Four years down the track; Is Mary OK now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary....

Mary is a lovely lady. I give her credit for the work she's doing it must be tough to be a crown princess.

princess olga said:
I agree with this entire post. As for myself, interestingly, (well, to me at least! ;)) I find that more and more, anything Mary-related only yields, well, indifference from me, for some reason, I increasingly could care less what she says or does.

To contrast this a bit, on the other hand, I find I have the opposite reaction with anything Maxima related these days. Until not too long ago, I was utterly convinced Maxima took it easy, had her cake and knew to eat it too. But I have noticed that when you actually look at the content of for example her speeches, that she is very very involved with the content of it, whether she writes the actual speeches or not. What's more, Maxima is really showing a distinct <vision> on the topics she is tackling, and not only a vision, but a forward-thinking one at that! Very impressive actually.

As impressive as I find Maxima's involvement these days, as UNimpressed I am with Mary. She seems indifferent, and it shows in her speeches. They are cliche and distant, unoriginal, and uncommitted. Written by a pro, and without, seemingly, much involvement from Her Royal Highness. When Mary was in Prague, she looked great, granted. But I couldn't help but think: what is this dime-a-dozen girl doing that she is getting this welcome? I just couldn't understand the fuss. And not because she is a common-man born princess: because of her own seeming indifference toward the world. Pay it forward, you get what you sow. Hence Maxima's success, which is inspiring actually, hence my indifference towards anything Mary. Her husband seems indifferent too. And lazy to boot. What goes around, seems to come around: if these royals could care less, why on the planet should I?

I completely agree with you.. Fred is so lazy.. I think the Danish RF should start noticing that.. How many times did we see Fred having an agenda.. not much..At first when they get married it seems that almost every week they have activities but now...hhmmmmm i haven't seen Fred in any other duties..If I were a Dane I would start considering it as a problem...It looks like fred is the one depending on his wife's popularity.. a bad sign for a future sovereign if I must say..:rolleyes: :bang:

She is doing fine

KelliB said:
Thank you, fellow Perth pal!

Agree

She went to the other side of the World with little experience of Europe plus the difficult Danish language and she is doing fine now. Put yourself in the position of coming here to Australia under a similair situation and with similair circumstances - it would not be easy and it was not easy for her and inevatibly in her eagerness to please she came of awkward and artifical on occassions. She will be ok

Surfcity said:
Agree

She went to the other side of the World with little experience of Europe plus the difficult Danish language and she is doing fine now. Put yourself in the position of coming here to Australia under a similair situation and with similair circumstances - it would not be easy and it was not easy for her and inevatibly in her eagerness to please she came of awkward and artifical on occassions. She will be ok
People move across the world all the time and often under much more difficult circumstances. Most of them don't have the luxury of being supported by a wealthy boyfriend.

madeleine victoria said:
How many times did we see Fred having an agenda
How many times have you looked at the place where his agenda is published?:rolleyes:

Little_star said:
People move across the world all the time and often under much more difficult circumstances. Most of them don't have the luxury of being supported by a wealthy boyfriend.

I know your response was in reply to another's post :) but surely your not holding that against Mary, Little_star.

I think most would agree that the support of her then boyfriend was something to be expected, especially when in a progressing and serious relationship.

Making a comparison (however slight it may be) to others world wide who have experienced a 'similar' life change (as in moving from one country to another) is not a fair comparison, for each situation is different and should be notably recognised as such. I think we all must take note of that.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I know your response was in reply to anothers post :) but surely your not holding that against Mary, Little_star.

I think most would agree that the support of her then boyfriend was something to be expected, especially when in a progressing and serious relationship.

And making a comparison (however slight it may be) to others world wide who have experienced a 'similar' life change (as in moving from one country to another) is not a fair comparison, for each situation is different and should be notably recognised as such.

That's right,
It's not like we can all be the Future Queen of Denmark now can we :lol:

Madame Royale said:
I know your response was in reply to another's post :) but surely your not holding that against Mary, Little_star.

I'm talking about financial support.

Madame Royale said:
Making a comparison (however slight it may be) to others world wide who have experienced a 'similar' life change (as in moving from one country to another) is not a fair comparison, for each situation is different and should be notably recognised as such.
You're right. 99% of people will make such a move under much more difficult, stressful and upsetting circumstances.

Little_star said:
I'm talking about financial support.

Yes, I meant all forms of support whether financial or otherwise. And to be fare, you or I aren't aware of the financial arrangements between the then Miss Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik. It is nothing but speculation :)

You're right. 99% of people will make such a move under much more difficult, stressful and upsetting circumstances.

If I may ask...

Why take the time to explore the obvious (by anyone's standards) when the differences are many and of no real significance given we were not talking of people in general, but of one person (two if you put yourself in her place as was proposed by Surfcity) I mean no offence, I just can't see its relevance that's all.

Madame Royal, I agree with you, I cant see the relevance as well.

Also, Mary's situation is different to most people moving countries. She was becoming a representative of a foreign country which I presume she had limited knowledge of. Now that is heavy stuff. Going to another country where you know hardly anyone and your going to be the Queen's daughter-in-law. You have to look outside the square, it would have been easy finacially for her, but thats where the easy bit finishes in my opinion. She wasn't just going to another country to blend in, she was going to become the representative!

Australian said:
Also, Mary's situation is different to most people moving countries. She was becoming a representative of a foreign country which I presume she had limited knowledge of.
I guess you must know something the rest of the world doesn't as Mary wasn't engaged to Fred when she moved to Denmark.

Madame Royale said:
Yes, I meant all forms of support whether financial or otherwise. And to be fare, you or I aren't aware of the financial arrangements between the then Miss Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik. It is nothing but speculation :)
Based on the unpaid bills a journalist found in her rubbish when she left (I no longer have the article) and the fact that she hardly had the most successful of job histories I think it's safe to say that she was being financially supported by Fred.
How else could she have possibly paid for her apartment in Copenhagen? It cost approximately $5000 a month.

Little_star said:
I guess you must know something the rest of the world doesn't as Mary wasn't engaged to Fred when she moved to Denmark.

Fred was her only link to Denmark little_star, she knew it was a possibility. Fred was the only reason why she went to Denmark, unless you know otherwise? She moved to Denmark knowing full well what her life may be like there. She wasn't going to Denmark to meet future boyfriends, she moved there to marry one she already knew, and had obviously asked her to move there. Now when a prince askes a girl to move to his country, i am sure its safe to say he wants to marry her. They both must have known that marriage was strong on the cards. Do you not agree with this Little_star?

Last edited:
Little_star said:
Based on the unpaid bills a journalist found in her rubbish when she left (I no longer have the article) and the fact that she hardly had the most successful of job histories I think it's safe to say that she was being financially supported by Fred.
How else could she have possibly paid for her apartment in Copenhagen? It cost approximately $5000 a month.
Excuse me for asking but why is this - which is basically Frederik's and Mary's private monetary affairs - yours or any one else's business?
No one questions the validity of such an arrangement if a husband pays for his wife or vice versa; if F&M hadn't exchanged rings but had an 'understanding' then I don't understand the obsession with their financial layout.

Little_star said:

It is unfortunate that you are unable to provide the article as I would have very much liked to have seen it, but perhaps I may stumble across it some time.

Not questioning what you have read, I think by your own admission that it was a journalist who 'found' (just because they write about it does not make it so unless of course they provided an authentic copy of the bill?) the document that its quite plausable to keep in mind the possibilities of factual neglect. I mean, we are talking of a journalist who is paid to stalk and dig up dirt on his/her assigned personage even if and when there is nothing to deliver. The willingness by many (if not the majority) within the industry to stretch the truth is nothing new and unfortunately will carry on for many years to come.

I'll see what I can do to get a hold of this article :)

Last edited:
Little Star, I remember too reading about unpaid bills found in a bin etc and it was in the thread re a new book about Mary written by Emma Toms. I had a look through and a lot of the linked articles are no longer available although there are some. I'm sure if you dig through this thread you'll find something!

UserDane said:
which is basically Frederik's and Mary's private monetary affairs.

Absolutely, UserDane.

Whatever arrangement (if there was one) was of no ones business but there's :flowers:

Lizy said:
Little Star, I remember too reading about unpaid bills found in a bin etc and it was in the thread re a new book about Mary written by Emma Toms. I had a look through and a lot of the articles are no longer available although there was this one which mentions going through bins but doesn't really mention what was found.
http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php/...olery-rampant/
I'm sure if you dig through this thread you'll find something!

Thank you, Lizy.

I will have a look through the link to see if there is anything of relevance. Re the book by Emma Tom. It is not new, but was published last year :)

I have Emma Tom's book infront of me now, and having just read the appropriate chapters, have not come up with anything relating to unpaid bills of a domestic nature in Denmark, let alone Australia.

Also pertinent to mention is that Tom's book is a slap stick take on the interest surrounding Mary, shown by many Australian's. Its not meant to degrade the Crown Princess, rather make light of the Australian interest shown.

Last edited:
Australian said:
Fred was her only link to Denmark little_star, she knew it was a possibility. Fred was the only reason why she went to Denmark, unless you know otherwise? She moved to Denmark knowing full well what her life may be like there. She wasn't going to Denmark to meet future boyfriends, she moved there to marry one she already knew, and had obviously asked her to move there. Now when a prince askes a girl to move to his country, i am sure its safe to say he wants to marry her. They both must have known that marriage was strong on the cards. Do you not agree with this Little_star?
May I ask why you've changed what you were saying before? Your previous post said that she was going to Denmark to be the "Queen's future daughter-in-law".

UserDane said:
Excuse me for asking but why is this - which is basically Frederik's and Mary's private monetary affairs - yours or any one else's business?
No one questions the validity of such an arrangement if a husband pays for his wife or vice versa; if F&M hadn't exchanged rings but had an 'understanding' then I don't understand the obsession with their financial layout.
Personally I think it reveals alot about a person. I'm thankful that my parents raised me in way that I would never even consider being "kept" by a man in the way Mary was when she moved to Denmark.
It reveals a lack of basic principles, imo. Of course you're free to disagree, which I'm sure you will.

Little_star said:
May I ask why you've changed what you were saying before? Your previous post said that she was going to Denmark to be the "Queen's future daughter-in-law".

She knew she was, i stand by that. I didn't change anything. She and Fred would have known, it's as simple as that. She isnt going to move to Denmark for no reason. Even though their engagement wasnt annouced to the public, they would have known in advance. So no, my story never changed.

Like i said Little_star, you have to think outside the square. They knew before the engagement notice came out that they were going to be engaged.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Not questioning what you have read, I think by your own admission that it was a journalist who 'found' (just because they write about it does not make it so unless of course they provided an authentic copy of the bill?) the document that its quite plausable to keep in mind the possibilities of factual neglect.
I see no reason to doubt the article as he mentioned several items of correspondence and photos were also found (which was published with the article).

The information about the unpaid bills came out in an article about the extreme media interest in Mary. A Danish tabloid paid an Australian investigator to get information on Mary, this was when she was still living in Australia. The investigator in question waited until the rubbish bin belonging to the house she lived at was put out onto the street. ( If it's still on private property it's trespass and invasion of privacy, if it's out on the street. No problem) At the time Mary was packing up her life to move to Europe, the investigator found old bills, her salary statements, an old driver's licence, basically a variety of things were thrown out. Around the time that Emma Tom's book came out an article was written by the investigator telling about what he found and his employment by the Danish tabloid. It was an Australian paper that published the story.

Lizy said:
Little Star, I remember too reading about unpaid bills found in a bin etc and it was in the thread re a new book about Mary written by Emma Toms. I had a look through and a lot of the linked articles are no longer available although there are some. I'm sure if you dig through this thread you'll find something!
I've never read the Emma Tom book so have no idea if she mentions the article there. A friend emailed it to me a very long time ago and I no longer have it. It would have been from the time she left Australia. Unfortunately I don't have the time to go looking for it.

Australian said:
She knew she was, i stand by that. I didn't change anything. She and Fred would have known, it's as simple as that. She isnt going to move to Denmark for no reason. Even though their engagement wasnt annouced to the public, they would have known in advance. So no, my story never changed.
As there is nothing to confirm that as fact perhaps we should maintain that it is just your opinion.
After all, didn't Mary say in one of her numerous interviews that there were no guarantees when she left and that moving was just the next step, or something similar?

Little_star said:
Personally I think it reveals alot about a person. I'm thankful that my parents raised me in way that I would never even consider being "kept" by a man in the way Mary was when she moved to Denmark.
It reveals a lack of basic principles, imo. Of course you're free to disagree, which I'm sure you will.
I'm sure that most of us were raised with principles - some more prominent than others. I have thankfully also experienced that with age some tends to get a better grip of the complexity of things and not only read everything in black and white.
I have other personal beliefs by which I judge persons and their actions :rolleyes:

Lets just put it down to it as being your opinion too, by the way, next step to what? marriage? of course.

Charlotte1 said:
The information about the unpaid bills came out in an article about the extreme media interest in Mary. A Danish tabloid paid an Australian investigator to get information on Mary, this was when she was still living in Australia. The investigator in question waited until the rubbish bin belonging to the house she lived at was put out onto the street. ( If it's still on private property it's trespass and invasion of privacy, if it's out on the street. No problem) At the time Mary was packing up her life to move to Europe, the investigator found old bills, her salary statements, an old driver's licence, basically a variety of things were thrown out. Around the time that Emma Tom's book came out an article was written by the investigator telling about what he found and his employment by the Danish tabloid. It was an Australian paper that published the story.

Thank you, Charlotte1 :flowers:

I shall quote straight from the book itself.

"...he has bank statements charting Mary's spending habits at shops such as Fish Records, Macro Wholefoods, Pelagio's Provedore, the Establishment Hotel and Stylz Hair Design, as well as a friendly reminder from Diners Club revealing that, at the time she met Fred, she was overdure on a $855.12 payment." (the unpaid bill it would seem)

Nothing to do with Denmark or the Crown Prince for that matter. Its a shame when extracts are taken out of context whether it be done purposely or otherwise.

being "kept" by a man in the way Mary was when she moved to Denmark.

Again, you have nothing to support this and I definitly dont believe speculation (or to some degree, wishfull thinking?) to assist the discussion in a healthy way.

Last edited:
Little_star said:
I see no reason to doubt the article as he mentioned several items of correspondence and photos were also found (which was published with the article).

Yes,

Also retrieved from the rubbish was a postcard, old letters, a drivers licence, contact addresses in Scotland, hand written side notes, a picture or two and other domestic household bits and pieces, inlcuding dinner leftovers no doubt :ermm:

It is even stated in the book that it is unconfirmed as to what actually belonged to Mary apart from the licence, Scottish addreses and old letters.

Madame Royale said:
Thank you, Charlotte1 :flowers:

I shall quote straight from the book itself.

"...he has bank statements charting Mary's spending habits at shops such as Fish Records, Macro Wholefoods, Pelagio's Provedore, the Establishment Hotel and Stylz Hair Design, as well as a friendly reminder from Diners Club revealing that, at the time she met Fred, she was overdure on a $855.12 payment."

Nothing to do with Denmark or the Crown Prince for that matter. Its a shame when extracts are taken out of context whether it be done purposely or otherwise.
I didn't say it had anything to do with Denmark or Fred so I have no idea what you're trying to imply.

Madame Royale said:
Again, you have nothing to support this and I definitly dont believe speculation (or to some degree, wishfull thinking?) to assist the discussion in a healthy way.
Nor do you have anything to disprove it. However based on her previous jobs (which were hardly exceptional), her lifestyle in Australia and the way she lived once she got to Denmark it's quite clear in my mind that she was definitely getting financial help (and lots of it) from Fred. However if you disagree, that's your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom