German Palaces, Castles and other Royal Buildings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have interior photos of the Grand Ducal Schloss in Oldenburg?

I found [URL="http://www.fuerstenfamilien.de/pics/oldenburg_02.jpg"]this[/URL] image from [URL="http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.fuerstenfamilien.de/heft_20.html"]this[/URL] site, FuerstenFamilien.de

[URL="http://www.fuerstenfamilien.de/pics/sachsen-coburg_02.jpg"]Here[/URL] are some images of Friedenstein Schloss Gotha and Ehrenburg Schloss Coburg.

I also want to add more castles that I found. Again this is the orangerie at [URL="http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/channel/3/extra/new/display/10174468"]Schloss Berleburg.[/URL]

[URL="http://www.marksburg.de/english/frame.htm"]Here[/URL] is another link. This time the castle is Marksburg. The castle itself is quite impressive as well as its history. You might also want to check out the[URL="http://www.deutsche-burgen.org/institut_en/index2.htm"]German Castle Association[/URL] which aims to preserve and restore various castles in Germany.

Last edited:
Photos of Schloß Bückeburg (the Princely house of Schaumburg-Lippe):

Schloss Bückeburg

Each year, they organize impressive theme festivals. This year (May 22nd-25th), the festival is about Venice's Carnival and the Baroque Passion.
Here's a perspective over last years festivals:

Last edited:
Princes of Schaumburg-Lippe: Schloss Bückeburg

Thanks Elsa :)
While we're on the subject of the Schaumburg-Lippes, here is an aerial picture taken at the time of Fürst Alexander's wedding last year (the white marquee can be seen on the left). This home/schloss/palace/complex is quite something:

You're very welcome, dear sir! ;)

This home/schloss/palace/complex is quite something
Indeed it is!
In this photo of yours, we can see the "inner patio", which is absolutely gorgeous... as everything else in this palace.

Last edited:
some Photos i took last summer from Bückeburg Castle

The Mausoleum

Schloss Arolsen in Bad Arolsen, of the Fuersts of Waldeck u. Pyrmont:

Facade from a distance

Great website with pictures of the castle, here.

From this wikipedia page:

The Baroque stately home, Schloss Arolsen, belonging originally to the Princes of Waldeck-Pyrmont with its imposing construction was built in the years 1713-1728 by architect Julius Ludwig Rothweil. Of particular importance are the ceiling paintings by the Italian artist Carlo Ludovici Castelli, and the outstanding stucco works by Andrea Gallasini.

Facade at a closer inspection

View from the sky

Flowers

Chapel of the castle

Last edited:
some photos of Zeil Castle the residence of Fürst Georg and Fürstin Marie Gabriele of Waldburg zu zeil und Trauchburg. As the couple lives in the Castle it can not visited inside but you can walk around it and the beautiful Park.

Is the furst the only owner of the castle or other family members own portion of it? Does the family own other castles? Since the erbgraf has just daughters do you think it is more likely that they will inherited the castle or that it will be bequeathed to the succesor in the princely title?

Did ANY Royals from East Germany get castles back?

On various threads and googling around I have read that some of the royals whose territories were in the former E. Germany got some compensation for the property the Communists had confiscated after WW II once Germany reunited.. And I know that some who were lucky enough to have had land on both sides of the East/West divide, i.e. the Hohenzollerns and Coburgs, always retained at least one castles. But have any of the German royals regained castles in the East? Do any of them even want to, given how difficult they are to maintain?

Churburg Castle

Anyone visited the lovely churburg castle in Südtirol?
Churburg, dates back to 1253. Successive generations of the Matsch and Trapp families added to the original fortress. Churburg is best known, however, for its impressive armory. Churburg holds over 50 suits of armor, making this collection the world's largest private armory.

I really enjoyed seeing this beautiful castle in 2001 when I visited south Tirol for my brother's wedding.
Took some great shots! Inside was real impressive as well.;)

Churburg Castle

I would really appreciate seeing your shots, if you have the time to send them to cdh@aon.at.Where did your brother get married?And where are you?Regards,cdh

My favorite German castle is Neuschwanstein.Very beautiful! It looks like it came out of a fairy tale! I hope one day I will visit the castle.

IloveCP said:
My favorite German castle is Neuschwanstein.Very beautiful! It looks like it came out of a fairy tale! I hope one day I will visit the castle.

No surprise the castle in Disney's Snow white looks like Neuschwanstein. It was Disney's inspiration while making the movie.

Does anybody have any photos of the inside of the "Sleeping Beauty" castle? (I forget what it's called.) It inspired Walt Disney's design of the castle in his movie of the same name. I looked on Google and wikipedia, and it seems all the photos I find are of the exterior. I don't know if it's Habsburg or Hohenzollern...

Does anybody have any photos of the inside of the "Sleeping Beauty" castle? (I forget what it's called.) It inspired Walt Disney's design of the castle in his movie of the same name. I looked on Google and wikipedia, and it seems all the photos I find are of the exterior. I don't know if it's Habsburg or Hohenzollern...

Do you mean Neuschwanstein? It was once owned by the Wittelsbach and is today owned by the Bayerische Verwaltung der staatlichen Schlösser, Gärten und Seen, so basically the state of Bavaria.

Yep, that's the 1! Germany sure knows how to choose the most prettiest scenic places for their castles!

Last edited:
Marienburg Castle in Hanover was a summer residence of the Royal Family of Hanover. It was once given as a birthday present by King George V of Hanover to his wife, Queen Marie.

For Marienburg Castle:
www.schloss-marienburg.com

An example of late-19th-century technology in the Castle of Neuschwanstein is the electric bell system.
Weikersheim Castle is situated on the River Tauber in the province of Baden-Wurttemberg, the seat of the Counts of Hohenlohe.
In 1586 Count Wolfgang II of Hohenlohe began the conversion of the medieval moated castle into a prestigious residence.
Ludwigsburg Palace (Schloss Ludwigsburg) in the town of Ludwigsburg is a castle that was built between 1704 and 1733.
It was known as the "Swabian Versailles".
In 1718 Scloss Ludwigsburg became the official residence.
Under Duke Eberhard Ludwig of Wurttemberg, the architecture was Austo-Hungarian and the décor was Baroque.

For Neuschwantstein, King Ludwig II wanted only painters of historical subjects who had studied medieval poetry and who took pains to remain faithful to historic reality, or what Ludwig considered to be such, based on his own knowledge and reading.

Sondershausen Palace is in Thuringia.
Prince Christian Gunther III (Prince from 1758 to 1794) added the Blue Hall to the west wing of Sondershausen Palace.
The Blue Hall is in the Rococo style.
The dominant colors, blue and white, reflect the state colors of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Schloss Marienburg
Seat of the Royal House of Hanover

HanoverSchlossMarienburg2.jpg

Posted under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported licence
Image courtesy of Wikipedia
Schloss Marienburg - May 2011
Attribution: Michael Gäbler

Trechtingshausen is a good town on the Rhine for castle visiting as it has two - Rheinstein and Reichenstein.

It is easy to take the local train to this town and walk to both castles - Rheichenstein is not far from the train station, and Rheinstein is along a flat walking/cycling path between the river and the road and this lead to the front of the castle. You walk pass vineyards and the caravan park. There are many camping/caravan parks along the Rhine.

You can also walk through the woods as we did - though we we're sure we'd wandered of on the wrong trail at different times, as the trees are so dense, you can't actually see Rheinstein until you're upon it - or in fact the Rhine River, though you can hear the trains and barges going along it.

The trail is marked with little donkey signs, as this is how supplies used to be taken to the castle.

We were just about to turn back - after an hour and a half of walking - when a very keen hiker came up the trail the other way, and although he didn't speak English, and we didn't speak German, we were able to understand that we should just keep going and we'd get there.

Both Queen Victoria and Tsarina Alexandra were guests at Rheinstein.

Wonderful views from the towers and a nice garden between the castle and the chapel.

(The chapel has a crypt where you can see the wooden coffins of the Prince and his parents.)

Germany is a very economic place to visit, and the local people of the Rhine are wonderfully generous and helpful.

Both arms of my husband's glasses broke off as we arrived at the train station, and an optometrist in Bingen, where we were staying, took the arms off another pair and didn't want any payment for fixing them, and the soles of my husband's boot split of - very old boots he was quoted $75.00 to fix in Oz - and the shoe repairer fixed them, and polished them, for $20.00.

(Also, I bought a bag for the equivalent of $7.50 that I had bought in Tasmania in January for $35.00. I saw this same bag for sale in Ireland for $45.00 and at a train station in France for $99.00! So firstly, things are really global aren't they - the exact same bag in so many places, and then the difference in pricing - so I was happy to get a second one for such a small price, but wasn't tempted in the other locations.)

Here are a few of my photos of Rheinstein.

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpg
    IMG_6634.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6918.jpg
    IMG_6918.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6919.jpg
    IMG_6919.jpg