Ducal Family / Duchy of Pless

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karloff

Commoner
City
Beckum
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out, who the current head of the Ducal Family of Pless is. Is it possible, that the line is extinct?

Thanks a lot for your help and and I am looking forward to hear from you!

All the best
Karloff

I believe the grandson of Daisy of Pless -Fürst Bolko b. 1936- is head of the family. He will be succeeded by a distant cousin.

Pless / Hochberg

Yes, Prince Bolko is an actual head of the House of Pless, but there are legitimate descendants of prince Alexander of Pless in Russia - they are the real heirs.

Why did Hans Heinrich XIX renounce his rights in 2003?
I don't know why, but it's a nonsense - He could renounce from real power and property, but according to the royal prussian act of creation of the title,
each live eldest male legitimate descendant of the 1st Prince must accept the title of prince of Pless.

I don't know why, but it's a nonsense - He could renounce from real power and property, but according to the royal prussian act of creation of the title,
each live eldest male legitimate descendant of the 1st Prince must accept the title of prince of Pless.

Thank you for this information...

That makes things more intriguing.

They used to be very wealthy, but they lost their castles after World War II and people turned against Daisy, Princess of Pless even though she was a well liked person there. There is a book about her and Daisy herself published books during the war years.

They used to be very wealthy, but they lost their castles after World War II and people turned against Daisy, Princess of Pless even though she was a well liked person there. There is a book about her and Daisy herself published books during the war years.
The family lost much of their properties during the 1930s due to debts and their estates were finally confiscated in 1944 because the two sons of Prince Hans Heinrich and Princess Daisy fought against the Germans in the British and the Free Polish armies respectively.
If you can get your hands on the diaries of Daisy they are a very enjoyable read.

Although the Principality of Pleß fell to Poland when Upper Silesia was divided after 1919 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles, the goods and the castle remained in the possession of the Hochberg-Fürstenstein family until 1945.

The eldest son Hans Heinrich XVII took over the administration of the property in 1932 because his father was partially paralyzed. Since he was too active on the side of the German minority, there were conflicts with the Polish authorities.

Eventually, there was a lawsuit due to tax arrears from the Pleß mining directorate. This ended with the property being placed under receivership in 1934. In 1937 the German-Polish Agreement on Upper Silesia which protected the princely property from expropriation, expired.

The Fürst von Pleß had to accommodate the Polish State in order to receive at least part of his property. As a result of the tax debts, 56% of the real estate in Poland was nationalized. The mines and industrial companies were brought into two stock corporations, but the shares remained in the possession of the heirs of the Fürst, who died in 1938.

After 1945 the Communists came and confisquated all properties. So many families lost their wealth under Communist rule and the Hochberg-Fürstensteins (Princes von Pleß) were no exemption, especially not as they were seen as a Prussian family in former East Prussia (now Poland) who had "to pay" for being German indeed.

The current Fürst von Pleß lives in München.

Although the Principality of Pleß fell to Poland when Upper Silesia was divided after 1919 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles, the goods and the castle remained in the possession of the Hochberg-Fürstenstein family until 1945.

The eldest son Hans Heinrich XVII took over the administration of the property in 1932 because his father was partially paralyzed. Since he was too active on the side of the German minority, there were conflicts with the Polish authorities.

Eventually, there was a lawsuit due to tax arrears from the Pleß mining directorate. This ended with the property being placed under receivership in 1934. In 1937 the German-Polish Agreement on Upper Silesia which protected the princely property from expropriation, expired.

The Fürst von Pleß had to accommodate the Polish State in order to receive at least part of his property. As a result of the tax debts, 56% of the real estate in Poland was nationalized. The mines and industrial companies were brought into two stock corporations, but the shares remained in the possession of the heirs of the Fürst, who died in 1938.

After 1945 the Communists came and confisquated all properties. So many families lost their wealth under Communist rule and the Hochberg-Fürstensteins (Princes von Pleß) were no exemption, especially not as they were seen as a Prussian family in former East Prussia (now Poland) who had "to pay" for being German indeed.

The current Fürst von Pleß lives in München.
Very unfortunate is all I will say on that.

The family lost much of their properties during the 1930s due to debts and their estates were finally confiscated in 1944 because the two sons of Prince Hans Heinrich and Princess Daisy fought against the Germans in the British and the Free Polish armies respectively.
If you can get your hands on the diaries of Daisy they are a very enjoyable read.
Equally unfortunate as well. Oh well, can’t be helped.

They had scandalous lives after the war, one of the sons married his stepmother.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were a scandalous family, even before the wars. Daisy was part of the set who indulged Wilhelm II's lust with parties of a very unseemly nature according to the gossip of the time.

JR76, I agree with you so much about reading Daisy's own diaries/autobiography. You can get many new books on the subject, and I've read them all, but hers is of course far and away the best: The Private Diaries of Princess Daisy of Pless – 1873–1914

I want a cottage garden just like hers, it's a very humble request on my part I think

They were a scandalous family, even before the wars. Daisy was part of the set who indulged Wilhelm II's lust with parties of a very unseemly nature according to the gossip of the time.

JR76, I agree with you so much about reading Daisy's own diaries/autobiography. You can get many new books on the subject, and I've read them all, but hers is of course far and away the best: The Private Diaries of Princess Daisy of Pless – 1873–1914

I want a cottage garden just like hers, it's a very humble request on my part I think
Duly noted

There is a statue of Daisy in the Polish town she used to live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stepmother of one of the sons was related to a Peruvian political family who had ties to the Mountbattens and the current Duke of Westminster.

The stepmother of one of the sons was related to a Peruvian political family who had ties to the Mountbattens and the current Duke of Westminster.
Don't forget that she was first his stepmother and then later his wife. As noted above they were a scandalous family. The same connections that ties the family to the Mountbattens and the Westminsters also ties them to the Abercorns.

Last edited:
Don't forget that she was first his stepmother and then later his wife. As noted above they were a scandalous family. The same connections that ties the family to the Mountbattens and the Westminsters also ties them to the Abercorns.
The first connection to the Grosvenor family was the fact the Daisy, Princess of Pless and Shelagh who was married the 2nd Duke of Westminster were sisters, so the only descendants of the 2nd Duke of Westminster through his daughter, Ursula are related to Bolko. Secondly, Clotilde de Silva y González de Candamo, second wife of Daisy’s ex-husband was the great-nice of Manuel González de Candamo , President of Peru who was also the great-great uncle of the current Duke of Westminster’s mother.

Back
Top Bottom