General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...oyal-split-racked-bill-couple-doing-deal.html

Richard Kay's piece about whether H&M are keeping up with their side of the bargain.

Is he seriously saying because they kept birth plans of Archie private as the issue? Seriously? We actually got more out of Archie’s birth than other babies in this generation at this point in the child’s life. If people could just look past the lack of feeding frenzy outside of a hospital because why would we want that? And btw, I do notice the criticism of Meghan daring to miss a state visit often comes from male writers. How dare she not return to work 4 weeks post partum. Quite cruel.

And seriously, where has it been said that Duke of Gloucester offered their KP home to Harry?

If he wants to talk money, stick to the money. Talk about the boost to tourism.

Last edited:
If he wants to talk money, stick to the money. Talk about the boost to tourism.

As a columnist, Richard can write pretty much what he wants, subject to editorial control. It is for the readers to decide that which is credible and that which is not.

And seriously, where has it been said that Duke of Gloucester offered their KP home to Harry?

It was widely suggested in the media last year that the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester was being considered for Harry. How true that may be, I can't quite comment on.

Very flawed arguments from Piers Morgan, but unfortunately for the BRF, the antipathy between Meghan and Piers is causing problems for The Firm!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-millions-Harry-Meghan-mansion-makeover.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It was widely suggested in the media last year that the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester was being considered for Harry. How true that may be, I can't quite comment on.

However, no one ever reported that the Gloucesters actually offered their home.

It's simply the media thinking it's available because, supposedly, they offered it to the Cambridges years ago. We still don't how true that is, and certainly, many things could've changed that even if they did.

And btw, why do people assume that 30 some year olds with a newborn could just simply move into a home that's been occupied by empty nesters in their 70s? And of course, another accommodation would've to be found for Gloucesters with renovations if they moved out. Do people expect The Queen to just toss her cousins out onto the streets?

Last edited:
Morgan's article is practically a carbon copy of Richard Kay's, just repeating the same tired arguments and false claims.

So Frogmore renovations were paid with a tax refund?

Yes because it is actually owned by the crown estate, not Harry and Meghan. They paid to maintain the building walls, floors, ceiling, heating, plumbing. The couple paid for all of the internal features/fixtures.

Yes because it is actually owned by the crown estate, not Harry and Meghan. They paid to maintain the building walls, floors, ceiling, heating, plumbing. The couple paid for all of the internal features/fixtures.

This is the truth that gets spun out of context quite a bit. It happened with the renovations to Apt. 1A and now with Frogmore Cottage.

The spin is to lay at the royal's feet the *huge* amount of money being spent to make their residences lush and lavish and totally forget that the money being spent on structural repairs is needed preservation for generations to come no matter who lives there. Its called property maintenance as is usually required of *anyone* that owns residential property.

Harry and Meghan do not own Frogmore Cottage and the work being done is to ensure that it will be a solid, standing residence for many generations to come. Its entirely possible that 100 years from now, it could be William's grandchild and spouse that move in there.

Piers would not write that article if he and Meghan are friends. Meh, who cares what he thinks.

Last edited:
Piers would not write that article if he and Meghan are friends.

Exactly!

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I can't help feeling Meghan made a mistake antagonizing Piers.

It wouldn't have taken much to keep him on her side, and he'd mount a defense against all the hostile media reports that are being published. JMO.

Very flawed arguments from Piers Morgan, but unfortunately for the BRF, the antipathy between Meghan and Piers is causing problems for The Firm!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-millions-Harry-Meghan-mansion-makeover.html

I find it interesting that Piers refers to Frogmore Cottage as actually being “ a mansion” and not the dictionary definition of “ cottage” ( a small home in the countryside).

Although that is true, it just highlights that what looks like a mansion to us common folk might be merely a cottage by royal standards !

Exactly!

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I can't help feeling Meghan made a mistake antagonizing Piers.

It wouldn't have taken much to keep him on her side, and he'd mount a defense against all the hostile media reports that are being published. JMO.

I don't know, that might have worked in the short term, but my best guess is that he's the kind of person who if she tried to set boundaries, he'd trample all over them and the end result would be the same. Diana was the master of this, and even for her, it didn't work forever.

Piers has history even with Harry. Back in the day when Piers was a newspaper editor he was Harry’s chief tormentor.

Piers eviscerated Harry over his nazi fancy dress and racial slurs. Referring to an Asian fellow soldier as a ‘paki’

So it’s not like any of this is really new. The simplest answer to all of this is it’s Meghan’s turn to suffer the slings and arrows of the tabloids. All royals go through it.

Last edited:
Exactly!

I'm not going to 'jump on you' but I disagree. No person should have to placate another person that they don't want to interact with in order for them not to harrass or bully them. I would never give that advice to anyone.

I don't know, that might have worked in the short term, but my best guess is that he's the kind of person who if she tried to set boundaries, he'd trample all over them and the end result would be the same. Diana was the master of this, and even for her, it didn't work forever.

Agreed. Appeasement has never worked with people who takes a yard when you give an inch.

Exactly!

Its my understanding that the one time Meghan met Mr. Morgan, it was before she even met Harry. There was no "in" to be gained with the BRF at the time at all.

Meghan, rightfully, took Harry's advice and stayed as far away from any media as she possibly could. In other words, Morgan wasn't the only one "ghosted" once Meghan was on the path to joining the BRF. She also shut down her blog and closed her social media.

If she had made an exception in Morgan's case, she would have been giving someone an inch that would want to turn it into a mile. So, in my opinion, she not only did what was right but also did something very wise. If Morgan's ego took a hit, that's on him alone and no one else.

We don't know when and why she cut off contact, it might have had nothing to do with meeting Harry specifically.

Though I imagine Harry wouldn't have been very happy that his girlfriend was friends with Piers Morgan (not that they should dictate each other's friends) and she was already getting bashed on this board and others for meeting with him and being Twitter friends, despite him having a different profile in the US at the time.

It was probably awesome for him when the story broke because he thought he had an in. He's salty he doesn't have the access he feels entitled to, which would have included exclusives and invites which would not have been a good idea.

A number of comments have been deleted. Swipes at reporters are against the forum rules. Debating the contents of an article is fine, but calling reporters creepy, obsessed, psychotic, etc is not.

If you wish to continue discussing the cost of Frogmore Cottage, you can so in the Frogmore Cottage and Nottingham thread.

Also, Meghan's brief friendship with Piers (and why they no longer speak) has been endlessly discussed, so let's not go down that road again. Let's stick to discussing the article and not the reporter. Further posts will be deleted. Thanks.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Piers refers to Frogmore Cottage as actually being “ a mansion” and not the dictionary definition of “ cottage” ( a small home in the countryside).

Although that is true, it just highlights that what looks like a mansion to us common folk might be merely a cottage by royal standards !

From the pictures we have seen, it is not exactly what we would call a cottage. If anything, it appears to be 5 cottages knocked into one!

Meghan, rightfully, took Harry's advice and stayed as far away from any media as she possibly could.

I would so like that to be true. However, it does appear that Meghan authorised some of her friends to speak to the media on her behalf. Not the wisest move, IMO.

Well, all houses would be compared to the big house on the property.
In comparison to Windsor Castle everything else is a cottage. The house wasn’t named by a middle class 21st century person, after all.

I think @Mirabel has a point. It is not so much about being close friends with a particular journalist or another, but as a public figure, Meghan needs to learn to carry the journalists with her.

Take the case of Camilla. She appreciates that as the future Queen and with her chequered history, she needs the media on her side. There was a recent article about how she met him a few times recently at various events, including a charity event at Winfield House, and he was completely charmed by the lady.

Meghan will do well to learn from those around her in the BRF.

I think @Mirabel has a point. It is not so much about being close friends with a particular journalist or another, but as a public figure, Meghan needs to learn to carry the journalists with her.

Take the case of Camilla. She appreciates that as the future Queen and with her chequered history, she needs the media on her side. There was a recent article about how she met him a few times recently at various events, including a charity event at Winfield House, and he was completely charmed by the lady.

Meghan will do well to learn from those around her in the BRF.

Meghan will do well to do what is best for her and that obviously doesn't include befriending "journalists" nor should it, imo. That was never going to be the solution for her.

Meghan will do well to do what is best for her and that obviously doesn't include befriending "journalists" nor should it, imo. That was never going to be the solution for her.

You may note that I am not at all suggesting that she befriends journalists, she should just try and not antagonsie them.

You may note that I am not at all suggesting that she befriends journalists, she should just try and not antagonsie them.

Deciding not to befriend or have a relationship with them is not antagonizing them. And that is essentially the issue here.

Right. Meghan is actually more cordial of the young royals toward media at her events.

What exactly has Meghan done to any journalist? We have seen her friendly when they interact. People using this one person who spews his version of events for web clicks and tv rating knowing she can’t defend herself says it all. If someone can provide an example outside of this particular media face who didn’t seem to care until October 2016, then I might can understand this critique.

However, no one ever reported that the Gloucesters actually offered their home.

It's simply the media thinking it's available because, supposedly, they offered it to the Cambridges years ago. We still don't how true that is, and certainly, many things could've changed that even if they did.

And btw, why do people assume that 30 some year olds with a newborn could just simply move into a home that's been occupied by empty nesters in their 70s? And of course, another accommodation would've to be found for Gloucesters with renovations if they moved out. Do people expect The Queen to just toss her cousins out onto the streets?

Today's news is that they are moving out. A different building within the grounds of Kensington Palace is being prepared for them, so they will move out later this year.

So yes, there is a lot of credibility to the story that the Gloucesters were willing to let Harry & Meghan take Apartment 1. They didn't take up that offer but it seems it was made.

I like that Meghan prepares for her work & just does it, reminds me of Princess Anne. There’s no need to court certain media. There are some honest journalists who are professional & respectful who can surely appreciate a hardworking person like Meghan. Harry said in his engagement interview that he felt so fortunate to meet someone like Meghan as a partner in life & work, together they make an fantastic team.

Where is the general goodwill, the basic well-willingness in British media? All this vitriol splashed out in British media, from Camilla to "Princess Pushy", from Diana to "Meghan Kardashian". Good heavens. I thought the British were balanced, gentlemanlike, well-behaved and would rather stiffen the upper lip than spout verbal diarrhoea. It seems I was so wrong. British media never fail to surprise me with their vile nastiness, their zest to inject poisonous evil in society. It is beyond belief.

Please explain how she is has antagonized anyone. I’m truly curious because I’ve yet to see her utter a word despite the ongoing campaign attacking her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom