Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Platinum Jubilee Tour of The Caribbean 19-26 Mar 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find this tour lacking so far in engagements. It seems light on activities and engaging in the communities. Maybe it will pick up pace in Jamaica and the Bahamas. So far I seem to think there has been diving, sunbathing and downtime.

However we do have to remember that their Belize itinerary was altered at the last minute due to cancelled engagements because of the local protest. These engagements are planned months in advance to coordinate the activities, transportation and the security for all involved not just the Cambridges. A cancellation does have a ripple effect on the rest of the itinerary and it was likely not possible to substitute another event without impacting the other scheduled ones.

Also I believe that it is important to remember that the host nations have their priorities as well when it comes to the joint planing of these types of visits. Belmopan and London would have planned this with an eye to what will benefit that nation as well as its ties to the Commonwealth. The government of Belize would have wanted them to be seen visiting their nation's highlights ie the coral reef, the Mayan ruins otherwise it would not have been part of their schedule.

Last edited:
They did make a political statement in speaking out in support for Ukraine in the war. It will be interesting to see how they participate in Russian-Anglo activities moving forward
I'm fairly certain that any "Russian-Anglo activities" will be rare and far between in the years to come so that will not be much of a problem.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge depart on their RAF Voyager Plane from Philip S. W Goldson International Airport on 22 March in Belize to cintinue their visit to Jamaica

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=775787915

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...f Cambridge and Prince William Caribbean tour

and back to Belize The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went scuba diving off Belize, which is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world:

"Belize is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world. While the effects of climate change are evident, the Government of Belize and communities across the country deserve huge recognition for their efforts to restore this incredible marine environment - with a commitment to protect 30% of it by 2030.

On Sunday, we were lucky enough to spend time diving at South Water Caye, directly above the spectacular Belize Barrier Reef. It was a privilege to see for ourselves the world-leading ocean conservation work being done here."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbaf5RkFuwF/

Last edited:
And the costs, somewhat surprisingly perhaps, have changed for this tour. I know that tours of Aus and NZ have resulted in large bills for the taxpayer, even in Golden Jubliee Year. Not this time apparently!

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...ce-william-caribbean-tour-2022-who-is-paying/

Thanks for the link.:flowers:

So the FCO & Sovereign Grant funds are paying in part for this. And so are the hosts. This makes the status of the Cambridges somewhat ambiguous. Are they visiting as representatives of the British Monarch or the Belizian/Jamaican one?

If locals have a grievance then it makes perfect sense to raise it with representatives of their own head of state but not with a foreign one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but https://people.com/royals/jamaica-removing-queen-elizabeth-head-of-state/.

To be fair, I only skimmed through the article and I believe it states that, although their is a growing republican sentiment in Jamaica, the Jamaican government seems staunchly monarchist. I don't that it'll have any effect on HRH The Duke of Cambridge or HRH The Duchess of Cambridge as both are consummate professionals.

On another note, how broad is this tour being broadcast. Speaking as an American, I remembers when royal tours performed by the more notable members of the BRF were reported everywhere. Now, I have to specifically look to find information about the current Caribbean tour. Is this normal for royal tours, is it being broadly, or has a general apathy for royal tours developed?

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but https://people.com/royals/jamaica-removing-queen-elizabeth-head-of-state/.

To be fair, I only skimmed through the article and I believe it states that, although their is a growing republican sentiment in Jamaica, the Jamaican government seems staunchly monarchist. I don't that it'll have any effect on HRH The Duke of Cambridge or HRH The Duchess of Cambridge as both are consummate professionals.

On another note, how broad is this tour being broadcast. Speaking as an American, I remembers when royal tours performed by the more notable members of the BRF were reported everywhere. Now, I have to specifically look to find information about the current Caribbean tour. Is this normal for royal tours, is it being broadly, or has a general apathy for royal tours developed?

I think the article linked below from this February shows just how ‘staunchly monarchist’ the current Jamaican govt is.

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2022/02/17/jamaica-makes-additional-moves-towards-a-republic/

From the article.

[FONT=&quot]’The administration of Prime Minister Andrew Holness has already committed to joining regional neighbors Guyana, Trinidad, Dominica and Barbados as republics and so far Holness has the support of the main opposition People’s National Party (PNP).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]’Former Attorney General Marlene Malahoo Forte will head the new ministry that the governor general says will preside over “the process to shift Jamaica’s status as a constitutional monarchy.” Critics say that announcement was the clearest indication yet that upstart Jamaica will make the switch this year.‘[/FONT]

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be much point in visiting a country that seems committed to becoming a republic if the aim is to showcase a monarchy.

Certainly not if some of their inhabitants insist on being unwelcoming towards the couple. And blame them for past wrongs for which they are neither responsible nor can do anything about.

I think it was wrong for this trip to not include the Cayman Islands and the Turks and Caicos Islands which are British colonies.

Here are two more videos of yesterday:

Last edited:
I watched the diving video in Belize - impressed Kate choose to wear her engagement ring

I am pleased they released a video of the diving - Belize has a lovely coral reef.

Good to see engagements in Jamaica where the public have got access

I watched the diving video in Belize - impressed Kate choose to wear her engagement ring

Me too! Plenty of people take their rings off whilst they're doing the washing up, never mind whilst deep sea diving! I'd have been terrified of losing it.

I think it was wrong for this trip to not include the Cayman Islands and the Turks and Caicos Islands which are British colonies.

They can't go everywhere. They went to wherever they were asked to go, and where the countries were keen for a visit

There doesn't seem to be much point in visiting a country that seems committed to becoming a republic if the aim is to showcase a monarchy.

Certainly not if some of their inhabitants insist on being unwelcoming towards the couple. And blame them for past wrongs for which they are neither responsible nor can do anything about.

the fact that a country is a republic does not mean it is out of teh Commonwealth.. and it does not mean that there will not be diplomatic relations between the UK and that country. and one of the tools of diplomatic relations is to have royal tours.

However we do have to remember that their Belize itinerary was altered at the last minute due to cancelled engagements because of the local protest. These engagements are planned months in advance to coordinate the activities, transportation and the security for all involved not just the Cambridges. A cancellation does have a ripple effect on the rest of the itinerary and it was likely not possible to substitute another event without impacting the other scheduled ones.

Also I believe that it is important to remember that the host nations have their priorities as well when it comes to the joint planing of these types of visits. Belmopan and London would have planned this with an eye to what will benefit that nation as well as its ties to the Commonwealth. The government of Belize would have wanted them to be seen visiting their nation's highlights ie the coral reef, the Mayan ruins otherwise it would not have been part of their schedule.
well obviosuly. Willl and Kate do not choose what engagements they will do, they are doing what the UK and the host country want.. and if there were protests, which meant that some engagements had to be cancelled there was not much that could be done about it.

‘the fact that a country is a republic does not mean it is out of teh Commonwealth.. and it does not mean that there will not be diplomatic relations between the UK and that country. and one of the tools of diplomatic relations is to have royal tours.’ Quote.

Generally speaking, and of course there have always been exceptions, the big showpiece royal tours involving senior royals are to the realms, to the countries where the Queen is the HOS, as this emphasises the bond between the Monarch, Britain and the realm involved.

the fact that a country is a republic does not mean it is out of teh Commonwealth.. and it does not mean that there will not be diplomatic relations between the UK and that country. and one of the tools of diplomatic relations is to have royal tours.

True but I was referring specifically to Jamaica. It has been reported that Jamaica is right now planning to become a republic. So what's the point in having a tour to celebrate the monarchy? Their monarchy. A monarchy they no longer want. Without wanting to be churlish it seems pretty pointless.

One they become a republic then yes if they chose they can invite relatives of the British monarchy for a visit.

Talking about Caribbean republics this is an interesting read about Barbados. There are conflicting opinions about China's involvement so it's not a settled opinion by any means.

Mods please move if there is a more appropriate thread.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/01/barbados-new-republic-a-win-for-china/

Last edited:
It has to be said that W&C could be served by better comms and PR people. If you’re one of their PR people and W&C are on a tour where there has been too much noise about colonialism and protests. And you see a bunch of people behind a fence.

You’d have to be half-minded to think, well yes W&C — go shake the hands of those Black people through the fence and let the photogs get the photo. As opposed to, let’s walk around the gate and actually meet them.

Not sure how this tour can be seen as a success at all, at least not internationally.

And before anyone cries that I’m saying W&C are racist or what they did was racists, I’m not saying either. In comms and PR, you deal with reality. And the reality is that such a photo or video would spread like wildfire in the year of our lord 2022 with all kinds of false narratives and misinformation.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the authorities in Belize are keen to attract tourists, and possibly funding for archaeological work, which is why those particular sites were chosen.

I think everyone, except maybe the Queen, accepts that Jamaica and maybe other countries too will become republics over the next 10 years. That doesn’t mean that they will necessarily leave the Commonwealth, and it certainly doesn’t mean that they will cease to have good relations with the UK, or indeed with the monarchy.

Of course not. When my native Ireland was separating from the UK, it was felt that a republic could not be part of the commonwealth but that was a long time ago.. and now, in spite of years of bitter ill feeling, rellations between the UK and Republic are much better and we've had several royal visits. Im sure hte queen accepts it if Jamaica wants to go, but she might wish that it does not happen until after her time.

True but I was referring specifically to Jamaica. It has been reported that Jamaica is right now planning to become a republic. So what's the point in having a tour to celebrate the monarchy? Their monarchy. A monarchy they no longer want. Without wanting to be churlish it seems pretty pointless.

There's footage on various sites today of the Jamaican Prime Minister telling William and Kate to their faces that his country intends to ditch the monarchy.

I feel so bad for the Cambridges. That's a decision Jamaica is totally entitled to make, and I wish the country nothing but the best, but it's a horribly awkward situation for W+K, especially when all they can do is nod and smile. They must be wondering why they are even there.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind this leg of the visit. IMHO, it's gone beyond being pointless into being embarrassing.

what are they supposed to do, flounce off and cancel the tour? Diplomacy means smiling and putting a face on it when visits or times are dififcult.

what are they supposed to do, flounce off and cancel the tour? Diplomacy means smiling and putting a face on it when visits or times are dififcult.

Of course not. I just think this leg of the tour shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. Jamaica has long since made its feelings on the monarchy and independence clear.

Of course not. I just think this leg of the tour shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. Jamaica has long since made its feelings on the monarchy and independence clear.

The Jamaicans agreed to it.. so if they didn't want W and Kate coming along and doing a tour they should have politely disengaged at the planning stage.

The Jamaicans agreed to it.. so if they didn't want W and Kate coming along and doing a tour they should have politely disengaged at the planning stage.

I agree Denville. The government of Jamaica did not have to agree to the tour. Kingston and London have been working together to plan the itinerary.

It has to be said that W&C could be served by better comms and PR people. If you’re one of their PR people and W&C are on a tour where there has been too much noise about colonialism and protests. And you see a bunch of people behind a fence.

You’d have to be half-minded to think, well yes W&C — go shake the hands of those Black people through the fence and let the photogs get the photo. As opposed to, let’s walk around the gate and actually meet them.

Not sure how this tour can be seen as a success at all, at least not internationally.

And before anyone cries that I’m saying W&C are racist or what they did was racists, I’m not saying either. In comms and PR, you deal with reality. And the reality is that such a photo or video would spread like wildfire in the year of our lord 2022 with all kinds of false narratives and misinformation.

In my honest opinion, the decision regarding as to where the public were permitted to gather was not made by the Cambridges' communication and public relations' staff but rather by local Trench Town authorities. The same authorities who would have been tasked with providing crowd security at the football pitch. This was likely determined to be the safest place to hold the event for not only the royals and the Jamaican sports stars, but one that could provide enough space for spectators.

And it should be noted that there were Jamaican athletes there at the event seen greeting the public through the fence in addition to the Cambridges. However the athletes were cropped out of some of the photos.

I mean I get why it's not a great look and if they could have then they should have gone around to greet those people. But they were willingly there to watch PW play football with local/international star Raheem Sterling among others (who did the same thing as the Cambs). No one is being held against their will or forced to shake hands through the fence. You can see people hanging around outside the security measures of training grounds of big teams like that all the time.

It should also be noted that one of the big voices in all this social media outrage is Omid Scobie....

That said, I do wonder why the government of Jamaica wanted a visit unless it was just to tell them to their faces that they intended to ditch HM as Head of State ASAP, which they already knew since it is not a secret.

The actual protesters weren't large in number and a lot of people did seem happy to see them at the actual events.

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...lls-kate-and-william-his-country-is-moving-on

It seems that the Jamaican PM doesn't understand that his country has been independent for the last sixty years:

"We are moving on and we intend to attain in short order … our goals and fulfil our true ambitions as an independent, developed, prosperous country.”

That said, I do wonder why the government of Jamaica wanted a visit unless it was just to tell them to their faces that they intended to ditch HM as Head of State ASAP, which they already knew since it is not a secret.

Seems to me that the Jamaican PM is playing to the gallery. Pity he had to involve a pair who have nothing whatsoever to do with this debate in Jamaica. Or with slavery or colonialism or anything else on his grievance list.

The Duke and Duchess paid a visit to Spanish Town Maternity Ward in Jamaica

Back
Top Bottom