Edward and Sophie: Advice, Issues, Role and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A chest full of possiblities

I brought a chest full of royalty magazines - Majesty and Royalty, a whole lot of royalty books and newspaper clippings and special editions at a church sale yesterday. I have been going through it reading the articles, laughing at how odd the royals looked then and saddened by how full of praise and possiblities everything seemed.
Here is a few things I read about Edward which I didn't know before.
Edward was a keen wildlife photographer. He even learnt to develop them himself in a dark room. Together with Lady Sarah he would walk around the estates for hours taken pics. He even mounted and displayed several of the pics for a family dinner exhibition.
Edward played hockey, football, rugby, cricket and was in the choir and dramatic society at school. When asked about Edward widely increasing after school facities, the Duke of Edinburgh noted its because he couldn't make choices.
Edward learnt to fly as a cadet at Gordonstoun. He was only 17 at the time and according to his instructor took to the sky like a bird. The Duke of Edinburgh was very impressed and as a gift gave Edward, George VIII's wings. Less than a few months later Edward was ordered to give up flying, the Queen noted it was too expensive and she was convinced that he would die in an airplane accident.
Prince Edward once impressed his mother and Aunt Margaret by completing a Times Crossword that had puzzled them. The Queen Mother was unimpressed noting that he was not the crown prince and it was his job to act stupid.
Edward always wore his brothers' hand me downs until the age of 25 when he no longer fitted into any of their stuff. Some times Edward would not wait for the other royal to be finished with it. One pics shows Edward wearing Prince Andrew's shirt only a few days after Andrew had worn it.

Some interesting facts about Prince Edward.

I like the crossword bit, if the queen mother said that, then no wonder Prince Charles has turned out the way he has.:whistling:

It sounds like his parents took a great deal of interest in their youngest child.

I have been told by the reason Louise is not seen and that James will not be seen is Edward.
Edward apparently is very worried about his children been harmed by the press. Sophie and the Queen are concerned about it but are apparently playing it by ear hoping no doubt that he will calm down when the children grow up.
Palace couriers have requested that Louise be taken out on to the balacony and attend church with the royals, but Edward refuses to use his children as PR tools and has point blank refused.

I have been told by the reason Louise is not seen and that James will not be seen is Edward.
Edward apparently is very worried about his children been harmed by the press. Sophie and the Queen are concerned about it but are apparently playing it by ear hoping no doubt that he will calm down when the children grow up.
Palace couriers have requested that Louise be taken out on to the balacony and attend church with the royals, but Edward refuses to use his children as PR tools and has point blank refused.
I don't blame him, given the way the press has savaged him in the past. Also just look at the daily mail lately Princess Beatrice has been labelled as being fat, just because she has big thighs.

I also don't blame him for not wanting his kids to be used as PR tools either, given the way I feel Prince Charles's boys are used as sometimes. Even by their own father IMO.

Nothing wrong with being a protective Father.

Last edited:
All this is of course speculation, unless you have a link.

Why should they 'produce' their children, they will be in the media soon enough, meanwhile let them be ordinary unrecognized children.

Edward will be well aware that the media do not take much notice of the parents. :whistling:

I think that Edward is wise in this area. No doubt he remembers the public appearances he made and the effect that they had on him to be trotted out for public viewing. For a person as private as Edward seems to be, this must have been difficult for him. In theatrical performances, he was on display but on his own terms.

Prince Edward and Sophie should realize that their children are royal no matter what. Look at the rest of the family, they seem to have their childern out and about. Not to upset anyone but I don't think that they should be made special. Those children need to learn and understand that they have a Queen for a grandmother and maybe they would like to support the queen and have fun with all of the rest of the childern that come out.

Those children need to learn and understand that they have a Queen for a grandmother...
I'm sure the children will be able to "learn and understand they have a Queen for a grandmother" even without their photographs regularly appearing in magazines.

I agree with you Warren, the children will more than likely know who their grandmother is and was.

The Beginning of the end?

Last week the Telegraph wrote an article called the Future of the Monarchy.
Is this the future of the Royal Family? - Telegraph
Although it starts as a finacing issue, it leads in the fact the younger royals are now taking over from their elder uncles and aunts in the popularity stakes.
I am beginning to worry about Edward and Sophie's future in the royal family. And am now beginning to wonder if it involves been in the family at all? Not one news agency wondered if Edward and Sophie were there, asked why they weren't on the steps? They were simply forgotten. They shouldn't be concerned as neither was the absence of Princess Alexander and some others.

Edward and Sophie appear to be taken side lines whenever they can. Sophie appears to have became a royal housewife. Something she must be doing with the Queen's consent. Edward has made it well know that he wishes the younger royals to take on the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
When the emergence of William, Harry and Beatrice on the engagements calender, you must wonder if Edward and Sophie believe that their support and work will no longer be required, after all it was never really applauded anyway.
Do you argree with the article? Are the efforts of Edward and Sophie and the other minor royals whom don't even merit a mention in the article - pointless to the monarchy and Britian. Should their charities apply at Kate Middleton's door now?

I think one could ask quite easily whether anything any members of the royal family do is necessary? Does Britain need a monarchy?

But since it's probably going to still have one for a while, I don't think it's surprising that the younger royals are now attracting more attention than the older ones. In the 1980s all eyes were on Charles and Diana and Sarah and Andrew because they were the younger royals, in their twenties and thirties. Now their children are the same age. I think it makes sense.

As for Edward and Sophie, I think they're probably content to be seen as the boring older generation and forgotten about. They definitely don't seem to want public attention, and in fact they tried hard for a while to pursue non-royal careers. I think they'd be quite happy to disappear into relative oblivion.

I agree. I believe that the Wessexes will continue with their royal duties, but remain out of the public view as much as possible. Once Charles becomes King, I believe that they will scale back even more.

I think it's up to the parents whether their children are seen in public or not. Personally I don't mind if I don't see either child. I believe it's best for the children.

My issue is with Sophie and Edward themselves. I believe that both of them have used their royal connections for business gains. Sophie attempted to use them with her PR firm and failed miserably. She didn't mind being, "almost" royal when she lived with Edward as his girlfriend for 7 or so years at BP.

Edward's company was caught taking pictures of William at Eton after Diana's death, when the Palace asked the Press to please back off. Evidently it didn't mean his??

They've been the worst offenders (and people knock Sarah, Dutchess of York!)

I used to have tremendous respect for Edward, unfortunately it diminished as years went on, and then he married Sophie, who to me is no better than any other person who married into the family and divorced.

Hopefully he'll stay wise and continue to shield his children, the most certainly deserve that much.

It was at St. Andrews and not at Eton when Edward filmed, but William was not filmed personally. The footage was of the town.

I like Edward and Sophie very much, because after making some serious errors in judgement about business ventures they've shown themselves to be effective working members of the Royal Family. They cherish their personal and family lives, and I admire that. They've been married for nine years now, and there's never been any serious hint that their marriage is troubled. Given the environment that they live in, that's quite significant.

Sophie worst than the Duchess of York??? I don't think so IMO. When it comes to trading in royal connections for business.

Like Mermaid1962 said they made some mistakes in 2001, but they both learnt from it quickly. They both work hard as members of the Royal Family. Where their marraige is at is happy one, and success story when you consider the divorces of Pr Edward's older siblings.

I agree with what you Bijoux Boy when it comes to the issue of whether they want their children photographed in public or not. Thats up to them... I don't feel comfortable personally when children are thrust into the spotlight, it leaves them open to all sorts of stuff being written in the press.

Last edited:
I hope Edward finds some way to channel some of his enormous creativity and talent for making royal history vibrant. I so miss his fabulous documentaries.

He would be the best person to write and produce/direct a series on the royal history of England for Children.

I'm not so sure what would be the best avenue for Sophie other than tending to the daily needs of very young children which is the biggest job on the planet for every good mother.

I agree. I believe that the Wessexes will continue with their royal duties, but remain out of the public view as much as possible. Once Charles becomes King, I believe that they will scale back even more.

Maybe, maybe not. I believe that Prince Charles will welcome help with the family duties. State dinners must be a tedious bore. QE II always had cousins and family atteding.

Maybe, maybe not. I believe that Prince Charles will welcome help with the family duties. State dinners must be a tedious bore. QE II always had cousins and family atteding.

At State Occasions maybe, but that will be it.
When Charles becomes King, Edward and Sophie will scale down their duties substantially.

At State Occasions maybe, but that will be it.
When Charles becomes King, Edward and Sophie will scale down their duties substantially.

I do not think that Edward and Sophie will materially reduce the number of engagements they carry out once Charles is King. They are quite low profile at the moment, but effective at what they do. I think Charles will keep them on. Its the York girls that are likely to have very limited or nio public role, IMO.

I heard that some English magazines criticized that the Queen gave them the titel Earl and Countess of Wessex. This title was 1000 years not used.
The "Sunday Mirror" wrote: It´s a shame. Because it´s unmodern. Aha.

Royal titles are not meant to be Modern, so whoever criticised them knows nothing about royal titles.
And it was just less then a 1000.

I heard that some English magazines criticized that the Queen gave them the titel Earl and Countess of Wessex. This title was 1000 years not used.
The "Sunday Mirror" wrote: It´s a shame. Because it´s unmodern. Aha.

When the title for Prince Edward was released I remember that one of the titles that was also mentioned was Duke of Clarence. Of course there are some negative associations with that title! So Wessex is definitely better. Yet I too was a bit disappointed because I thought he would be titled a Duke, like his brother Andrew. I wonder if Prince Edward had much say as to choice. Any insight on that?

As for being "unmodern", that is a strange thing for the Mirror to write. After all even being titled a prince seems very old fashioned....

Prince Edward has gradually been taking over the work of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme, and the understanding has been that he will receive that title after Prince Philip dies. The title will revert to the Crown, but then it will be re-issued (recreated?) to Prince Edward rather than it being directed inherited. This was announced at the time that Prince Edward became the Earl of Wessex, which apparently was his choice of title.:flowers:

I wonder if Prince Edward had much say as to choice. Any insight on that?

It was Edward's choice, as far as I know. He liked the way it sounded (Earl of Wessex) and asked HM to be given this particular title.

is their a formal ceromony like when she grants a Knighthood??

is their a formal ceromony like when she grants a Knighthood??

You mean when Edward became an Earl?
No I don't think there is, just papers to sign and letter heads to change. Nothing like when Charles became POW.

Edward chose to be an Earl..

There used to be a formal ceremony when the new title holder took their seat in the House of Lords. Philip, Charles and Andrew all went through that but Edward never did. This applied to all new title holders.

My great-aunt had a great time watching her cousin take his seat in the House of Lords in the 1930s and told us about it a number of times after that. Her son was the representative of the Australian branch of the family invited when the next member of the family took his seat. Unfortunately he was an only son of an only son and had only daughters so the title is now extinct.

I would say keep doing what your doing and keep your problems out of the public because in your postion it is very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom