General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have a look at the Wikipedia article:

Duc de Polignac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alain de Polignac is next in line; he was born in 1940. He is now styled "Prince Alain de Polignac" and has two descendants: Ludovic, Prince de Polignac, (b. 1974) and Diane, Princesse de Polignac.

Alain is a wine grower for the famous label "Pommery".

The Vicar-General of Monaco has confirmed that, barring some unforeseen difficulty, Pope Benedict XVI will be visiting the Principality some time in early 2012. He was evidently encouraged to make this statement following rumors that the visit would be summer of next year which of course sparked talk of the Pope marrying Prince Albert and Charlene (and those who actually thought such a thing could happen should see a doctor pronto!). I think Pope Paul III visited in the 16th Century, which I suppose would be the first papal visit. If that was the only one so far it will have been quite a while between visits.

:monacoflag2: :vaticanflag:

Pope Benedict XVI is due to visit Monaco in 2012, that's to say "it is envisaged " that he may come.

Apparently, there has been a rumour in Monaco that the Pope was to marry PA and CW in July, but that rumour was described as "évidemment totalement fantaisiste".

Le pape attendu à Monaco en 2012 | nicematin.com

Monaco is a principality because its ruler was recognised as prince by the french monarch in the seventeenth century. Similarly the reason that the ruler of Japan is called emperor is that when Japan was opening up to the west they made a decision that they should have a ruler with an equal title to that of the ruler of China. It actually makes no sense that he should be emperor since that title only really applies when they are above kings (China was formed from several kingdoms) but since they would be translating it they might as well equalise. This is also also an issue in Germany since the title furst is not actually prince. strictly speaking the princes of Monaco and Lichtenstein should have the approximate rank of a british duke. It is their position as monarch that counts not their title.

Pope Benedict XVI is due to visit Monaco in 2012, that's to say "it is envisaged " that he may come.

Apparently, there has been a rumour in Monaco that the Pope was to marry PA and CW in July, but that rumour was described as "évidemment totalement fantaisiste".

Le pape attendu à Monaco en 2012 | nicematin.com
Hi Renata, Do you think the fact of the Pope visiting may actually assist to break the alleged Grimaldi curse?

The Pope needs to do an exorcism while he's there. LOL

The Pope has more issues in his own house to deal with instead of worrying about some imagined Grimaldi curse.

I would have answered exactly like NGalitzine, only stronger :)

However, I suppose the Pope will be glad that, in Monaco, he will find himself less beleaguered, but may feel among friends.....

Principality?

Not sure if I got the spelling right or if this is the right thread. But because Monaco is a principality don't they only have a prince and princess as rulers? As a result when Princess Grace was alive wasn't she the equivalent of a queen in a kingdom?

Had to ask I was curious

To put it simply: a principality is less worth than a kingdom, which normally
is much bigger. A princess is of a lower nobility than a queen, even if that
princess is the wife of a ruling prince, so Princess Grace has not really been
on a comparable position, I would say.

iceflower said:

To put it simply: a principality is less worth than a kingdom, which normally
is much bigger. A princess is of a lower nobility than a queen, even if that
princess is the wife of a ruling prince, so Princess Grace has not really been
on a comparable position, I would say.

But as heads of state aren't prince Albert and QEII equal?

But as heads of state aren't prince Albert and QEII equal?

Yes, a head of state is a head of state regardless of their title. Heads of state are generally ranked according to their years in office not by their title although variations in the protocol in certain situations. For example the President of France always gets special treatment in Monaco no matter how short a time in office.

Wikimapia lists 72 Avenue Foch Paris as the parisian home of the Grimaldi's:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
But if you search on google it's the address of a Saudi Prince and before him it belonged to someone else.
I think I read somewhere that the Grimaldi's have/had a home on the Square Avenue Foch which is the square you see at the top left of the Wikimapia map. And that they lived close to Arthur Rubinstein who lived at n°22 Square Avenue Foch.

Question: On National Day, in the opera gala, Albert will take Charlene, who will be his wife by then, and Caroline (maybe).
Charlene will have to wear the monegasque sash like Albert, and Caroline won't wear it?
I don't know if this question belong here or in another thread.

It is officiel, pape Benoit will come to monaco in 2012,He will make a mass in the stadium of louis Ii in front of 22 000 people before he will visit the princely family ,my family and I are very happy, we could go to attend this mass, a big event

Question: On National Day, in the opera gala, Albert will take Charlene, who will be his wife by then, and Caroline (maybe).
Charlene will have to wear the monegasque sash like Albert, and Caroline won't wear it?
I don't know if this question belong here or in another thread.

Anyone who has received an order may wear it. Caroline has received the Grand Cross of the Order of St Charles and may wear it on appropriate occassions for the rest of her life. Stephanie has the Grand Cross of the Order of the Grimaldi and could wear it on gala occassions. Charlene will no doubt receive the Grand Cross of the Order of St Charles once she is married. There is no reason why all the ladies could not wear their orders at the same event.

The Pope will visit Monaco "at some stage in the next twelve months", or, in the words of his Vicar-General, "sometime in the first half of 2012".

Bad news for PA and the Monegasques:

AS Monaco has been relegated to Ligue 2, i.e. it is no longer in France's top division.
And it happened in the Stade Louis II ......and to add insult to injury, ASM's arch rivals NICE just managed not to get relegated

ASM has been at the top for thirty-four years.

P.S. One quote from the losers:

"...and let the "Rocher" fall on their heads....

Last edited:
Tomorrow is Ascension Day in Monaco (and France), and it also happens to be the day when the Principality celebrates the Centenary of the Cathédrale de Monaco, also known as "Notre-Dame de l'Immaculée Conception".

Five Eurovision countries will be transmitting the service: France, Belgium, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the Czech Republic.

The Monegasques themselves can watch on France2.

Kick-off is 11h.....

Is it true that Ascension Day is a holiday in Catholic Europe, where banks are closed and there is no school?

I read that somewhere a long time ago, but I am not sure that is the case anymore.

Moonmaiden, it is still a Catholic feast day. It always falls on a Thursday, and it is sometimes referred to as "Holy Thursday". That's what I found in my little pocket diary :)

However, I know that it is not a "Bank Holiday" here in Scotland, or England/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Is it true that Ascension Day is a holiday in Catholic Europe, where banks are closed and there is no school?

I read that somewhere a long time ago, but I am not sure that is the case anymore.

As far as I know no, at least here in Portugal it isn't, but pretty much of the most important catholic celebration are still holiday here in Portugal and as far as I know in Spain and Italy, in France I really don't know because France is a laic or secular state, even though Portugal also is.

Moonmaiden, it is still a Catholic feast day. It always falls on a Thursday, and it is sometimes referred to as "Holy Thursday". That's what I found in my little pocket diary :)

However, I know that it is not a "Bank Holiday" here in Scotland, or England/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Ascension Thursday is a Roman Catholic Holy Day of Obligation.RC Schools used to close in RC Southern Ireland when I was younger but thats no longer the case.It was however never a Bank/Public Holiday.

Holy Thursday is the day before Good Friday,its called Maudy Thursday in the UK but Holy Thursday in most other countries.

Thanks everyone. I know that it is observed more seriously in Europe than in the US, because of course Catholicism is not the predominant religion here in this country.

I am feverishly waiting for news of which stations here(if any)will carry the wedding live. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom