Dutch State Visit to Sweden; October 11-13, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guesses are:

HM The King of Sweden
No new Order: he already has the Grand-Cross in the Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw.

HM Queen Silvia of Sweden
No new Order: she already has the Grand-Cross in the Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw.

HM The King of the Netherlands:
No new Order: he already has the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Serafimerorden.
Maybe King Carl XVI Gustaf will bestow the chain of said Order on King Willem-Alexander.

HM Queen Máxima:
She already has the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Nordstjärneorden.
Maybe King Carl XVI Gustaf will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Serafimerorden on her.

HRH The Crown Princess:
She has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Wedding Medal 2002 and the Investiture Medal 2013, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Orde van Oranje-Nassau on her.

HRH Prince Daniel:
He has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Investiture Medal 2013, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Orde van Oranje-Nassau on him.

HRH Prince Carl Philip:
He has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Wedding Medal 2002, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Huisorde van Oranje (Kroonorde) on him.

HRH Princess Sofia:
She has no Dutch Orders yet.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Huisorde van Oranje (Kroonorde) on her.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will most likely stay at the Grand Guest Apartments at the Royal Palace of Stockholm during their state visit to Sweden. The Grand Guest Apartments will be closed prior and during the visit. Their Majesties will most likely be the first official guests staying there for a couple of years, mainly because of a renovation of the facade at the Royal Palace.

https://www.kungligaslotten.se/english/royal-palaces-and-sites/the-royal-palace/opening-hours.html

The Royal House of the Netherlands published today the program of the visit
Staatsbezoek Zweden – programma _ Nieuwsbericht _ Het Koninklijk Huis
Translation

The Swedish Royal Court published the program of the visit today.

The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel meet the Dutch royal couple at Arlanda on their arrival in Sweden.
Program för statsbesöket från Nederländerna och medieackreditering _ Kungahuset
Translation

Dutch Embassy in Stockholm at its Facebook
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will come to Stockholm as part of the Dutch state visit to Sweden. You can see them arriving by carriage in the courtyard of the Royal Palace, together with children from De Nederlandse School Stockholm. Please report to the entrance on Slottsbacken 1 no later than 11:30 to be admitted to the public area. The procession arrives in the courtyard at approximately 12:15. If the public area is full, people will no longer be allowed in, so we recommend that you arrive on time. We provide Dutch flags!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like an expected program, especially the focus on green energy and infrastructure. The visit to Vasa is no surprise, given the Dutch involvement in the construction.

Even more fitting would be if they would use the Vasaorden like they did earlier for some royal State Visits. But i don't expect it.

Thanks. Hopefully it will then be used regulary, because the last time we have seen was at CP victoria's Wedding and before that also not often.

And today the Royal Swedish Court shared the program for the state visit. Of course it's the same, but also that the Crown Princess Couple will receive the Royal Couple at Stockholm-Arlanda Airport before the start of the cortege from the Royal Mews. As usual the Kings will make a press statement at Lovisa Ulrika's Dining Room after the Official welcome.

https://www.kungahuset.se/arkiv/pre...ket-fran-nederlanderna-och-medieackreditering

Where can I see the royal decrees on the Dutch/Swedish official gazettes??

My guesses are:

HM The King of Sweden
No new Order: he already has the Grand-Cross in the Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw.

HM Queen Silvia of Sweden
No new Order: she already has the Grand-Cross in the Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw.

HM The King of the Netherlands:
No new Order: he already has the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Serafimerorden.
Maybe King Carl XVI Gustaf will bestow the chain of said Order on King Willem-Alexander.

HM Queen Máxima:
She already has the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Nordstjärneorden.
Maybe King Carl XVI Gustaf will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Kungliga Serafimerorden on her.

HRH The Crown Princess:
She has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Wedding Medal 2002 and the Investiture Medal 2013, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Orde van Oranje-Nassau on her.

HRH Prince Daniel:
He has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Investiture Medal 2013, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Orde van Oranje-Nassau on him.

HRH Prince Carl Philip:
He has no Dutch Orders yet other than the Wedding Medal 2002, I think.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Huisorde van Oranje (Kroonorde) on him.

HRH Princess Sofia:
She has no Dutch Orders yet.
Maybe King Willem-Alexander will bestow the Grand-Cross in the Huisorde van Oranje (Kroonorde) on her.

Probably Victoria and Daniel will be awarded with the Order of Orange-Nassau

Where can I see the royal decrees on the Dutch/Swedish official gazettes??

Probably Victoria and Daniel will be awarded with the Order of Orange-Nassau

The grantings of royal decorations are usually not published in the State Gazette of the Netherlands. Very strange as all Information should be open. But publications with names are often not accessible via the digital domain because of strict privacy laws: the digital domain is simply uncontrollable in privacy.

The Cabinet of the King (official secretariate) as well the Chancellery of the Netherlands' Orders will know every recipient of every Order and will have every Royal Decree in the archives but do not publish it.

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Victoria, Daniel and Sofia were today briefed about the state visit by representatives of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

The Swedish Royal Court updated to its website about the state visit
The public is welcome to attend the welcome ceremony at the Inner Courtyard. The cortege from The Royal Stables starts at 12.00 and the ceremony at the Inner Courtyard starts at 12.15. Entrance to Inner Courtyard is open at 10.15–11.40. Please arrive in good time to go through the security check upon entry and avoid queuing.

The Swedish and Dutch royal houses are close to each other. The King, Crown Princess and Princess Estelle have, or have had, godparents from the Dutch royal house. The families have met many times during state visits and official visits but also in connection with private gatherings.
Statsbesök från Nederländerna _ Kungahuset

Svensk Damtidning
- Their Majesties are staying in the guest floor at Stockholm Palace during the state visit, says information officer Johan Tegel.
And unlike Letizia and Felipe, Máxima and Willem-Alexander are therefore moving into the Royal Palace with their entire large entourage.
This means that part of the palace is currently being converted into a royal hotel. For the past week, the courtiers have been working on setting up the palace's guest floor: an extremely elegant 11-room suite that also succeeds in the art of being pleasant and comfortable at the same time.
Máxima has stayed here before, for example when she was a guest at Carl Philip and Sofia's wedding. But then she came without her husband and therefore stayed instead of the large master bedroom in the slightly smaller yellow bedroom.
Slottet görs om till hotell – inför Máximas ankomst! _*Svensk Dam

The Dutch royal couple are received in a welcome ceremony by the king and queen on Tuesday. The visit, which lasts three days, will be monitored by police drones with two drones that will monitor the Old Town, Skeppsholmen and parts of Östermalm on Tuesday between 09.00 and 17.00.
Höjd säkerhet när nederländska kungaparet tas emot i Stockholm _ SVT Nyheter

Last edited:
Its nice that the Dutch Royal guests are being hosted at the Royal Palce.

Ambassador of Sweden to The Netherlands tweets:
Flags hoisted and the sun is shining as Stockholm is putting on its best to receive Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima

Speaker of the Riksdag Speaker Andreas Norlén receives King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima on 11 October in connection with a state visit to Sweden.
During the visit to the Riksdag, the Dutch royal couple meet not only the Speaker but also members of the Riksdag. The foreign minister of the Netherlands also participates in the meeting.
Nederländernas kungapar besöker riksdagen - Riksdagen

As part of the Dutch state visit on 11-13 October, Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson receives the royal couple of the Netherlands, Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima.
Time: 11 October 2022 at 15.35
Statsministern tar emot Nederländernas kungapar, Deras Majestäter Kung Willem-Alexander och Drottning Máxima - Regeringen.se

Victoria and Daniel welcomed Willem-Alexander and Maxima to Stockholm.
Maxima and Daniel at the car

TT Nyhetsbyrån gallery
ANP Foto gallery
Profimedia gallery

JUST NU_ Victoria drottninglik på Arlanda – glamourösa Máxima på statsbesök i Stockholm _*Svensk Dam

Group photo at the Royal Stables, all six of them
Profimedia

Nice warm moment between Victoria and her mother.
Rörande ögonblicket mellan Victoria och Silvia – mitt under festceremonin med Máxima _*Svensk Dam

Cortege from the Royal Stables to the Royal Palace
https://twitter.com/jerschmale/status/1579777871991930880?cxt=HHwWgIDQwdjmv-wrAAAA

Welcome ceremony at the Royal Palace courtyard
https://twitter.com/jerschmale/status/1579781473670156288?cxt=HHwWgMDSjau4wewrAAAA

Group photo after the welcome ceremony - Estelle beside her godfather.
https://d0.momapix.com/legionmedia/....b1c1c47f20cf1d3253555b8cf83949c0&w=833&h=516

Taking the group photo
https://twitter.com/RickEversRoyal/status/1579788606272860160

Estelle had fun at the photo shoot. I guess she attended the lunch too.
TT Nyhetsbyrån

Apparently no Dutch order for Carl Philip as he was wearing the Seraphim at the arrival reception. Maybe he will change into a Dutch order in the evening if he indeed got one.

It is a pity that King Willem Alexander cannot wear military uniform. His business suit doesn't match well with King Carl Gustaf's and Prince Carl Philip's attire.

It appears that, as in Denmark, Willem-Alexander and Maxima used an Air Force plane rather than taking a commercial flight.

I am also surprised that Princess Estelle was also present at the Palace. I understand she is second in line to the throne, but isn't she too young to take part in a state visit?

Last edited:
Apparently no Dutch order for Carl Philip as he was wearing the Seraphim at the arrival reception. Maybe he will change into a Dutch order in the evening if he indeed got one.

It is a pity that King Willem Alexander cannot wear military uniform. His business suit doesn't match well with King Carl Gustaf's and Prince Carl Philip's attire.

It appears that, as in Denmark, Willem-Alexander and Maxima used an Air Force plane rather than taking a commercial flight.

I am also surprised that Princess Estelle was also present at the Palace. I understand she is second in line to the throne, but isn't she too young to take part in a state visit?
The exchange of Orders takes place during this meeting in the Guest Apartments, so I guess you're right that the new Orders will be worn later on today.

I was surprised to see Princess Estelle, but a nice one. I guess that they wanted her to meet her godfather, the Dutch King. Maybe a more private meeting, a fika, at Haga Palace could have been added to the program instead.

I guess he only got it after the Welcome Ceremony. It is indeed a pity that only the swdish and norwegian Royasl still wear Uniform at the Welcome Ceremonies of State Visits.
As for Orders i noticed yesterday after seeing pics from the last dutch State Visit to Sweden that Prince Claus never got the Order of the Seraphime, unlike Prince Bernhard.

I don't think Estelle is too young to take part part at the photo shoot and obviosly at the private lunch too, with her godfather and his wife. Prince Albert had Jacques and Gabriella with him at an official visit to Ireland last year.

King Carl Gustaf's statement for the press (in english)
H.M. Konungens pressuttalande i samband med statsbesök från Konungariket Nederländerna _ Kungahuset

King Willem-Alexander's statement
Brief press statement by His Majesty King Willem-Alexander (together with His Majesty King Carl Gustaf) in Stockholm _ Speech _ Royal House of the Netherlands

Svensk Damtidning writes about Estelle coming to the group photo
"It really shone about her, she was so proud and felt so grown up and beautiful in her checkered dress and with the obligatory Estelle accessory: the handbag! She has had it on her arm since she was four and nowadays you almost never see her without it."
Estelles oväntade debut – dök plötsligt upp på slottet! _*Svensk Dam

Andreas Norlén, the Speaker of the Riksdag, welcomed Willem-Alexander and Maxima to the Riksdag, swedish Parliament.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...mes-king-willemalexander-picture-id1243886525
Profimedia gallery

Photos by SPA
Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8

Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson received Willem-Alexander and Maxima, and Deputy Prime Minister of the Netherlands and Minister of Foreign Affairs Wopke Hoekstra.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...the-netherlands-together-picture-id1243887069
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...the-netherlands-together-picture-id1243887292
Profimedia gallery

Holländska kungaparet på statsbesök i Sverige

Estelle meets her godfather:
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...derna_foto_Sara_friberg_kungl_hovstaterna.jpg

Gallery from The Royal Stables
Legion-Media

Gallery from the photoshoot
Legion-Media

The wind at the Courtyard caused problems for Maxima.
Máximas miss under mötet med Silvia – fångad på bild _*Svensk Dam

The royal couples visited the Vasa Museum
Profimedia gallery
"Great. Well done", said Willem-Alexander to Estelle. And Daniel gave his daughter a hug and a kiss on her head.

Last edited:
I don't think Estelle is too young to take part part at the photo shoot and obviosly at the private lunch too, with her godfather and his wife. Prince Albert had Jacques and Gabriella with him at an official visit to Ireland last year.

King Carl Gustaf's statement for the press (in english)
H.M. Konungens pressuttalande i samband med statsbesök från Konungariket Nederländerna _ Kungahuset

King Willem-Alexander's statement
Brief press statement by His Majesty King Willem-Alexander (together with His Majesty King Carl Gustaf) in Stockholm _ Speech _ Royal House of the Netherlands

I agree that ten year old Princess Estelle is old enough to participate in the group photoshoot and the luncheon. Since she already knows the guests, it should be an easy introduction to the activities she'll be participating in for her future role.

I love that Estelle participated since W-A is her godfather. In the video of setting up the group photo he motioned for her to stand next to him.

I don't think Estelle is too young to welcome this particular Head of State, her Godfather. The families see a lot of each other as I've understood it.

She also seemed so thrilled to be there, she did well at her first State visit :)

I don't know the cost of taking an Air Force plane instead of a commercial, but I think it could be a good idea at a State visit. Lots of people are in tow, mainly trade and industry people but also people from the culture and science world. And one or two politicians I suppose. Might as well charter a plane, it's probably cheaper.

New orders will be worn during the gala dinner. At the welcoming ceremony only the previously recived orders is worn…

Royals in military uniform is on its way out in Sweden too… In the next reign there will only be Carl Philip in uniform (though i suspect he will stop wearing it too then to not look completely out of the place)

Estelle was there as the dutch King is her godparent.

I love the photo with Estelle and her godfather :flowers:

You can tell the families have a personal relationship outside rare royal tour. Estelle clearly adores her godfather and the other way. They were both beaming with happiness in that photo

Its nice to see Estelle. A bit young to go on a state visit abroad, or attend the banquet. But welcoming ceremony and lunch at incoming state visit is a great start. And it being her godfather makes it fitting. And likely less nervous.

The King can wear uniforms but prefers to do this at military engagements only.

From gala dinner

Victoria with the Amethyst Tiara. Nice to see princess Christina and Tord Magnuson at the dinner.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Victoria looks fabulous tonight
JUST NU_ Pompa och ståt på Kungliga slottet – Sofias succélook på galamiddagen! _*Svensk Dam

Profimedia gallery

Queen Silvia has looked tired the whole day, Victoria seemed to be worried of her mother and now queen Silvia is wearing that heavy tiara for hours. And no rest tomorrow.

The Swedish Royal Court has updated photos from the first day:
Statsbesök från Nederländerna _ Kungahuset

The guest list at the gala dinner
Gästlista vid galamiddag 11 oktober 2022 _ Kungahuset

King Carl Gustaf's speech at the gala dinner, he said among other things:
Like myself, my daughter and my grand-daughter have been fortunate to have godparents in the Dutch Royal Family. And of course, my daughter, Crown Princess Victoria, is very proud to be a godmother to your daughter, Princess Catharina-Amalia.
H.M. Konungens tal vid statsbankett i samband med statsbesök från Konungariket Nederländerna _ Kungahuset

King Willem-Alexander's speech, he said among other things:
Your Majesty, in a little under a year’s time, you will be celebrating 50 years on the throne.
Festivities here are often accompanied by the music of ABBA. This year, for example, you celebrated your birthday to the sounds of ‘Dancing Queen’.
Perhaps I can suggest two other songs for next year’s jubilee: ‘Super Trouper’ and ‘On and On and On’!
Speech by King Willem-Alexander at the state banquet on the occasion of the state visit to Sweden _ Speech _ The Royal house

Photos by SPA
Pic 1 ** Pic 2** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 ** Pic 10 ** Pic 11 ** Pic 12

Kungaparets pampiga middag för Nederländernas regent - Allt om kungligt

Which is fitting. Unlike the Swedish men, Willem-Alexander no longer holds any military ranks.As part of taking the throne he had to be discharged.

Like any veteran he does reserve the right to wear his uniform at official ceremonies and proper events. Military parades yes, state visits no.

Nice to see Silvia in the Braganza tiara

Last edited:
Wow, so it's the Stuart and the Braganca! Carat-power at it's best. :D I'm looking forward to better pictures and pics of Victoria, Sofia and Cristina.

Back
Top Bottom