Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there's no obligation for there to be a royal precedent. Someone always has to be first! For instance, one of Edward VII's daughters was named Maud. I can't think of an earlier occurrence of this name in the RF, except for its being a version of Matilda and we are looking back a long way there.

Freddie Windsor's elder daughter is named Maud, so it is still in use in the RF.

Exactly So they are hardly going to give a new child the same name as one of G's cousins and probable playmates. Princess Alice was a Maud, it was her second name, and I tink that's where Princess Maud who became queen of Norway got it from.

George and Maud are classmates, next to being third-cousins-once-removed and possibly playmates. So, that pleads against using that name. Would Rose be an option as another name that has been used both as middle name and as first name for a less prominent royal (the duke of Gloucester's daughter)? I also like Jane; traditional, royal (9-day queen); and a Spencer name and can also be found in Catherine's family tree.

I didn't suggest Maud as a possibility.

I was looking for examples of first names being used for the first time in the immediate Royal Family. And not counting names that may have been second, third or fourth given names.

I think thtat Jane's a possibility. Not sure about Rose.

I think these are possible candidates:

Alice
Victoria
Alexandra
Margaret
Sophie/Sophia
Marie

Arthur
Leopold
Alfred
Christian
Fredrick
Albert
David

Not Alexandra and problaby not Sophie...
for the boys names, I don't think Leopold which sounds very Germanic is at ALL likely...Maybe Alfred is due for a comeback, or possibly Prince David.. as they did live in wales...

I have to say that I hope they have a girl, because I just don't care for most of the male names that have been mentioned.

The only ones I like are already in use.

Here are some names that are different and not unsuitable, none of which they will choose. :lol:

Anthony
Julian
Adam
Victor
Jonathan
Robert
Marcus

Robert maybe after Robert the Bruce?:lol:

Scotland had three King Roberts. I actually love the name ?

Never know, if the baby is a little rascal in his terrible twos, he could earn the nickname 'the little devil' :lol:

Victor also isn't off the table. Has been used, Albert Victor was George V's older brother.

I didn't suggest Maud as a possibility.

I was looking for examples of first names being used for the first time in the immediate Royal Family. And not counting names that may have been second, third or fourth given names.

Maude doesn't really suit your purpose. It wasn't a new name. Matilda of Scotland was commonly referred to as Maude. Maude was the Anglo-Saxon form of Matilda which was Norman (French). The name was also used to refer to Empress Matilda. Victoria used it for her daughter Alice as it was an honor to Alice's godmother Sophie Mathilda.

Andrew would be an example of a name new to the BRF. Yes it is a royal name, but from the Greek royal family. Of course named for Philip's dad.

For a totally unexpected, Alice. Victoria named her daughter Alice as it was said to be a favorite name of her PM Lord Melbourne.

Here are some names that are different and not unsuitable, none of which they will choose. :lol:

Anthony
Julian
Adam
Victor
Jonathan
Robert
Marcus
These are good but those three sound very regal once you put prince before them.

Sometimes I'm glad they won't choose some names because once it becomes too popular I start to dislike it. I always thought I'd name a girl Charlotte but now it's a bit too popularized.

Last edited:
Maude doesn't really suit your purpose. It wasn't a new name. Matilda of Scotland was commonly referred to as Maude. Maude was the Anglo-Saxon form of Matilda which was Norman (French). The name was also used to refer to Empress Matilda. Victoria used it for her daughter Alice as it was an honor to Alice's godmother Sophie Mathilda.

True, and I did say we had to go a long way back to Matilda. But I don't think Maud itself had been given as a first name before.
Possibly Tennyson's poem 'Maud' gave the name a popularity boost too.

Andrew would be an example of a name new to the BRF. Yes it is a royal name, but from the Greek royal family. Of course named for Philip's dad.
Yes, the equivalent of choosing Michael. We already have a Prince Michael of course - was his name a first in the BRF?

For a totally unexpected, Alice. Victoria named her daughter Alice as it was said to be a favorite name of her PM Lord Melbourne.
Didn't know that! Well, there is proof that there is no obligation to follow a royal precedent for names.

My picks are Philip Michael Edward for a boy and Amelia Alice Mary for a girl.

names for girls

Will and Kate
- Elizabeth Alleyne Victoria Rose
- Camilla Victoria Catherine Matilda
- Diana Elizabeth Cinderella Mary
- Theodora Alexandra Alice Elizabeth
- Agnes Elizabeth Lilian Caroline
- Apollo Marie Charlotte Elizabeth
- Ariana Beatrice Olga Christobel
- Margaret Victoria Agnes Christiane

George Philip Arthur Edmund William Frederick Louis Albert Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
names for girls

Will and Kate

Apollo is not a girl's name.

Last edited:
names for girls

Will and Kate

George Philip Arthur Edmund William Frederick Louis Albert Francis

George and Charlotte have three names each. I'd bet on C3 having only three names as well. So not four and certainly not nine.

:previous: That and I don't see them having two sons named George :lol:

I highly doubt we will see any repeats on names, Charlotte has Diana Elizabeth. Alleyne (comes from Serena Standhope's family) and Christobel (named because she was born on Christmas) seem highly unlikely.

Not sure which is more unlikely Camilla or Cinderella. ? Could go for a complete fairy tale theme and be Camilla Anastasia Cinderella Drizella. Certainly some have portrayed Camilla as such in the media.

Nor do I think they feel enough connection to Philip's greek roots (he wasn't even raised there) to choose totally Greek royal names like Olga and Theodora. Or Apollo for a girl????

Last edited:
I really think we'll see Baby Cambridge #3's name following the same pattern as those of George and Charlotte, i.e. three names each, first name followed by middle name #1 starting with a vowel and then middle name #2 starting with a consonant.

And I really don't believe that we'll see anything too unusual or unexpected for the names. While it's possible that they'll choose a name with a royal background that hasn't been used in quite some time, I really see them sticking more with the Alice, Frederick, Arthur, Helena type names. Admittedly I'd love to see them branch out a bit farther with Cecily, Adelaide, Nicholas, etc. that haven't been seen for some time, I don't really expect it.

I agree with Heather's conclusions. Although I don't see any significance in the vowel/consonant pattern - I think this is likely to be random.

I think that with G and Charlotte, HE was called Alexander as a second name in honour of the queen.. and the same with Charlotte obviously was called Eliz after her Great Grandmother and Diana after her grandmother.
but with No 3 they can choose to honour another important relative.. such as I HOPE Philip. I think that should be the second name for this baby,whether boy or girl. So mabybe Alice Philippa Catherine...

Elizabeth Alice Regina Mary Victoria
Roger David Philip William Alexander
Victoria Elizabeth Beatrice Sarah May

Each of those ideas more than likely has two too many names in it. George and Charlotte each have only three names, I doubt their sibling will have five.

I'd back

Alice Victoria Mary
Victoria Elizabeth Mary
Phillip Alexander William
Phillip David Alexander

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

They used Alexander for George. Doubt that they would repeat it again.

Someone should dig through the baby names thread for the pregnancies of George and Charlotte to see if someone got it exactly right prior to the names being announced.

A lot probably guessed George because it’s wasn’t in used in the immediate royal family and prior King Georges. I doubt many had Alexander

Can you imagine the headlines after this boy is a teen? Randy Roger (remember Randy Andy??) about town...

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom