Engagement of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson: October 8, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Josefine for posting that new photo from the gala. I have to say though that picture just shows me that Mary is a calculating and cold person. Everyone else can manage a smile, even Frederik has a little smirk, and all she gives us is this higher than thou look. You would think she would be smiling since it is her day and that she said that she can finally be open about her love for Frederik. This pic gives me a feeling of her saying in her mind 'Yes, I got the prize!' It does not look to me like this is a woman who is in love with the person standing next to her.

Originally posted by Just C@Oct 15th, 2003 - 9:32 am
This is her engagement, she should be happy! Everybody else in this photo from the formal dinner has some degree of smile or warmth except for Mary. She seems to be putting off an above it all, "Let them eat cake" attitude.
Mary has a funny way of kinda half smiling, it sort of looks like a pucker for a kiss. I know I used to practice that look when I was 11 or 12 years old.

But if her natural self doesn't want to smile, then it would be better she be honest, otherwise it would seem fake. Somehow I get the impression from CP Fred that this whole engagement/marriage routine is a great put on, a mockery.

If Mary traded real love for a crown she got a raw deal, but of course it'll take her a long time to realize that. :rolleyes:

Well said, thissal and I have to agree with you on all points.

Originally posted by thissal@Oct 15th, 2003 - 11:43 am
Mary has a funny way of kinda half smiling, it sort of looks like a pucker for a kiss.

But if her natural self doesn't want to smile, then it would be better she be honest, otherwise it would seem fake. Somehow I get the impression from CP Fred that this whole engagement/marriage routine is a great put on, a mockery.

If Mary traded real love for a crown she got a raw deal, but of course it'll take her a long time to realize that. :rolleyes:
Agree with all your points. This whole "wedding" thing is going to be a ball to watch.

Perhaps Mary doesn't smile because she was taught that in modeling class?

This is my favourite picture from the engagement. They look so much in love here. :heart:

Unknown Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Wha? She sounds like she can barely speak English! And what is with that accent? It doesn't sound Australian; it sounds like she's faking an English accent.

And how long did it take her to find words to describe Fredrich? And they've been together how long and she can't find one thing she'd like to change?

Originally posted by Bubbette@Oct 23rd, 2003 - 7:59 am
And how long did it take her to find words to describe Fredrich?
She seemed so nervous, I thought she did real good to remember Frederick's name. I think it was the Queen Mum of England who got raked over the coals for an interview she gave soon after she got married, so she never gave another one.

Fredericks manners don't seem to have improved around Mary yet. Very strange. Plus referring to the gift given to him by the interviewer, Frederick said "I don't have this yet". When is he going to start using the word "we"? Doubly strange.

I think she sounds very much like an Australian friend of mine, who, like Mary, had Scottish parents. Perhaps you were expecting something a little more Crocodile Dundee? :innocent:

I would like to make a suggestion. Try having a friend interview you on video and then watch the results. I have done this in media training and it can be a tremendously humbling experience. :doh:

imo, most of you ladies writing comments here, are too negative on Mary. Everytime I read an unpositive post, outright jealousy and the very essence of what cultured ladies don't want to portray about themselves comes to mind.

Frankly, I have read hardly anything positive and am of the opinion that you ladies are incapable of complimenting a lady who was in the right place in the right time (as opposed to the writers who were obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Reactions: EML
Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 23rd, 2003 - 8:33 pm
imo, most of you ladies writing comments here, are too negative on Mary.  Everytime I read an unpositive post, outright jealousy and the very essence of what cultured ladies don't want to portray about themselves comes to mind.

Frankly, I have read hardly anything positive and am of the opinion that you ladies are incapable of complimenting a lady who was in the right place in the right time (as opposed to the writers who were obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time).
I agree. This board is very negative. It takes the fun out of visiting when every other post says Mary is a cold shrew/Alexandra is a heavenly creature. Perhaps we could all try to be a little more empathetic? :flower:

Reactions: EML
I suspect that the right place at the right time is no where near Freddie for most ladies.

As an Australian I can tell you we generally don't sound like the way Mary does at the moment. She grew up in Tassie which IS an island but no where near as isolated from the major cities of Australia than say, Perth so I would say that growing up there does not explain her current accent. In any case, she also lived and worked in Sydney for a while where her Tassie accent ought to have become more typically Australian.

She sounds like a lot of famous aussie ex-pats who've gone overseas and euro-trashed their accents in a misguided attempt to sound more 'Klassy' and 'kulchered': e.g. Kylie Minogue, Elle MacPherson, Nicole Kidman etc etc. I think part of this phenomenon is due to the fact that when Australians open their mouths in a foreign country, we find that our accent sounds a little grating and much harsher than accents derived from Europe e.g. Steve Irwin. Granted Steve's accent is exaggerated but heaps of Australians talk like that! In sum yeah, Mary's accent is totally contrived.

I thought that I read somewhere that MAry spent some time in the United States, maybe that has something to do with her "diluted" accent.

Raven :flower:

Hi ravenprincess

I think Mary spent time in the US when she was little. I doubt that has to do anythign with her current accent. SHe spent most of her life in Tasmania and Australia

Speaking of accent, I think Mary was trained to speak with her current accent. Or perhaps, she's the kind of person who easily lose the accents quickly (is that how you describe it?). I had a friend from Australia who lost her accent within a year because her best friend was from Texas and they hang out a lot. Her accent totally changed to American. But now she's back in Australia and back to her native accent.

King Christian I just wanted to tell you how much I agree with you. I think us ladies need to remember everyone makes mistakes. That pitting Alex and Mary against each other is just kaddy. Diana made some of the worst fashion choices, but also some of the best. I think we need to give Mary time to find her self and where she fits. I think both of these ladies will give someting different and wonderful to their family. Why cant we focuse on the good insted of, I wish Alex was CP. Ok, off my rant and back to lurking.
PS. I thought Mary looked so pretty on the day they annoced the engagement

Nice work,

Alexandria

... in finding these last set of pictures, and posting them.

thissal  Posted: Oct 24th, 2003 - 7:00 pm

I notice Frederik has a bluish tint to his skin. I wonder if he has some circulatory problem or if that's just the blue blood showing through?

Five o'clock shadow ?

Ball room or also called reception room: Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancee Mary Elizabeth Donaldson watching the table to verify every details will be perfect for their engagement dinner. 10/08/2003.

www.ibl.se

Mary has really nice legs. A lovely figure in general - she just needs someone to help her out in the fashion department, although the coat she wore on her Engagement Day was both elegant and COOL.

I think when she's heavily made up, she looks a lot older and haggard than she is. Maybe it's just the colour they're using on her, but brown/bronze blush applied in tight circles makes her look a little like a circus clown. There was a clip of her watching Fred sailing on that 60 Minutes episode and she looked young and pretty in casual gear and minimal make up.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 24th, 2003 - 4:02 pm
Alexandria Posted: Oct 24th, 2003 - 4:02 pm

Ah Ha, we were both thinking the same thing at the same time :woot: .
-------------------------------

To King Christian,

No it's not a 5 o'clock shadow. His coloring is not good. The only other royal I've noticed with similar poor coloring is Princess Maxima. I wonder how her pregnancy is progressing? I read somewhere she has the toxemia sometimes associated with pregnancy.

thissal  Posted: Oct 24th, 2003 - 7:48 pm

No it's not a 5 o'clock shadow. His coloring is not good.

What part of the body are we referring to ? I read another comment about the colour of hands. But the face shows to me an aura of 5 pm shadow. Alternately .... it might be a stress thing too .... I get the impression he doesn't like to be "clothes-horse" for the media, look at the pictures of him looking at the cam, when the cam isn't on him.

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 24th, 2003 - 7:11 pm
What part of the body are we referring to ? I read another comment about the colour of hands. .......................... I get the impression he doesn't like to be "clothes-horse" for the media, look at the pictures of him looking at the cam, when the cam isn't on him.
First look at his hands. They are proof positive that he's one of those shape shifters, and hasn't quite finished his transformation from the royal dragon.

Seriously, don't you see the blue tone to his hands and lips? I have a fine tuned sense of color so maybe I see it better.

Yes, I've seen his "stressed" expression sometimes, maybe he was looking at the cam. He looks quite weary in some pictures.

Originally posted by lasu@Oct 23rd, 2003 - 7:45 pm
I think she sounds very much like an Australian friend of mine, who, like Mary, had Scottish parents. Perhaps you were expecting something a little more Crocodile Dundee? :innocent:
No,no, but she had a lot of hesitation in her words. Sure, she was nervous, but wouldn't she have prepared a speech? Or at least...known enough about Fred to be able to string two words together without an abundant mass of "ums"? Merm...lol, Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin? Naw, I highly doubt she'd have that strong of an Aussie accent but still... :blink:

Originally posted by moosey60@Oct 24th, 2003 - 11:54 pm
No,no, but she had a lot of hesitation in her words. Sure, she was nervous, but wouldn't she have prepared a speech? Or at least...known enough about Fred to be able to string two words together without an abundant mass of "ums"?
Lots of people use fillers in their speech, from both nerves, while thinking and forming what they are going to say next, and as part of normal speech patterns. For Mary it was probably at least a combination of the first two, nerves and working out what to say next. And if she tried to say things in Danish, too, she was probably thinking even more, thinking in English but speaking in Danish.

I know that when I interview people I use a lot of "ums" and "ands" to gather my thoughts and to skim my list of questions to see what I need to ask next.

So even if Mary had a speech prepared or (and probably does if she has decided to marry him!) knows enough about Frederik to string some words about him, her nerves probably got the better of her.

mary really is beautiful when she smiles. she doesn't look too snobbish or gloating. someone in the royal court needes to tell her to say cheese.

Hi!

Coming from New Zealand, and having an Australian sister and father, I'd have to say that (to my ear) Mary had a total lack of an Aussie accent. From what I heard, I thought she was trying very hard to sound like a member of the English aristocracy..

Back
Top Bottom