General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
> I do not think they will be worried about money. Day to day expenses will no doubt be covered by Daddy, and I am sure some wealthy benefactor (Oprah? George Clooney? somebody else) will have been found who will lend them a suitably special house in LA for a few years.

> As regards paparrazzi, again I do not think they will be worried particularly. As long as they can be pictured in the right setting and control their narrative, I would be surprised if they genuinely had a concern with the media.

Is "Daddy" (I guess that is Charles) going to go on funding them all the time, with the world sliding into recession? Charles will have many demands on his funds for charities... and times will be harder.

Is "Daddy" (I guess that is Charles) going to go on funding them all the time, with the world sliding into recession? Charles will have many demands on his funds for charities... and times will be harder.

I have no doubt they would have secured funding up to a certain limit per year from the Prince of Wales for at least the next 3-5 years, if not for the lifetime of Charles. My guess is that any monies that H&M make will obviously be separate from that, and I doubt that will reduce the financial commitment of the PoW in any way.

I have no doubt they would have secured funding up to a certain limit per year from the Prince of Wales for at least the next 3-5 years, if not for the lifetime of Charles.

Im sure they want that, but the present crisis may make things problematic. Can they earn a living at present? I m not sure that they can make their own money, with travel being difficult and there wont be much money for people to buy merchandise. How much will security cost in the present climate. I would not be surprised if Charles is saying to tehm "come home to the UK for the next year or so, until things improve again". That way, they could live safely and security would cost less.

and really, if this had not happened and they were able to earn their onw living I think Charles should be albe to withdraw his funding.. WHy should he support a couple who want to earn their own money and who already have a reasonable private fortune.

Im sure they want that, but the present crisis may make things problematic. Can they earn a living at present? I m not sure that they can make their own money, with travel being difficult and there wont be much money for people to buy merchandise. How much will security cost in the present climate. I would not be surprised if Charles is saying to tehm "come home to the UK for the next year or so, until things improve again". That way, they could live safely and security would cost less.

and really, if this had not happened and they were able to earn their onw living I think Charles should be albe to withdraw his funding.. WHy should he support a couple who want to earn their own money and who already have a reasonable private fortune.

I am sure Charles will not want a situation where H&M feel financially insecure, and are potentially driven to raising financing from sources that may not be considered kosher. In practice, it does not matter whether that is indeed the case or not, the possibility of it will be enough to ensure that Charles will continue to provide for Harry and his family for the forseeable future.

I find it all very hard to believe. California or a hotspot. Why would they move their now and place themselves and their son in more immediate danger. Perhaps they plan to but will wait until "normal life.I

Just want to throw this in the mix. Meghan does have a source of income at this time just from the years she was on Suits and starred in Hallmark movies. I can't begin to guess what the amount is but each time a movie or an episode of Suits is shown in syndication or a set of DVDs is sold with episodes Meghan was in earns her an income. I don't believe Meghan is hurting for money at all and has a nice little nest egg. ;)

This is a prime example but I want to note that the cast of "Friends" attained more popularity with that show than "Suits" ever did. This is just an example of how it works.

"All six cast members — Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry — receive 2 percent of the syndication income, which is about $20 million for each person per year, USA Today reports. The show brings in about $1 billion per year for Warner Bros."

https://ktar.com/story/2373456/each-member-of-friends-cast-makes-20m-every-year-due-to-reruns/

I am sure Charles will not want a situation where H&M feel financially insecure, and are potentially driven to raising financing from sources that may not be considered kosher. In practice, it does not matter whether that is indeed the case or not, the possibility of it will be enough to ensure that Charles will continue to provide for Harry and his family for the forseeable future.

Nice for them. I fear youre right that Charles will feel obliged to go on giving them an allowance for life. As things stand, they can't earn a living and when things improve, I am not sure it will be all that easy.

I'm not a bit surprised.
I always believed they'd end up in California eventually; didn't take them very long, either.

If Charles doesn't provide, chances are they'll end in an undignified scramble for money, like Fergie. So I would expect him to provide funds for the foreseeable future.

Just want to throw this in the mix. Meghan does have a source of income at this time just from the years she was on Suits and starred in Hallmark movies. I can't begin to guess what the amount is but each time a movie or an episode of Suits is shown in syndication or a set of DVDs is sold with episodes Meghan was in earns her an income. I don't believe Meghan is hurting for money at all and has a nice little nest egg. ;)

This is a prime example but I want to note that the cast of "Friends" attained more popularity with that show than "Suits" ever did. This is just an example of how it works.

"All six cast members — Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry — receive 2 percent of the syndication income, which is about $20 million for each person per year, USA Today reports. The show brings in about $1 billion per year for Warner Bros."

https://ktar.com/story/2373456/each-member-of-friends-cast-makes-20m-every-year-due-to-reruns/

No offense, but comparing Suits to Friends is like comparing a prime rib to Macdonald’s. One is tasty the other is trashy.
No doubt Meghan may make some money from Suits- not much as she didn’t earn that much to begin with- even in my country they never aired repeats of the show especially since it got cancelled, and most countries will follow suit shortly if they haven’t already, I mean let’s be honest it’s the kind of generic stupid show where something similar pops up every year on a cable channel, friends on the other end? Like I said: prime rib. Also had a whole lot more rating and star power.

And at the current situation the smartest thing these two should have done was pack their stuff and go back to the U.K..but that’s not what Meghan wants- to selfishly serve and help people, which is why they are likely in California..
Honestly I can’t see how they are gonna get anything going right now or in the near future, they don’t have the star power (they really don’t- just look at their silly posts!) or money.

No of

And at the current situation the smartest thing these two should have done was pack their stuff and go back to the U.K..but that’s not what Meghan wants- to selfishly serve and help people, which is why they are likely in California..
Honestly I can’t see how they are gonna get anything going right now or in the near future, they don’t have the star power (they really don’t- just look at their silly posts!) or money.

I agree that Meghan's show in no way compares to something massively popular like Friends. I think that Charles might have advised or suggested them come back to the UK for the time being.. as it would be easier to arrange their security here, and less costly and for the moment their plans for work must be on hold. Its still possible, I think to travel back to the UK.. But I don't think Meg would like the idea unless she was very pushed.. and then I think the public and press would have a field day sayng that she had had to come back because she wasn't making money in N America. and if they wait much longer it may not be possible to come back to the uK.

I don't knowif they will go to California though. is this confirmed?

Thanks for the feedback on the shows. To be honest, I never watched either of those shows so I have no idea but the point being is that Meghan does receive residuals from works she has done.

We will never know what their financial status is at any given time as they're to be private individuals after March 31st so I am withdrawing from commenting on their money, how they may attain it and who's providing it.

They did seem to hit the wrong time to start a new life though and I don't see this virus pandemic going away any time really soon. I just hope that they're safe and warm and healthy. That's what really matters right now. ?

"A/[/url]
do you really think that repeat fees for Suits is going to keep them? sorry I didn't see the post above mine when I posted this. Plese delete it?

Thanks for the feedback on the shows. To be honest, I never watched either of those shows so I have no idea but the point being is that Meghan does receive residuals from works she has done.

We will never know what their financial status is at any given time as they're to be private individuals after March 31st so I am withdrawing from commenting on their money, how they may attain it and who's providing it.

They did seem to hit the wrong time to start a new life though and I don't see this virus pandemic going away any time really soon. I just hope that they're safe and warm and healthy. That's what really matters right now. ?

No it will be at least 6 months or a year before life returns to normal. And then I think the economy will be struggling for years and its not a good time for them to start selling merchandise. ANd I think that by then the lecture circuit will have lost interest in Harry so that side of their career is not going to do too well.

I just keep thinking that all things happen for a reason and sometimes the biggest blessings are in the challenges we face sprung at us from out of the blue without warning like this virus has.

I do wish the Sussexes well wherever they may end up and with whatever they do in their lives. Now I'm just going to sit back and watch and wait for news and information. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble and healthy. :D

I find it all very hard to believe. California or a hotspot. Why would they move their now and place themselves and their son in more immediate danger. Perhaps they plan to but will wait until "normal life.I

That was my first thought. I’d stay in Canada for now. California is one of the last states I’ve choose to move to now.

I'm not a bit surprised.
I always believed they'd end up in California eventually; didn't take them very long, either.

If Charles doesn't provide, chances are they'll end in an undignified scramble for money, like Fergie. So I would expect him to provide funds for the foreseeable future.

Harry and Meghan have probably already made millions of dollars in the short time they have been away. Even without Prince Charles, they won't ever have to worry about money. Let get real here.

oh for Pete sake, Harry is not broke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, let's move on now please. Time will tell how the Sussex's will support themselves financially so until we know more officially, let's not speculate on their finances.

As for H and M moving to LA, it’s their life...they can do what they want. The fact that their support group consists of agents and PR people, however, gives me the hives. I DO agree that staying in Canada would have been the more prudent thing to do.

The duke and duchess were in Canada for six months; this is the maximum stay allowed for visitors to the country. Clearly the decision was taken to not give them preferential treatment in granting either diplomatic status or a ministerial residential permit. The duchess retains her American citizenship so that a move to the United States is a simple solution to their residential problems and I imagine her husband is eligible for a residency visa. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what American procedure is in this case: American TRF members chime in please!

The duke and duchess were in Canada for six months; this is the maximum stay allowed for visitors to the country. Clearly the decision was taken to not give them preferential treatment in granting either diplomatic status or a ministerial residential permit. The duchess retains her American citizenship so that a move to the United States is a simple solution to their residential problems and I imagine her husband is eligible for a residency visa. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what American procedure is in this case: American TRF members chime in please!

It might not be that easy.. for the spouse of an American citizen to get citizenship. and this has been discussed before but to get American citizenship Harry wuodl have to renounce all foreign allegiances. Wherever they live, at present, working is notgoing to be easy....

If indeed the Sussexes have moved to the U.S., I imagine a big factor was the question of residency in Canada.
There is no problem in Meghan living in the U.S. and there is no question about their marriage, so it really wouldn't be an issue for Harry to get permanent residency. He doesn't have to become a citizen.

There isn't anything controversial here at all.

Last edited:

This is a very accurate point. Their time was up. It was either return to the UK or go to the US where Meghan and Archie are also citizens. Though to be fair we have no idea where they are but I am sure we will have confirmation sooner or later.

Frankly I don't fault them for being with family during this. Doria has no one. The Windsors are all spread out themselves. Harry and Meghan were in Canada. As for Harry's being in the US? He is married to a citizen. He can apply for residency.

It might not be that easy.. for the spouse of an American citizen to get citizenship. and this has been discussed before but to get American citizenship Harry wuodl have to renounce all foreign allegiances. Wherever they live, at present, working is notgoing to be easy....

He doesn't have to become a citizen. He can be a permanent resident. In any event, the US doesn't require new citizens to renounce all other allegiances any longer.

I think they will be fine. They aren't in the same situation as Fergie when she divorced Andrew. Meghan has a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the US. She managed to succeed in a profession that most people fail at, even as people try to belittle her work on Suits, it's important to remember that she worked to get a foot in the door for ten years before she landed that role. She's intelligent and hard working, and is used to surviving on her own.

Meghan has a support system in LA. She knows the area and people will be accepting of Harry.

He doesn't have to become a citizen. He can be a permanent resident. In any event, the US doesn't require new citizens to renounce all other allegiances any longer.

really? Because that was not what I have read on this forum about becoming an Americna citizen. Would Harry meet the criteria for becoming permanent resident or is it just necessary to be married to a citizen

But isn't that just eligbility to apply? YOu still have to meet criteria to get the card? But I suppose they have enough money to support themselves.

After reading eligibility rules, unless Harry has a criminal past or was previously deported (which he hasn't) he is fine. They meet the financial requirements. Some seem to forget Meghan has her own money (to sponsor him) Harry also has money. He doesn't need to become a citizen.

Timing not ideal, but again how do you plan for a pandemic? If there was a time limit for his long they could stay in Canada, then there were only 2 places for them to legally settle. They are probably in a compound or gated community similar to Princess Madeline of Sweden.

Last edited:
There are not very many countries they could even travel to at this point. Most countries have closed their borders to pleasure travelers.

Technically they have been there for four months or so. They went late November for Thanksgiving. They would have until the end of May if they had been consistently in Canada all of that time.

Technically every time they left Canada, their stay officially ended. If Archie indeed went with them back recently in March, they re-started that count.

Harry and Meghan could easily get working Visas to remain in Canada. If they took positions with a Canadian company (they would be good brand sponsors) the company would simply need to apply for a visa for them. Visas for citizens of commonwealth countries are usually quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom