Harald & Sonja - early years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is beautiful the queen Sonja when she was young .Now she is a beautiful woman.

Thank you. Sonja was beautiful with green dress.

thank you her majesty for these wonderful pics. I love this Sonja' portrait as you

Last edited:
The second cover is a beautiful pic.

She looks very pretty in both of those - very 70s in the first, but I do like the curls in her hair.

You know, she kind of looks like Mette-Marit in the first picture but with brown hair.

Wow, what a great video- Princess Marta Louise looks so much like Queen Sonja, but with those piercing blue eyes. And CP Haakon looks so much like King Harald when he was a young man/prince!

Last edited:
I love the video - thanks for finding that, Her Majesty. I used an automatic translator online for the couple of Dutch subtitles where the audio is in Norwegian, not English, so here's the English text of those parts for anyone who's interested (this may not be entirely correct, so any Dutch or Norwegian members who have a better translation are completely welcome to correct me :flowers:):

In the opening interview, Sonja says: "Last fall the ball began rolling and I understood that it would become reality. Therefore I tried to live quietly to this day. But I did not know when the day would come."

Olav later says: "It is a mixture of expectation and tension, which of course you always have as a father, especially a father without the support of a wife, who must give permission for the marriage of his only son."

Harald later says in the interview: "It has, of course, especially for Sonja, been a burden for so many years to walk around without support. She had to do it alone. For me, it is now a liberation to step outside and for my opinion to come out."

That's interesting, why would they travel under false names? Didn't people know they were going on a honeymoon?

They did know it and that's why they decided to chose false names.
The media thought the newly married couple were on a Yacht on their way to Mexico, but actually they were on Hawaii. They wanted to escape the press and media and spend their honeymoon as anonymously as possible.
This was secretly organized by Norwegian authorities and King Olav.
Article in English:
Google Übersetzer
http://translate.google.de/translat...te-falske-pass-paa-bryllupsreisen&sl=no&tl=en

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/07/30/nyheter/kong_harald/dronning_sonja/slottet/12765404/
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.7228788
http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/innenriks/kongeparet-reiste-med-falske-identiteter-i-1968-3256600.html

Last edited:
Sounds like a good enough idea to me, and people are saying it was illegal to do that?

That story makes me smile. Considering how information-obsessed we are in today's age, I'm surprised to learn that things really haven't changed that much, and the media was so keen to learn where the newlyweds were honeymooning. It's great for King Harald and Queen Sonja that they were unable to sneak away and be undisturbed. After so many years of waiting to be together, it must have been such a relief to finally be man and wife.

On an unrelated note, I had a good giggle at the stories to the side of the Billed Bladet English translation of the KH/QS story. There's a link to one story that says "Prince Haakon was today's man gravy," and is about his participation in the rescue of the sinking boat this weekend. I have no idea what the original Danish meant, but somehow "man gravy" just doesn't translate into English. :lol:

Sounds like a good enough idea to me, and people are saying it was illegal to do that?

Yeah, I was actually in Norway when this story came out and bought a newspaper and my Danish aunt translated the article for me. Dagbladet was making quite an issue of how it was illegal to use fake passports. Never mind that the government itself knowingly issued these passports!

Thank´s Her Majesty I like her old pics. She was a beautiful woman. Do you know where was taken this pic?:flowers:
It was taken at her 40th birthday during a regatta in Hankø. :)

Back
Top Bottom