide any details.
First article with picture from Essen:
http://www.bild.de/BILD/regional/ruhrgebiet/dpa/2009/11/12/schwedens-koenigin-silvia-zu-besuch-in-essen.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom