Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the "balcony" family gets invited if they want to come. I also think the wedding organizers have a really good idea of who gets invited but will not come.

So, are we all thinking the reception after the wedding is a childless affair, excepting the wedding attendants, if they are children (and I think they are)? And that the evening event is adult?

If we are just going adults, late teens and up, there is only about 75-80 Windsor/Spencer guests. Add to that Meghan's family, maybe 100 family. That leaves plenty of room for 200-300 friends, and still 200 or so people from their charities and work. I highly doubt they sent out invitations to people 'they know will not attend'.

I don't see them dumping family members off the guest list. It's not the same as having an intimate ceremony, and deciding not to invite your second cousin once removed because you want your college roommate and husband to attend. Some of the charity representatives Harry may have met them alone a handful of times. There is no need to invite their spouse to attend. Work invites are often just to the individual at a normal wedding. I don't see them not inviting the Duke of Kent, so some worker for center point's wife Harry has never met, can attend.

There will also be many people from their charities outside, among the 2000 invited into the castle grounds to watch.

Limiting it to 600 also means they can invite everyone to the dinner. Instead of saying 'oh well you can come to the ceremony, but not stay for the party'.

So, are we all thinking the reception after the wedding is a childless affair, excepting the wedding attendants, if they are children (and I think they are)? And that the evening event is adult?

The day time reception will be everyone from the ceremony. So if any kids are invited to the ceremony, they will be there. I wouldn't expect any, other then bridal party, and perhaps some teenagers.

The evening party will be late into the evening, so I would think just 200 adults. Not the kind of thing you invite kids to.

I would be surprised if the Kents or the Gloucesters were not invited.

I am sure that everyone who gets a Trooping and Queen’s Christmas lunch invite also gets a wedding invite. Things might change once the Queen is gone, but for now I’m sure she has a say in who comes to her church and to her castle for the reception. And I’m sure Charles gets a say as well. After all, it’s not like Harry and Meghan will be paying for this shindig.
Happens to all of us if our parents are paying for something, they also have the right to make certain rules about the invitees.

However, I don’t think there was any need for the Queen or Charles to say anything in this case, Harry is perfectly aware of who his family members are and who would be expected to get an invitation.

Last edited:
Doesn't a bridesmaid have to be unmarried and childless? (You know this proverb "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride"?)

Doesn't a bridesmaid have to be unmarried and childless? (You know this proverb "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride"?)

I think that doesn't get followed very often these days. They are just called differently if they are married. It's maid of honor for unmarried, and matron of honor for married.

I think its quite acceptable these days to have married women in the bridal party. A lot of women have a Matron of Honor rather than a Maid of Honor.

There are no set rules that I know of.

I doubt it. My guess would be her BFFs Lindsay or Heather who she has known way longer than Jessica. She was Lindsay's MOH. I would put money on them.

Ditto. I'm going with Lindsay as the MOH and the nod to the Mulroney family will be Ivy as a bridesmaid. The one caveat being that I think Jessica would embrace the spotlight, whereas I'm not sure Lindsay will. Not that I think either would try to upstage the bride, but I do think Jessica is more comfortable in the public glare.

Ditto. I'm going with Lindsay as the MOH and the nod to the Mulroney family will be Ivy as a bridesmaid. The one caveat being that I think Jessica would embrace the spotlight, whereas I'm not sure Lindsay will. Not that I think either would try to upstage the bride, but I do think Jessica is more comfortable in the public glare.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be either. But I think the Mulroneys, Benita Litt and family, and Lindsay and family could be put in family seats if they aren’t the maid of honor.

Jessica is not political, but her father-in-law and, most significantly, now her sister-in-law are. Wouldn’t it be controversial to have her in the bridal party, especially with a provincial election coming up soon In Ontario ? I could imagine the papers accusing Meghan of violating the neutrality of the Crown even though, to be fair, she is friends with both Liberals (the Trudeaus) and Conservatives (the Mulroneys).

Last edited:
:previous:Is Jessica's sister-in-law in office or running for office?

I don't want to rehash old debates (please please don't :bang:) but I fully expect the sister-in-law will be low woman on the totem pole of political figures in attendance at the wedding. I think the press will have bigger fish to fry.

As far as I understand, Caroline Mulroney s running for the Legislative Assemby of Ontario and recently ran for Leader of the Progressive Conservative Party in the province, but came thiird. If the Conservstives win the election , ii e get a majority of seats in the Legislative Assembly, she may become a. provincial minister under Ontario’s oarliamentary system of government. That has nothing to do with Jessica though.

Last edited:
Honestly, her sister-in-law is stretching it. Even her father-in-law has been out of office for years. It’s not as if Jessica herself is a politician. Everyone knows she’s one of Meghan’s best friends. If the public wants to make an issue out of her in-laws’ politics and deny Meghan the right to have the person she wants to stand up with her on wedding day, that is quite cruel. It’s not like we have a Maxima situation where Jessica was directly involved in a dictator government.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be either. But I think the Mulroneys, Benita Litt and family, and Lindsay and family could be put in family seats if they aren’t the maid of honor.

In addition to Heather and Markus. I definitely expect all those front and center. She calls them her family and we all know other than her mother and some blood family who stay out the spotlight.... she keeps a very tight circle.

No idea how Jessica's family politics would play into anything. It is no secret that Jessica and Meghan are close and this was pre Harry. I don't think people will read much into her involvement in the wedding.

I agree her daughter likely will be a flower girl. I hope Zara's daughter Mia is one too.

I remember the days when Ronald Reagan and Brian Mulroney were on stage in Ottawa singing “When Irish eyes are smiling”. Good times.

Jessica wouldn’t be considered political. Her friendship predates Harry anyway.

As far as I understand, Caroline Mulroney s running for the Legislative Assemby of Ontario and recently ran for Leader of the Progressive Conservative Party in the province, but came thiird. If the Conservstives win the election , ii e get a majority of seats in The Legislative Assembly, she may become a. provincial minister under Ontario’s oarliamentary system of government.

Caroline is running for what we call a MLA. And her having a seat as a MLA does not depend on her party winning. Actually the other way around. Ontario has 107 MLAs. If you win your constituency, you are a MLA. The party with the most MLAs, their leader becomes premier. PC is the official opposition at the moment (their new party leader Doug Ford though is not the leader of the opposition. He was elected head of the party, but he isn't currently a MLA, so his deputy serves as leader of the opposition in the legislature). PC party stands a chance, Ontario is a liberal strong hold historically federally, but PC does well provincially. Caroline's riding has voted PC the last 3 elections so she stands a good chance being elected.

But I highly doubt that would be a deciding factor. I don't see how Ivy's aunt running for a small provincial riding would stop her from being Meghan's flower girl. Or Jessica possibly being maid of honor.

But then again we all know if Meghan has a matron of honor people will complain Meghan is breaking another tradition.

Lindsay, Jessica, Benita and Heather all seem strong candidates. Since Jessica and Benita's daughters are likely flower girls, maybe they will be taken out of the running. Heather's got a little boy, but like Lindsay's baby, he would be too young to be in the wedding.

Honestly, her sister-in-law is stretching it. Even her father-in-law has been out of office for years. It’s not as if Jessica herself is a politician. Everyone knows she’s one of Meghan’s best friends. If the public wants to make an issue out of her in-laws’ politics and deny Meghan the right to have the person she wants to stand up with her on wedding day, that is quite cruel. It’s not like we have a Maxima situation where Jessica was directly involved in a dictator government.

Yep, short of the sister-in-law suddenly leading an anti monarchy, anti commonwealth campaign which Jessica and her husband are shown supporting, she will be fine.

Discretion is the key. If you’re inside the circle of trust you’re golden. Blab and you’re out in the cold.

Let's move on - Jessica Mulroney's sister-in-law's political career isn't exactly on topic.

Lindsay, Jessica, Benita and Heather all seem strong candidates. Since Jessica and Benita's daughters are likely flower girls, maybe they will be taken out of the running. Heather's got a little boy, but like Lindsay's baby, he would be too young to be in the wedding.

So if 1 of the above is MOH (I'm assuming Meghan won't have multiple adult attendants), are there other roles for H&M's friends in the ceremony i.e. Readings, offerings, etc.? I can't remember what was done for W&K.

So if 1 of the above is MOH (I'm assuming Meghan won't have multiple adult attendants), are there other roles for H&M's friends in the ceremony i.e. Readings, offerings, etc.? I can't remember what was done for W&K.

A reading is possible. James Middleton did the reading for the Cambridge wedding.

Since this is a private wedding and the bride is not British, there are no reasons some of her traditions should not be incorporated into the wedding. Autumn had adult bridesmaids so I don't see a problem with Meghan doing the same.

Since this is a private wedding and the bride is not British, there are no reasons some of her traditions should not be incorporated into the wedding. Autumn had adult bridesmaids so I don't see a problem with Meghan doing the same.

Autumn and Peter were private citizens. Peter besides being the son of the Princess Royal, lives a normal life. Their wedding was not televised. And even then, he got heavily criticized because he sold the photos.

Harry is another matter. He is a senior working royal. His wedding will be televised for all to see. There is definite expectations for his wedding.

I am sure they will get some of their personal tastes in there but most likely during things like the reception when it actually will be private. See how well the cake went down. Heck there is even criticism that they used American ink on invitations.

Kate had an adult maid of honor, so I don't know why Meghan cannot as well if she wishes. That was a more "important" wedding than Harry's.

And while Zara's wedding was a private wedding of the Queen's non-Princess granddaughter, she also had an adult matron of honor.

And as was discussed in another thread, some "rules" assigned to royalty are not necessarily real. I do not think wedding attendant rules are real.

My comment on Meghan likely sticking with one adult attendant wasn't based on some imagined protocol. As others have stated, we've seen adult bridesmaids before. But, Meghan is 36, most of her friends are married with kids, and this is her 2nd wedding. American or not, that's not usually a recipe for big bridal party.

My comment on Meghan likely sticking with one adult attendant wasn't based on some imagined protocol. As others have stated, we've seen adult bridesmaids before. But, Meghan is 36, most of her friends are married with kids, and this is her 2nd wedding. American or not, that's not usually a recipe for big bridal party.

I don't think the issue being discussed here is multiple adult attendants but whether Meghan is even "allowed" ANY adult attendant. Some seem to believe "royal wedding parties" should ONLY be children, that that is the "rule."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom