Engagement of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson: October 8, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
moosey60  Posted: Oct 24th, 2003 - 11:54 pm

Steve Irwin

Am I missing something here ? I thought Paul Hogan was the dude who starred in Crocodile Dundee.

"Ah, my daily life has been quite different since I’ve arrived here though. Um, I don’t have the, the um, daily routine of say for example going to a job everyday, um. My daily life is quite different in that, um, some days I’ll try to have as much Danish lessons as I can – as many Danish lessons as I can –ah, and then other days I have meetings with various people, um, organizing our wedding, for, for an example."
- Alexandra Manley

Josefine posted the link to this interview on the Alexandra board. I think it is great.

http://www.dr.dk/nsapi.dr/newton/media/ViewVideo.exe?ID=5613]

The quote above is the first response that is aired. When I heard it, I was horrified. If I had heard that quote in isolation, I would have thought Alexandra was dense and pretentious. However, as the interview progresses, she relaxes, finds her stride and by the end of the interview, comes across as smart, funny, and warm.

People, please, can we at least give Mary some time to find her stride? [If there were a begging emoticon, it would be inserted here]

lasu  Posted: Oct 25th, 2003 - 11:29 am

People, please, can we at least give Mary some time to find her stride?

That makes two of us.

Great article Iasu ... good of you to remind 'us' of similarities to an earlier event.

As an aside, I think I would have had (and might have had) some private thoughts of marrying outside of white when Prince J got engaged. In passing, there is no such 'colour' issue with Mary, is there ?

Originally posted by lasu@Oct 25th, 2003 - 10:29 am
"Ah, my daily life has been quite different since I’ve arrived here though. Um, I don’t have the, the um, daily routine of say for example going to a job everyday, um. My daily life is quite different in that, um, some days I’ll try to have as much Danish lessons as I can – as many Danish lessons as I can –ah, and then other days I have meetings with various people, um, organizing our wedding, for, for an example."
- Alexandra Manley

Josefine posted the link to this interview on the Alexandra board. I think it is great.

http://www.dr.dk/nsapi.dr/newton/media/ViewVideo.exe?ID=5613]

The quote above is the first response that is aired. When I heard it, I was horrified. If I had heard that quote in isolation, I would have thought Alexandra was dense and pretentious. However, as the interview progresses, she relaxes, finds her stride and by the end of the interview, comes across as smart, funny, and warm.

People, please, can we at least give Mary some time to find her stride? [If there were a begging emoticon, it would be inserted here]
What is so "dense and pretentious" about that comment, may I ask?

lasu  Posted: Oct 25th, 2003 - 11:29 am

... heard that quote in isolation, I would have thought Alexandra was dense and pretentious.

Its clear to me what Iasu means.

How about everyone gives it a day or two to think about it ?

I'm going out on a limb, but I think lasu meant dense because of the number of ums and ahs.
I honestly don't get the pretentious part thouh, sorry Lasu and King C. I thought she did a good job of explaining of how life was different for her as she was going to be a princess, not that she was putting on airs.

Originally posted by Starr+Oct 25th, 2003 - 1:23 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Starr @ Oct 25th, 2003 - 1:23 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-beebee@Oct 25th, 2003 - 11:56 am

What is so "dense and pretentious" about that comment, may I ask?
I'd like to ask also? [/b][/quote]
Meh, I see now that I was wrong in assuming that Mary was "dense and pretentious" or whatever...I dunno, I thought she was rather pathetic, but I see now that it was quite intimidating to speak to that media circus gathered before them. I do however think that Mary does try very hard to act more "posh". I think that Australian accents are nice-sounding, I guess she disagrees. She acts so...proper...she stands in her little stance. You can see the different between Mary and Margarethe or her step-mom. She's got one leg before the other...kinda' like she's trying to pose for somethin'. That pucker still bothers me... :yuk:

I have yet to have a cup of coffee, but here it goes:

Dense - because of the number of "ums," which were excessive, especially when compared to the ease of Alexandra's later responses. Also, she slips and says "as much Danish lessons."

Pretentious - because she cites having a job as an example of "a daily routine."

Everyone will have their own interpretation. I just wanted to point out that even the most charming of people have their off days, or questions, and that it is unfair and potentially misleading to ascribe personality traits to people based on how they photograph or the first few words they utter in public.

Lasu :flower:

Everyone will have their own interpretation. I just wanted to point out that even the most charming of people have their off days, or questions, and that it is unfair and potentially misleading to ascribe personality traits to people based on how they photograph or the first few words they utter in public.
For a public perona, there is no tomorrow, it's all now, now, now. This is a play by play if you are out there in the public. Of course, there will be criticism, once the play is on. Nobody will wait till tomorrow to play it back the critique. Because tomorrow has other players and other plays. If you are not adapting quickly to the stage, then, too bad, should have choose other lives.

mary
shoe fetish?:) we can soon start a thread on mary's shoes. all over, i have the feeling she has a much more modern, less conservative taste than lets say maxima...however, i bet that as soon as she starts participating at official duties which implicates long hours of walking and standing, she will swop to more comfotable, less high shoes.

www.imlimages.gr

Last edited by a moderator:
To: Alexandria

I didn't realize that there was a thread about Frederik and Mary's engagment. Sorry about the photos I posted earlier. Is there any way you can delete the thread I made?

Originally posted by Guest2003@Apr 3rd, 2004 - 2:57 pm
To: Alexandria

I didn't realize that there was a thread about Frederik and Mary's engagment. Sorry about the photos I posted earlier. Is there any way you can delete the thread I made? Below are two photos that have not been included in this thread.

http://194.68.33.51/fotoweb/bin/preview.dl...FF18058008C8CFD

http://194.68.33.51/fotoweb/bin/preview.dl...AA2682B96173AA7
Anastasia, that is fine. It can be confusing sometimes. No worries.

Thanks for the additional pictures. I thought we had them as I remember a discussion about how the presence of all those photographers, videographers and journalists is enough to intimidate anyone.

I have never seen these last two pictures before and wow! Can you imagine how that must have felt? Talk about being in a fishbowl. Tons and tons of reporters facing three directions all screaming at you, all the while lightbulbs flashing. If that doesn't make you want to run for the hills screaming, I don't know what does.

Mary should be applauded for the way she behaved. If I were in her position, I probably would have had a nervous break down!

we got to see some great photos this day
i do like her jacket

does anyone know who designed the coat and dress she wore in her engagement?

Kenth Fredin designed both her day outfit, (coat and pink dress) shoes by Valentino and bag by Prada, He also designed her greenish evening dress.

This thread has been completely converted to an ImageShack account now so that no images have been directly attached to the forum in an effort to conserve bandwidth.

It would be greatly appreciated if any newly-discovered images from this point forward would be hosted via a private image hosting account such as
Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please also review the images already posted and not re-post the exact same images over and over.

Please note that images which are attached directly to the forum are subject to removal by an Administrator or SuperModerator without notice to the member.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter so that we can all continue to enjoy images of our favourite royals.

The TRF Team

Thank you for these pictures PrincessofEurope! I will never get tired of looking at pictures of that day and that dress and coat. It really was divine. I do really notice now though how much paler CP Mary is now compared to then. She was really quite tan in these photos and her makeup is a lot heavier. I wonder if she did her own that day or if the makeup artist had to compensate for her darker colour? It dosen't really matter, but i wonder. I love the second set of photos where they look completely alone and into one another despite the fact that there are people around.

I was really interested in hearing Mary speak English on the above engagement video. I couldn't pin point the accent. Didn't come across as Australian. Does anyone know this accent -- first time I ever heard her speak her native tongue.

I was really interested in hearing Mary speak English on the above engagement video. I couldn't pin point the accent. Didn't come across as Australian. Does anyone know this accent -- first time I ever heard her speak her native tongue.
No accent, thats how we speak!!!! :ROFLMAO:From my point of view, Marys speech was very proper here and I think because she was so immersed in learning danish, she pronounces her words very clearly and has lost some of the aussie way of dropping some sounds. To me it sounds a little british actually. I think she also was thinking about the way she spoke and it didn't flow quite as normally or quickly as we speak. If you have seen the doco about Mary after the engagement and before the wedding you can see her dad also comment on her ' accent'.:flowers: To me she really thinks about what she is saying instead of just letting it flow.

Thank you missjane. I didn't think of that although naturally she did look a bit concern over exactly what she was saying (no wonder, I would have been scared to death having to have an interview before millions) I just know that she didn't have the same accent as my close friends from Kellyville & Coogee.

Mary, on the day of the interview, was looking so beautiful and I wondered, in retrospect, if it wasn't because her face was fuller--maybe just love shining through. I especially remember the interviewer who was so taken with her that he said, "you look beautiful."

Thank you all for the replys -- I too think that Mary looked absolutely beautiful the day of the interview. I give her all the credit in the world as she just had to know that people would be critiquing her ever little breath. Her Fred looked so proud of her.

Takes a special person and I don't really know that I would never want my daughters or granddaughters to become "Royals". Besides (tougue in cheek) there is too many black sheep in my family that would have been written about in the scandal press that would have embarrrased us all!

There are black sheep in every family. When you are in the position of a Royal family there are probably more ways to hide these sheep.Well, there have been some scandals with the DRF: before Mary Fred wanted to marry a lingerie model and that was refused by the queen, a relative of Mary in Tasmania was accused of rape , etc.It's not a perfect family,they are quite human, too.

Back
Top Bottom