General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had another Feast Day (or rather, two):

It is Pentecost, or Whitsun - another "movable feast" :) ... and it happens 50 days after Easter.

Penta means 50.

Today is not just the longest day, but also La fête de la musique

Not just in Monaco, but all along the Alpes-Maritimes, and inland also: Grasse has fifty groups !

Côte d'Azur: où fêter la musique? | Nice-Matin

http://www.monaco.mc/Pages/Accueil/...rs/fete_de_la_musique___demandez_le_programme__

In other parts of Europe, this day is known as Saint Cecilia's Day.
She is known as the Patroness of Musicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cecilia

Last edited:
Monaco's Opéra Gallery is showing lesser known or unknown works by Pablo Picasso, from June 24th until August 27th.

Didier Viltard, gallery director, has spent a year and a half to assemble thirty-four works which will be for sale. Twelve of these have never been exhibited.

Another scoop for Monaco...

Du « nouveau » chez Picasso | Monaco Hebdo

A first for Monaco :

A delegation of Albert's "sapeurs-pompiers" (Fire Brigade) have been invited to take part in the great march-past on July 14th along the Champs-Élysées in Paris for French National Day.

The guys have been invited because it's the Bicentenary of the Paris Brigade. Also invited are firemen from China and Chile.

Monaco au 14*juillet | Monaco Hebdo

Last edited:
L'art contemporain et la Côte d'Azur. Un territoire pour l'experimentation. 1951 - 2011

This summer, 50 venues (museums, galleries, ateliers, foundations....) celebrate 60 years of creativity on the Côte.

There will be a 16 page supplement with Nice-Matin.

Last edited:
Death of Otto von Habsburg :

I wonder whether anyone from the Monaco Family will be attending the funeral of the last Habsburg ?

After the end of WWII, Otto von Habsburg was stateless.
Guess who gave him a passport ??

Monaco in 1946, through the intervention of Charles de Gaulle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Habsburg

Last edited:
:previous: This might be why the Albert and Charlene are cutting their honeymoon in South Africa short, and going back to Monaco.

The Monaco Government has presented the budget to the National Council.

Words like "morosité", "inquiétude" and "fort déficit" were in the air when the 2011 budget was discussed. "La crise" was not totally to blame, though.

Does anyone know if there will be any celebrations for tomorrow? I think tomorrow is the 6th Anniversary of Albert II in the throne.

Does anyone know if there will be any celebrations for tomorrow? I think tomorrow is the 6th Anniversary of Albert II in the throne.
He accended the throne the day his father died, not in July when he had a sort of investiture after the mourning period ended. His reign began the moment Rainier died.

He accended the throne the day his father died, not in July when he had a sort of investiture after the mourning period ended. His reign began the moment Rainier died.
Oh, i was expecting something for tomorrow.
Well, nevermind.
Thanks!

A question about Cori Kirk's books

I was wondering, does anyone here know about any reactions from Rainier or Albert regarding the 1998 and 2002 books by Cori Kirk?
(The reactions, if any, would have to have been very private, I assume, because there's no sign of them in publicly available resources.)

I should note that I am not particularly gullible - certainly no more than most people appear to be. :)

However, these books name names - very specific names, and very specific events. I have only browsed through the more recent one (Finding Grace in Monaco), and certainly it is no roman a clef. Which is why I find it odd that there seems to have been no apparent - or, more accurately, no recorded - attempt to deny her claims.

I know that, speaking generally, there is no better strategy than absolute stone-cold refusal to even acknowledge the existence of anyone we find unpleasant to the extreme; I know that, my mother trained me well, thank you, mami. :)

However, this is a luxury that few very prominent personalities can afford, especially those who are attached to a very traditional image of themselves in the eyes of the public - such as monarchs.

So, it is my hope that somebody here knows more about this lady and the Grimaldi's possible reactions to her.

If so, I'd be grateful if you'd share this information.
Thank you.

P.S. Believe it or not, I am researching this for perfectly valid (and utterly un-scandalous) purposes. :)

Never heard of the author either, but suspect she lives in some sort of fantasy land and her readers may need to suspend belief to finish the book. She claims that Prince Louis de Polignac groomed her to be Prince Alberts wife and that Albert urged her to make Monaco her permanent residence but that she turned him down.

From the Amazon listing for the book: "Cori Kirk's FINDING GRACE IN MONACO is an authentic documentation of the author's extraordinary spiritual quest, and the unforseen turn of events that led to her becoming an unofficial "princess" in Monaco. Kirk shares with readers the intricate workings of royalty from a non-journalistic position in her first-hand account of living amongst the royal family of Monaco. Struggling with personal losses - financial ruin, divorce and raising her young child in Victoria, Kirk took a leap of faith and escaped to Monaco in search of work."

She now apparently lives in British Columbia and is some sort of a nutritional consultant.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh, how fun!!! People do tend to be more foolish in high summer!

How do the Monaco Royals Travel?

I am sure that Prince Albert, Princess Caroline, and Princess Stepanie all travel overseas for official duties but how do they travel. Do they each have a royal plane that they use or do that share one as a family. I know Monaco does not have an airport. So, how does that work?

All have traveled commercial from time to time. I think PA is the only one with a plane. They may also go by private charter sometimes. The Casiraghis are also part owners of a helicopter company based in Monaco. It flies along the riviera, N. Italy and also as far north as Switzerland, but not to Paris.

:previous:

In addition to the already given information: as Monaco does not have an own airport, they use the nearby
French airport of Nice. We've often seen pictures of the Princesses and their children at Nice airport and
Prince Albert's private jet has been pitured there as well.

Caroline, The House of Hanover and The House of Grimaldi

I was just looking at the guest list for the Queen Mother's funeral and Prince Albert was there representing Monaco and his sister and her husband were also there but Caroline was there for the House of Hanover not Monaco. However Princess Caroline is still a Monaco Princess but she was not there for Monaco. That is strange. And they had her listed as follows:

HRH Caroline, Princess of Hanover, Princess of Monaco. My question is why? Caroline is Princess born therefore styled by her own name, right? Charlene is supposed to written like this, HSH Charlene, Princess of Monaco but not Caroline. How does that work?

And isn't Princess Alexandra a member of the House of Grimaldi as well as Hanover as she is 5th in line for the Monaco throne? When you read about her articles lists only the House of Hanover and not her mom's family.

Last edited:
Possible because the House of Hanover, outranks the House of Grimaldi.

Rankings is one thing but isn't it more simple to say that royalty is a traditional construct? And as a traditional construct a woman's married status will always come before her maiden status. Heck even Prince Philip is, the Duke of Edinbugh first, a prince of the Greek royal house.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Princess of Hanover is PC's married name and Hanover is Alexandra's last name from her father. The Casiraghi's also choose to remain using their father's last name rather than Grimaldi. Any of the above can always switch to Grimaldi if it becomes necessary.

HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover

HRH The Princess of Hanover

HRH Caroline, Princess of Hanover, Princess of Monaco

Which is correct? I was told that the same rules apply in Monaco just like Great Britain, a woman not of royal blood cannot be styled as a Princess with her own name. This is the case with Charlene despite what is written. But Caroline like Alexandra is princess born this styled with their own names.

Did Caroline take her late husband's late name when she married him even thoough he had no royal title?

It depends on the country I think.
In Germany the noble titles don't exist anymore so there she is Caroline Prinzessin von Hanover (Prinzessin von Hannover is her last name).
Monaco does recognize the title so there she is SAR la Princesse de Hannovre.

According to the Palace website Charlene is SAS la Princesse Charlène de Monaco.
And she can sign Charlène de Monaco.
I don't think the British style is used in Monaco, but is used a lot by the press and on forums because the british royals are known best?

Last edited:
HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover

HRH The Princess of Hanover

HRH Caroline, Princess of Hanover, Princess of Monaco

Which is correct?

Caroline is currently styled, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover, Hereditary Princess of Monaco.

Before her father's death she was, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover, Princess of Monaco.

Before her marriage to EA she was, Her Serene Highness Princess Caroline of Monaco.

Caroline is currently styled, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover, Hereditary Princess of Monaco.

Before her father's death she was, Her Royal Highness The Princess of Hanover, Princess of Monaco.

Before her marriage to EA she was, Her Serene Highness Princess Caroline of Monaco.

Thank you. Now, I think I get it. Caroline is a princess and therefore styled with her own as far as Monaco is concerned but she is not a princess in her own right in the Royal House of Hanover nor in Great Britain where her husband also has strong royal ties. Therefore in those instances she is not and cannot be styled as Princess Carloline.

Thank you. Now, I think I get it. Caroline is a princess and therefore styled with her own as far as Monaco is concerned but she is not a princess in her own right in the Royal House of Hanover nor in Great Britain where her husband also has strong royal ties. Therefore in those instances she is not and cannot be styled as Princess Carloline.

She has nothing to do with the UK, ties or no ties. EA had to ask permission from The Queen to marry due to some age old law.

She can be called and styled Princess Caroline. For both Hanover and Monaco. Hanover don't use the same system as the UK, if that's what you're thinking.

Back
Top Bottom